youtube.com/watch?v=IzMnCv_lPxI
youtube.com/watch?v=fEAKPx_FR-Q
gameprogrammingpatterns.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I am number 1 baby!!!!!!!

you're game is not good

Yes you are!
Your game is good

Anybody have any pointers for making a good trailer?

You would be correct.

Yeah, what about, like, Alucard from SOTN? That's got quite a few colors.

I am a dangerous sexual deviant

Progress, implemented drawing sprites for my dungeon game. Tileset not made by me

Is /agdg/ just for anons who are making their own games or those looking for help with making games too? Not advise but actual work on the project

A friend and I are working on a RPG maker game but tilesets can be quite limiting, so rather than shilling out 80$ for two tiles that we need from someone's deviantart page I'd rather look for an user to work with
>Inb4 He does it for free
It's complicated, but the only thing that can be promised is Kickstarter monies after the project is finished, it's not a big job but it's something that needs to be done

0x49A73FC0

Focus on interesting gameplay moments and bullshots
Use text to describe what the objective of the game is plus any features you think need specific attention drawn to them, but use text sparingly

should i irrlicht? it seems comfy, light and portable to proprietary OSes

fuck is this

I fixed the camera so you can see through walls
implemented object system(still need to make combo's a thing)
and kinda finalized how the inspect system will work.

Also I have a twitter now
twitter.com/ConsumerGames

What do dev's usually put on twitters?

a pointer

>can watch pixel videos of tonetta

how'd you do it, user?

It's a bit of an experiment on my part, with no cash-out expectation. The reason I ask is that much of these threads are quite technical in nature, with little discussion on story or the ideas, but I'm in a strange position with this.

That said: technical shit. Perhaps a combo of VN and roguelike, in a way. It's what I'm capable of, so what I'm comfortable with and can accomplish. Hopefully I can explain in such a way that it makes sense.

The story component is far future, humans have created AI's and stuck them in engineered beings. Like any specialized piece of equipment, they have focuses on different things depending on model. Processing speed and "hard coded" movement patterns for soldiers that mimics military training. Memory capacity for maintenance units to pull up blueprints and schematics. Pure digital security units that sit and monitor systems all day and act as thinking security. They are all, however, living beings with dependence upon humans for what keeps them alive. They often do trade assignments pretty regularly, so they are "formatted," as part of usual maintenance, every six months or less.

You play as a maintenance unit named Terra. You start out getting formatted, your new assignment on a research vessel, and end up getting a bad format due to system failures on the ship. That's basically where the game starts.

You find out the other "units" on the ship were the ones awake during the cryosleep for the humans, and that something happened on the trip that killed the sleeping ones off in their cryobeds. The units only had some human underlings left as providers, and due to their processing limitations and focus, went batshit. They started having general mental problems associated only with the "units," as the humans had no problems with the same issues. Digital hallucinations. "Hardware driver failures" causing them to lose sight, hearing, or their sense of pain.

When modeling how many different objects should I make for one model? Should I try to keep it minimal? Does a part with a different material justify a new object?

>
How are you doing the customization? Do you jsut animate a skeleton and then put "armor" on the parts, basically?

Okay, so my major gripe with this game is that the control scheme is not at all comfortable to use. I guess it was designed with a mouse and keyboard in mind, but trying to use it with just keyboard (and a trackpad) really hurts. It's not comfortable to use Q, the spacebar, and wasd all with one hand with precision. It'd be MUCH better if you changed it to Shift, so that one's pinky could hit it instead of having to shift the ring finger between a and q all the time.

hitting both jump buttons at once is also kind of annoying but it's not the worst, not nearly as bad as the Q for long jump thing. Consider adding an option to use a third button, though.

Its a viewport with a videoplayer rendered as a texture(30x30px). I dont know what you would have to do in other engines but thats what I did in godot.

not first for kill the "any response to a coder asking about a thing is "no thanks but i don't like this engine good luck!"" meme

Use placeholder tileset, set up kickstarter, use funds to buy the tilesets. That's literally what kickstarter is made for.

