/pog/ - Porsche General

Welcome to /pog/, a friendly place to talk about all things Porsche! Current, future, or previous owners welcome. if you have questions, one of us probably has answers.

How do I Porsche?
(Prices are in USD and represent a sorted used car.)

>Air Cooled 911?
$20K+ SC
$30k+ 3.2 Carrera
$30k+ 964
$50k+ 993

>Water Cooled 911?
$20k+ 996
$30+ 997
$60k+ 991

>Boxster
$7k+ 986
$14k+ 986 S
$20k+ 987 (+$2-5k for Cayman)
$25k+ 987 S (+$2-5k for Cayman)

Based 944
>$5000 N/A
>$10,000 Tarbo
*Disclaimer: You can buy a 944 for under a grand, but the overwhelming consensus in the community is that sorted cars cost ~$5k... so if you buy that car for under a grand when you're done it'll be around or over $5k. YMMV.

>928
$8k+

>968
$12k+

If you are a regular poster who's car is not included in the OP, drop a photo in the thread and photoshop user will eventually do his business :)

Other urls found in this thread:

suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=235057000
suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=237425779
rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/414586-the-ultimate-preowned-996-buying-guide.html
magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=12634
forbes.com/sites/altheachang/2012/03/25/porsche-recalls-911s-on-fire-risk/
youtu.be/6H7xSw7bEms
automotive-fleet.com/news/story/2015/11/porsche-recalls-macan-suvs-for-fire-risk.aspx
digitaltrends.com/cars/porsche-recalls-2012-911-due-to-fire-risk/
jalopnik.com/porsche-will-replace-the-engines-in-every-single-911-gt-1545737774
blog.caranddriver.com/porsche-recalls-13500-panameras-and-cayennes-for-fuel-tank-seal-issue/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The pasta:

Want to get an early N/A watercooled 911/Boxster but are afraid of the infamous IMS issue? Well I'm gonna try to change your mind

>What is an IMS
The intermediate shaft has been present on Porsche flat 6 engines ever since the original air cooled 911 all the way up to the 9x7.1 generation 911s, Caymans, and Boxsters
It's used to indirectly drive the camshafts and is in charge of engine timing

>What goes wrong?
The IMS itself is perfectly fine, the problem was when Porsche switched to watercooled engines they needed a bearing on the flywheel side of the engine, and with their infinite wisdom they decided to use a sealed bearing with a lifetime grease
What happens over time to a small handful of these bearings is that the grease dries out and it fails, causing the IMS to throw the timing out of sync and grenade the entire engine in seconds
The bearing on the opposite side is lubricated by engine oil and has never been known to fail

>How often to these fail?
Engines from '97-'99 use a robust dual row bearing that has a failure rate of less than 1%, it's the engines made from '00-'04 that use a weak single row bearing that has a failure rate as high as 10%
But don't worry just yet, general consensus is that if the bearing in your car is faulty it would have failed before 40k miles
In addition the best way to keep it healthy is to actually drive your car like a Porsche should be driven; low mileage garage queens are more prone to failure

>How much would this cost me to repair?
If you have a higher mileage car I wouldn't worry too much, especially if your car has a dual row bearing
Fixes include:
>replacing the bearing with a new OEM part - $100
>IMS Guardian - $400
>replacing the bearing with an aftermarket ceramic bearing - $600
>removing the seal and adding a flange that directly feels engine oil to the bearing - $800
The last option is the only true way to fix the problem, but I personally don't feel any of this is necessary

>Magnaflows on a Porsche
N-NANI!?

Post an audio clip

$800 porsche user

Really glad to see pog back.

The paint turned out really well. Getting close to finally finishing up

Haven't even touched my 944 na since picking it up . Have an engine sitting in my garage which i want to go over . Fuck having so many cars.

That looks pretty fucking sweet.

suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=235057000

suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=237425779

So /pog/ I've got the money saved up for a 996. I plan on not giving a shit about the service records book after buying and just maintain it via a trusted mechanic.
Any specifics I should look for in a PPI?

