Without resorting to buzzfeed/tumblr tier "fat was beautiful :^)" nonsense...

Without resorting to buzzfeed/tumblr tier "fat was beautiful :^)" nonsense, can we have a thread about different standards of beauty throughout history and cultures? Can be male or female standards of beauty and relevant images are welcome.

I think Chinese foot binding is the most commonly known one, but I think ohaguro (black teeth dyeing) is more interesting. Black teeth were considered a sign of beauty and status in Japan for hundreds of years until white people arrived and introduced an alien standard of beauty.

So originally those venus figures were assumed to represent standards of beauty, but I now believe that the consensus is they were crafted by kept pregnant women while the men went out and gathered food. The reasoning is that the strange perspective that the figures represent is easily explainable by considering that it matches the perspective of a woman looking down at her pregnant body and carving what she saw.

Was it about teeth being black or about not being able to see the teeth?

Didnt they ever see other pregnant women?

Teeth being black.

I believe it has more to do with traditional Japanese lacquerware. Lacquer had been traditionally used to protectively and decoratively coat practically anything considered luxurious.

They simply extended this logic to women's teeth I suppose.

Not sure if it's related but to this day Japanese women cover their mouth as etiquette to show refinement and politeness.

Also, the Venus figurines doesn't have any faces.
Willendorf doesn't have to be preggo. It's probably a 2-3 kid mom who looked down and made a sculpture of what she saw.

>hairy, muscular men will never be popular again

;_;

What was considered the normal greek boy look everyone strived for

Still popular among gays.

The Greek Ideal is the only true standard of beauty. All other "standards" are just the results of degenerated social values.

>They simply extended this logic to women's teeth I suppose.

It applied to all nobles regardless of sex.

It's a sign of nobility, because noblemen wanted clean and perfectly align teeth. Before the rise of high tech dental care, there wasn't much people could do about rotting of teeth, yellow discolouration or unaligned teeth.

So Japanese nobility just straight up dyed it black to hide any flaws.

On battlefields the heads of nobles are worth more, so Japanese soldiers would be actively hunting for "black teeth" during wartime.

can confirm

bet you can

heh ur fucking gay lad

I believe Iran and possibly some other places many women desire to look paler and use a lot of things like whitening creams. Interesting that it's the opposite to a lot of white women who want to be tanned.

Iranians are white.

Nobody cares about them.

t. Mahmoud Rasooli

Rare traits are seen as the most attractive most of the time.

There are no different standards of beauty and there never were in different cultures. Beauty was always the same and it serves to represent a metaphysical, victorious (fertile) underlying truth which is transcendent, and obviously the same in all times, all eras, all cultures, all places on earth. Beauty is not in the eye of the beholder, beauty is divine.

Up until about a decade or so having a fat bottom was a considered ugly and horrific for women.

Cringe.

Take your sappy shit elsewhere.

Then explain why there are blatant ass shots in so many 1950s movies.

The beginnings of the social change. There is a reasons why the cliche of "does my bum look big in this" to "does this make me look fat"

There is still some cultural overhang which you will notice in the older generations when it comes to this.

Then apparently "the beginnings of social change" started around 1850.

I didnt say that big butts were never fashionable until the 21st Century. Only that that it was a period of change.

Having a nice big butt was always sought for, but being a hamplanet was'nt.
Check out the Venus Callipyge ( pic related )

Goddamn dat ass

>Having a nice big butt was always sought for, but being a hamplanet was'nt.

And the sex symbols of the current times like Beyonce or Kardashian would be considered ham planets only a handful of decades ago. That idolized butt is small and flat by modern standards

I think you have a skewed view of modern standards.

And I think you have blind spot for the past 60ish years

>beyonce
>fat
That's silly

>That's silly
Thats change. In the same way that Romans would find it silly that people would be attracted to butts bigger than than one in

>beyonce
She is a big woman.

For Jay-Z

Yeah sure

If you go outside once and a while you might find that most people don't worship Kardashians silicone ass

Most men don't care too much about Beyonce or Kardashian.

If I had to guess, someone like Eva Green would be more or less what most men like the most.