>tonetta isn't on par with a paper that just has "memes" written all over it

sourcefag pls go.

Use Antarctica if ou are considering irrlicht

>storing a whole normal resolution video, probably with sound, so it can be displayed at 30x30

kys yourself immediately

I respect your opinion but you will have to find another artist.

Is that our friendly, neighborhood, flying, hooknosed merchant?

What's the best engine to use to attract an artist to your project?

Whatever you aren't using

diesel

Progress
After years my old shitty non vectorial homing algorithm used in old games or prototypes from flash era is updated for an optimized one using dot product and vectors.
Is beautiful.

b-but its not source.

>implications
I think its maybe 50x50px because I was messing with which resolution looked right and sound is included because I want to listen to tonetta in my fake room.

>n-no goy.

I'm not opposed to that kind of game, but for now I'll try a normal game with maybe some implied lewd things, if that fails I can still go and implement intense kissing action.

Not yet.

(cont.)

The roguelike component would come from enemy encounters. As a maintenance unit, you are incapable of using weapons (the ship has DNA and programming locks on triggers). You have to defend yourself by altering the environment.

You can access doors to seal them off or crush physical things (there are non-physical enemies as well, so...). Enemies have different senses in the game they use, so you have to abuse them to sneak by or hide via changing something in the environment.

For example, some can only see heat. So, you can channel power to exposed cabling or fluid transfers. Some rely on sound and can't see, so if you move slow, you can slip by. The main baddy was a security unit that lost his senses, and "installed" cannibalized sensory items into his flesh to purge the ship. Cameras, heat scanners, microphones, etc. He cycles between them, to try and locate the hiding player if they encounter him on a particular floor.

In the same vein, your character can suffer corruptions of their drivers which can cause them to lose a sense until it's fixed. Once again, as maintenance, you can tap into other sensory items like cameras and so forth to "give" yourself that sense back while your subroutines work things out.

The overall end goal is to figure out what happened, and get the ship into a condition that the AI can send itself back to Earth, or otherwise escape in a way that can't be stopped from the quarantine protocols the Security implemented.

You can see how I'm at a loss for which type of game to actually class this as, as the story component is very much part of the gameplay.

Are there any games that do Star Trek style "reroute power from shields to phasers and fire on my mark" battle well besides FTL?

I fucking love that shit and want to include it in my game, and would like to see how it's been implemented elsewhere first.

Not very lady-like
...but I guess this is no surprise?

>demo day comes
>your game is 200gb
>its 15gb of Unity, 1gb for a single room, and 184gb of tonetta videos for a gag that only you care about
>the videos wont even be displayed at their proper resolution, instead it will be literally 30x30
fuck you
fuck off

theres literally a star trek game that does this

My game is first person and heavily dialogue based. How fucked am I?

I can go more in depth if you want but generally that's pretty much what I am doing.

Not at all. Visual novels are quite popular.

I'm not sure if any of you really would use this, but I'm making a IOS and Android Unity asset that makes the Firebase analytics and database systems totally native.

Have any of you been seeking to use Firebase as a back-end for your games?

Babby's First Ever Pixel Art.

Why does this look bad? Where specifically have I gone wrong, other than everywhere? Also, I had to take a screenshot because the actual file is, ironically, insect-sized for some reason.

>see nerds with hooked up laptop to screen TV in dorm commons
>ask them what they're imulating
>"oh no, this is our game"
>ask them if they browse agdg
>"what's that?"
>oh nothing, just a sub reddit

>ideasguy.txt

but whats the gameplay? thats a lot of names and jargon but no actual gameplay

it made me lol user

They have a Facebook group

Please don't sperg out on them

Where is your game you stupid fuck? Stop commenting.

>taking a photo of them without permission and posting it on Veeky Forums
Fucking creep.

>sitting on so much art and assets, making more every day
>can't find a programmer because of a stupid meme
Just hilarious

lol, calm down my man. the game is currently 50mb. 3mb of which are tonetta video. Which I dont plan on including in the release its just a test thing to draw to the tv.

