Tell me why I shouldn't buy this

I love this car, been saving for a little while and may buy this in the next few months. Aesthetically appealing and nice height.
>redpill me

Because you could buy a BRZ instead

>Tell me why is a bad idea to buy something I can't afford

save another few years for maintenance

implying

>Mercedes Benz
man, you are going to hate yourself after a few months of buying it when you realize its a hunk of shit but you will loose a lot of money in selling it because its value will drop faster than a meteor entering our atmosphere

5-10k a year after the first two, not bad

why not lease it? if you can even lease a g-wagon that is

This specific model retains its value quite well.
Every response has been an uneducated opinion
Can we get some real critiques

The early US models had disgusting interiors. Reliability is one notch above Land Rover and below Toyota.

It's a nice car, though. Made in Austria.

I was thinking about that DESU. Just so I can see what it's like to have it for a few months and decide if I wanna drop that much. I know luxury vehicles are a lot to maintain, had a 2010 7 series, loved it and I'm looking for a bigger vehicle / higher ride

It's a flashy piece of shit for Arabs, get an S class instead

It's one of those "If you can't afford it new, you can't afford it used" type of vehicles.

Buy a 'Lade if you wan't the drug dealer image.

>not getting the squared, maybach or the 6x6

Do you even G-wagon bro?

Ever consider the Lexus LX OP?

you can not and will not ever be able to afford a g63 amg

this is a fact

you cannot afford any mercedes with a 5.5l v8 biturbo

you will never spend house money on a car

>LX

Are you fucking kidding just buy a land cruiser you autistic beverly hills mom badgewhore sperg.

>lets support a company that tries so hard to rip you off

LX is like 20k cheaper and they are very very close to being the same.

Lexus is owned by Toyota.
Not an argument.

>land cruiser
>not for badgewhores

I pride myself in knowing almost everything about the gwagen. I'd say if you have the cash this is the best year to purchase one seeing as they are going out of production by 2018.
The amg m278 engine is as powerful as the word of god. However, due to the hot v design of the engine, its a motherfucker to work on and reliability wise its not even close to the old m113.
The transmission and transfer case on the w463 was built to take a whopping both internally and externally regardless of model and should not cause any problems.
Frame and drivetrain are also built to last. The amount of metal that goes into the duplo-sized drivetrain is outrageous to say the least. The only downside is curb weight of 2555kilos for a mid-size SUV (The full-size lx570 weighs ~2700kg).

What do you think about the 4x4^2? A worthy improvement, or nonsense?

To me (not the guy you asked) portal axles are one of the main attractions of the Gwagon. Increased ground clearance while maintaining a low CG.
Merc us one of the few companies in the world that do them and they do them well.

I never drove one but I know theyre gimmicky bullshit. You lose a lot of uptravel, top speed, fuel economy and handling all in the name of added ground clearance, wading depth and exclusivity. Aerodynamics is the one thing the gwagen does not have to spare: the drag coefficient is about 0.51-0.53 for the w463.
The g350 comes stock with a snorkel, diff breathers and other offroad goodness.
If you want the front spoiler like the 6x6 and square have you can get a very decent copy from hofele for like $1500.

imagine the easy oil changes

You fucking nigger, portals affect your CG.

It's a 1960's military vehicle with leather. There is zero point in the performance versions, they are laughably pathetic. Only real point is that they are the only luxury SUV with true off road capability.

Range Rover might compete, also land cruiser. Stock g wagens has shit clearance and bad susp travel

It's ridiculously overpriced, and way too ostentatious. At least for my taste. I'd have a range rover.

Then again I would also like a G65 AMG just because it's so dumb it sounds kinda fun.

Not a fan of the v12. Don't let the big numbers fool you.

Oh trust me, I wouldn't buy one. God no, the prices on those a re simply dumb, and the engine itself isn't really made for that kind of thing anyways. I just enjoy the idea of a v12 SUV.

land rovers are nothing but trouble. Ford, bmw and tata each battled the brand's infamous reliability and to be honest they made a lot of progress.
What can't be said for the geländewagen. In many ways its like a shark, a prehistoric killer that is immune to evolution.

