Land Cruiser with a stickshift in US?

How do I get a diesel and/or stickshift Land Cruiser into continental US? Toyota won't sell it to me, but I've heard that it's somehow possible to get them in Canada and import individually. Any pointers, user?

what a brand new diesel manual landcruiser?

You import a 15 year old model and live in Canada or you try to do the same in the US and get your car crushed.

Elaborate - your explanation doesn't make sense without facts you're referring to.

For a start, the only stickshift J200 that was ever made was the lowly Hilux/Prado medium duty unit that only came with the 4L V6 in selected (re; third world) markets.
Secondly the only way to get a diesel J200 in North America is to import the everything you need (basically a whole donor vehicle) and convert an already registered domestic market J200 Landcruiser. Unless you wait until global diesel 200s are old enough to import.

It's not that difficult to understand. Canada implies a minimum 15 year age before an individual vehicle becomes eligible for import. The US is 25 years and if your vehicle is found to not comply it's destroyed.

>It's not that difficult to understand
Sure, if you know the facts.

>15
>25
Fuck. No Land Cruiser for me, then. I can live without a diesel, but no stick shift, for fuck's sake? WHY even? Too bad, I really liked J200 otherwise.

What's out there by other manufacturers that is similar to Land Cruiser? I'm afraid there's not too much competition for it.

retard, automatic is better for offroading in 90% of scenarios

Explain why.

Well the J200 is the civilised arm of the Landcruiser brand, which in other markets is sold along side the rough and ready J70 (much like the old 50 series wagon was to the 40),and these days automatic is the staple of civilised 4x4s. For those after a 40 series successor, there's the J70, although that's not really an option in NA. Seriously though, the autos behind the gas V8 is still a fantastic combination, as long as it's the 5.7.
That's only true if you're not competent to operate a clutch.

Prados are not j200. They are currently LC190 and come with various diesels and gas engines with the 4.0l v6 being the biggest.

They are also not shared with the hilux. The wagon version of the hilux is called the Fortuner these days, instead of the hilux surf.

Is the land cruiser not just a Sequoia minus the diesel? Why would you even want something like that to be manual? It's a generic blob SUV, not a off road machine like the FJ. Even with a stick it's going to be boring and only mediocre off road.

suck it up and buy a prefarted, semen damaged 70 series

>autos
>fantastic
See, I can't overcome my hate towards how the autos treat such a simple thing as roll over an obstacle.

With the clutch - you keep the gas where needed, gently engage the clutch until you start rolling, and disengage it with a drop as soon as you're over the obstacle - voila, zero jerk.

With the auto - you force the gas until you get enough force to roll over, at which point you're frantically reaching for the brake because your right foot is still on the fucking gas and the jerk is inevitable. No finesse.

Am I missing anything here?

>clutch
>competent

Learned to operate the clutch on a way-too-powerful V8 with a stern warning from those in the know that a slightest unnecessary slip of the clutch will burn it in no time. 15 years later, still on the first clutch on that car. Hopefully that counts me as at least somewhat competent.

>why even manual
here's why: >FJ
I'd have bought that in a blink of an eye, but the fuckers discontinued it.

Different user, but imagine crawling, but every five times you go up a gear on the side of a rock, you have to shift. It makes for a shitty trip.

>but muh manual
Honestly for hooning its important and fun, but it has very little place offroading seriously

He doesn't know the TLC is better at taking a good majority of off road courses.

Go lookup some basic YouTube bids before you come shifting up a thread

>Prados are not j200.
I never said they were. I said the Prado/Hilux unit (refering to the box itself) as backed up to the similar medium duty V6 engine.
>Is the land cruiser not just a Sequoia minus the diesel?
Nope, the Sequoia is a wagon Tundra.
The very reason I prefer manuals for offroaders too, supreme vehicle speed control. Being able to directly modulate the drive wheel speed with your throttle is great.
What autos do offer is torque multiplication. Where as the throttle controls torque output, not wheel speed (kinda like an elastic band). Better for slowly working your way over a square obstacle than a manual where you either travel at the minimum vehicle speed with your catch fully engaged or incorrectly slip it up the obstacle.

That's not the benefit of an auto at all. And as I pointed out, manuals have a large place in offroading.

