Why aren't you rich Veeky Forums?

Why aren't you rich Veeky Forums?

My family.

Rich is a pretty subjective term.

Not really, unless you are a relativist.

Most intelligent people are.
If the definition is different for everyone asked, that's a textbook relative concept.

Well, some people matter more than others, so..

What is your point?
To someone barely scraping by, owning a home is "rich".
To someone making 250K a year, that's not rich at all.
These examples (and countless others) exist independent of "who matters more".

My point is that no one would call someone who owns a house and little more rich. Maybe "richer" than me, but no, not rich.

>no one would call someone who owns a house and little more rich
Really?
I suppose it doesn't matter where the house is located.
Monaco? Hong Kong? Bel Air?
I think you're mistaken if you believe "no one" would call such homeowners rich.

Ah, now we get to the root of it.
1. Buying something way overpriced makes you poorer.
2. We aren't going by the standards of people in poverty.

>Ah, now we get to the root of it.
The root of what?

>1. Buying something way overpriced makes you poorer.
Beside the point.

>2. We aren't going by the standards of people in poverty
Would those be "relative" standards. Lol.

In the civilized west we have higher standards than South East Asia or Sub Saharan Africa. Also, people's habits are not beside the point. It is what makes them rich versus temporary in control of a relatively small amount of resources.

>In the civilized west we have higher standards
A totally relativist argument.

>people's habits are not beside the point
Sure they are. Owning real estate does not prohibit one from being "rich".

>A totally relativist argument.
it's not a relativist argument if I believe our standards are correct

Even if this were true, you would have to all people in the "civilized west" agree on one standard for the definition of "rich".

They don't.

A true objective statement is correct whether you believe it or not. If you need belief for it to be true, then it's relative.

Even so, your original statement doesn't matter. Rich being subjective is outside the scope of this thread.

>OP should have said "Why aren't you rich by your own subjective standards Veeky Forums?"

>Rich being subjective is outside the scope of this thread
No, I'm pretty sure that's exactly within the scope of this thread. No standards were specified in OP's post, so assuming one is incorrect.

Assuming that each person will answer with there own standards in mind is incorrect? Uh.. I don't think I can argue with the user, you make no sense.

>Assuming that each person will answer with there own standards
Yeah, that's what I said. Everyone will answer with their own standards, given OP's lack of presenting one.
And why your statement "Rich being subjective is outside the scope of this thread" is the opposite of that, and thus completely incorrect.

Your original reply was just completely irrelevant and unnecessary. You might as well have said "rich people have money."

Not at all.
It was relevant, because not everyone understands subjectivity.
And it was necessary, because most replies would be met with idiotic arguments displaying a lack of said understanding ("That's not rich", etc.).

Perhaps you are right.

Laziness, lack of discipline

I'm a young 18 year old lad from Germany so I haven't quite had the chance yet. Parents are poor immigrants from Russia but I'm doing quite good in school. Any degree I should pursue that are more likely to make me rich? I'm beginning to read into economics right now but I'm not certain yet what field to study for guaranteed riches.

Can't say I was expecting that.

I'm trying as hard as I can.