Americans who know nothing about cars: the thread.

I've been asking myself the same question last week, and started a thread here that seems to have expired.

The conclusion I came to was: fuck it, there's too much electronics in that car, and it will either break, or become obsolete in a few years, and it'll be a PITA to maintain. At $130-220K a pop, you can buy three to five other offroaders for the same money, with much better usable life.

Though, I have to admit, I've looked at a lot of other brands, and not a fucking one comes close to G-Wagen quality and design. That they do have. I wish I could get the military G-Wagen stripped for offroad use, that'll be an ideal car for me.

I've not totally crossed the G-Wagen off my shopping list yet, but there's just too much against it.

valet here. have driven many g63 AMGs. by far my favorite SUV, easily one of my favorite cars. fucking awesome, beautiful inside and out. hope youre rich as fuck though

>Tell me why I shouldn't buy this
You can't afford one.

>Reliability is one notch above Land Rover and below Toyota.
That goes for almost anything in the North American market.

I'd get a unimog instead, you could get a custom interior done and still have a shitload of cash leftover

reliability is a non-issue. The engines do need very regular maintenance like oil changes every 7k.
Only maintenance issue was frequent brake jobs, because it chewed through stock brake pads like crazy. Fixable if you swap the discs and brake pads for even heavier duty ones.

They drive like shit. Seriously on the highway it's like driving a dump truck.

>and nice height

Manlet car purchase considerations, when will they learn?

Unless you drive off road it's pointless.

You are buying an objectively inferior road car.
I have more respect for soccer moms who buy crossovers.

For me its the opposite. At 195cm I hit my head against the ceiling of almost all cars. A nice tall car is just comfy

can't get the LC with air suspension

Best part of the G wagon? The reving engine sound reverberating on the side tailpipes

You're not gonna use those 3 locking differentials for anything off-road get a sedan instead

TFW you'll never have 10 g wagons in your driveway like nigerian governor Godwin Obaseki

If its good enough for the pope...

Tell me why I shouldn't buy this

You should wait a year user. In 2018 they are releasing a totally redesigned G-class

That shit looks weak as fuck. Looks like it's made from an erector set. If you're going to go portal axles do it right.

I find I use the rear locker quite often, because the traction control switches off whenever the center diff lock is engaged.
The low gear and front locker is absolutely redundant though.

I have always loved the G wagon but refuse to buy it due its horrid reputation of being a California soccer mom bitchmoblile.

Do those pods on the top fire the rockets?

Out of idle curiosity what are you trying to emulate? Drug dealer with no taste or Nigerian warlord with no taste?

This car is one of my main dreams, if i ever get to own one of these i will know i made it in life, in other words if you can afford it, buy it, really dope car

>being this influenced by how other people perceive you
>not being able to enjoy the most offroad capable 4x4 money can buy

I've been in multiple G wagens and have nothing bad to say about any of them except the AMG models. They're very comfortable, powerful and are good for almost anything you need to do. Offroading, groceries, highway at 290; you name it. My only advice is that if you're doing any offroading, then don't buy an AMG. The suspension on the G63 and 65 is incredibly stiff and will destroy your body if you drive it on anything less than a freshly paved highway. Even driving one down my street which has a couple potholes was an incredibly uncomfortable experience.

If you do buy one, the do it properly. Put LED light bars on it for offroad driving and make it look like it's useful. 95% of the G Wagens and Land Rovers here in Vancouver are owned by useless chinks who can't drive properly and it's a nice sight to see one that is driven and modded tastefully.

the suspension is stiff, but pretty heavy duty on the amg models. The ride quality suffers mostly from the condom tires.

It makes sense that it's stiff on the AMGs. If I bought an AMG it would be for insane highway runs, not offroading.