Minimum wage

What are your thoughts on the min wage Veeky Forums? Do workers deserve a fixed wage above the rate of inflation? Or should the free market decide what each worker is worth? If you agree with the latter then isn't slavery the most logical conclusion? Capitalism seeks to maximize output by minimizing costs right?

Other urls found in this thread:

bls.gov/opub/reports/minimum-wage/2015/home.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Minimum wage works here in Australia.

I believe that we probably loose some productivity and a few business models are not managable with staff costs...

Yet at the end of the day its a question of what kind of society you want to live in.

I also think extra pay to work weekends and holidays is fair

without minimum wage you would be like taiwan

And what is taiwan like?

Minimum wage just drives inflation when the increased costs of poor-people labor are handed off disproportionately to those same poor-people consumers.

A person on minimum wage may have trouble buying food. I don't care because I can easily afford my food. So we give the poor person a raise. Cool, now he can buy food! But wait, food is produced by poor people that all got raises so now it costs more! Person on minimum wage again has trouble buying food....

It's a mixed bag I guess. It increases costs for businesses and the price level, but it also gives people who don't make very much more purchasing power. It's also good for people who aren't organized with other workers so they can have some basic level of support.

Ideally I would say the United States should set a $10 federal minimum wage and adjust it for inflation annually.

lets just say your diet will consist mostly of noodles and water

Minimum wage jobs are 9/10 times jobs for high school and college students (or retired people that can't stand sitting at home all day) to have a little spending money. They require no skills and aren't really physically or mentally demanding.

>Should there be a federal minimum wage?
Yes

>Should it be a livable wage.
No. That only encourages people to never strive for anything in their lives and be government leeches forever.

I personally cannot stand social welfare bullshit. It doesn't help anybody. It only enables people to be poor. I grew up poor and seen many friend's families (including my own parents) quit after a job or promotion that pays too much for them to continue living off government assisted housing, food stamps, medicaid, etc. If you didn't have these nigger programs then you would force people to be higher educated and more motivated to contribute instead of spending all day complaining the government isn't buying you a 50" TV or $200 pair of Nike shoes.

Just my $0.02 that nobody my age agrees with.

Every worker is a business owner, selling their product for as much as they can while remaining viably competitive. A business isn't going to raise your pay because of minimum wage, they're going to fire you. If slavery is the most logical, why do most fast food restaurants, grocery/department stores, call centers, and construction pay anything over minimum? Workers do more when you pay them a wage for fear of loosing it, it's easier train a dog with a treat than a kick.

Do you retards actually believe that the cost of goods is determined by the minimum wage, or is this just long-running bait? Raising the minimum wage by 50% will not make apples 50% more expensive.

Anyway, the problem with allowing the minimum wage to be too low is that the people trying to survive on it need to rely on government handouts (or turn to crime) to make up the difference, effectively subsidizing that cost of doing business onto the public. Libertards should want the minimum wage to be raised anyway since it will encourage businesses to replace low-skilled workers with robots and bring duh singularity sooner.

Except the majority of minimum wage workers are not high school/college students

>Hes against raising the minimum wage

Oh its a burger logic kinda thread :^)

Abolish minimum wage, allow mother nature to sort it out. There must always be death of the week or a pack will slowly lose to gene pools of people who do push out the weak. Like Muslims.

Raising the wage wont make apples more expensive right away

But then inflation will creep up as stores can charge more for the same product.

People are selfish and make poor decisions, get over it.

>$20 min wage works
>avg house price $1,000,000

>fixed wage above inflation rate
What? You mean an increasing wage.

>leave it to free market
Yes. Minimum wage is exclusionary and redistributes wealth unfairly.

>slavery is capitalism
Free market, key word "free". Capitalism is a two way street. The supply of labor for an agreed upon price requires both parties engage in the contract voluntarily.

>minimum wage workers deserve it
No, they deserve less than minimum wage according to the market.

>Successful businessperson
>Doesn't know how to crop

I went to college, got a business major. Started salary at 40,000, or roughly 19-20 dollars an hour. If. This fight for 15 trash goes through, then I took out 45k in loans for a 5 dollar hourly increase. I would demand a raise too if the bottom wages got closer to me. It would be a spiral effect.

bls.gov/opub/reports/minimum-wage/2015/home.htm

Good. Wages have been stagnate here in the states for 20+ years now all while profits and productivity increase. Trickle down clearly hasn't worked. When are we going to stop eating shit and stand up for ourselves?

Minimum wage is a decent idea but we uphold in a stupid way. The way we should do it is with a Labor Standard, aka Job Guarantee, aka Employer of Last Resort.

The government offers everyone willing and able to work, the most basic job at the lowest wage our society considers acceptable. This forces private sector employers to compete with the bare minimum but also ensures that everyone who wants employment will have it.

Obviously it's not about digging holes and filling them up but, even if it were, that would be an improvement on the system we have now.

The floor wage should be enough to give full-time workers a decent, dignified standard of living.

This policy has several other benefits but if you just want to compare it side-by-side, it blows our current minimum wage system out of the water.

Where everything is super expensive?

Calls for the "death of the week"
>week