Engines General

My mates and I are getting an f-body roller for fun soon, I'm in charge of putting an engine together for it.

I want to make an SBC 302 with a 350 block (2 or 4 bolt mains, large journals), and 283 pistons, connecting rods, and crankshaft. There aren't many screamer small blocks around and it sounds like loads of fun.

>Is this the right formula for a homebuilt 302?
>Am I missing anything?
>Would the use of hydraulic roller cams effect how high the engine can rev?
>Should I go carb or EFI?
>is there anything you recommend?

This one is mainly going to be built from junkyard parts and the like to the keep the cost down. I usually work on motorcycles, so V8 pushrod engines are a little new to me.

bump

If you want to build a motor that revs, worry less about total displacement and more about optimal rod: stroke ratio, correct head size and flow as well as compression ratio desired

You use the 283 crank. The pistons are too small. It's 4.00x3.00 bore stroke. You use 350 pistons

Ignore him. He knows literally nothing about building engines

I'd avoid TPI, especially if you're trying to build a screamer. Can't breathe much past 4500

Tru

Only small engines are able to rev past 5l rpm, no one is able to make power at all past 7k with things like a 460

Optimal rod:stroke ratio, head size and flow characteristics noted. I guess I'll go as high as I can with compression on 91/93 pump gas.

Just 283 crank and rods then? I'm glad I can keep the 350 pistons, makes things cheaper.

So carb it is!

Open question: Any carb and and head recommendations?

Which f body you looking at man?

>>Am I missing anything?
things like squish, compression, port size, runner lengths, cam spec are super important to making it sing.
that's not to say you won't get lucky throwing justsomething together
>>Would the use of hydraulic roller cams effect how high the engine can rev?
i'd definitely go solid for a screamer
>>Should I go carb or EFI?
up to you, efi is technically better but i can definitely see the appeal of carbs
>>is there anything you recommend?
nope, idk enough about chebbys to say. but large journals are more of a hindrance on a short stroke, NA, high rev motor if you can get a 4340 small journal crank

third gen more than likely. It's cheap enough to find a somewhat clean roller for less than 1000 bucks and has a pretty decent amount of engine bay space.

I'd want to do a second gen, but even the ugly ones command a lot of money nowadays.

I forgot to put my location earlier in this post I'm from NYC. The end goal is something that will handle pretty decently on the twistier roads (like the many parkways in this godforsaken city)

Noted, I wanted to go with a large journal crank because it's a bit easier to find them compared to the small journal crank, but less hindrance is more power. I'll keep it in mind. Also, why solid? I don't mind using them, I just don't want to adjust them all that much!

Nigga, you don't know shit about anything. If you weren't a retard you'd know that a short stroke SBC would always have an optimal rod ratio. We aren't talking about big inch strokers

I'm looking at third gens too. Probably keeping the 350 until it dies and then replacing it with a carb'd Pontiac engine

Strokers almost always suck, and a 460 is a factory motor.

Hell, even a 355 has a 1.72 that is pretty optimal for hard street use.

>Pontiac engine
what...why?

>Also, why solid?
because they won't cavitate, pump up, or deflect at high rpm. so better valve control.
also the piston dome intrustion might probably be an issue.
like i said idk about chebby's and it might not, if the head has small chambers.
also pushrod deflection - you'd want the strongest lightest ones possible, like hollow large diameter titanium or carbonfibre. not even sure they exist but you get the point

Guess what retard 355s are literally just 350s with a .030 overbore. They aren't strokers.

Just saying... im Mobile Al there is a 7.4l big block with all the dressings for sell for only 750....

there are cheap 454's everywhere, anyone who doesn't take advantage is a fucking dumbass

Duh, but if you're building the engine with new Pistons and potentially heads, you might as well bore it out a little

>tfw you will never find a cheap f body and throw a junkyard SBC with parts scavanged from old engines in it

fuck it sucks to be a britbong sometimes

anyone know if theres any engines that you can find here that you can do something similar with? only thing i can think of is the rover v8, but they didnt have as many varieties as the SBC

Except nobody is talking about building 350s here. Why don't you fuck off. We all already know you're a retarded attention whore who just likes to name drop shit that's unrelated to the topic to seem intelligent.

That's cool as hell, I wish you will on your F-body hunt!

Solid it is, then! I was gonna stick with an OEM set of pushrods, springs, and such since the original 302 did pretty alright with em, but I figure if I'm going solid, might as well do the rest of the head too.

I'd drive down and take it off that guy's hands, but a BBC wouldn't really fit my end goal.

Have you tried any of the old Nissans? I'm pretty sure the L and RB engines are mix and match friendly. Maybe older Fords too. I'm not from England, but those are the first things that come to mind.

I'm guessing /dbt/ is kinda slow today?

>tfw got a 362 nailhead and my worst nightmare would be a cracked block

shits fucking expensive to fix

looked at nissan i6 engines and they are pretty rare here, and kina expensive which sucks. plus idk what it would go in. i just wonder if anything can be done with the stock mx5 engines aside from boost cause they are dirt cheap and super common

That's a good question, I don't know much about mx5 engines. I would boost it for the low cost of doing so.

It's a 364 retard.