I've seen many video's of British """off roading""""" In the UK off roading is just driving across a grassy sheep field. The biggest hill you have is less elevation gain than a lot of driveways.

OP think's he'll be rock crawling with a 5000lb grocery getter which probably isn't going to happen.

>crawling
Hear you, loud and clear. But crawling is totally different from rolling over a one-off rock on the road (and where I am there's a LOT of one-off rocks). With a manual, it's a non-event. With a stick, I won't be switching to crawl every time I need to roll over a rock, so crawl will be pretty much useless.

And, crawl and manual are not mutually exclusive (see Jeep Wrangler Rubicon).

>shifting often
Hmm... Different people, different tastes, different habits. I don't even notice shifting anymore, it's below the conscious effort.

>hooning
Not my cup of tea.

>supreme vehicle speed control
We're talking the same language, user. Hats off.

>OP think's he'll be rock crawling
Dude.
Where I live there's no fucking grass. Just rocks.

auto rules for towing shit and driving on sand, which is pretty much what any cunt in a new fourbie wants anyway. If you're going to go rock crawling and going hard in the bush (read: australia), you're not going to rape a brand new 4x4 into the ground anyway.

>you're not going to rape a brand new 4x4 into the ground anyway
Oh yeah baby, I am. That's exactly what I'm buying an offroader for - otherwise, what's the fucking point?

Just don't know what it's gonna be yet. Doing my homework - so far, Rubicon seems to do what I want the best, but fuck, it's not good for much other than offroading, unlike said Land Cruiser.

Not that LC doesn't have its quirks - did the dealership guy talk out of his ass when he said that there's no quick removal for the third row of seats, or they cannot indeed be removed without tools and a lot of elbow grease?

Then why not just buy an old patrol or 70 series?

Amen to that.
I'd say it sounds as though you'd be after a J76 Landcruiser wagon, but they're not available in NA anyway. Closest thing in America to a 70 series would be the Rubicon Unlimited.
Not available in the States.

Why would you get a Land Cruiser instead of a Range Rover? Isn't the LC kind of a forgotten brand just waiting to be put out of its misery?

>patrol
are you talking about Nissan Patrol?

>old
I've had my share of old cars, and got tired of it. If a car ages in my hands, I know exactly who fucked up what under which circumstances, and repairs and maintenance are easy. Also, the learning process is gradual, whereas with an old car its all at once, not to mention not knowing what shit is critical and what is cosmetic.

So, my principle is: buy a good new car, and get old with it. Costs much less than randomly buying old cars every few years.

Quite the opposite. The LC is alive and kicking everywhere in the world except for maybe where you are. In fact the replacement for the 200 (which has been in production for 10 years now) is said to be towards the end of its development. Doesn't sound like a forgotten badge to me...
Why would you buy a Range Rover over an LC?

Are you kidding? The landcruiser sells insanely well in Australia, where off-roading is quite often necessary, rather than just driving over a fucking rock with electronic assists for validation of your 80k spent.

Not saying that as a fanboy, either. I don't off-road but it's obvious how great LCs are when you look at their reliability, re-sale value and owner satisfaction.

The range rover on the other hand is not a proper off-road vehicle; when the landcruiser was introduced the range rover and defender quickly died off here in Australia. Buy one for your wife and her children.

>Rubicon Unlimited
Yeah, I'm afraid that's what I'll end up with. Shitty safety, shitty usability, shitty creature comfort, but awesome offroader. Bonus, it's a Lego for adults - but I wonder how much of that is bells and whistles, and/or bandaids to mitigate design deficiencies (like no lock on the hood).

Huh, in the US there's exactly one trim selection, and most Toyota dealerships around me don't carry the Land Cruiser. Certainly you can't get anything like the LC200 GX

>US
Don't rub it in. There's a lot of stuff that is not available in US that people take for granted elsewhere. For one, I'd very much enjoy a possibility of buying a milspec G-Wagen without those idiotic audio systems and navigation that is worse than the next year Android Google Maps, or, for fuck's sake, with manual rolldown windows, but alas, that's not about to happen.

Market positioning, they call it.

US market is vastly different when you have big fuck-off trucks.

