/twg/ - Total War General

"If ovr senator is to become Emperor" edition

FAQs and General Info
pastebin.com/gZ1T9VCN (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed)

>Warhammer introduction to MP Lords and Heroes
pastebin.com/hPkPujTB (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed)
To update: Never pick anything other than Morghur as Beastmen.
Necromancer heroes are top pick right now while raise dead is still broken as fuck.

>Empty Steam Groups
steamcommunity.com/groups/totalwargeneral
steamcommunity.com/groups/twgmp

>ACTUAL Total War News
!
!
If you've been living under a rock these past few months, Shortbrindal is free now.
Waiting for Bretonnia (Late Feb, stop asking, previews and shit should be mid Feb)
!
We have battle map creating tools now. Only land battles and only for custom/custom mp games. Siege battles may be a possibility in the future but they're practically covering their ears and screeching at any mention of using modded maps to improve the campaign.
!
!

Mods -- twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?2191-Total-War-WARHAMMER-Modifications
>Recent
Update Info -- wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_WARHAMMER_Update_5
>Recent
DLC (good goy) -- store.steampowered.com/app/534331

Suggested Mod Pack (You can pick and choose from the list, Suggested by user):
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=817040576

NECESSARY Mod Packs
steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198005554297/myworkshopfiles/

previous thread:

What's the point of using missile troops that don't arc? Once the lines clash, won't they be useless?

You can move them around and make them shoot into the flanks. Units with big models can get hit either way.

>(embed)

Today is the day!

>422 AD
>55 region WRE
>strength rank 1
>Honorius is 43 years old somehow, on track to outlive his real life self

I'm scared

deus vult motherfucker

deus vult motherfucker

The boys have done well.

>jerusalem is no more
>alexandria is roman pagan
>jews control palestine

Deus Vult indeed.

fucking connection errors

>tfw nobody up
australia sucks man

I'm up if you know what I mean

You're woke?

But then won't they be vulnerable to my enemies missile troops?

I'm up.

>tfw 2-3 hours ahead of you

nigga where the fuck you live?

New Zealand.

C'mon son, pretty clearly NZ.

I'm also up, and playing ETW for the first time in yonks. It's held up pretty well, but fuck damn I'd forgotten how bad line inf is in early game. They can't hit dick and my cav and pikemen are doing all the work.

Aren't there hundreds of islands in the Pacific that technically have that timezone?

lol i forget you guys exist

There are yeah. a few of them are like 2-3 hours ahead of us (NZ) even.

Oh god it's worse if you're in the Americas, you think you're safe but those melee infantry will fuck your lines up.

Yeah, but I don't imagine they'd have a very big Veeky Forums browsing population.

That's why you have a diverse range of missile troops.

That's what your cavalry is for. If you're at the point where your ranged units are flanking, then it means their archers and cavalry are all that remain, allowing you to send your own cavalry and archers around.

Generally those kinds of units are either anti-armor or have high damage. So you want them to hit targets that will do damage to your line or just support your line.

If you having them engaging other missiles they'd naturally do worse due to the need for clear sight lines so it's best to engage enemy missile units with something else.

They're a bit gimmicky to use right so it's best to keep their numbers down to 1-2 units. (I'm assuming this is Warhammer you're talking about, if not then some of this does change.)

This is Warham btw

I'm asking these because I want to make a gunpowder based army and I'm having trouble using Riflemen because the moment lines clash they can't do anything. Can't even go for the enemy missile lines. Am I doomed to have to use xbowmen?

Fug. I don't want melee cavalry in this army. Whatever I'll just drop one in.

That's fair because the army I'm using them in is gimmicky in the first place.

Doesn't have to be melee cavalry. Sounds like it's a gunpowder army, so you can throw in an outrider or pistolier. They work well against enemy ranged units (that aren't elves/dwarfs, of course). You don't have to engage them in melee either, just moving in their general direction is enough to force them to run.

>Greenskins refuse to fire into their own ranks engaged with the enemy

wot da zog

>He doesn't know about the strict orcish code of honor
How's it feel being indoctrinated by stunty propaganda?

>orcish code of honor

bazinga?

