Sleeper Cars

Driving on the highway today I regained my love for sleeper cars.

I was going to do a buick regal GS(X if I could find one) but it seems the number in my area has greatly diminished since seven years ago when I first got the idea to do it and had no money.

Now I have more money.

What are some excellent sleeper cars I can mod / swap on the (affordable) that don't require expensive insurance and preferably sedan but coupe works too.

>Pic not related, everyone thinks you're a cop.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CD6VviUHhss
youtube.com/watch?v=O9ELPyHLcP4
youtube.com/watch?v=yb8Y3VUIoH8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The impala SS was a complete piece of shit

Volvo R, Chrysler 300 SRT, Saab aero, Ford Taurus SHO, legacy GT

Only one of those looks most like a sleeper and its' the SHO.

300 srt8 doesn't look fast if you debadge it

Ford Fusion with the 2.7 ecoboost?

no

S60Rs are pretty muted for what they are.
A rebadged VW R32 with a fart can could be fun
VR6 swapped beetles.
MS3/6 are pretty muted except the second gen MS3

Im currently turning my 1989 oldsmobile delta 88 into a sleeper. That 3800 engine is shockingly strong for little to no money.

VSport

Its got potential in its current form but needs some serious help in the handling department.

Could see it making 400+ with mods

Volvo 850T

Not at all.

stock sc300 with the 2jz

>buy rolling chassis Volvo 240
>buy LS engine and pre made wiring harness
>throw some good rubber on it
>RWD sleeper sled for

Then put a bad luck club sticker on it so when you die in a crash no one wonders why your transmission fell out on the highway.

not op but I want to make a fast car for under 4k

what can i do?

Buy a gokart chassis with rollcage and put a big snowmobile motor on it

The pontiac grand prix with the supercharged 3.8
They can take boost when built up, ive seen one run 460whp on a dyno. And if he didnt have meaty tires on the front it looked stock. But he used it for drag.

Thats all sleepers are for. Stop light racing

>Saab
>not a sleeper

The majority of normos on the road don't know shit about Saab, a 06+ 9-3 Aero would be perfect for a sleeper and fulfills the sedan and insurance issues you talked about

XJR

>fart cans and engine swap cars

its a sleeper thread

Chebby SS

CTS-V sedan or the wagon for ultimate sleeper status. The engine is bulletproof and simple and cheap to get massive power out of it.

The Chevrolet Aveo.
Before you laugh, hear me out.
The Aveo comes with an Opel 1.6L engine. Well the Suzuki Reno and Suzuki Forenza came with a 2.0L variant that drops right in. Don't even need to change the harness or anything. Change the engine and swap the ECU's (The 2.0L can run off the 1.6: ECU, but it'll run lean).
Now since it's an Opel I4, the world is open to you. Treat it as an Opel C20XE. Turbocharge that fucker. Throw cams, pistons, and con-rods at it.

Then watch everyone get slain at the drag strip by a fucking Aveo.
youtube.com/watch?v=CD6VviUHhss

How much would this engine and ecu changing cost if I don't have a lift to do it myself and do not trust myself to swap an engine yet?

May be my area but that thing is expensive for a used car.

>How much would this engine and ecu changing cost if I don't have a lift to do it myself and do not trust myself to swap an engine yet?
I would estimate $2500-$2k for a shop to do it. The ECU swap is as simple as unplugging the old one and removing it, then installing the new one in its place, and plugging everything in.
The engine and ECU can run you anywhere from $300 to $1000 depending on where you get it.

Also, all the performance parts for it would have to be imported from either the UK or Germany.

Keep in mind, the swap, to my knowledge, only works on 2004-2008 Aveos. In 2009, the Aveo got an updated engine with a new ECU.

If you're in Canada, there were also a few different rebadged versions you can use like the Suzuki Swift+ and the Pontiac G3 or Pontiac Wave (depending on model year).

You could also brag of Italian design since the Aveo was styled by Giugiaro.

That seems quite fun to do.

The hardest part would be waiting on imports.

Guess i'll look at some aveos in my area.

Your point?
>implying swapping an engine into a car can't make it a sleeper
You're a dummy

Someone is upset.

Bump

youtube.com/watch?v=O9ELPyHLcP4

Ford Taurus SHO is the ultimate sleeper.

Only 1 found on craigslist and it's salvage.

Did everyone wreck them or just not sell a lot?

They don't sell well, because people don't like the styling. It's due for a refresh in 2018, it looks like a longer Fusion now -_-.

Just expand your search

These are already pretty fast from the factory, but vq35de swaps are common and easy.
If you know literally anything about the vq35, you know why thats a good thing.

there's also the Chevrolet Lumina Euro3.4, but those are rare. Much more common to find it's coupe boyracer styled brother, the Lumina Z34. If you can find one with a 5 speed manual, snatch it. They're unicorn-level rare. Only about 3,000 per year from 1991 to 1993 came with the stick. Most were automatic.

