/dsg/ - Demons/Dark Souls General

Dumb lore bullshit and headcanon edition
>Was down too long in the midnight sea
>>

>1.10 patch notes:
steamcommunity.com/games/374320/announcements/detail/261608645322016043

>Ringed City DLC stuff
Shills will post detailed information on February 8, ignore fake "leaks" until then
Trailer: youtube.com/watch?v=igomOLwqsV0
Screenshots/art: imgur.com/a/83M79

>Character Planner
mugenmonkey.com/

>DARK SOULS 3
docs.google.com/document/d/1u8Mak1goSv4g73g16XsWV4sJelDQUatWkP2kcO6GVAA/pub

>DARK SOULS 2
pastebin.com/CAx8Yc8v

>DARK SOULS
pastebin.com/eNY3su63

>DEMON'S SOULS
pastebin.com/RjpF5s7a

>BLOODBORNE
pastebin.com/WdLBWD8n

>KING'S FIELD
pastebin.com/G8zw0sc3

>Community & Fanart
pastebin.com/vVWz9pJm

made and posted first desu

xth for cute

third for qt

Nth for Bestlord Nito and Gravelords will rise again

First WebM

Size is more indicative of race, despite the 'power = size' meme.

Gwyn is the most powerful opponent in the first game. Is he the largest? No.

The largest enemies in Dark Souls 3 are the Cathedral of the Deep giants (and the one in Irithyll Dungeon). They only drop a paltry 4000 souls.

Ornstein is the only character we see change size upon absorbing a soul. The same does not happen to Nameless King, nor Elfriede (if her third phase is her absorbing Ariandel's soul). It honestly seems like size changing is an ability unique to Ornstein.

I've discovered the true form of Man.

user you dummy those aren't pilgrims, those are the failed snake men of Archdragon Peak

yth for CUTE

I guess so.
Most hosts I meet look more or less like this. I don't even get to go full Brutus on them, faggots die too early.

post more cute

I wanted to buy Ringed City Edition for PS4, but I'm buttblasted because PS4 Pro apparently runs game with slightly better performance on boost mode. I just want to fucking smash my current PS4 and throw it away. Fuck Sony.

Not even Ornstein serves as a reliable sample since III all but states he's an illusion created by Gwyndolin. It's hard to know at this point.

Whats the deal with Ornstein, Smough and Anor Londo at the time of DaS anyways? The city is abandoned except for Gwyndolin, the illusion of Gwynevere, the Giant Blacksmith who talks about how everyone is gone and its quiet and them.
Were they just hanging out protecting Gwynevere without leaving that room? Were they hollows?

How do I change my starting Class via CE?

The giants are also beaten and mutilated and probably lost most of their strength. An average giant is also worth a lot more souls than an average hollow too. We do see Ornstein grow in size dramatically when he absorbs Smough's soul.

ON THE OTHER HAND, it is possible that "normal" humans are the descendents of the furtive pygmy, therefore they are actually just fucking tiny. (The rats aren't giant, you're just small). Gwyn and the knights are actually the right size. However "pygmies" and "right-sized" humans are both the same race and can interbreed. That's why the Lothric royal family are so big, because they are descendents of Gwyn along Gwynevere's line. Other really big dudes like Suleyvahn might just be descendents of a knight's line.

>Want exploding bolts
>Don't want to get my boy Greirat killed.

wat do?

Damn maybe I should make a smurf Fenito character

use collector's edition

Papa Nito

Actually an addendum:
Size is generally a good indication of race, but mostly in the first game. Memeahacki went fucking wild with the 'dude larger enemies are more intimidating XDDD' shit in Dark Souls 3, so now almost everyone is huge. However, given that even a whole bunch of complete Hollows are still bigger than the player, it shows that power does not always equal size.

If you want a lore reason for the increase in huge humans in the second and third games, I've always imagined it as being due to
>Humans getting bigger as the Age of Dark gets nearer
>The Gods no longer have a coherent civilisation and so may have interbred with humans (especially royal and noble family lines), resulting in larger humans like Drangleic's court

Very true, so Ornstein is even less of an example of the norm.

>The giants are also beaten and mutilated and probably lost most of their strength
So is 'size = power' was true then they wouldn't be the largest beings in the whole game.

>We do see Ornstein grow in size dramatically when he absorbs Smough's soul.
But only Ornstein, no one else, and possibly not even the real Ornstein. He is an exception, not the rule.

Normal humans are descendents of the Furtive Pygmy. That is why Humans are generally smaller than Gods: they are descended from someone who the Gods saw as a Pygmy. However, the potential for Gods to be smaller than average is still there, as we see from Ciaran, the Daughters of Chaos and possibly Dusk.

