/weg/ - Wankel Engine General

Hihg revs edition
>Pistonfags need not apply.

13b swap reporting in

I plan on getting an S5 FC, what should I look for when buying one?

An S4

But I want that 8k redline and lighter rotors though.

At the cost of extra weight and more electronic parts that fail.
Ok

>self shitting apex seals
>v8 fuel economy
>i4 power
LMAO

>knowing nothing about engines
>being poor
>a car is only its power
Lmao

>>being poor
>implying I chase after 30 year old shitboxes when I have a nice reliable car that I bought new some years ago

>damage control

I think you meant to reply to

>S4 FC drives fine when cold, but suffers repeated on/off hesitation when warm
It seems to be load dependent and as time goes on it gets worse - less throttle is required to begin causing the problem. But before it's fully warmed up it'll rev all the way up perfectly fine.

Nope.
Youre a sad sack of shit.
We are just here to talk about cars and you are just here to instigate shit posting.
And poorly at that.
Its pathetic

Throttle position sensor

>he's mad because his snowflake mobile is inferior to piston drive. engines
B-BUT MUH REVS!!

>tfw want doritos but my only wankel is a 12A that sat outside with open orifices for 10 years that I picked up to make a chip bowl out of
Think I could fly cut the rusted out irons and then ceramic coat them and have them flat ground and polished and have it work? I'd be doing all of the work so it would come out a lot cheaper than buying a full engine.

Original unit tests acceptable - replaced with superior used unit - no quantifiable change. Issue might take longer to occur?

>no power
>...until we add the turbo

How many engines with sub 3 litre displacement hit an easy 450hp with just bolt ons and stock internals?

NA 13b blocks are like $400 brah.

How was it tested?

>>pistonfags need not apply
>implying your shitty dorito engine is better in any way ever compared to a piston engine

>>>a car is only its power
An engine is only its fuel economy and/or power.

A rotary has neither.

Ok

No.

However some rotary shops can resurface housings. 12A engine parts are getting a bit scarce now.

more power per liter
more power per weight
higher revving
responds better to forced induction

Multimeter ohm reading. Old was 4k ohm at WOT, new is 4.5, both were about 1k closed.

and a car is pretty much its engine, and therefore a car is only its fuel economy and power

It would cost me less than $200 to refurb this 12A, and then I'd have a ceramic coated engine. I'm not asking about cost, I'm asking if it would work.

Then start checking grounds. Mainly at ECU, then work outward. There are also grounds under the intake manifold on the block that get a lot of heat.

oh wow so how come they were never really mass produced? Since this engine is so great, how come piston engines still make up 99.99999999% of all engines on the road?

>oh wow so how come they were never really mass produced?
you genuinely might be retarded. millions of rotary engines were produced
>Since this engine is so great, how come piston engines still make up 99.99999999% of all engines on the road?
fuel economy, environmental concerns, and maintenance frequency

so looks like I just disproved that rotaries are better in some ways compared to a piston engine, and made you look retarded

All grounds are good, serviced ECU ground under intake manifold.
I should explain the hesitation more: it's a straight up power to 0 thing and will occur at any point in the rev range if either the load is enough or it's been on and warmed up enough, and doesn't seem to be related to the 3800 RPM hesitation problems. It's as if the injectors are being cut off by the ECU entirely. I had an overheat scare that turned out to be a loose rad cap that blew coolant everywhere and I'm wondering if it could be a corroded connector on a sensor, but which sensor could be causing this?

They just polish up lightly scored housings, they can't resurface housings that have worn through the hardened nitride surface treatment. That's why in considering replacing the entire face of the housing with new material.

>hp/L
your displacement doesnt matter when you still have less power than a v8 while using more fuel than one

You've checked/replaced the O2 sensor as well, I presume? Are you checking the sensors directly or at the ECU side of the harness?

