Can we have a medieval art thread?

Can we have a medieval art thread?

what's with the snail meme anyway, is it some sort of latin based pun?

I heard it was because snails eat paper/ parchment. So they were sort of the enemies of the clergymen scribes of the day. It's actually pretty funny. I can totally see the logic behind the joke you know.

Justitia's less well known 13 armed sister

it's a metaphor for our exploration of the universe that even if we keep reaching out (probes, radio messages) we're still blind...

>Medieval people couldn't make realistic art

Sculpting is a lot easier than painting.

There are dozens of theories, one being that they are a metaphor for armored knights.
Haven't heard this one before, pretty interesting. What speaks against it being a "joke" is that some of these illustrations are found extremely well made and expensive books, not some piece of parchment you'd scribble cocks on for shits and giggles.

The epitome of what medieval aristocracy was all about

>that feel when you're just sitting around doing your monk stuff when a Hindu goddess appears and starts lifting up her skirt

>What manner of gargoyle wanteth thou, familia?

>What is proportion?
Apparently no one knew.

This must be the work of an enemy stand!

I wonder what the sculptor's parents thought about this

>Gerhard, how do you want to be remembered?
As a mirthful and joyous person. Monkeys are a great way to express my disposition. Have 3 playing on drums under my statue.
>Konrad, how do you want to be remember
I can suck my own dick.
>S...sorry
I can suck my own dick. I spent 30 years trying to learn how to suck my own dick. My life's work must be remembered.
>S..sir, this is going to displayed on a house of the Lord
MUST BE REMEMBERED

Truly the holiest of men that Konrad.

>ayy senpai, this ain't weed

Seriously, why was the chuch okay with such obscene statues? What would the the people who attended the first Mass held after construction have thought? This is so fucking funny

>ayyyyyy