Lothric royal family are likely very big because of Divine heritage, yes.

Sulyvahn probably isn't a humanoid, God or Pygmy. Judging from cut dialogue and the position of one of his spells in the Painted World, he's actually a sentient tree.

Smough wanted hard enough to be one of the Four Knights that he realized that if literally everyone else was gone Gwyndolin would have no choice but to make him one.
Ornstein is not Ornstein, most likely just part of the illusion created by Gwyndolin, this one using the soul of the real Ornstein as a base [the franchise having established already that souls can be detached or fragmented to an extent. So Ornstein probably left his soul behind before setting off to find the Firstborn, similarly to what Vendrick did in his flight].
The Giant Blacksmith was frankly probably too dumb to leave, and just kept absorbed into his work for eternity, similarly to Vamos.
And lastly, Gwyndolin would never leave, because of everyone in Gwyn's court he was the only one who would never abandon him, unlike literally everyone else he chose to trust.

This is all the cute I have boss

my caster playthrough is being hindered by how hard dex weapons suck

what do I do?

>Being this embarrasingly wrong
Jesus Christ
I'm going to wait for you to reply to make sure you're in this thread then I'll get started

Theories on this:

1. They were dumb dupes and just spent their entire life protecting an illusion. Gwyndolin manipulated them and threw their lives away as a test for the Chosen Undead. Gwyndolin, being a freakish shemale snake monster, seems to have a soft spot for the "hideous" darkmoon knight, and gave her special armor. Gwyndolin might secretly despise the glorious knights for standing in the sun while she was basically hidden from everyone by her father, and sought to destroy their legend (beaten in a 2-on-1) and kill them, just out of spite, while gaining a more powerful follower.

2. They were aware of Gwyndolin's lies and were trying to prevent the Chosen Undead from carrying out Gwyndolin's plan.

This seems to have less merit for 2 reasons:
A) Because it doesn't fit the personality of the honorable Ornstein, who was arguably the weakest of the knights (until he took Smough's soul) but was the leader. This implies that his position was chosen not for strength, but for loyalty.
B) Smough seems to secretly hate Ornstein, since he is actually the one to kill him. This is probably because Ornstein never made him a knight.

The two seem like they were forced together, not that they wanted to be together. If they weren't given an important task, Smough would probably have split.

3) They were just illusions created by Gwyndolin as a test; but powerful illusions that utilized shards of Gwyn's soul.

user, what else in life could you need other than the Magic Weapon variants and a thrusting sword?

>Other really big dudes like Suleyvahn might just be descendents of a knight's line.
There is cut dialogue from the tree you find his sorcery nearby. That tree apparently is yearning for her lost son.

Fine, tell me how it's wrong.

Besides the fact that Gwyn was probably originally one of "They" before he got his lord soul; which doesn't change the theory any.

>Were they just hanging out protecting Gwynevere without leaving that room? Were they hollows?
Illusions like Gwynevere

>No one playing 1v1 Brawl
>No Hosts to cosplay invade
>Don't wanna go to Gank City and get ganked
>Beaten the game so many times making a new character sounds boring

Ugh I want to play this game but I don't want to play this game.

>a ring given to undead legion of farron. reduces skill fp consumption
>the abyss watchers, for their hunting, required a sword technique that went beyond any existing art. wolf's blood provided just that, and this ring further extends the effect.

>skill: parry

undead legion of farron is not just abyss watchers
followers use a fuckload of weapon arts

How would you handle a portable Dark Souls?

Stop making quality and pyro builds, then. Pick something shitty that only has three weapons and make it work, like str/fth or dex/int.

Well. If you want to 1v1. For Honor Open Beta starts in 3 days.

Also I feel your pain, I just wish there was a little bit more variety. Some one please host a Unofficial patch FC.

P.S. Also don't tell me how Solaire isn't the firstborn, that part has been over with too.

Once again that's just an irrelevant tangent

>the abyss watchers, for their hunting

if you have actual controls (not a mobile game) you wouldn't need to change anything really, DaS is probably perfectly playable on something like a vita or a switch

After Gwyn left to link the First Flame and died, the rest of the Gods got shaken up and their civilisation fell apart. Most left to go start their own religions and followings around the world.

Gwyndolin stayed behind to watch over his father's tomb, and to maintain the illusion of Gwynevere so that when his and Frampt's phony prophecy eventually drew in an Undead warrior, they'd be met with the divine image of Gwynevere and feel really inspired by it (Gwyndolin is deformed and his existence largely kept a secret, so he wouldn't have been great motivation for his champion as opposed to mighty titties).

