Should I buy a 2017 WRX?

In the past I thought about getting the BRZ, but the WRX seems better for my situation (AWD, 4 doors).

Thinking about getting a new one. Doesn't seem like much point going used and I like this new year model. Thoughts?

Unless you Vape you're not allow to own one.

I mean, if your not living outside your means buy one if you honestly like them.
But we both know youre not going to buy one because you don't have the money and like to post role-playing threads.

I like my 15 it does everything I want while being fun to drive still. You should test drive one.
No vape 4 me

My first car was a 2002 wrx. I don't vape and actually I kinda don't want the childish image but I don't see anything german that has a manual and is relatively cheap and fun.

Honestly still feels pricey to me. But I have about 150k liquid, and 120k salary so I'm not too worried.

I wanted a hatchback but I like the looks of these newer ones. Haven't even test drove it yet but looking into it.

Did you buy it new? Looks really nice.

>120k salary
>somehow only manages 150k liquid assets
holy shit you're bad at living a fake life lel

Well, I just bought a house. Plus I haven't been working that many years but regardless what you think, I just want to know thoughts on this car.

I don't want this car to be a money pit because I got a shit load of other expenses. Just looking for a fun daily driver that is better than your average commuter but doesn't burn through cash.

if you make that much buy the sti instead

They are fun but the stock map has so e weird shit. Rev hang from 1st to 2ND can go fuck itself. The throttle response is weird I think they made half throttle full throttle to make it feel faster than it is. Those were my only complaints and once I got a tune for it both those things went away. I had orignally planned to do more than a TBE and intake. It actually is faster than the stock STI in that pic. Ran him from a dig when we got off work. Once he sends it off to have the motor built it won't stand a chance though.

Bought a crotch rocket and now going fast in cars doesn't do it for me anymore.
Yea drove shitboxes for a long time saving money to buy something nice. It has since been ruined with many stickers.

Then you're probably okay with a new wrx, the newer ones don't blow heasgaskets every 10k or whatever and if you're willing to take good care of the car it should hold up really well.
But seriously if you made a thread here expecting rousing discussion and we'll thought out responses. Yikes.

>your not
>uses "you're" properly in the next fucking sentence

>not phone posting in 2017

Just looking for nuggets of knowledge or general opinion. I usually buy used cars but I am worried about the type of previous owner with these WRXs. Maybe new isn't bad?

Yeah, I know how it feels driving shitboxes for a long time. Stickers are easy to remove if you change your mind. Good to hear there are some easy mods. The most I would do is some minor stuff.

Sti has a giant wing, stiffer ride, probably more expensive insurance, and worse MPG. I just want something as a good daily that is still moderately fun.

Was also considering the focus RS, but just too expensive for what I want.

no. just get a v6 accord. or a civic for 3k. subarus have no redeeming features.

Stfu

do these things still come with the big goofy wing? that was my favorite part of the old wrx's

yawn

The sti's do, I love the way the look.
.t boy racer

Did you get the base model?

Yea wasn't interest in power seats or anything the upper trims had. Can always install my own fog lights if I ever want them.

>should I buy an obsolete vehicle

wew lad let me have a think

Constructive post user. 10/10

enlighten me. why are subarus good?

>268 bhp
>pigfat heavy
>objectively bad looking car
>15 mpg on a good day

subaru had their day in the 90s

there is literally no longer any need for them

Lel, try harder

have fun being outran by those standard german family diesels lmao

Not them.
I hate saying this meme, but Subaru's are great cars depending on where you live, up where it snows, they're god damn great. Past the yearly 2000s headgasket meme, they are reliable.
Not many cars have what Subaru makes at that price.
Subaru still holds some of the best safety rankings out there.
Plus, they make great camping and off roading cars.
Theyre performance has been lacking though.

If you can afford it I would go with the STi. I have a 15 wrx and once you get over the quickness off the line, it really becomes just like any other car with a little pep. The Mpgs aren't awful, I average 26.4, so says the computer.

But a sti would get even worse mpg. Also coming from a hybrid, a wed seems like a big jump.

so basically
>hurr durr muh awd

all cars have been safe enough for 10 years, they burn oil now and have an inferior engine layout, and any car can drive down a dirt road and a jeep or truck is better for everything worse than a dirt road.

My 16 sti averages 18-22mpg. I fill up about once a week for around 35-40$. This is just 20-25 min round trip commutes to work in eco mode.

Love my sti though. Had a 06 wrx back in the day and a 15 brz before this. Almost unstoppable in the snow we just had plus trips to the pass.