Yeah, yeah, you just keep on drinking the Bugman kool-aid.

In Warhammer they will still be able to shoot at large units.

Also units with arcing shot rarely ever have armor piercing, so if you want AP skirmishers you're just gonna have to deal.

Also if you can get them on slightly raised ground they can fire down in front of the lines.

On the tabletop only the Skaven had a special rule that allowed the to shoot into active melee engagements

Ancient Empires fucking when?

Yeup, just helped my 13 Colonies after getting buttfucked by the Iroquois. I had considerable problems with fucking bowmen and standard melee inf, let alone medicine men.
Good fun though, getting into all sorts of shit. Mughals exterminated the Marathas and Mysore and kicked out France and Portugal, rebels took Ceylon and I'm waging a guerrilla war with one army running around the south of India gaining mad xp.
13 Colonies lost half their settlements to natives and now we're taking them back with France's help.

Sweden has gone full genocide mode and is conquering the fuck out of Europe while I sit off to one side and rake in mad trade node dosh.

Never ever user, we need to accept that.

>no historic twg game for years
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

I wonder how they are gonna rape Medieval 3.

>win the badlands bowl as Bloody Handz by turn 90
>Ready to release the green tide on the empire
>Fucking welfs have wiped out the entire Empire and only Middenland are holding on to a single settlement in the Brass Keep surrounded by 3 Durthu doomstacks

Into the trash that campaign goes.

>bloody handz
>green tide
>not browny-white tide

What matters is the green in your heart.

they said that they won't be making a third title any time soon, so no rome3/med3, they are especially unlikely to make med3 as all the nostalgia fags would wank over med2 too much

I want age of discovery or empire 2 above all else, though bronze age would be reasonably cool too

So I want to protect Rome as WRE. Any tips/advice?

Total War: Attila 2: 1234 AD when?

play extremely aggressively, you should be wiping out a barbar faction every turn or two, recruit priests and burn down all the churches on turn 1, send priests to regions were defending from rebellions is a pain, like Magna Grecia and Insulare Orienblabla, at first focus all your building on the few provinces that have the greatest money making potential, so the two provinces mentioned above, also Ravena and Carthago Nova, they should all have governors as soon as possible, your eastern borders should get garrison buildings in them asap as that will enable them to easily beat back 1-2 early barbar stacks on their own

WRE has been made significantly easier with patches so you should manage just fine

fight every single early battle to cause as many casualties as possible vs barbars

learn to cut your losses

Don't fight too hard if the enemy has axe units since they will just delete you

every settlement battle is a great opportunity to cause massive damage - just block off passages with testudo formation to hold the enemy down while killing their ranged units with scout equites

research comitatensis spears and legios from the start

What does Charge Bonus do exactly? The tooltip is kinda vague.

Damn it user you're making me want to reinstall Empire...

I really hope we do get a Empire 2, that game deserved better than what it got.

Adds that amount of damage to the weapon damage on a charge.

> Charge into unit -> Damage bonus gets applied for first attack -> Lose damage bonus until the unit charges again

Which is why shock cavalry gets huge charge bonus; they aren't designed for prolonged combat because they rely on the charge to deal damage.

Doesn't it also get added to the melee attack stat?

afaik its added entirely to the attack and damage values of the unit and then linearly degrades over 30 seconds

empires sheer scale makes it fun and unpredictable, its a shame CA never bothered to fix it, because it has incredible potential, and some neat features. Like in one of my campaigns as the United Provinces I had just finished conquering India and Persia, when a massive war against the Polish-Swedish alliance broke out, since Russia was allied with them and was moving armies to my borders I pre-emptively declared a war on them and invaded Russia through Caucasus with an army of veterans from India, while using my massive navy to attack the French and Spanish who also declared a war on me

this kinda stuff just doesn't happen in any other tw title

>Grimgor kills 400 dwarfs before he even reaches 3/4 HP

>Damage bonus gets applied for first attack

I thought it lingered for a short period of time after the charge and gradually disappeared after like, 10 seconds.

>Grimgor has a Potion of Healing

>Generic Dwarf Lord shatters 5 Orc units before he even reaches 3/4 HP

>it will never be the day

Is there a way to stop Skaven abducting my cattle? bloody ratmen target the growing towns instead of full-fledged cities

What the fuck is a Skaven?

