F

F

blog.caranddriver.com/sold-gm-offloads-opel-onto-psa-peugeot-citroen/

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.com/news/business-38969791
carscoops.com/2016/03/buick-says-avista-will-not-get-built.html
jalopnik.com/the-buick-avenir-is-coming-but-not-as-a-car-1787276723
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So? Not like Opel was a good brand. But now Buick will have to make their own cars.

Opel did a fuckton of R&D for GM though, now their only compact-focused brand is Daewoo.

Buick already make their own cars.

Ford starts selling more and more of their euro developed cars in america, focus and fiesta are well liked and sell well.

Instead of selling their competitors, the Astra and Corsa, as Chervrolets in the states, GM decides to sell Opel...

They did turn the Astra into the new Cruze, but stupidly, they didn't bring over the OPC/VXR as Cruze SS.

All of GMs fwd shit is based on the same architecture (delta, epsilon)

Buick based Opels are so much worse than Opel Opels that this is not good news for Buick.

D2XX (Delta's successor) is allegedly being developed by, you guesed it, Opel. Epsilon was developed mainly by Opel.

Losing Opel means losing lots of FWD platform R&D.

>Not like Opel was a good brand
lel

Buicks, Vauxhalls, Holdens and Daewoos are mainly rebadged Opels.

Also Opel sold a lot of Insignias, Corsas and Astras in Europe.

It's strange that they weren't making any money.

Even the Adam is about as common here as the 500.

GM still own the intellectual property

Sure, but future R&D is gonna have to come from somewhere else.

I don't see that many in Madrid, I've even seen more Adam S than normal Adams.

I believe Opel was held back by GM. In all honesty the brand seemed to be competitive against its competitors, but GM sucked them dry to help their other brands. Kinda like the Mazda/Ford relationship back then.

I genuinely liked my old Astra G, despite the fact it was an unreliable POS.

Really? Even in Zaragoza, with the biggest Opel production plant in Spain nearby I see far more 500s and such cars than Adams

Can't say the same for corsas though, you see them everywhere.

Is that abomination what Americlaps consider luxury? Disgusting.

This could be a chance for Opel.
They used to build good cars back in the day and they've shown that they have the potential to do it again.
It'd be great to see them become a force to be reckoned with on the European market again.

I hope PSA recognizes that potential as well.

I hope they won't try to pull the "GERMAN PREMIUM" shit like every other German brand seems to these days.
I just want affordable, comfy, decent cars from them with the occasional fun offering, and considering Peugeot is good at making hot hatches again I have pretty good expectations for the next Astra or Corsa OPC/VXR.

> genuinely liked my old Astra G, despite the fact it was an unreliable POS.

Should have bought the diesel. Mine has over 410k with minor repairs.

We will never have a glorious Opel like the first gen Omega ever again

I`m more afraid the opposite might happen, where PSA takes all the good stuff for their main brand and turn Opel in parts bin specials. Opel Insignia could already compete with muh German luxury brands anyway. inb4 contrarians claiming that base model 3/5 series and A4/6 are anything special.

>even more rebadged PSA shitboxes

if anything Opel is going to be even worse, quality and reliability wise

Will this end the opel/fiat collaboration?

The Daewoo brand is dead, it's Cheverolet now.

GM have been in financial disarray for years now and things are just getting worse for them.

>There is large speculation that if this deal gets finalized General Motors might reconsider a merger with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles as there will be no overlap in Europe with Opel gone.
bbc.com/news/business-38969791

So they sell off the brand that did most of the R&D on their FWD platforms, the type of platforms used for their large volume sellers.
Sounds like a smart move.

Their current marketing campaign focuses on their underdog image and offering premium options like matrix LEDs in affordable compact cars being the follow-up to a massive marketing campaign to reestablish the Opel brand image (at least in Germany)
Changing that course would just be stupid especially since it has been somewhat successful already.
It's a potential way to sell Peugeot tech without the Peugeot image.

In the long run I'd love to see cars like the Senator, Omega or GT (done properly this time) return though.

>On 14 February 2017 PSA announced that it was in talks to acquire Opel and Vauxhall from General Motors. The talks were in an advanced stage, but were a surprise to the press and to much of Opel's leadership as they had plans to transform the company into an electric-car-only brand using the platform of the Opel Ampera-e for a wide-range of models.

AHAHAHAHA

I rarely see Adams where I live in the UK
500's outnumber Adams like 50 to 1

>a merger with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles
Which will mean what exactly?

The 3000 was neat, but the Lotus Omega was one of a kind. Too bad they completely fucked it up later, so no more large Opels. Shame, really, if the Omega B hadn't been as shit as it was, and if they had actually managed decent engines and diesels and actually gotten the V8 off the line, they might have had a chance at being relevant still in the luxury market. Up until the 60's and 70's, they had some better cars than Mercedes, for fucks sake...
Monumental failure, altogether

No. Chinks do tho.

The Bmw derived 2.5 diesel was pretty decent on the Omega B and Insignia is a good successor to it, only thing its really missing is rwd.

Opels might lose the good fiat diesels and have to use shitty peugeot hdi units instead.

Unless they can go back to isuzu engines.

Isuzu is still owned by GM, right? Because Isuzu engines are the GOATest.

Aussie here we where meant to be getting the 2018+ Insignia here as a "Commodore Replacement"
HAHAHAHAHAA i cant see that happening now.

carscoops.com/2016/03/buick-says-avista-will-not-get-built.html
jalopnik.com/the-buick-avenir-is-coming-but-not-as-a-car-1787276723
Remember how often Opel tried to be hardcore but GM wouldn't let them,? All because they are too scared Buick would cannibalize Cadillac..