Boring car

Hey there Veeky Forums. I'm in the market for a new car, and I just need a boring, reliable daily driver that I can drive 40 miles to and from work every day with a reasonable level of gas consumption and comfort, while doing 85 on the Arizona freeway. Basically I need a Camry. Is there a better alternative in the same price segment (6-8k) that I'm not thinking of?

camry is kinda big? why such a large car?
maybe a civic is more suitable

>85mph
>civic
Ha

The Camry is more comfortable and has more power. Also, more room for the kids. I looked at an Accord but it was more expensive for the same equipment.

you mentioned no kids
how am i supposed to know?

There's no need to be hostile m8, I did say I wanted a car in the same segment as a Camry, i.e. a full sized Sedan. I came here because you guys are supposed to be the experts on cars, sorry if I offended you by not mentioning my kids.

we are enthusiasts not experts.

Check out the Nissan versa

FUCK YOU MEAN NIGGA....

we're bus riders not experts

Why the fuck would anyone buy that pile of shit?

Used Lexus

Panther body

>comfy as fuck
>spacious
>28 MPG if you don't drive like a fuck
>I mean, you've clearly given up anyway

See also:

Well, op did specifically say he was looking for something that matches that description

>versa
>holding 85mph
Would rather kill myself
The noise would be deafening and the shit suspension would bumpsteer you into oblivion. Not to mention a slight breeze would blow you into a trucker and kill you
Also OP wants something reliable. Not an abortion of a shitty nissan.
Not that nissan makes anything worth buying
Kys

Ford Focus

SVT ones should have no problem merging anywhere

>all these idiots suggesting cars with short gearing
Wew
Have fun cruising at 5,000 rpm

V6 Rav 4

Thanks for being the only one to make a reasonable suggestion. Hadn't thought about a crown vic DESU, I guess I thought a v8 would get worse than 28mpg. And I haven't given up, it's just that the reality of having a long commute is that you can't drive something you like and not want to kill yourself as you watch it fall apart from 15k+ miles a year.

An Accord.
I've owned that model of Camry, avoid it. It meets your requirements but the steering and handling is just total crap.

I actually really like that car, I kinda want to get a crown vic and just make it look somewhat classy/newer by using new wheels, paint, and headlights. Nothing to ricer or muscle car like, or anything racing related, just improvements as if it was built in a higher quality way, kinda like your picture. It would be a fun driver that wouldnt attract to much attention or really come off as douchy or pretentious, as if it was a luxury import.

If you're doing 15k mostly freeway miles a year, they'll eat the miles up no problem.15k city miles a year barely hurts them.

That's a Marauder, they come like that from the factory. They also attract the wrong kind of attention (gross boomers).

VW Polo 6R with the 1.6tdi 105 bhp diesel engine
>everything in here is older - proven technology
>the 1.6tdi is an 20 year old engine with every problem sorted out by now
>the 1.6tdi 105 bhp does 70 mpg and has a reasonable ammount of punch given the car's size
>even if it's a Polo, it's just as big as a Mk III Golf.

we are kissless virgins not experts

I don't live in Europe, we only got the Golf, and the Passat/Jetta is more like what i would need, i looked at, i believe it was a 2.5 TDI, but it seems like they have some reliability issues, at least from the reviews i read online.

I've heard a lot of mention of Accords having faulty transmissions, especially when paired with the v6. They are also more expensive than the Toyota in my area, even when similiarly equipped with similiar miles. What year would you recommend explicitly? I was looking at like an 03-06 Camry.

>Boring
>2005 Camry
Pick one

Lexus ES300 or Accord. The Accord is going to have a less comfy ride but is more fun to drive.

ES300's seem to be pretty old, or do you mean the new ones? Those are waayyyy outside of my price range, all the other ones have 200k+ miles. What is your quantification of fun to drive? Do you think the price premium between the Accord and Camry is worth it? They don't seem to have any more horsepower.

What do you drive now?

The late 90s ES300s are extremely reliable and can be bought for cheap.

The 1MZ-FE engine isn't bad at all either.

LS400 or avalon

Don't laugh
Peugeot hatch or estate depending on how much room you need
An '08 to '10 207 hatch will cost you

2002 Ford Taurus. Nothing special, that's for damn sure, had it since it was near new, now it's got 193k on it and the transmission is on it's way out. Just want something newer and more reliable.

Y tho? You could replace the trans and it'd be just as good as something a little newer. Although a v6 Accord would be better

i'm glad someone else thinks this, because the camry is only truly boring if you get the 4 cylinder. every v6 fitted to the camry since the xv20 has made it fairly sprightly.

It has more issues than just the transmission, it does this wierd thing where it will suddenly decide one of the doors isn't closed and will refuse to turn off the overhead light (it's not just the little door switch). Also when it's warm and I park it when I go to start it up again sometimes it won't start, and then when it finally does I have to continually give it gas like a manual. Mechanic friends say it's clogged cats, I'm not willing to pay $~600+labor for new cats as well as a new transmission on a car that's worth $2500 on a good day. Also, having a second car means I can give the Taurus to my wife to run around our little suburban bedroom community, I know it's up to that task and has some more life in it.

And just for everybody's information I'm going looking at cars today, gonna go check out 2 Camry's and a Fusion, it has the same Duratec my Taurus does and that has proven to be a pretty damn reliable motor. We'll see what I end up with.