Pic related, blizzaks on some generic green wheels.

>all cars have been safe for 10 years
Ok, lets test a modern Dodge Ram and see how you survive going 40mph in a crash.
>inferior engine
>flat engines are inferior
>thefuckdidijustread.jpg

In its natural environment..

But why?
The extra money doesn't justify what you get for the STi, you could take that 10K you saved and dump into a WRX and easily outpower the STi..

If some one has the money for an sti they could easily do the same and be a bit far out of a guy with less money that wants to build up a wrx.

get a fucking mustang GT. I got a WRX new and i fucking regret it

Honestly I can't see why you would pay an extra 10k for STi when it still has that dinosaur under the hood. The EJ25 is seriously long in the tooth and long overdue for replacement. The FA20 is a thoroughly more modern engine and the twin-scroll turbo is more advanced too. The only reason to get an STi is because the WRX sounds like a riced out Honda with anything other than stock exhaust. Seriously, don't put an exhaust on the WRX.

>the WRX sounds like a riced out Honda with anything other than stock exhaust. Seriously, don't put an exhaust on the WRX
With the full exhaust mine actually sounds more like a German car that a honda.

>higher future resale
>boxer sound
>more things like bigger breaks, stiffer body, c.diff controls, DCCD, nicer interior (kinda opinion) hits boost later holds boost longer etc

My wife has a mustang and I'm not really looking for a RWD 2-door

From ones I've heard that even have partial exhaust done, it sounds pretty nice.

They're entertaining to drive and have fantastic visibility .

Does that count? I like how my Subarus drive.

I chose my Mustang over the WRX.

Do people put lsd's in the wrx?

Well I would still wait for them to phase out the EJ series in the STii. Should be soon.

WRXs come with a LSD rear diff and an open viscous diff centre and up front, I believe. STIs come with LSD front and rear with controllable centre diff.

Not since 2007. 08+ only have open diffs on the WRX. STI's always have LSDs in back, front, and center.

Nope, my mistake. They have open front and rear and a viscous centre diff. You can install LSD into front and rear - it's a common mod ifaik

GC8 STIs had R160 rear diffs, open front and viscous centre diffs, save for the Type Ra and Type R, which had a DCCD and R180 rear diff. V limited also had helical front LSD

You want to wait for the 2018 WRX. They're improving aesthetics significantly, improving the 6MT's feel and synchro design (it needs this, as well as shifter slop which Subaru has eluded too), as well as better wheels, "performace package" if you want that, and some other things. The Premium trim is now what you want, as it gets the 7" starlink standard.

They're really fun cars. They come with a shit tune, but are still well rounded and entertaining. Not as spot on as the older ones, but more capable and much bigger inside. Don't let the sedan form fool you, the 2015+ WRX has a huge trunk and rear seat space/leg room.

I sell these every day for a living. AMA.

After about a month my thoughts are:

>Fun to drive
>The whole 'uncompromising stiff ride' thing you read online is only half true
>Rev hang in 1st and 2nd sucks a fat cock
>The stereo is worse than the one in my '07 Yaris (apparently the H/K upgrade is worth it)
>Shitloads of tire noise (kinda wish they'd done what the Germans do and pipe in fake noise, if this is the alternative)
>Corners stupid flat and no signs of understeer

Once I'm done with the breakin period I'll give it a good hoon and see how the limit handling is but I suspect the car has more chasis than engine.

I haven't sold a single WRX to kids who vape, brah. I mostly sell them to spergs and idiots who think it's the best car in the world. I haven't had the chance to sell one to a true enthusiast yet. The vape meme sort of pisses me off around here. The parroting is fucking real.

This guy knows. The stock stereo is a fucking gimmie. Even the Harmon Kardon is not very good at all. It's worth getting the 7" screen and scrapping the whole set of speakers, or gut the whole system and start anew.

Do you actually like big sti wings?

Make your own decisions for once in your life, kid

Fucking LOVE the wing. I had a customer the other day specifically request one without a wing. I had to go get it, too. It made me sad.

No wing? Why even buy the boy racer model :(

GDB WRXs have R160s, open front and viscous center and rear diffs

GDB STis had R180s/DCCD, all of them (US/JPN)

When I say GDB I mean all 02-07 Imprezas, fyi.

Newer WRXs definitely do. I'd fully bet money on a 2016 WRX being as fast or faster than a 2006 WRX STI. They're at the point that they're boring because they have such high limits for the street you can't come close to what the car's capable of without going retarded fast.

