Burning smell from tires...I think

I will preface this inquiry by making it very clear I know very little about cars and car care. Basically the reason I'm seeking the help of folks who know much more than I.
I really appreciate any help.

So I purchased an 04 Honda Civic coupe about 3 months back. It's been pretty awesome so far :) but recently I noticed the belts next to the engine on the driver side will squeal for a bit (only in mornings or when it hasn't been driven for a while) it eventually goes away. Also noticed squeaking noise when I take my foot off the brake. I had a mechanic check it out, and turns out two belts need to be replaced as well as both front brakes and rotors.

The day I took it to the mechanic I noticed a burning smell coming from what seems like the front tires. The repairs come out to around $300 for the brakes and $150 for the belts. Thing is, I can't afford these fixes for about a week or so.

I use my car VERY often. I am a pizza delivery driver. The burning smell is my real concern. Every time I get out of my car after driving I can smell it, loudly. Though it seems to me like it's coming from the front tires (brakes), I'm not sure if the belts would cause such a smell.

My question is, whatever is causing that burning smell that's scaring the shit out of me, how safe is it to drive like that? And how long can I keep going before the repairs can be afforded?

Again I really appreciate any help.

Almost forgot. One last note, the brakes seem to work normal. There doesn't seem to be a problem with functionality. Just the burning smell (I think is the brakes) and the squeak noise every time I let off the brake.

1. Belts cost $10 each and are extremely easy to change yourself. I can't exclaim just how much I hate normalfags that are too scared to work on their own cars. It's easy as fuck and you save so much god damn money. Don't spend $150 for a mechanic to change them FFS. Also, they will work for a long time after starting to squeak, so go watch some ericthecarguy videos and do them yourself

2. Probably is your brakes. Also extremely easy to change. Watch ericthecarguy walkthroughs and do them yourself.

Bump

Sorry, I really need some input on this as I'm really scared. To smell a burning smell every time I get out of my car is quite scary, especially for me as I don't know how safe it is.

Thanks. I'll definitely check out those videos. But, the burning smell? Should that be fixed asap? Is it most likely the brakes making that smell?

Also, like I said I know very little about cars, much less about working on them myself. The only thing I've done myself is battery changes, oil changes and replacing a battery cable link. I'm not gonna kid myself and act like I can do repairs myself. Really, I just don't wanna fuck shit up, ya know?

The belts you can look up videos or buy a Chilton/Haynes manual and do yourself for the cost of the belts at your local autoparts store with basic tools. I'd say probably 20 bucks max if you own or can borrow some tools. the burning smell could be the belts if its a rubber burning smell. Is the car automatic? If it's manual I'd guess the clutch. brakes will almost definitely last you a week even if theyre crappy. And when I was delivering I brought home tips every night. you should have 300 bucks in maybe 4 nights working. No reason that should take a week.

Man, I wish I made that kind of money in tips. I barely make shit except for a few days out of the week. Mostly though the issue is having a day off to get the work done.

It is automatic. And yeah, it smells kind of like burning rubber. But like I said, it really seems that the source of the smell is the front tires.

are your tires rubbing against your fender at all when you turn?

I just want to reiterate, I know very little about working on cars. You guys both suggested I do it myself, but I really don't wanna fuck it up or make it worse. I don't have any tools or friends with tools for that matter. I would definitely give it a try if you guys think it's easy enough for someone like me to do.

Thanks again for the input. I really do appreciate it.

No. Not that I can tell anyway. I feel like I'd be able to tell if they were. Almost 100% sure they are not rubbing against my fender.

okay, do you have enough brake fluid? maybe your out and the smell is the brake on rotor heating up real bad causing a burning smell

No time to learn like the present. If you fuck up you planned on spending the cash at the mechanic anyhow. The only way to learn to wrench and stop getting fucked by the mechanic is to pick up some wrenches and try it yourself.

I will check that in the morning. Thanks for the advice.

Gotta say that sounds pretty reasonable. I'll look up some videos and tutorials and see if I'd be able to do it.

My main thing is, how long can I go with that burning smell? I was told in this thread that the belts will be ok if they're just starting to squeal so it must be the brakes causing the smell. Is that something I should do asap? Or do I have a bit of time to work with? Like i said the functionality of the brakes is still great, it's just that burning smell that's freaking me out.

Would be awesome if one of you helpful guys lived around the SW side of Houston, and had the time to come school me. I'd definitely get you a sixer or a few joints...or a meal...or money haha.

move over onto the other side of Texas and I'll swing by lol I'm in the NW part of Florida
Also just in case you don't know the brake fluid reservoir is usually a small looking box, make sure to read the manual to find out what brake fluid you'll need if that is the problem. Which that's all I'm able to guess

Will do. I planned to wake up early and make sure I can find the brake fluid reservoir, so i can properly follow that advice haha. Pretty sure I know exactly where it's at though.

Thanks again for the advice. I really wanna get this little problem out of the way.

no problem, if that's not it come back and we can troubleshoot again

Bam! Thanks a bunch for that suggestion. You were right. Brake fluid looked pretty low. Now I'm scared I might have a leak. Thanks though

word glad it worked out now drive it and see if the smell is still there, if not then you're golden. and don't worry I doubt you have a leak at all. recheck the fluid level tonight and see, if it's gone down a tremendous amount then yea you got a leak but I'm really doubting you do

>I can smell it, loudly.

Why is this so funny holy shit.

Anyway, you need to be more clear when you say "two belts need to be replaced"

Serpentine belt and AC belt? Or serpentine belt and timing belt?

The squealing and burning rubber smell is your serpentine belt literally being ripped to shreds. Get that shit fixed my dude or you're going to be stranded on the side of the road.

what the hell is a serpentine belt?

eurofag asking. Do you mean one of those friction reduced L-type belts?

Not sure how else to explain