Hey witchdev always nice to see you around, witch is looking damn fine
>if that fails I can still go and implement intense kissing action.
Oh man, did it just get hot in here? I'm sweating

fuck you, dickless.

they're trying. you aren't.

You need to work more WITH your medium. Instead of trying to display complicated shapes, hinting at them is fine. Hard lines should be reduced to the diff between them and the next color (manual AA), and there should be some sort of sense of light. Indicate more complex objects instead of overtly drawing pixels for them.

I would say it's a good start, assuming that the character is supposed to be some sort of persia-ish defense sentry rhinoceros beetle.

I'm making a mech game too and would love nothing more than for you to spill your heart out with how you're doing it.

Pretty much all the space fighter games have some form of system power management, all the way back to TIE-Fighter.

I asked if I could talk about their game on Veeky Forums

They said go ahead

programmer here post your art let me see some of your work

I'm rooting for them you ESL no comprehension sperg

Show me some of your work.

[email protected] (throwaway)

What bugs me more os the default feet that do not match the perspective and the shape of some arms, they just look like formless pixel clusters

I'd like to know a little about your projects if you don't mind. Genre, themes, free/monetized, platform, engine, etc.

I have made puzzle games in Javascript, platform runners in Unity, and Castlevania type game in game maker studio

Ahh, well that's cool. I think I'l have to pass for now but good luck

Riding a broom just calls for questionable poses, there really isn't anything i could do about it, not that I even wanted to.

Saving considerable heating costs here.

I'm the second person you replied to.

Monetized mobile games, platform being Unity. Going to be using the big data solution I mentioned here for loadsaemone.

Genre / themes can really be whatever, my partnership is adept at programming and knows the engine very well. We're browsing artists for theme of their work, as the majority of what makes a mobile application good is presentation.

We're on the lookout for some artists to do low-poly models with simple textures (think DS) but are open to all mediums, if something vibes well with us we can create an idea around it.

We're also looking for an artist to render our company logo in the aforementioned low-poly 3d style. I've attached the part of the splash screen that we want rendered that was easily rippable from our twitter because I can't be assed to chase down the source file.

That sounds awesome. Unfortunately, Unity is not my preferred platform, but wish you the best

what platform do you prefer?

I'm just not interested, sorry.

How do people keep getting caught by this shitty meme? Is this the work of samefaggotry?

She could side-saddle it but that might take away from her ....charm

Kinda curious, how does the platform really affect asset creation? The only thing I can think of would be engine restrictions.

That wan't me.

>The overall end goal is to figure out what happened, and get the ship into a condition that the AI can send itself back to Earth, or otherwise escape in a way that can't be stopped from the quarantine protocols the Security implemented.

tl;dr
Your character is going robot crazy. Scavenge logs to figure shit out on how to fix them.

Find parts to allow you to escape and survive, while evading/hiding from enemies (impossible to kill them).

You can use wireless connection points in the rooms to operate systems to make surviving easier, because it lets you access items in the room that can be interacted with. (point and click).

Seal off doors to lock them in closets, vent them to space... Basically use anything you can connect to in the area to distract or debilitate the things you encounter.

tl;retard edition
survival point and click in spess with random ship and bad guys.

lets all collab together guys like a hivemind

Good luck

Any 3D bros here?

Are low res models like shadeless in blender?

I have no skills or knowledge to do anything involved with game-making, could I learn to make a game or is there no hope?

MAGGOTS

Every human is born with the knowledge and skills to make video games. Except for you.

Woke up this morning and started slapping together a remake of a project I made when I was in uni.

To bad bloom ruins webms to death.

I was being serious. If you're willing to discuss the details of your game I am all ears.

If I made you suspicious, then I apologize.

Either way I want to see your game at the next demo day!

>You need to work more WITH your medium. Instead of trying to display complicated shapes, hinting at them is fine.
Don't suppose you might have an example on hand of what you mean by hinting at details?

>Hard lines should be reduced to the diff between them and the next color (manual AA)
So, like, I should find a color between the two, and use it to space them out?

>There should be some sort of sense of light
How, if I'm not supposed to use more than four colors? At least that's what the other anons said.

