How realistic is Initial D...

How realistic is Initial D? I drive an automatic shitbox but watching this anime makes me want to learn stick and start drifting. It just looks so cool.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3Qg1qRM7rDbif1ejjL7GuMtQanjN-V9L
youtube.com/watch?v=5xkclmWlq7Q
youtube.com/watch?v=CfVSqKfVOiw
youtube.com/watch?v=eTtI4mkyePU
youtube.com/watch?v=It5-mb32spo
youtube.com/watch?v=IPQyQgyuNMI
youtube.com/watch?v=1jLjyPgZRIs
youtu.be/dNF5sic8WHo
m.youtube.com/watch?v=9kIb5mEnoic
i.yuki.la/wsg/1477088416995.webm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

fuck off

Drifting is retarded man. The whole weeb-culture that has popped up surrounding this is pathetic. It isn't even that cool to watch. Traditional touge driving is fine and if you want to aspire for that, go ahead. But these peopoe buying purpose built drift cars and shit are silly imo.

>Drifting is retarded man.
>It isn't even that cool to watch.
i disagree

drifting in rally racing at least is fun to watch because it's actually functional

not realistic at all

that being said the type of mountain pass drifting they are doing is pretty hard.

check out this playlist/vids to get an idea of what its like in real life. (in japan)

youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3Qg1qRM7rDbif1ejjL7GuMtQanjN-V9L

youtube.com/watch?v=5xkclmWlq7Q

youtube.com/watch?v=CfVSqKfVOiw

youtube.com/watch?v=eTtI4mkyePU

youtube.com/watch?v=It5-mb32spo

drift bible
youtube.com/watch?v=IPQyQgyuNMI

tbqh stick to video games and learn how to properly drive

THIS ISN'T THE ANIME BOARD THIS IS THE AUTOMOBILE DISCUSSION BOARD. PLEASE GO TO ONE OF SEVERAL BOARDS AVAILABLE TO YOU TO DISCUSS ANIME AND JAPANESE COMIC BOOKS. THANK YOU AND HAVE A WONDERFUL EVENING.

>no initial d on Veeky Forums

FUCKING KYS

Drifting in rally racing isn't what OP is talking about. That is completely fine.

Reported posting is a bannable offense

meme posting is a bananable offense

Who's the dude?

cant you read filenames?

youtube.com/watch?v=1jLjyPgZRIs

You can learn how to stick, that knowledge is useful but the whole drift thing is hard to pull.

Where are you located user?

fpbp

In terms of technical shit, it is realistic, but in drifting? Not possible, you can't go full drifting at 100km/h in a corner on a mountain pass without hitting the guardrail and dying.

Even if you have the skill that Takumi has, and the exact same car?

not op but thanks for the playlist

this

Let me spell it out for you
IT'S
A
JAPANESE
CARTOON
Would you watch a slow-ass show of slow cars doing the same drifts and speeds lower than 100? No. This is what initial d is for, it stirs up your curiosity, you see how awesome dagumi is drifting, how he uses the storm drain technique. Also the 86 is a slow piece of shit.

youtu.be/dNF5sic8WHo

Umm yes you can
Pros enter corners as tight as the average mountain pass at 160kmh

>rally drifting
Yeah that's not the same as clapped out S chassis with a thousand stickers on it and no bumpers with some Monster Energy sipping retard talking about his "drifting lifestyle"

Friendly reminder that Mr Regular is retarded and that AE86 is a chassis code while AE88 is a partial VIN string. Also, AE85 was a JDM only model that never made it to the USDM.

i'd like to learn to drift as part of improving my car control, nothing to do with kid's cartoons

Then go and attend advanced driving course somewhere

Judge for yourself.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=9kIb5mEnoic

wtf is wrong with this guy? he's so fucking unfunny

/a/ will tell you to fuck off because it's the anime board not the car board. To be honest it kinda belongs here because I'd rather discuss it with people who actually know anything about cars, not the fat greaseball neckbeards that have never driven a car once in their life, or at most, their mom's Camry.

>make grill watch stage 1 for lulz
>grill is hooked, can't believe the power of the 86
true story br/o/s

The best part about the AE86 is the whole spirit of the car's design.

It's a light weight economy car, with aggressive styling (for it's day) a decent amount of power (for it's day) and rear wheel drive.

A grocery getter that was capable of also being a fun drive.

They still made cars on that premise (Fun + grocery getting) through the 90s. People used to make fun at that time of the fact that the technical classification of "compact car" still counted cars that weighed 3000 lbs.

And now compact cars are flirting with that 3000lb mark again.

And economy car of course also used to refer to the economics of obtaining the car in the first place. (cheap, no frills)

The 90s were just such a great time for cars. Now everything has 6 million airbags, 3 different display screens, drive-by-wire throttle bodies and digital readouts that are disguised as analog gauges.

