What's a good classic car to buy?

What's a good classic car to buy?

The one you're passionate about.

/thread

So a civic or toyota like in the cartoons then

If we bought cars with our hearts instead of our heads we'd be broken down at the side of the road.

If that's your passion and your dream, then do it.

If you're buying cars with your head you're not really in the market for a classic car.

They can be investments too.

I daily a '76 and let me tell you, buying a classic car is not a good idea for someone with as little knowledge as you

He said classic car

Is this a new form of autism, 40 years old not old enough to be a classic car?

It's gotta be one of the worst periods for automobiles. I'm sure there are a few classics from 76 but not many.

America was not the only country to produce cars in the 70s

That's less a car and more an art piece that will likely be kept in the garage undriven, try paintings or sculptures instead.

dude saw OPs pic on reddit.

just sayin.

Mustang or anything with a SBC in it honestly. Parts are plentiful and cheap. Most likely things to be reliable.

1st/2nd gen MR2
Any pre-1975 Pontiac
1st gen Mustang
2nd gen Corvair (if you can find one)
VW Scirocco 16v
Saab Sonett III
Pontiac Fiero (be very careful about these)

'76 trans am was pretty good

1st gen ones are good as well
you can get 30 mpg highway

They will absolutely kill you though, 2nd gen has revised suspension so it's a little less sadistic to drive.

Mazda RX-7 FD3S

>MR2
Sure if you wanna die

You've clearly never driven an MR2

I havent in fairness.
Im actually considering buying a mk2 lmoa i was just yankin your chahain.
Tho i have heard snap understeer can be a problem with stock suspension and wheels

Snap understeer is only a problem if you're not used to it, which is why mr2s get the stigma of being dangerous. Kids can afford them, and they act like they're untouchable gods driving them, so the car devours their souls and murders them.

I've had my heart set on a Fiero for a long, long time. Dad had one when I was little, had to sell it when we moved between states. Promised me he'd get a new one. Never did. Plan to get it after I graduate from college. Not the safest car, or the sanest car, or the most reliable for dailying, but...
I WANT IT SO BAD.

snap understeer doesn´t exist. you gotta be a real expert.

I think you mean snap oversteer, and it can be a problem with the 2nd gen models from 91-92 if you drive it like a fucktard. In 1993 they revamped the suspension and added bigger rear wheels. I've also heard removing the rear sway bar can help but I have no idea if that is the case. Personally I DD a 91 MR2 and haven't had any problems in any weather in the 4 years I've owned it.

Yeah, i meant snap oversteer. my bad.

Whoops yea i meant oversteer, theyre such great looking cars I might have to buy one, there are a few for sale near me for quite cheap but I havent seen the cost of insurance yet

Buy a classic car you love because you'll most likely be putting in a ton of sweat equity and money into it that you'll never see come out of it. So it has to be worth it to you.

Personally, I like the 68-72 GM a-body (GTO, 442, Chevelle, Skylark, etc) and 70-74 Chrysler e-body (Challenger, Cuda).

They have really nice lines and are a good midsized car.

Do you know anything about 87 mr2 manual transmissions? toyota usually gets a bad rap for their manuals but.......

Easiest way to tell someone who can't drive using the snap oversteer meme

I never owned a first gen MR2, but from the few times I've driven one they seemed fine. My 2nd gen manual is fairly good IMO and I haven't had any mechanical issues with it... yet.

The '79 body is my favorite even though they're gutless

One of the cars I'll have one day. Was looking for one when I got my 98.

Detomaso Pantera, plan on getting one of these too someday.

E24s and E31s are way underpriced imo (which is why I bought one)

>BMW
>Underpriced

u wot

BMW E30 is to own right now. 2.8 or 3.0. Prices are skyrocketing, but it's like a last minute call, to buy one from an unaware seller.

At least it's safer than a Spitfire. More weight in the back to keep it from jacking up.

>snap understeer
You're mixing memes again.

10 years too late for that boat. Cash for Clunkers and Spec E30 killed them all.

There is still hope, we didn't have C for C in EU. German market is vast, you just have to look really hard. And from what I know, Cali, for example has a good EU old-timer import policy.

You can grab an E32 750 for little money, usually for a good reason.
With a bit (a fuckton) of effort, you might be sitting on a future classic that is worth a lot of money.