>Indicate more complex objects instead of overtly drawing pixels for them.
An example here would also really help, but I super appreciate the assistance regardless.

>I would say it's a good start, assuming that the character is supposed to be some sort of persia-ish defense sentry rhinoceros beetle
That is EXACTLY what it's supposed to be, so at least I got that part right.

I know, but I can't find a way to make them look right.

I am not good at explaining things so I am making an image, just wait a sec

depends what kind of game it is 2bh, if it's all action then it's very easy -- just have lots of shots of action going on. But if it's a story driven game, you're gonna have to approach it more like a movie and get some plot hooks into the viewer while also showing off the goddamn gameplay and why someone would rather play your game than read a similar book or watch a similar movie.

e.g. the LoL trailers vs the AC: I trailers
youtube.com/watch?v=IzMnCv_lPxI
>a kinda lame CG movie about fantasy characters you don't care about doing things you don't care about, with zero gameplay footage or other explanation of what LoL is or why you would want to play it
vs
youtube.com/watch?v=fEAKPx_FR-Q
>shows some cutscene stuff, but restricts itself to what potential players might already recognize and have feelings about (real-world planes or regions, space objects, talk of getting fame and money) but intersperses it with actual gameplay footage so you know what the fuck the game is

this doesn't mean that you have to restrict your game's content to real-world stuff that's identifiable by FILTHY NORMIES, but it does mean you have to pick and choose what you put in your trailer. AC: I has just as much autistic lore as LoL, but it's fundamentally about flying objects blowing eachother up, so it talks about meteors, railguns, and shows off fighter jets doing their thing, because that's about the only thing that will make a connection with a potential player who does not already care about AC as a whole or isn't otherwise on the hype-train from other source.

Never mind I'm a retard

Where is your game?

well shit

Alrighty here is my workflow on how I create/customize my mechs

>plotplotplotplotplot
>oh btw proc gen lol :^)
sounds gay. where is the game?

this is perfect we need more of this for gamedevs here

Can someone recommend me a good book for someone who is used to programming web applications to get into making vidya? Right now I am looking at gameprogrammingpatterns.com/ but I think I need more like this. I guess my point is that I'm stuck in an MVC mindset.

Disclaimer; I'm not a great pixel artist

I'll be pulling examples from this asset that I used as a the player character recently.

You want to use no more than 4 base colors, and the amount of blending you will be doing is entirely up to the artstyle of your game. Different shades of these base colors will be making up your highlights and shadows. In this example, though many semitones are used, there are only 2 major colors with 1 detail color; Orange, peach, and Navy.

An example of implicating more complex objects would be the eyes in this sprite. The left eye is 2 blue pixels, and the right is just one. There wasn't enough space to add whites, so none were added; they are implicated, however.

Adding context to a sprite can also make it look a lot better, pop your beetle on a background that suits him and it might be more obvious what you need to do to make him pop.

Where is your game?

So you made a deliberate choice that all armor you make will match up to that bone structure, huh? So you cannot have a mech that has a reverse-joint leg, for example?

It is certainly easier to animate that way, and you can just hotswap pieces a lot easier. How would you tackle a larger customization mode where you can have say, 4 legs, or one big arm and a small arm. Or guns for arms?

report this post specifically

ban this chucklefuck

Also, this particular sprite has a hard black border around it to draw the player's eye to it. I wouldn't suggest doing this for all or most sprites.
If you're
Then the reason you have no developer is because they can tell you're not professional or flexible.

I'm not interested in working with you. That's the last I'll say on this. Good luck.

Is this the new SourcePosting?

Somehow i didn't even think of that possibility, thanks for that, i like it actually.

Well, just do 4 different rigs like that and you have almost every mech type covered, and with swapping parts around you can essentially do millions of variations easily, they might look all the pretty much the same though.

Well it's the same concept you just have to separate the main player skeleton into 4 pieces:
head+body, r-arm, l-arm, legs. Then in game you first glue the player skeleton together and then add the corresponding parts. Basically everything gets 3-4 times more complex.

Inverse Kinematics is also a possibility. You basically set up IK for your whole body and then just use math to control your animations.