The Silver Knights stayed behind to guard the illusion of Gwynevere. Presumably they knew about the plan but were loyal enough to Gwyn that they were willing to give away their lives for the sake of the plan. Smough and Ornstein (though they might not be the real ones) are essentially a final test to make sure that the Chosen Undead is powerful enough to wield the Lordvessel and go claim the Lord Souls.

I think the Giant Blacksmith is there to make weapons and armour, which Gwyndolin would then animate through his magic in order to make guards and sentinels for the Chosen Undead to fight.

Are there any good Dark Souls crossovers that ya'll know of?

>greatly increased the radius of cloud/mist pyromancies

This might be a little broken.

>A gem of infused titanite.
>Famously used to forge Farron greatswords.
>Used in infusion to create heavy weapons.
>A warrior can appreciate a heavy weapon, for they scale effectively with strength.
>farron gs C/A scaling
the abyss watchers were not smart men

>Dark Souls crossovers
Are you talking about games? Because no, of course not.

If you're talking about fanfiction, you'll be disappointed. While people get the general tone right surprisingly often, they fail to do anything new or noteworthy with the subject matter outside "character from another franchise obliterates low-level boss with their ridiculous end-game anime powers".

Crossovers combining Souls games with Wildbow's Worm are distressingly common, though.

What is this?

That patch is overall pretty bad. You can tell the guy is only a faithfag but only for buffs and similar.

Butchering homosword which is a weapon with nothing wrong a it currently is is also pretty dumb

Heavy gems removing Dex scaling but Sharp retaining Str scaling is fucking weird.
At 18/16 you get better results from a Sharp Mace than either heavy or refined

>Worm
Jesus fucking christ I hate all the crossovers this shit gets.
just why?
makes browsing spacebattles a fucking chore.

Nito is our lord and saviour.

This guy doesn't really have any idea how to balance tho.

would it have killed them to put in some real cheat prevention

like 30% of my invades are against hackers

Here is the real lore question:

Why do the Silver Knights of Anor Londo let Aldritch eat Gwyndolin ans then guard his throne room for him and keep the Darkmoon captain locked in a tower?

As a worshipper of Dark, doesn't Aldrich stand against everything they believe in?

Or is the answer just a cop-out "They are all hollow they have no reasons for anything"?

A nexus mod with weapon/spell adjustments. e.g. Deacon's Candlestick deals dark damage instead of magic damage, force has combustion animation, ring/buff nerfs in PvP undone...

Yeah, it needs some work. I like what he did with the catalysts and the Pontiff weapons, though.

About the homosword, I think he was trying to make it usable by both FAI-hybrids and quality-dudes, but yeah I don't really know if the changes were necessary.

Perhaps, yeah. It's made sorcery/miracle runs a lot more bearable, though.

Unofficial patch made by some redditurd.

Alternatively, the silverknights still left in Anor Londo are the ones that were weak in their loyalty and abandoned their real masters.

Which is why they drop proofs of concord kept.

>They are all hollow they have no reasons for anything
Either this or they don't know what's going on in the cathedral, only that Gwyndolin is inside so they defend the place blindly.

The real silver knights are in the room with gwynevere painting and they don't respawn. The ones in Anor Londo are likely to be just another illusion.

Silver Knights in AL cannot be taken under control with Rapport. This means that they are either not humans but rather monsters made by Pontiff to resemble silver knights, or that they willingly switched sides.

Because the setting is designed to be flexible and easy to adapt entire franchises to. It's literally just Earth with the only difference being a quantum alien god. Writing fanfictions for that shit without breaking canon is so easy anyone could do it.

To give you an example, the author once stated that all his stories take place in the same extended multiverse, and that crossovers were possible but wouldn't happen for a while.

This doesn't seem likely, otherwise certainly they would have noticed the giant curse-vomitting furry spider walking into the place.
Or maybe they'r eprotesting the fact that From will never implement Faithful-Darkmoon War mechanics

Or, you know, they take orders from Pontiff now like the equipment says.

Okay 'They' are Hollows. Your mistake is assuming that Hollows are immortal. They're not. Immortality is a result of the Darksign. Hollowing is not a condition created by the Undead Curse, the Undead Curse causes Humans to *revert* to their prehistoric Hollow state. The Darksign causes you to come back to life, at the loss or your souls and humanity. Eventually the loss of these metaphysical elements, as well as a loss of will power due to the completely fucked existence you're living, causes you to become Hollow. Hollow is the natural state of Humans and Gods alike.

