AGDG - Amateur Game Development General

Yuno what time it is. It's progress time.

> Current Jam: Comfy Jam
itch.io/jam/agdg-comfy-jam

> Play Demo Day 12!
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12

> Upcoming Demo Day 13
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-13

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

> Previous Thread
> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/KUSDs9vt

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/8DFkkce3

> Engines
Construct 2: scirra.com/construct2
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
LÖVE: love2d.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com
mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/law5xpbf
info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Physics_Guide
store.steampowered.com/app/343150/
webmshare.com/omN4o
youtube.com/watch?v=Yeyzi8e6-yw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first for java

goodnight agdg

Reposting. Let me know what you think of this title screen music please.

clyp.it/law5xpbf
clyp.it/law5xpbf
clyp.it/law5xpbf

At some point the melody is lost, and it doesn't really feel like a title screen without a strong, memorable melody.
I really don't like what you're doing with the triangle channel. And the beats should have faster decay/slower release.

What makes a dark rainy street comfy instead of spooky?

Or should there be something different outside the window?

am i banned?

More light.

In game maker, how many scripts are too much scripts?

are scripts that span a single line too much?

>2017
>can't read hangul
lmao??

Ambient noises.

I wonder how complicated the actual scripting is for "Sonic running through a loop" It seems fucking daunting to me.

It's on-rails m9.

there's an article explaining how it worked out there somewhere
answer: p complicated

Not in the old games. In the 3D it is.

I don't know how they did it but I'd do it by having him go on rails until a full loop has been done. The player is in charge of speed the same as always, and if the speed drops too much, he goes off rails and controls normally. You'd do the same thing for those helices that he runs around inside.

>they feel for the textures meme

>Not in the old games.
Yes it is. It's just a non-conventional rail, but you're highly mistaken if you think that the old sonic games are driven with only physics.

Just a reminder, if your game can be classified in any of the following:

>Unity Game, Source Game, Art Game, Platformer, Retro, FPS, Pixel-Art, Casual Game, Roguelike, MMO, Episodic, Contains DLC, Monthly Subscription, Social, Souls-Like, Progressive, SJW, LGBT, Anime, or Furry

Then your game is going to be shit and you should just give up on it and start working on something actually GOOD.

info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_Physics_Guide

I know good games in every one of those categories tho.

I finally got a drawing (somewhat) done for the game I'm starting on. It's mostly just to cement the main character's appearance, as I don't have a good idea of what I want the enemies to look like. It's going to be a stealth game that mainly revolves around using your lantern to solve puzzles.

Thoughts? I know the linework and shading is pretty messy, but I don't really have a steady hand so I have to make a lot of small strokes.

Oh yeah? NAME TEN (10 [T E N] )

i wonder where that guy who posted two niggers running through a city every other day for a week went to
you remind me of him

Just mad that I am spouting truthful rhymes left and right busta. Where is your GOOD game?

my game is completely irrelevant to this conversation and the fact you ask me about my game shows that you have no sensible arguments of your own and are looking to discredit me as a side of the conversation rather than solidifying your own view as the correct one

Attempting to deflect my question into the ocean ain't gonna help you little brutha. You got no game son, just keep posting your cripple gif every thread and roll away like them nodevs you is, boy.

Stupid programming question here --

Two ints, name1 and name2. Either can be anything from 0 to 7

I have a huge list of names[]. Say I want to find:
names[32]

I want to find it like this:
names[name1 + name2];

but obviously, it'll give me names[5];

what do. I feel like this is a really obvious answer as well

name1*10 + name2

what

what are the values of name1 and name2?
if they are units and tens you can do name1*10+name2

it was you who attempted to steer the conversation into the direction of my game in order to pinpoint how it matches your vision of a game of lesser quality, which would be supposed to show me in a bad light and disqualify me from any further retort

Any suggestions for improving the UI?
Also thanks to the nice user helping me yesterday.

This only works if your programming language supports variable name concatenation.

>mixels
delete everything

Could a game where you play a necromancer and rely almost entirely on summons work? You would probably have some limited offensive and defensive magic, but the focus would be on summoning the right combinations of monsters for the task.

Dis lil nukka still don't get it that I said hims game be bad and then he flippin' his shit cuz straight up busted his ass with my dope truths.

The fun fact is he aint got no vidcons to begin with and now he be trippin' like a mofuggn nodev.

Try gettin' better at art.

100% this

you could easily sell your game if you just added some scenery and gory effects. perfect for let's play channels.

Where is your game?

normally I'm not against mixels but Jesus, every single pixel in your screenshot is different sized

Wizardry 2 did this.

Right here. store.steampowered.com/app/343150/

Where is yours?

isn't that guy dead or something

I actually thought the creator of this game was like a 12 year old and felt pretty shitty about people bullying him.

But he's a literal grown adult, what the fuck.

>chromatic aberration
do you play as a video camera?

>tfw in the dev zone
>making progress like crazy
>everything coming together perfectly
>have to drop everything to go to work

Off to a great start here folks.

Now you know my pain.

