Veeky Forums

Veeky Forums

A few mates and I are planning on buying a supra to mess around with but a twin turbo manual one is rare and expensive. I suggested getting an auto turbo'd one and swapping the tranny with something like a cd09, but my mates think it'd be better to get a n/a manual supra and swap the engine for the twin turbo 2j.

>which would be easier/cheaper?
>pros & cons?
>rough prices?

UK based btw, cheers

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing
ebay.co.uk/itm/toyota-soarer-1jz-2-5-twin-turbo-auto-/302237984250?hash=item465ec9a5fa:g:YGMAAOSw4CFYtbIy
youtube.com/watch?v=qvjQZA-IZlU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>can't afford manual turbo

Why even consider buying a Supra at all?

I know someone with a twin turbo for 4.5k in the UK

Auto right?

>my mates and I
let me stop you right there, if you all go in to buy a car then there's gonna be guraunteed fighting on who officially owns it/ you get to drive it more than I do bitching

It's more of a - if we were to do it which would have a better outcome

nah we should be okay, we done the same with an MR2 and that seemed to work out well enough

>buying a car with friends
Stop watching haggard garage and fuck off. That's an idiotic idea.

Look for a RS-Z. This is a naturally aspirated Supra with the V161 transmission and the turbo 'B' diff.

Throw a T4 frame turbo on it with bigger injectors and run one Bar or do the same with a 2mm head gasket and run 1.5 Bar or higher.

Plenty of fun.

>Why even consider buying a Supra at all?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

6 speed manual

Buy a Lexus SC300 and swap a manual

ebay.co.uk/itm/toyota-soarer-1jz-2-5-twin-turbo-auto-/302237984250?hash=item465ec9a5fa:g:YGMAAOSw4CFYtbIy

Where? Who? Details??

See, need more people like this guy mayn

This gonna be better than engine swapping out or tranny swapping an auto?

2nd this. who will legally own what? the last car owned by a group of friends I knew ended up with a missing head and turbo when a friend moved away.

>2JZ-GE

We'll work all that out, we did it with an MR2 so it shouldn't be too hard second time around

??

I like my Supra Poopras.

You can buy a RS with a W58 or the A340 and swap in a GTE and V160/V161 though you will still have the small 'A' diff, small front brake rotors and will need a new crossmember to mount whatever transmission you are going to install.

Buy an RS-Z and the hard work is done. You can drop in a GTE if you like but if you are aiming for 500 crank horsepower or below a GE is fine. Drop the static compression ratio on the GE block and you can make 30 Bar cylinder pressure easy, stock 10:1 and I'd be keeping it under 28 Bar. You are only gaining slightly higher flowing intake runners and piston oil squirters by using the GTE engine, although the flange for intake and exhaust manifolds is more widely available for aftermarket gear with the GTE head than the GE. Plenty of exhaust manifolds for GE, not so many intake manifolds. Not a big drama, keep the GE style manifold as it won't start causing dramas until around that magic 500 crank horsepower.

It depends on what kind of power figures your looking at

Tranny swapping would probably work out cheaper than an engine swap if you went with a w58 or r154 but swapping a v160 is probably gonna be just as expensive as buying an sz-r and gte swapping it

It'd be easier to get more power if we went with the GTE and tranny swap right? It definitely won't be a V160 probably a Cd09 or r154. I've heard mixed things about the CD09, some holding 1200whp and some falling apart. If we were to do it goals will be around 700hp

Adapter plates to mate a JZ to a 350Z/370Z 6-speed tranny exist

I know, my question is more the fact that is it better bang for buck to stick the 350z tranny to a 2jzgte or to turbo a 2jzge and swap tranny later?

Cheaper than buying a ricetaxed R154.
You could just do 350Z trans to a 1.5JZ(1j head to 2j block) if budget is your thing.

>did the same with an mr2
Except a manual tt supra isn't a slow pos, someone will actually want it and will definitely try to say they paid more/did more work on it/ need pussy more than you. But go ahead, learn the hard way pal.

We'd get more power out of the 350z tranny and 2jzgte than

Turboing the 2jzge
Right?

Newent

Well we'll work it out, we're all gonna be working on it in a little shop we own and the three of us are fairly close but I get your concern, let's take my friends out of the picture and say I'm doing it myself if that helps

You got a link online or anything?

I thought you were on a budget, A 1.5jz can make a healthy 500-600hp without blowing up. Are you doing a drag car or something?

We're on a budget but I'd rather make cutbacks that we will pay for if we decide to go further than 5-600hp afterwards

Rather not*

the only difference between the N/A and turbo is the the turbo holds more compression. If you do have you're hands on a N/A it's just pistons and rods to support the turbo. Better off researching on a Toyota forum than this place, JZX100 forums and supra forums is useful

You can get a Supra down to 1300kg without resorting to exotic materials.
Drop a 1UZ in it and a lighter duty 6 speed transmission than the V161.

Cheers man

If you know what you're doing you can aim higher on a stock GE.
youtube.com/watch?v=qvjQZA-IZlU

I've got a na supra but I'm not selling it lol. I do however want to know more about turboing it/engine swapping because Im aiming for high 700hp and want to know the most reliable way to go about it

I think it'll end up costing more to get high power out of a 2jzge than : using a gte and swapping the auto tranny

for reliable, definitely just do a gte swap

na-t is fine for low hp goals but gets more and more expensive, especially if you plan on doing it right

Also if you have an sz you would need to upgrade the brakes and diff and probably the tranny unless you have the v160, at that point it might be better just saving for a few years and buying a cheap rz

Any tranny cheaper than the v160? That's the only thing I'm really worried about, brakes and diff will be manageable but I don't want tranny problems

A tranny that will hold up that is

I wouldn't try and cheap out on a tranny if your aiming for high 700hp its just gonna cause alot of headaches down the road

There might be some cheaper alternatives that could hold it but the v160 is tried and proven

There are some wild ones around, Dave H made huge power on a stock GE. I'm very early five hundred and that's as far as I'm happy to take it before dropping static compression ratio. No E85 for me yet.

R154 five speed is a common swap that will support 700 hp in good condition. Much cheaper than a V161.

It's the sz-r actually

this is also wrong, the turbo block is very slightly different in it's oiling system.

not that you can't na-t, but a GTE block is what you want if you ever plan on going for that 1000hp.

do the manual swap.

Question for Veeky Forums Supra people: going single turbo on my '94 RZ in the coming months, any suggestions on a cost / power effective manifold / turbo setup? I was going to go with a Precision Gen 2 6466 and a Treadstone cast manifold.

I'd go twin scroll T4 flange definitely.
Probably 6 boost for the manifold and a HINO GT3576

Would the GT3576 be as capable as the 6466? My power goals are around 650 - 700 bhp with pump gas + meth. Going to acquire some GSC S2 274/274 cams as well.

No, but it is twin scroll and comes with twin internal wastegates.
It would probably be out of puff by 550hp.
Something like a EFR9180 would be my choice for your goals but you said cheap... Garrett GT4088 with twin internal gates?

I like the idea of a 6boost T4 Twin Scroll with an EFR9180, thanks for the input.