Are 3-D printed car parts a thing yet?

Are 3-D printed car parts a thing yet?
Since they started printing weapons I assume you could print parts like individual throttle body, velocity stacks or even superchargers.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7ZrJsrTT4EA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

youtube.com/watch?v=7ZrJsrTT4EA

3D printers are a shitty manufacturing tool. They're not the future like everyone says they are.

Yeah 3D parts have been a thing for a while. Don't expect any parts that require extreme durability.

3D printed shit in metal has the durability of gravity casting or worse. The advanced techniques that can create stronger parts are too expensive to bother with outside of aerospace and supercars.

C&C milling machines have been capable of that for a couple of decades now at least.

They're great in special cases, such as when transporting anything is prohibitively expensive.
The ISS is getting great use out of theirs, for example.

It's called a CNC machine.

Koenigsegg made a turbo that's printed inside of the head or some shit. In general, printable materials aren't strong enough for most automotive applications. You can print cores, plugs, and molds for carbon or glass fiber parts, though.

You can use printed parts for investment casting.
GM used a similar process with foam for Saturn engine block.

PLA/ABS maybe, but nylon is tugh enogh to print a gun out of it.

>.32 ACP
>Single shot
Wow, it's fucking nothing. I know people who own airshit guns with more firepower than that.

It is something, also throttbodies, intake runners and superchargers are stressed much less...

Throttle butterflies are stressed a lot more. Don't even fucking think of 3D printing one unless you want to engine to run away until the bits of shit jam up your valves and then get smashed by the pistons.

>C&C

things like buttons, interior trim, side mouldings etc are all viable
things like superchargers aren't

I wouldn't trust a melted, sintered metal part vs a forged construct.

If I was a gorillion-aire, I'd open a factory for custom tooling parts for Veeky Forums.

You want an aluminum billet 3800? You got it senpai.

CNC Generals is my favorite strategy game

you mean air soft guns or air guns? There's a difference mate. Airsoft are toys, the rest are weapons but low power.

How to instantly identify someone that's never worked with their hands or made anything
>dude 3D printing man, what if you could 3d print a GUN or a CAR PART?!?!
Well, you can already make those things easily with a drill press or cheap mill that costs much less, and is easy to learn, it's been this way for decades
>yeah but 3D PRINTING!

CNC mills and lathes are subtractive, not additive. Although, technically a 3D printer is still CNC.

3D printing is good for certain plastic parts that would normally require a die and press or vacuum forming. They aren't really good for manufacturing because they don't have a lot of consistency. The parts they make usually require hand finishing.

.32 ACP is a toy