Have you been drinking again? Do you mean Beastmen?

Can't decide wether to play Shogun 2 Rome 2 or Warhammer.

>Skaven

Silly mortal, my creator, Nagash, fought blasted ratmen before your wretched Sigmar was even born.

Hey, guys you know those ungors with no horns who act as spies in human cities and the like? You would think some of them might get used to the luxuries of not being the whipping boy for the whole herd. He'll, some of them might even decide to NOT go and report back to the herd at all.

What I'm saying is free company ungor

>Nagash

W E A K
E
A
K

Yeup, the scale is a big part of its charm. Crazy shit happening across three theatres is loadsa fun. I just wish it got as much attention as R2 or Warhams is getting from CA. There was so much wasted potential in the game.

But still a good game.

What DLC should I get, Grim and the Grave or King and the Warlord?

I prefer playing as the Empire or the VC, but it looks like the other DLC's brings ''more'' to the game.

Although even if it brings more, is unlikely I'll play as midgets or goblins in a long time.

Only a fool would call him that, it was his arrogance that was his undoing.

But I, Vlad von Carstein, will not fall in such a way. The Empire WILL be mine, and soon...

...unless I deal with bloody Skaven who keep abducting my mortals and slowing the growth of my cities. Seriously, is there a way to deal with them?

King&Warlord is the better DLC but if you're gonna play Empire/Vamps more you might get more out of Grim&Grave

King and the Warlord is the better of the two content wise. But if you're not going to play as either faction then you'd probably get more joy out of Grim and the Grave. The only thing it's really missing is adding in sub factions.

WE

HAVE

SURPASSED

Also, no, those events are entirely random and there's no way to influence them

King&Warlord also has much cooler Regiments of Renown.

Grim&Grave doesn't have anything on the level of the Gob Lobber or the Skalder Guard or the Spider Queen

Beastmen are kind of fucked in that they're beings of chaos with zero chance or desire for redemption, so I doubt any ungor that somehow evades detection would suddenly acquire a taste for civilisation.

Yeah, that's what I thought.
King&Warlord gives me more for my money... but I'm not interested at all in those factions.

On the other other hand Grim&Grave looks meh, but I enjoy playing Empire and Vampire counts in both, Campaign and quick battles.

You could perhaps wait until 28th when the Old World edition comes out, they might do a DLC sale then.

lol

The stuff for the vampires is actually really useful. Same with the RoR for both sides. The main issues are the Empire units. They're not bad just more niche.

Total war is a great series that will be forever doomed to be hated by the steam community because they give free content and paid dlc on a regular basis.

Poor fags will be the end of total war if the reviews scare of enough new buyers, this could ruin the next historical game because the practice has not changed since Shogun 2 only the community.

Yeah, I thought about that, but even in that case, what would the sale? -10%?

Meh.

Both are very good, the units that they bring really change the factions.

Morris engine is a key part in a VC army, and strigoi is fantastic.

Empire get a nice low tier unit in the free company, knight blazing Sun are very cool and great answer to wood elf tree units flaggelents are good against terror builds.

If you can get both at some point I recommend it, the gobbo units have absolutely changed GS for me.

Total Warhammer should give you access to DLC units if you can present pictures of yourself holding said units' miniature to prove you own it.

E.g. I got a corpse cart mini - I get access to corpse carts without G&G.
I got a Wood Elf army on my shelf - I can play Wood Elves.

>today wasn't the day

At best -25%

Another thing too is, (and we don't know for sure but) there could be two more packs like GatG/KatW covering the still missing units. for the core factions.

Threadly reminder:

Faction rosters ranked by completeness:

1) Vampires @ 96%
2) Dwarfs @ 92%
3) Wood Elves @ 84%
4) Empire @ 77%
5) Beastmen @ 76%
6) Greenskins @ 71%
7) Warriors of Chaos @ 66%

>$120 for incomplete factions

Having played r1, m2 and R2, I'm kind of not getting how charging works. On the first charge of a cavalry unit, it's powerful enough to send infantry flying and shatter formation but when I move them alway and charge the 2nd time they hit like wet noodles. Sometime when I let them out of a battle for a bit, they can actually charge again. Is there some sort of hidden cool down or mechanics I'm not aware of?