Humans and Gods are biologically the same, both being Hollows with souls in them, but they are different races (in a magical sort of way). The Gods' difference in size is not only due to their soul: the Hollow who found the Dark Soul was a Pygmy, so his descendents, the Human race, are Pygmy sized. However, the potential still exists within Humans to become very large (people from certain nations, people of certain bloodlines), and the potential still exists within Gods to be very small (Ciaran, Daughters of Chaos).

Gwyn did not cause the Undead Curse. The Undead Curse was his motivation for linking the First Flame. We know the Undead Curse preceeds Gwyn's linking, because Gwyn valued the Four Kings of New Londo, who were leaders of an Undead city. Gwyn probably gave them his Lord Soul fragments because they were able to figure out ways to corral and calm Undead, while everyone else struggled to. Furthermore, we don't know when Artorias of the Abyss takes place, but assuming that Artorias is acting on Gwyn's orders, it must be before he linked the fire, but the presence of bonfires in Oolacile shows Undead are around at the time.

(cont)

>Got 15 sunlight medals just by helping people with smelter today
Why bloodborne online can't be that active?

Sotfs?

The Undead Curse occurs when the First Flame is going out and the power of Dark waxes. Anything with Humanity in it is vulnerable to the Undead Curse. This is why we see Undead dogs and rats: they've eaten Human flesh and so imbibed the Humanity within (we know from Smough and Aldrich that cannibalism is a method of obtaining souls), therefore making them vulnerable to a condition that usually only affects Humans.

In Dark Souls 3, what you think is a hostile pilgrim is actually a serpent man, like those from Sen's Fotress. It's alright, I actually made the exact same mistake when I saw that guy and thought he was an aggressive Pilgrim. Oceiros became obsessed with dragons and his obsession lead him to Archdragon Peak, from whence he obtained a serpent man, a Drakeblood Knight and the Path of the Dragon method of meditation.

The Pus of Man we see in Lothric is also Oceiros' fault. While it is serpent like, it is clearly much more *dragon*-like - those pointed, horned faces are more like Drakes than the Jewly Frampt and Kaathe. We know that Pus of Man is a form of the Abyss, but we also know that the Abyss is humanity running wild: and Oolacile told us that humanity running wild can be caused by sorcery. The citizens of Lothric aren't reverting into Primordial Serpents, they're infected by Oceiros' repeated and multiple failed sorcerous attempts at creating and researching dragons. This is why the two Wyverns are afflicted with it too: Oceiros probably used them in his experiments, without much luck.

Yeah, ps4 version at that

What equipment is that?

In all likelihood they've been afflicted by the Profaned Flame, like the Fire Witches and Pontiff Knights. They're Gods so they can't go Hollow (or rather, they can't be afflicted by the Undead Curse), but they're still vulnerable to the effects of the Profaned Flame and therefore Sulyvahn's influence.

I would listen to a dark souls themed black metal band.

>The Pus of Man we see in Lothric is also Oceiros' fault. While it is serpent like, it is clearly much more *dragon*-like - those pointed, horned faces are more like Drakes than the Jewly Frampt and Kaathe. We know that Pus of Man is a form of the Abyss, but we also know that the Abyss is humanity running wild: and Oolacile told us that humanity running wild can be caused by sorcery. The citizens of Lothric aren't reverting into Primordial Serpents, they're infected by Oceiros' repeated and multiple failed sorcerous attempts at creating and researching dragons. This is why the two Wyverns are afflicted with it too: Oceiros probably used them in his experiments, without much luck.

user, if you're going to call out another person for their stupid headcanon (and I agree that he's terribly wrong), you really shouldn't try to weasel your own stupid baseless headcanon in. That just defeats the point.

What would their song titles and band name would be?

Just make another one

What's the flaw in my reasoning there, then?

I'm on original 2, my cleric will never have sunlight spear, and God damn did they fuck over lightning spears otherwise

You can farm Medals fyi

Not that user, but how that explains countless statues (especially in CotD) featuring various stages of Pus of Man contaminated progression? It's clearly part of their faith.

So when you kill hollowed out characters at the end of their questlines, they're just showing up at a bonfire somewhere else and wandering off right? Whether you showed up to kill them doesn't make a difference.

The Pus of Man is not unique to Lothric Castle. I was only describing that one incident, which was caused by Oceiros. We know from the Follower's Torch that it has occured in other places too. Given that the Deep is related to the Dark/Abyss, they have likely experienced other forms of Pus of Man and included it in their beliefs.

I can sort of relate to your pain, user
Been trying to get Great Lightning Spear in 1 and it similarly isn't going well

The fact that the only evidence it's based on is subjective, for one.