The front clip looks so fucking ugly, kind of like a mini IS-F but it looks so bloated and muscular. I hate it.

My thoughts exactly. The car looks amazing with a wing. It really needs it, this generation. It puts a good finish on the slopped roofline, which looks pretty boring and uncharacteristic without it.

How much can I negotiate off msrp?

WRX's naturally have really slim markup. Truecar actually has a pretty good idea of invoice, which is only about 1500 for a base WRX, maybe 2000 for a premium. Limiteds are a touch more naturally.

Negotiating at Subaru dealerships is pretty easy. If you are 100% you want to buy one, don't set foot in the door until you get the final price worked out. Generally, nowadays, you should be able to get invoice pricing or at least 500 over on a WRX at any Subaru dealership.

Thanks! Is it worth getting the limited? I need a car with HID, so if I got the base I would be installing those. Power seats would be nice too.

I bought a 16 WRX because it met what I was looking for in that price range. Has done alright by me. I work nights in a field where I need to show up for work regardless of weather and commute from southern NH so the snow can be a concern at times. Super affordable, I got mine at under 25k new for the base and have put about 16k on it so far no complaints. If I lived where there was no snow I'd probably get something else but whatever.

I would ask you this; why do you "need" HID?

Limited WRX's are very nice, but they are sort of expensive. They're also going to be heavier, which means slower. The headunit you get is nicer/faster (still not very good), the leather is good quality, power seat is nice, and the headlights are pretty good as well. The black bezel is also amazing in terms of look.

If that equipment is worth it to you, then go ahead and get one. You ARE going to be in right in STI pricing, so if you are comparing a Limited WRX to an STI, I say go STI. You're going to get nearly all of the same equipment, and have a better car for the same price. The ride will be stiffer, MPG will suffer, and the boost will come in later, but it's a more charismatic car with more prestige and resale.

That's why I personally would stick with a premium trim. You still get good equipment, but you're not encroaching into STI pricing territory. It's a good middle ground and you still get a lot of car.

If you just want HID, I would nearly say go with a base. Gut the sound system, get fog lights later, don't get the shitty sunroof, and retro fit the HID's. Save you some dosh, too, and still get a great car that's the lightest of the bunch.

Wait a minute is your pic supposed to be the 2018? It looks exactly the same as the current WRX, I can't see whats different. On an unrelated note, WHY IS THERE NO HATCHBACK WRX ANYMORE REEEEE

See

D-.. Did you read the post.. A lot has changed not the whole car.

How would you guys compare new WRX to BRZ? Few have said BRZ has better steering

Same, also live in southern NH but I have a 10yr old legacy wagon 2.5 slow edition. I REALLY need to put snow tires on it.

The brz is not as heavy and it's not as powerful so it's naturally got better handling.
Wrx is more powerful but also heavier so it's harder to keep momentum in turns without fucking up, it's sort of like comparing a miata and a 370z

Totally and entirely different cars. Barely comparable.

What KIND OF car are you looking for?

Yeah but user said they were "improving the aesthetics". Aside from maybe different grill openings it looks exactly the same. Is the interior what they're changing mostly? I haven't actually sat in a current gen WRX so I don't know them well.

WRX is like a camry with AWD

Leaning towards brz, few wrx owners have said wrx is better than brz in every way

I'm user who posted that pic. Front bumper is different, different wheels, better touch materials inside. Not a huge difference, just a facelift. Still, IMO the front bumper is a big improvement. Less pig face, and they went to the 2017 Impreza grill.

You keep comparing them.. There not very comparable aside from badging.

Only thing comparable is price, I'd like to believe brz handles backroads better

What is stopping Subaru from offering the FB20 turbo in the BRZ? Is there a legitimate technical reason for why they can't do this or are they somehow worried that it would cannibalize WRX sales? They're totally different cars in totally different classes so I can't see why the would think that.

Not 100% sure but I think it's a space issue. New wrx has turbo on the bottom. Since brz is lower not sure it would fit.

Also it would prolly take wrx sales if they put a turbo on it

"handles backroads better" is also a bit subjective. The BRZ stock has the sensation of handling better, yes. That's also pretty subjective.

What do you want out of a car? If all you want is something that does corners really well, buy a motorcycle. You will obviously have other requirements, most likely ones such as "keep rain off of me" and "I want to have maybe another human being in here with me at times".

If you have any requirements for space and any level of comfort, buy a WRX. If all you care about is cornering, buy a BRZ.