They don't sell Peugeot (at least, not that I've ever seen) in America. How do you not know this?

Where do you live?
They're all over New England
At least when I lived in NY they were

But then you spend 7k on a new car that comes with a new set of problems. It's better to fix the car regardless of value. The fusion is shit too

Well I hate to disappoint you my dude but I bought an '06 Fusion SEL today, 76k on the clock from an old man in Scottsdale. I really like it, and for the price it was in way better shape/lower mileage than the Camry's that I looked at. Has better interior features too, although admittedly it doesn't look as good as the Camry. Lifetime MPG is 26. I'm happy with the purchase, thanks for the advice Veeky Forums.

They stopped selling them sometime in the 90s iirc. There'll still be stragglers around like the USDM Alfa 164s.

>mercury marauder
>28 MPG

LS400
High end S Class tier cruiser with better empeejees, and non of the maintenance costs. Couple it with the god tier 1UZ V8 that goes on forever, and you have a luxury Crown Vic with Jap build quality.

21mpg isn't that bad, I'd trade 10 mpg or w/e to get a much better car.

>28 MPG
Heading downhill with a tailwind and the engine shut off maybe

10-12 Ford Fusion 3.0 FWD

Seriously

for you? a KIA Optima sounds PERFECT

spotted the closet-homosexual real estate middle manager who tries to take a mediocre sandals vacations twice a year

I bought an '06, pre facelift, but I like your thinking my friend.

Like i just said, I bought the Fusion, i feel like it gives off the appearance of more of an "adult's" car, than a Kia. I don't trust Korean cars at all. Also all the soft lines and everything... looks like something a teenager would love. Unfortunately i'm in my 30's. Probably too old for this website but, well, i've been here for a very long time.

find a several-years-old accord sedan on craigslist from some old people who never drove it

powerful, reliable, pragmatic, passionless, """adult""

>30s
>on a Korean kimchi fanart forum
>drives a Fusion

Are you me?

Just get an off-lease Camry or Accord. Drive both back to back. And then do it again.

It usually takes a few tries to warm up to the Accord versus the Camry.

Also, consider a CPO Acura TLX or Lexus ES350.

Stay away from VW junk, Nissan junk, Korean junk. Don't even consider anything domestic unless you can get a good deal on a brand new Ford Fusion. Mazda and Subaru kind of split the difference in reliability between the Toyota/Honda tier and the Nissan / Mitsushiti tier when it comes to jap cars. Subarus are generally good, but start having issues after you pack up the miles. They are taller, offer good outward views, drive fairly sporty, but with limits. CVT transmissions are never good llong term, and Subaru loves them. They are like a disposable Volvo for poor people. Mazda is like an edgier, saltier Honda, but with limited resources. So you end up with less model diversity, and they tend to be a little behind on auto trends (probably a good thing, considering the sea of CVT transmission garbage, and forced induction micro-motors, etc) that the competition has adopted. They tend to drive very lively and confidently, and have very good, sharp looks. But they just don't age as well in terms of both mechanics and looks as Honda or Toyota.

I touched on not buying VW, but that really goes for all of the kraut garbage. They make some of the absolutely most beautiful, best performing cars on the road (BMW / MB), but unless we are talking about buying a BMW or Merc new (which we are not), or you are an automotive masochist that is completely and irrationally dedicated to one of their obsolete classic platforms, just stay away.

TLDR: Buy as much used lexus as you can afford.

Why does it have to be a brand new fusion?

>They make some of the absolutely most beautiful
kek

Because ford a shit and it will start to decompose from ecomeme power and electronic bullshit eventually. I'm saying that they are the only acceptable domestic. GM or Chrysler are hillariously unacceptable. Ford makes pretty good shit. But the clock is ticking on them, so don't get one that is halfway wound down already.

Fuck off, I'm talking to a normie.

What I'm saying is why not recommend pre '13 Fusions?
>no Ecoshit
>CD3 platform is just a stretched first gen Mazda6
>affordable
>good mpeegees
I own a '10 and I fucking love it

I keep noticing that you haven't read the entire thread. Like i've said three times now, today I bought an '06 Fusion. It's got 76k on the clock and it has the Duratec 30, the same motor that was in my Taurus. It's pretty powerful for what it is and the 6 speed automatic apparently gets better gas mileage. I'm just happy with the much improved interior. Ride quality is about the same, although there seems to be less body roll. I only drove it for the 60 miles from Phoenix back to my house though, one thing I noticed was the vastly improved sound system. For a car that's only four years newer than my old one it feels a lot more well put together, probably because it was old man owned. Also it was only 6500, which left me with about 2,000 extra out of my budget to save for whatever.

oh ok good for you.

>For a car that's only four years newer than my old one it feels a lot more well put together, probably because it was old man owned
Nah, it's because the Taurus was a complete POS

True, but I've owned it since 2005 and put almost 150,000 miles on it and it's never left me stranded other than going through three starters because of the fact that it's impossible to change the oil filter without dumping some onto the starter. Other than that just regular maintenance.

>28mpg
ya when the engine is off and the car is on the driveway sitting, then maybe 28mpg

02+ camry (i4 or v6)
03+ accord (i4 or v6)
01+ grand prix (gt or gtp) (great sound system)
99+ grand am (gt)
97+ buick century (best ride/seat comfort)
97+ buick regal

Shit, I've been in euroland way too long
I could've sworn I'd seen newer ones too
Well, that's retardation for you