Beware though. The 3.4L V6 engine they use can be expensive to fix when things go wrong. The timing belt needs changing every 60k, and the alternator is an 8 hour job to replace.

1995-1999 is my favorite. The 90's bubble styling, the sedate looks, and the roaring power from the VQ series V6. Definitely a sleeper to snatch up for sure.

Mine in particular is a piece of shit, but its a fast piece of shit that sounds really good.
The torque curve is so fucking smooth too.

Dodge Magnum + LS6 + Mustang 3.73 rear end = sleeper from Hell

My mother had that car and let me drive it when I was in high school.. and then she crashed it and totaled it. I would love to find one with low mileage but they're all too old now ;_;

Sorry to hear user. They really arent that bad to live with if you can find a clean one.
I got my '96 5 speed with 121k on the clock and an electrical problem that I still havent managed to nail down yet. The original owner was responsible for 119k of those miles, but the car traveled through several auction lots before I got my hands on it.
pic unrelated

>The original owner was responsible for 119k of those miles
That's awesome; sounds like they would be the type of person to take care of it. I hope it lasts you to at least 200k.

Why VQ35 swap when you can just get the 02-03 models with it already in?

Thinkin bout buyin one of these

some people, like myself prefer the looks of the 95-99 cars

Because they look like shit.

Wrong, the 04+ look like shit
Understandable

>wrong
lol no
04+ looking like shit doesnt mean 02-03 stop looking like shit.
Literally all maximas made after 99 look like shit.

You have objectively shit taste

>someone that thinks this looks good just unironically directed the phrase "objectively shit taste" to another person

That's correct, cause you have shit taste and there's no argument you fucking sperg

Mid-00's Subaru Forester XT 2.5L. It's like an STi with a 5-speed, open differentals, and more interior space. It also weighs ~50 lbs less than the STi somehow.

Lumina Euro

Swap in a 3800 and supercharge it.

>hood scoop
>practically hen's teeth level unobtainable

Or, ya know, just swap in a supercharged 3800 that are a fucking diamond dozen

Interesting... brand know for retirees driving, no body kit, slightly different rims. You can drive past cops and HOA rentapolice all day and not get a second look.

>he really means it
kill yourself you faggot
im almost afraid to ask what other kinds of cars you think look 'good'

>spergie doesn't like the truth

Not my fault your autism causes you to throw fits

yes, please post more pictures of pig disgusting cars so you can show me who's boss

What you're after is a Lincoln MKS with the Ecoboost. It's a gussied up Taurus SHO and has no appearance of performance whatsoever.

How about I post an actual sleeper considering your dumbass thinks a Maxima constitutes a sleeper

>Impala ss
>Piece of shit
Damn I remember my dad bringing the speedometer all the way past 140 back to the zero (so what , like 160mph?)
And it was the v6 not the v8
>Inb4 transmission problems

>buy focus st
>put normal SE trim parts on it (bumpers, wing)
>get rid of dash gauges + st logos on seats
>big turbo + e85
>custom exhaust to look /sound stock
>maybe cutouts
>steelies with grippy tires

>calls me a dumbass for considering the maxima to be a sleeper
>posts an even slower car
my sides

It's a luxury car that some people will look at pretty.

Actually neat design but either a: hard to find in not shit condition and b: swapping in power

I just want something that can be easily swapped and have a really fun and enjoyable sleeper for less than 12k that I can still drive to work and not look like a shitter ricer.

190 hp at 3k weight? roaring power?

Everyone who had a passing interest in cars thought my maxima was fast.

Fully loaded. The sportier trims ended up shaved about 100 lbs or so.
Also 205 lb ft torque, mid 6 second 0-60.
For a (running) car you can buy on a $1,000 budget, the maxima is absolutely fast.

My dad has a Pontiac Wave he's looking to get rid of. I guess I'll take it.

Couldn't you build a sleeper that specifically handles really well? Maybe a moderate boost to whp and torque, but do a complete overhaul of the suspension, steering, coilovers, and brakes on a well balanced car. It wouldn' necessarily be the fastest at lights, but if you surprise people in canyons and on mountain roads in a car known for oversteer I'd call it a sleeper.

Well yeah, but I'd just call it adequately powered. Compared to the spectra I got to replace my totalled maxima, the maxima is a speed demon, but in reality the spectra is just dogshit slow like every other 100 hp econobox, and that's what normies compare everything to.

good fucking luck finding a decent SHO though

at least, one as decent as mine B|

Uh you can't find a GLE for 1k in any decent running condition though.

And without the swap wouldn't the 96-99 be slow?

Holy shit someone around here with an interesting and novel concept. Id never personally do this project, but it was way more interesting to read then most of the regurgitated shit on here that people repeat because they saw it on the last sleeper thread. I even learned something about the Aveo of all fucking things lol.