And then of course in all that BS they have to go through the effort of simulating the experience of feedback from operating the vehicle.

What I wouldn't give for a car with an actual throttle cable.

Well that's the reason why the anime is centered around the 86. Back then it was a cheap rw drift car that got popular because of it's price and usefulness, during the japan 90s drift era.

No, fuck you. Veeky Forums might not be the best board, but it's fucking LEAGUES better than other boards without a 'home base' anime. Look at /v/ for example, their only 'home' anime is shit they watched on Toonami, and look at the state of the place. Even [s4s] is a better board because of their board anime culture.

If you don't like anime but still wish to browse Veeky Forums, go to either /b/ or /v/.

Can't you just enter the drift earlier with a greater angle?

There's probably a difference between drifting on a flat vs. a downhill. Also, pros have race tuned cars that are stripped down and modified to give them the best performance for the type of race they're running. Takumi's 86 was basically stock at the beginning of the series.

The only reason to drift is if your car has shitty suspension and handling or you don't want to go fast.

>The only reason to drift is if your car has shitty suspension and handling

So are you saying that drifting is the only way musclecars can make corners?

Thats not "drifting"

Initial D is about as realistic as Need for Speed. Possibly less so.

Drifting on a track takes some time to learn how to aggressively throw cars and be able to put them exactly where you want them while controlling traction, speed and steering. It's quite the challenge, but once you know how to do it, it's simple. I prefer the idea of shaving tenths off my lap times by pushing the cars to their grip limits around corners, and approaching corners with varying lines and braking points.

Whatever you end up doing, drive safely on public roads. Don't fuck around. You'll put yourself and other road users at risk. Keep motorsports off the fucking road. It's not the place for it.

Okay but what about the 86 with the new engine his dad put it?

What if you were to put an engine like that in an 86. And the gutter move seems pretty realistic, should be possible in real life.

>The only reason to drift is
if you want to have fun

ya ok keichii, ima keep racing in public

>tfw you will never be a japanese street racer in the 90s

i.yuki.la/wsg/1477088416995.webm

the animations doesnt look realistic but theres a lot of research put into the driving techniques used in it.
Just buy an rwd shitbox and start skidding it at empty lots or something
you would have the money to invest to an actual driftbox

right in the feels
looks so fuckin comfy, wish I was there
is there a way to have a similar experience, preferably less illegal?

It's basically like this: It's realistic while the characters are discussing the techniques of driving, the technology and similar details. But once the racing scenes start, all realism goes down the drain.

Yes, rev matching by heel-toeing is gonna be required at that pace along with double clutching.
Yes, weight transfer matters.
Yes, good pedal work can replace a lot of wheel action to control the drift and either stabilize or destabilize the car at will.

No, drifting is almost never a fast way around a corner, it will slow you down too much if you need to keep the momentum and too little if you want to shave it off. Small angle drifts are helpful with low grip cars in slower corners when you need rotation so bad you're willing to sacrifice the part of that weakly grip, like rally drivers do on slippery surfaces.
No, you can't weight transfer your car so that you keep a front wheel in the air.
No, you should never go stealth mode in any kind of race to get an advantage. You want the opponent to know where you are at all times or you're seriously risking an accident and being a huge asshole.
No, nobody can't learn a track as fast as Dagumi and go 90% pace on the first run.

>Takumi's 86 was basically stock at the beginning of the series.
It was never stock, Bunta wouldn't drive a stock AE86 and become a legend on the touge.

Also don't forget the wheel in the gutter trick... Probably a bad idea.

Tofu jiggle +25hp

Basically this

>No, nobody can't learn a track as fast as Dagumi and go 90% pace on the first run.
Uh, yes you can, my grandfather has told me that when he was young his friends and him would race on new roads and they could go full speed after looking over the track once

Actually, that's kind of semi realistic. Rally drivers will, if the corner allows it, cut the inside as much as possible with the inner wheel to take advantage of the camber of a country road for maximum grip.

However, while you can do that trick with the road camber that smoothly increases as you get near the edge, you wouldn't be able to jump in the gutter at that speed. What would happen is that the wheels would be ejected from the gutter because of the sudden stress and it would heavily unsettle the car if not something more serious.

100% accuracy

>WTF?
More like "nani?"

Learning tracks is piss easy, you just have to be autistic enough

I use the gutter on a very long, ca. 200 degree corner here, a lot.

I also use stealth mode when passing friends at night.

>I also use stealth mode when passing friends at night.
isn't that just stupidly dangerous?

thats fucking crazy holy shit!
I thought the gutter technique was just straight up bullshit

>Takumi's 86 was basically stock at the beginning of the series.

It was never even remotely close to stock you fucking mongoloid.

Have you even watched the first season?