This is why I am here shitposting.

he's just attention whoring on twitter i think
people only meme his own tweets around, never seen any replies and i can't be arsed to see what happened to a shill who walked into the wrong place at the wrong time and instead of backing off before it was too late he went full retard

thanks for the help guys. I figured out a fix in the end, it's ugly as hell but it works:

sum = int.Parse(name1.ToString() + name2.ToString());

name = eachLine[sum];

>go to work
>have crazy ideas and get really motivated
>come home exhausted
>watch youtube videos and go to bed

webmshare.com/omN4o
toying with effects and audio effects

wait a fucking second nigger
you have two integers you turn into strings, then concatenate, then parse them into integers again
why the fuck don't you just use the numbers

Daily Reminder Gamedeving will not make you money only do it if you actually enjoy making art or programming

i have to finish the movement before i can sell it. its missing a lot of standard conventions.

holy fuck i've just realised how obvious your answers are and how stupid my method is
fuck

Are you literally retarded?

He has 2 variables lets say x and y.

x = 10
y = 10;

He wants to get a value from an array with the numbers.

If he adds them he gets 20, he wants the number 1010 which is 10 + 10 as strings.

tinyurl /jnp9hl5

He's e-Begging and playing pity sympathy, blaming Veeky Forums for making him make a bad game. He also may or may not have falseflag reported himself in order to make himself look victimized for pity points.

Also he is fucking sperging out on twitter about donald trump lmao

>Two ints, name1 and name2. Either can be anything from 0 to 7

>finish a game before selling it
>not robbing peoples money with early access bullshit

x*10+y
done
are YOU literally retarded? Is this what OOP does to people?

Though nearly killed by flu, I managed to finish the inventory system. There's some roughness in places, but it's functional enough for now.

because im an idiot, ive been fucking around with base-7 all day and its fucked with my shit

Yeah OOP killed my family.

I don't understand what kind of game are you trying to make with this in unity? Also, what tools are you using besides Unity

Looks tight

having to do some ugly hack is a good sign that you're using the wrong data type to begin with.

anyone?

its shit

he fucked up but the meme should die desu desu

too fast

is right, you should probably be using a multidimensional array. Though, x*N+y is how a multidimensional array is typically implemented internally.

i like it. looks very responsive. good work.

It's a good meme and it's educational for /agdg/ to know how to NOT handle your game

It's ok breh, but you got the correct answer given to you twice. Don't force what you're trying to do, use the chance to learn the ez way.
Even if it was base 8, it'd be x*8+y

looks tite
>3MB
>B&W gif
how

It's only up to 130 knots there though.

I've genuinely tried to enjoy his game, even got 3 friends to co-op it, but it's mediocre trash. Would have probably downloaded it for free 10 years ago when indie games were new and rare and not AAA but more hip, but it's sad if it's actually him that came here and shitposted.

What is a decent amount to give to a friend's game kickstarter where they won't feel offended with the amount? Is it like the amount you'd give at their wedding?

its a sword fighting with shooting elements and physics platforming. i'm just using unity and probably blender at some point.

50 dollars seems the perfect amount desu.

one tier higher than the copy of the game one

depends on how much work went into it so far and how good you think their ideas are.

God damnit his fuckin' facebook is locked. That place was a GOLDMINE.

Ohh I see that is pretty cool. How did you learn to make the guy react to the sword? Did you just go through the 3d Unity tutorial video basics and played around with the documentation?

>how did you do X
>did you just do it
Yes, user.

Anybody using Clickteam?

C L I C C

what do you guys eat or drink when gamedeving?

What is the best gamedeving food?

Thanks!

They put in a lot of work. They also said they'd support my game too if I ever did a kickstarter, but I won't do a KS, so it's just a gift to them. They might expect more if they think they're reciprocating later, though, so I want to do whatever they expect?

I like it, but I'm no expert tho. Aren't her arms a little bit too thin?

Maybe the puzzles, game could be something like keeping the monsters away with your light? So you always have to manage to keep it lit and not to get ambushed from behind?

If you get the monsters done, they could nicely fit in the dark of the background of your image just how you started.

Why did you post the same thing in /dpt/?

I only drink Water™ when I game dev.
>eating food while gamedev
I can sense how fat you are from here.

youtube.com/watch?v=Yeyzi8e6-yw

i just trial and error different solutions until i come up with something i like. for this one, he has a range that he reacts to objects near his head from, and uses apply force to move the arm there.

so

i went back to 2 directions (left and right) because the 6 directions looked ugly and a man must know his limits

i might go back to 6 or even 8 directions in the future though

slimes absorb your bullets and spit them back, but are weaker to magic damage
one thing to note here is that when i give them actual graphics it's gonna be much more obvious that it's absorbing your bullets because not only it won't have the white flash that signifies getting hit and taking damage, but hopefully also will show the bullets being absorbed and other graphical thingies that this rudimentary placeholder can't do

wisps just spin a thingie around and throw it at you
they're admittedly pretty lame but i'll figure something out i guess

Can you add my OC to your game?

Enter the Gungeon isn't even that good lmao.

your enemies need much better art for game