You say the Pus of Man was caused by Oceiros because it looks kinda like a dragon if you squint a bit. They have "horns" (which are roots and wood, if you actually take the time to look close), they have hands, though the oversized left hand is so synonymous with Manus as to be his signature at this point, and they don't resemble Frampt/Kaathe who themselves look more like turtles than serpents.

You then admit that the Pus of Man existed before Oceiros did any of his weird shit, which by itself demonstrates that he didn't have jack shit to do with its creation. Your explanation for this is that "sorcery can cause changes in people" and point to Oolacile as an example, ignoring the fact that the sorcery in question was both dark-based and created the Abyss. While the Flame of Chaos and Profaned Flame were also likely created through sorcery, which would lend credence to such a theory, the fact is that no sign of such a powerful, uncontrolled, mutagenic sorcery can be found in Lothric Castle, let alone the fact that the Pus of Man already originates from another source that predates Oceiros altogether.

Your reasoning is shit, basically. That tends to happen when you start with the theory first and look for the evidence second.

Aren't those spots from sotfs?

Just kill bugs, it's not very hard

According to wikidot, overseers and falcon knights can always drop them in vanilla too

Pyromancer here. Suggestions? Ditch VIT for INT/FTH? Is 15 END enough stamina in your experience?

40/40 is enough, no need to go 45/45.
Put the remaining 10 into either Vig or End

>going over 40 int/fth
>30 att
>25 vig
>15 end
>bloated str/dex
lmao

Just stick with 40/40, those 10 extra points are wasted and could be used for vig

Gotta be in a NG+ or raise the intensity of the fire then it seems though
What route would you recommend

>25vig
You gonna die like a bitch.

>45int/45fth
Yes, dark spells cast with izalith staff, caitha's chime, sunless talisman, and magic/lightning spells cast with crystal chime softcap at that point instead of 40/40. No, pyromancy does not, and unless you're using only dark spells or the crystal chime you aren't getting anything for those 10 wasted levels. Even then you aren't getting anything worth having since dark spells are too weak to matter.

>16str/17dex
Fucking why? What weapon are you equipping with such high requirements that isn't also perma-fucked by your low Vigor and Endurance?

Get 40vig, 30att, 40int, and 40fth. All other stats are secondary.

45/45 is more than you need, you're good if you've got at least 35/35

At least hit 27 vig and 20 end holy fuck

Join champions covenant and farm Mounted Overseers in Harvest Valley; no need for NG+

My reason for pointing out they're more dragonlike is because, if they do represent humans turning into some sort of serpent, something dragon-like seems more likely than something like Kaathe or Frampt.

I have said that Oceiros was the cause of the outbreak in Lothric Castle. Not the cause of all Pus of Man everywhere. If I rub butter into my face I am the cause of all the pussy spots I will get, I don't retroactively become the cause of every case of acne in the entire world.

Did you miss that Oolacile was a city of accomplished sorcerers before the Abyss incident? Do you not know what golden sorceries are? Oolacile discovered dark sorceries, but presumably it was them digging up and experimenting on Manus that enabled that. Their experimentation would have started off with their golden sorceries.

Oceiros is an insane fucking sorcerer, backed up by a giant library castle also full of insane fucking sorcerers. He's a practitioner of crystal magic and he has one of the crystal sages working for him. Crystal sorcery is the fucking hallmark of 'yeah we're going into the deep end lads.' The Grand Archives scholars are known to carry out foul experiments, having experimented on Gertrude's chime and infected it with crystals. The royal family was obsessed with producing someone worthy to link the fire. How were they going to do that, just by fucking loads and hoping something would come of it? Prince Lothric is a deformed fucker with dragon-like hands, implying he too was a victim of his father's obsession and experimentation, and his unique gold/white magic and the feathers all over his room imply that the research done on Gertrude and/or her chime was put to use on him.

My major point is that the Pus of Man is not a transformation into the Primordial Serpents, but if you have some theory as to what's causing it, then please, elaborate.

Best starting class for FUCKING STR build? Knight or Warrior? Looking for 66 FUCKING STR for maximum two hand potential.

Aight cool, what's their drop rate for them like?

>tfw you can't handle having odd numbered stats and have to waste a level in something like int or res on every build

Please tell me Cremefilled wasn't supposed to drop something, especially something good for sorcerer.

Because I just bullied her into rolling down the cliff.

depends on how heavy your setup is and whether you like WAs or not. just use the calculator at mugen

warrior, knight is impure with all that dex

Filthy Weeb BTFO, How can he ever recover!

Honestly though, this has been really fun. Most R1 Spamming idiots get, and anyone decent enough has to go through a shitty Shield+Spear.

Basically depends on the dex reqs youve got. 12 lets you use the millwood bow I think.