Sleeper is generally used to mean cars that look slow but are fast, not cars that handle well.
Otherwise the MR2 spyder would be a sleeper, and id argue that the spyder looks faster than it is, although I think the 1zz does an absolutely fine job pushing it along.
>adequately powered
Thats a good way to put it. And i think that applies to the MR2 as well.
Driving 96 max through the city daily, i really dont feel like the car needs more power. If I open it up in 2nd gear im getting at least a $300 ticket. I have enough power to have fun and walk ricers, and even get in trouble if I feel like it.
Not bad for a $1200 car.
As I said, the 96-99 are already pretty fast even without the swap. 0-60 time for a 4th gen is about 6.5 seconds. Add a little weight reduction and some good tires and that time obviously goes down.
The swap is just so easy that its worth doing. Mine is an SE, and although I'd like leather seats, my ass appreciates cloth in the winter, and the white gauges are pretty neat. I even have that little center console cupholder that everyone apparently loses.

Its occurring to me now that I know too much about this shitbox, but then again it is my car.

The 3800 is trash. I'd rather just build up the 3.1L and turbo it

You didn't have to change the transmission or ECU on that swap?

Assuming manual since you said 2nd gear. The SE model could get 0-60 in 6.5? Or was it just the GLE trim?

Why stop there? Why not grab the 3500 and turbo it

The downside to the Aveo is that, aside from engine mods, they actually isn't much of any aftermarket support.
Brake upgrades?
nonexistent.
Suspension upgrades?
on the forums, they recently figured out you can get MK2 VW Golf coilovers to work with slight modification

And at the end of the day, it's still a fucking Aveo. A cool fast Aveo, but an Aveo none the less.

Also. Side note. Ever wonder why it was named the Aveo? Aveo is latin. Translated to English, it means desire. This was supposed to be something you desired.

Not even an upgraded aftermarket brake pad?

What about performance tires in Aveo or aveo compatible sizes? People often under estimate a tires impact on braking and overall handling. Especially considering whatever energy efficient all seasons that propbably come standard on an Aveo.

Since you're in Canada, the engine/ECU you'd be looking for would be from a Chevrolet Optra. Same 2.0L as the US market Forenza/Reno.

to any europoors. Sorry. This swap, so far, has only ever been done on North American market cars. Euro cars are shit outta luck.

You definitely have to change the ECU, not sure about the transmission, but from what ive read there's no reason not to upgrade to the 6 speed if you're doing the swap anyway From skimming threads and reading some basic documentation, its about as straight forward as a swap gets.
Im assuming the that 0-60 time applies to all trims, but im citing an SE specifically.
Since they're essentially all the same. I would assume the SE would be the fastest by a negligible margin due to it being the 'sporty' trim and lacking any extra equipment like powered seats or premium audio.

the base models are like 160 stock hp, would be easier to just slap a turbo on it then disassemble an st

They still make performance tires in 15" sizes, dunno about 14" if that's what they got

fun fact my neighbor has one, its fucking insane. his father also used to run Shadow (dtm cars) and now they restore vintage race cars and cosworth engines.

>implying fart cans go on sleepers

Wasn't talking about a fart can, was talking about swaps
Pay attention

>late model SHO

no

They make performance pad I believe.

As to tires, the perfect wheel size on Aveos is supposed to be 16" and you can get decent performance tires for them.

So combining MK2 coilovers, performance pad with a DOT4 fluid, and a set of performance tires, you would see quite a substantial improvement in handling I'd wager.

I always hit tires and pads first. They always have shaved significant time off of track and autocross laps, without even having to get into the rest of the factory suspension.

If you were so inclined.

I just remembered something. The Aveo was the replacement for the Daewoo Lanos, and supposedly built on a version of the same chassis. The Lanos Chassis is shared with the 1989-era Opel Kadett, so you MIGHT be able to get working suspension and brake upgrades using that but I'm not sure.
youtube.com/watch?v=yb8Y3VUIoH8

When I lived in Germany, Opel Kadetts were, and I imagine still are, being used for AutoX extensively, so you might be on to something there.

>implying you would expect a fartcanned VW to be pushing 400+ AWHP
>he's never seen a VR6 swapped beetle
>he thinks it's not a sleeper
How does it feel to just not get it?
Go back to stroking yourself over normie sports cars

My ideal sleeper
>94 Toyota Corolla Wagon manual
>3S-GTE 3rd gen and AWD transmission from ST205 Celica GT4
>custom driveshaft
>ST185 GT4 rear subframe and rear diff
>Celica hub/brake conversion
>angled FMIC

It'd basically be a GT4 wagon, but no one would know the better

why not 7AGTE?

Awesome thanks for the info.

>i watched a shitty youtuber and now want a shitbox

Because it's a 3rd gen 3S-GTE, far superior engine and it fits, also the AWD system for the GT4 is superior to the only other AWD for the a series in the US which was from the 4WD AE95 Wagon

>implying I follow anyone on jewtube
I actually got the idea from the TRD2000, I figured if they could put a NA 3S in, you could probably put a 3S-GTE in, and I read on a forum that if you swap the rear subframe with one from the ST185 you can put the rear diff that's necessary for GT4 AWD, all that in a E102 wagon sounds pretty cool to me