This seems like a good place to start:
rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/414586-the-ultimate-preowned-996-buying-guide.html

Just got a Kline inconel 625 exhaust for my car, someone near me on a forum I'm on has a lift, gonna do the install soon, hopefully next weekend.

Nah the proper PPI will tell you everything within reason that you want to know. It is money well spent.

What car? Looks like it would be for a 911

Bump

When I finally get good recording equipment

Ayyyyyyyyy
that's awesome!

What magnaflows are those? If it sounds good, i might look into getting the same setup for my 986.

I haven't had the time to take my muffler off and see what's up.

'03 turbo

(autotragic turbo guy?)

Nah that guy only posts from an underground garage, I think this is the guy that tracks his car

>finally in a financial position to purchase dream Porsche
>can't bring myself to do it

How does anyone spend ~$100k on a car? It feels so excessive

Any recommendations on an exhaust for NA 944? Right now my pick is the borla.

Got 2 of these exact models on Amazon for 60 Canadian pesos each
magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=12634

Cost $120 to weld them up including the reducers needed to fit, the 90 degree bends, and the custom hangars with rubber mounts

It actually sounds great now, instead of like an anemic vaccum like it used to, but at the same time it isn't obnoxiously loud either
One thing to note is that there is some very mild droning at 2500 rpm, but there's so little room down there it's not like you can fit a couple resonators

do it user

worst case, you don't actually like it, do some cheap and basic mods and flip it for a profit.

That just means you're financially responsible. You could always go CPO or get an older model like a 997 Turbo or something

Give it a test drive and see if you fall in love.

Don't let your dreams be memes

Why has Porsche been so conservative with their design language? If you put a 2017 Porsche 911 next to a 1971 Porsche 911 the only real difference in appearance is that the 70s 911 looks downscaled.

I mean shit, I'd love to work at Porsche's design department. Me and a bunch of Krauts drinking and playing cards while die Ingeniueren are toying with turbos and dodging smog inspectors sounds like a blast. All we'd have to do is copy/paste last year's 3D model before der Chef swings by and pretend like we were arbeit macht frei-ing.

>magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=12634

would be great if you could post how it sounds user

who cares if you record it with your phone, as long as you keep a distance the audio shouldnt distort.

hows that shifter?

have you driven 986/996's with the other stock shifter? I'm thinking of replacing my stock one with something rounder like yours.

More effort and money can be put into engineering while other companies do shit like this

Porsche could at least alter it a little bit in a "natural" progression. It's an iconic yet stagnant design. There's no [spoiler]soul or passion[/spoiler] to it.

The GT-R had such a big leap in style it really made no sense. It looks agressive but in a killer microwave way.

this looks just like my uncle's house in the downriver area

They did but autists, I mean purists bitched and whined that it didn't look like the old 911s

I have no issues with it, though if it didn't come with the car I wouldn't spend the money on the carbon fiber trim. Shifter might not be too bad on its own.

The one I have looks more like the one on the left in your pic.

What's the gear ratio for a '99 986 Boxter differential? There's one at a local junkyard. Engine, tranny, and anything electric are already picked clean. I figured a Porsche would have a good rear end.

A 986 has a transaxle, so the diff/rear end and gearbox are the same unit.

Fun fact, non-S models use the 5-speed from a B5 Audi A4 or VW Passat. Good option for anyone who has a 986 with a busted gearbox and wants a cheap replacement.

I'll admit I haven't looked at it too hard. Can the diff/tranny/bellhousing be separated from each other (this is just for idle curiosity now)?

It's all a single unit, you'd have to go with a torque tube setup like the 924/944/928 used for an FR layout.
It's also not that strong and only a 5-speed, the Boxster S used a "flipped" 996 6-speed which is much stronger.