People wanting a comfy SUV for taking the kids to school in can't afford it, trucks cost less (last time i checked anyway) and people who want a luxury SUV and can more importantly, afford one, go and get the g-wagen or some other shill-mobile. Really only a select only leaves a select few customers who know what they're after.

i've seen like maybe 10-12 gwagens in the us. In russia, kazakhstan, armenia you see them almost as often as you see the lx570.

why would you want manual rolldown windows? I've never heard of those ever causing a problem.

There's a couple of folks who dont like electric on here
I can't understand it, manual windows are a pain in the arse tbqh

It's not that I don't want electric windows - it's about the choice. With G-Wagen, you have none - there are three trims (G550, G55, G63), full to the brim with things that are good for soccer moms (like "premium audio" or "following cruise control") but that are totally useless for going offroad. They can't be removed.

I love the mechanical part of the G-Wagen, and the interior composition is way better than most of others. But $130-250k for gizmos I'll never use and that will break and become obsolete in five years? Fuck that.

Why? It's a luxury SUV.

It is also a very capable offroader - at least in configurations available outside of US.

>luxury
If your ambient temperature gets in excess of 50C in the shade, a car with climate control is not quite a luxury anymore. Vinyl or plastic roofs will not have the same level of insulation that can be achieved with metal unibody.

Sounds like you want something else. There's nothing wrong with the current 200 series. But you can't make it into something it isn't.

Try looking into a 25 year old import instead (if you're in the USA). You can get some pretty sweet stuff with turbo diesels, manuals, diff locks etc.

Check out the classified section at ih8mud.com

For a start, the European market received the 200 Series with 1VD-FTV backed by a H55F manual transmission with the engine derated by the absence of an intercooler and using the VDJ79 ECM.

>H55F

What's your confusion?

Citation? If it did, I just learnt something new.

Sure, give me a bit and I can rip a few photos from a LCOOL thread showing absence of intercooler and I think the compliance plate showing transmission as H55F. Normal VDJ7X got H151F.

Manual 200 Series are what we call a parts bin special.

That'd be awesome, appreciated.

You're saying it as if it is a bad thing.

Abysmal search function on the LCOOL forum. Only one photo.

This type of 200 Series is a VDJ200L-GDMRZV spec. VIN for this spec start with JTMJV03J2D40XXXXX.

No intercooler, 70 Series fuel injection and timing maps for reduced output, H55F transmission, HF1A transfer case.

Normal VDJ7X 70 Series have H151F (now H152F with taller 2nd and 5th) with HF1A transfer case.

Ah dickhead, that's HF2A transfer case on the manual 200 Series. Slip of the finger.

Even though it's manual they remain full time four wheel drive (HF2A) not part time four wheel drive (HF1A).

I don't think the H55F was available in the J200.

Well that's different. Also looks as though it kept the twin turbo charging of the 200kW version too.
While I haven't driven one of the newer MY17 VDJ70s, that new ratio box has been a long time coming. As much as I love the VDJ70s, that poor 1VD just never felt quite right on the highway with gearing made for the 1HZ.

Manual is still more fun. Hard to drift a 5000lb on dirt with an auto.

I was also wondering if it'd keep the full time 4WD.
I didn't realise that box was still in production either.

Rock Crawling is offroading, but not all offroading is rock Crawling.

It is, apparently. These 200 Series are meant for NGO and mines running 1HZ Landcruisers with H55F for cross compatibility. MMG still using 1HZ with H55F in dual cab 79 Series for this reason.

The box I'd imagine is not in production any more, thus the parts bin special. These 200 Series are very low production numbers.

My bloody oath. Turning 2400 at highway speed with a 4.5 V8 is silly. 33's helped drop mine to 2200 but I would kill for a H152F or Mark's Adapters overdrive unit.

I'm pretty stoked with the idea of those Mark's Adapters kits. Keeping the original ratios for high range offroading like beach driving, but having the ability to drop the tachometer below 2k rpm on the highway would be nice... And being able to drive your Vruis r like a Road Ranger would be novel :P
Now just to save for the overdrive kit... And the VDJ79 to fit it to!

>Vruis r
Cruiser*
Also on an irrelevant note, would you know by chance the offset various Landcruiser split rims? I need 6 stud ones for my application. Try to search but all it turns up is a convoluted mishmash of missinformative anecdotes involving forum users...