Is there Isabella in the game? Or I can just hire a random vampire and call her Isabella to accompany my Vlad?

so what's missing? a comprehensive list?

>Is there Isabella in the game?

No.

Ironically there are unused voice files.

>Or I can just hire a random vampire and call her Isabella to accompany my Vlad?

That you can do.

probably for future DLC.

okay, one shadow hotness, coming up

Is there some sort of gallery with all models from TW:WH? Some of them are original creations, rather than WHFB mini copies, so I want to harvest them for conversion ideas? renders or concepts, I don't care.

Vampires - Spirit Hosts
Dwarfs - Dragon Slayer Hero, Daemon Slayer Lord
Wood Elves - Spellweaver Lord, Glade Captain, Shadow Dancer
Empire - Wizard Lord, Grandmaster Lords, Master Engineer Hero, Archers, Huntsmen, Hurricanum
Beastmen - Doombull Lord, Wargor Hero, Jabberslythe, Ghorgon
Greenskins - Savage Orc Warboss Lord, Orc Big Boss Hero, Spearkchukka, Snotlings, Pump Wagon, Mangler Squigs, Stone Trolls, River Trolls
Chaos - Daemon Prince Lord, Hellstriders, Ogres, Chimeras, Warshrines, Skullcrushers, Slaughterbrutes, Vortex Beasts

+a whole lot of named lords and named heroes.

A full charge happens when they're far enough away to reach 100% speed, with a little bit of distance extra left so the cavalry can transition into the charge animation from the full-sprint one.

tl;dr give your cav enough ground to speed up first, then the charge will trigger

This week is the week though, wed or thur for stream and bretonnia stuff.

Pretty much all the roles are met in one way or another, and half the units are pointless/replicated by another unit.

If both DLC were at -25%, what should I get, Beastmen or Wood elves?

> there could be two more packs like GatG/KatW
Really?
I'm enjoying the game, but it feels like the DCL's in Warhammer are the ones that are bleeding me the most.
7€ for a bunch of units and lords for only 2 factions...

B-BUT I WANT A CROSSBOW UNIT THAT HAS A SWORD INSTEAD OF A DAGGER!!!!!!!!!!!!! $120!!!!!!!! INCOMPLETE!!!!!

hu1d_elf_2handed_axe
hu1d_elf_2handed_glaive
hu1d_elf_2handed_sword
hu1d_elf_2handed_sword_crossbow
hu1d_elf_bi1_eagle_wb_spear_sword_shield
hu1d_elf_dr1_dragon_spear_wb_sword_shield
hu1d_elf_dr1_dragon_wb_sword_and_shield
hu1d_elf_dual_sword - corsairs
hu1d_elf_dual_sword_bow
hu1d_elf_dual_sword_crossbow
hu1d_elf_halberd
hu1d_elf_hr1_warhorse_lance_sword
hu1d_elf_hr1_warhorse_lance_sword_shield
hu1d_elf_hr1_warhorse_spear
hu1d_elf_hr1_warhorse_spear_shield
hu1d_elf_hr1_warhorse_spear_sword_shield
hu1d_elf_hr1_warhorse_sword_crossbow
hu1d_elf_spear
hu1d_elf_spear_and_bow
hu1d_elf_spear_and_shield_bow
hu1d_elf_sword - arty crew
hu1d_elf_sword_and_handbow
hu1d_elf_sword_crossbow
hu1d_elf_sword_crossbow_shield

New World coming soon.

If it's more like the king and the warlord it's arguably worth it since it changes up the way you play quite a lot

Im waiting for pirated one.
How come one aint out yet?

I dont even think people want these units they just want to complain at CA for making DLC.

>first time with Attila: Total War
>spend 30min looking over stuff and pondering my first moves
>finally click end turn
>'you can set guvns, guv'
>alight, I guess I'll guv my core up
>a few turns later
>loyalty in questionx7
>income plummets to red as well
Well fuck.

Also whats the dealio with Attila C-map performance? Does it have magical settings whick make everything work smooth as in R2?