>muh mpg

Buy a fucking Leaf if that's an issue for you.

its not but id rather get the most power I can if im using that much fuel
something your dorito cannot offer

The RX7 has a very simple electrical system. There isnt much communication with the ecu aside from a few things.
Check water temp sensor and o2 sensor, although they seem unlikely. I have also seen weird gauge cluster issues that caused problems like this and were solved after changing it out. Very rare occurrence though

Checking in

I've yet to go through the sensors with the multimeter but I have "tested" the O2 sensor by seeing if the problem persisted with it disconnected and no dice. The way it's so on and off makes me think it's something related to the thermosensor on the back of the waterpump housing but I don't see why it switching would cause a loss of power the way it is.

When the engine is warming up it disregards the O2 sensor and runs in open loop mode. Your test doesn't really prove anything.

You're comparing what, a >5l V8 to a 1.3l two rotor? Even if you take the bullshit 2.6 figure for displacement that's still half.

Rotaries are unrivalled for engines that need to run at high rpm for long periods; race engines and aviation for example. In racing they punch way above their weight.

My understanding is that if the O2 sensor isn't hooked up then the failure mode is to stay in open loop. My reasoning was that if the O2 sensor was the issue and was causing the stall as the car came out of warmup mode, disconnecting it would prevent that from happening even if the car would run like ass, if that makes sense, since the car would stay in open loop. Then I could just replace the O2 sensor. But no.

I'd pull the coolant temp sensor instead. That way you're not relying on a fallback that may or may not function or exist. If that fixes the problem, I'd start with replacing the O2 sensor.

>rotorcucks actually believe this

>rotaries are better in some ways
>some
Yeah, weight and.... I guess that's all they have going for them. Big fuckin whoop.
Also
>>Since this engine is so great, how come piston engines still make up 99.99999999% of all engines on the road?
>fuel economy, environmental concerns, and maintenance frequency
exactly, rotaries suck at all of these

Kind of want to rotary swap my NA but it seems like a ton of hassle to modify the body for a higher sitting crank.
Doritos sound amazing, so might be worth it long term.

>tfw I want to buy an FC but the lack of fuel economy worries me

I mean, if I'm looking for something that gets more than 15 MPG, I'm probably looking at the wrong thing. But it's still a car I'd love to own.

>modify the body
What?

Stay mad rotards

They're better than 15mph
stop buying into memes and start buying FCs

I've been reading some RX7 forums, and that's the only real problem I see with them. Maybe not 15MPG, but somewhere in the range of 15-25 seems common. I don't mind the high maintenance requirements, I'd actually welcome it, as I think it'd be good practice. The RX8's engine doesn't seem to get any better mileage either, despite the improvements to emissions.

Oh well, I'm still a month out from being able to get a car. I'll just have to research and think.

Mine was heavily modified NA.
I got 10 city and 25 highway.
Wasnt tuned though. With a tune you can expect higher numbers

>implying your shitty dorito engine is better in any way ever compared to a piston engine
no one implied that
OP just doesnt want salty busrider shitting in his thread, which is fair enough

>oh wow so how come they were never really mass produced?
400,000 1st gen rx7s sold in north america alone
i'd say thats mass produced

>how come piston engines still make up 99.99999999% of all engines on the road?
because 99.99999999% of drievrs are cuckolds who sit in traffic 2 hours a day and care about nothing else
if the rotary is so bad why was it banned from le mans for dominating? LMAO

>exactly, rotaries suck at all of these
what are you even doing on this board, cuck? go plant some fucking trees and suck elon musks dick, fucking hippy

>if the rotary is so bad why was it banned from le mans for dominating? LMAO
Rotary fan here. Sorry to interfere with your rant, but you've got your facts mixed up. Mazda was running rotary engines at Le Mans for over a decade without reaching the podium by the time they finally won, and it was announced that the series was going to a spec engine a year before. It was hard work and dedication that earned Mazda the honor of being the only Japanese manufacturer ever to win outright at Le Mans, not an unbeatable engine.

How about that husqvarna v8 that revs to 10k and can make an easy 1000hp with a turbo?