Another strong alternative would be a 6-speed FWD VW/Audi transmission, found in some European B5 Passats and Audi A4s/A6s.
These use a longitudinal engine because they also have AWD variants, but the 2WD transmissions are pretty popular for mid-engined kit cars.

Soon™

lol no, the input shaft and output shaft gears mesh all behind the differential, the output shaft basically sends the power back forward to the diff unlike other trannies that keep going in the same direction

>tfw second gear is a little fucked in my 986 S

i've had it pop out of gear a couple times, and i feel a clunk sometimes when i put it in 2nd.

:(

2nd gear is known to have shit synchros

So I went on a drive with my chinkese action camera mounted to the tow hood using the motorbike handlebar mount since it was all I had and it was a great failure

Literally heard nothing but wind noise. It also looks like ass

tow hook*

What kind of camera? GoPros suck in the wind, I always mount them behind a windshield/screen depending on if on a bike or in my car.

You might be able to get a remote mic and put the camera where you want it, then run the mic somewhere out of the wind.

Lel it's some $40 no name piece of shit. I'd get a Yi 4k cam but it's like $350 Canuck bux

I think I might try mounting my DSLR inside the car and running an external mic like you suggested, probably with a wind guard

bump

>tow hook
Seems sketchy

speedyellow best yellow.

Do they still make the 911 Targa?

forbes.com/sites/altheachang/2012/03/25/porsche-recalls-911s-on-fire-risk/

Yes
youtu.be/6H7xSw7bEms

Change your fluid and see how bad it looks. If you can live with it for a while you then you can save up and take it to an Indy.

I assume the process for removing the gearbox is similar to the 911's, you can probably diy it and take the transmission to the shop to save $$. But it will turn into one of those "while you're in there" things and you may spend another $500 on a new clutch ;)

Removing the tranny in a Boxster is even easier than removing it in a 911

Bump

Yes you're very funny

Moving out of the country at the end of the year and I have to leave my car behind. Going to be leaving it with my dad for a year and a half. After this exhaust and tune, think all my future part purchases are on official hold.

yeah kaitlyn jenner is hard to get to

that sucks, user

whatever you do, don't sell your tarbo 996!

Where are you moving?
>any pog related plans in the new country?

Lease

That's one of the great things about Porsche m8...
Do you seriously want MUH SPORTY LINES ANGRY FACE HUGE GRILL design language?

If i buy a used 944 even in good condition is it still prudent to rebuild the engine?

caitlyn jenner has a GT3 RS

So nice. I think I like this model the most desu

It's a 30+ year old car so probably

My grandpa has one of these guys, is a kit car although

Still neat, wouldn't mind a 550 Spyder kit car myself

Hey, I'm glad to see this thread.

I'm looking into getting into the automotive mechanic trade and learned that Porsche has its own certification program. I was wondering if any certified mechanics could tell me about it. I'd also like to know what the recommended route into the automotive mechanic industry is; my friends went to UTI and some are doing well, but I get extremely mixed responses about enrolling when looking around online.

Your friends got UTIs? Sounds awful, hope they get better!

Every single time I ask.

That's all you deserve for asking for career advice on a mongolian smoke signal bulletin board.

Sort your shit out.

Fair enough.

automotive-fleet.com/news/story/2015/11/porsche-recalls-macan-suvs-for-fire-risk.aspx

>22000 Macans

digitaltrends.com/cars/porsche-recalls-2012-911-due-to-fire-risk/

>1232 Carreras

jalopnik.com/porsche-will-replace-the-engines-in-every-single-911-gt-1545737774

>785 GT3s

blog.caranddriver.com/porsche-recalls-13500-panameras-and-cayennes-for-fuel-tank-seal-issue/

>13500 Panameras

>cars no one owns here

porsche a shit

You're so cool

They just published the new GT3.
Amazing.
Im on phone to lazy but someone should post pics

As in Allen Park, Southgate, et.al.?

2018 Porsche 991.2 GT3
500HP 4.0 & Manual option
starts at $144,650

I gotchu fham