Uhh, if you need ground clearance id lean twords a wrx, but if it's just good Sunday drivingid go brz

Why do Subaru owners have such shit taste?

Why do shit posters have such bad bait.

So you negotiate via email for specific models on the lot right? Never done this before.

It really bothers me having halogen. I just like the look of HID much better. Could I throw in some HIDs into the halogen projector?

Email, call, whatever you want. Don't worry about on lot or not, just tell them you want a specific car and don't care if you have to order it. You're looking for the best price, and if it sounds good, you can come in that day/week and get the papers signed.

Blast your shit out to every Subaru dealership within 200 miles and wait for them all to drop their pants. The one that is most up front, transparent, and gives you the best price, go with them. Done and done. It's not hard, but if you want a good price on a WRX, just take your time, be NICE to these folks, and they'll work with you.

>Also it would prolly take wrx sales if they put a turbo on it

That's the rub though, the WRX is a roomy sedan whereas the BRZ is a cramped 2+2 sports car. Nobody who wants a sedan is buying the BRZ and nobody that want's a sporty 2+2 is looking at the WRX. I get that maybe the exhaust and locating the turbo would probably be a ground-up effort from R&D but hell, to me they could have an STi version of the BRZ or some shit. Maybe the driveline in the BRZ is too weak for even the FB20, or maybe market research shows they wouldn't get a return on investing in that development?

>Could I throw in some HIDs into the halogen projector?
For the love of god DO NOT DO THIS. You won't see any better at night and every oncoming driver will have to shield their eyes from you. If nothing else get the HID parts from a wrecked WRX and swap them in, or better yet just buy the higher trim level if having halogens would be such a problem for you.

Thanks for the info. I am a pretty nice person too.

I would prefer to have legit HID so maybe a higher trim makes sense but I have also thrown HID into halogen projectors in the past and they have a pretty clean cutoff line. (Don't hate me)

Just picked up a 2017 STI after making like 40 threads here debating on whether to do it not.

I do not regret it one fucking bit. I kept saying I had never driven manual before, but it doesn't matter now. I am making up excuses to go around and drive places now.

I am a sales manager at a luxury used car dealership so I get to drive some nice vehicles, but nothing has ever tickled me quite like this one. I haven't taken a single demo since I got the STI. Everything about it feels raw, it's so refreshing in this era of boring machines.

I say go for it as long as it fits within the budget.

The only thing I can't decide is whether or not to rustproof it. Up here in the great white north, everything is just salt all the time. People are telling me Subaru does enough rust protection from the factory, but I just don't know. Can anyone chime in?

Never seen a major problem for people who wash there undercarriage regularly, but really, compared to the peace of mind is it worth the cost? If the awnser is yes, do it.

I always hear this but I don't understand how I'm supposed to be washing the underside of my car. Are you putting your car on a lift and spraying it with a pressure washer? I'm sorry if this is super retarded.

I'll take it to Krown and have them spray it with oil and tell them not to drill holes, if nothing else, for the peace of mind as you said.

Yeah, a ramp, or just jack it up on a day it's not below freezing and spray it off with a power washer or just a run of the mill garden hose with a nozzle, heck find a car wash that washes under your car, if you live in a really salty area you only need to do this like once a month. If your car has a good wax in the fall and you remember to just give it the spray down once a month rust just shouldnt ever be a problem.

As a note to my last post, if you're worried about it, then you're going to remember to do something. Rust usually happens when people just don't care and drive it every day for 6/8 months without even looking for rust. So you're already half way there. :)

>People are telling me Subaru does enough rust protection from the factory, but I just don't know. Can anyone chime in?

Some years of Foresters had subframe rot issues and I've seen numerous older Legacies and Outbacks with rotted quarter panels but over all they're pretty tough against winter. Personally I caught some rust just starting on the backside of the quarters on my 07' wagon but I POR15'd those areas so hopefully they don't rust through later down the road.

Did anyone consider the RS before getting their Sti?

I'm actually leaning more to getting the RS over the STi. I like the hatchback functionality and the seating is much more comfortable since I'm not all that tall. That and I don't plan to modify my car. Maybe get a RDU cooling unit if they ever come out with one for the RS.

The 2018 is getting upgraded brakes, a revised interior and Recaro seats. I'd wait for that to come out this Summer.

Impreza Wagons have bad strut tower rust. Its hard to spot, but its at the side facing the front of the car, the undercoating there on the outside gets old, cracks, and water wicks through the nuts for the seat latch mounts. Pretty much impossible to spot without taking the rear strut tower trim apart.