Redpill thread

Redpill me on the 2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0 Turbo. Why is there so little information about this vehicle? It has decent power, tune potential, comes with a manual, is RWD, and is coming dangerously close to my affordable zone.

What is wrong with this car? It seems to me like any hype people might have for it is overshadowed by the ATS-V. This is a pretty attractive option to me because Lexus is250s are too heavy and weak, while other luxury brands seem to expensive to repair.The Caddy seems like a typical modern GM with OK reliability and cheap plentiful parts. It also is described as somewhat sporty, which is also a plus. My only other consideration would probably be a G37 sedan which is also super rare in manual.

Busriders and benchracers, rev up your redpills and get in here.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eKR5Gbm78Kc&t=893s
caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-cadillac-ats-sedan-v-6-test-review
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I like this car but the only thing I keep on hearing is that the interior interface system is dog shit and I don't know if that bothers you but otherwise I've heard that they are pretty sporty to drive, good on fuel and kinda okay to run and maintain.

There's nothing really wrong with it, it's just in a price range where people don't really have a desire.

It's too expensive for some early-twenty-something to run up the gearboxes on, and anyone who wants a Cadillac will just go for a V Series, and anyone going for a Sedan would just get a CTS. It fills a super niche market

Honestly I would be cool with it if it had bluetooth music + phone and NOTHING else. I do not give a fuck because I have a phone.

This is what I don't get, how are we supposed to drift like our Japanese lords and saviors did in the 90s without affordable rear wheel drive power? This car is one of the extremely rare bunch that retains a decent amount of practicality while doing the fun sporty stuff too.

I was looking at the Cobalt SS turbo at one point, and though "This really should have come in a RDW vehicle". And this is it, isn't it?

I wish that Gm made a cheap version of the ats without the shame of having a camaro without a v8.

OP here, bampu~

The fact that nobody has shouted me down on this vehicle only worries me more. Are the flaws of it really that unknown? I forgot to mention- I don't really have the option of getting an older RWD car for cheap up here in Canada. I am going to have to go with fairly recently used cars only and there are precious few RWD to choose from.

The stock headers are shit, and you will probably need to replace them after 50,000 miles.

The power steering has been known to fail after 100k+ miles without warning, so you need to stay ontop of that.

The turbo has extreme lag and its infamous for its unreliability. Expect to replace it after 100k+ miles.

Also the suspension is soft as dog shit, and the stock brakes are basically a neccessity to replace.

It's a cadillac. While the ATS is comparable to the 3 series in market segment that's about fucking it. Caddy hasn't taken performance seriously since the last gen CTSV.
Also it just came out 3 years ago, Fiesta's aftermarket didn't explode here in the US til about 2 years ago, and they've been around longer than the ATS.

shitty modern car design.
shitty CUE

This. I'd love to see that!

>Honestly I would be cool with it if it had bluetooth music + phone and NOTHING else. I do not give a fuck because I have a phone.
Hence why I told "if that bothers you...". I am yet to test drive one and see how it's like. If it does my basic GPS, bluetooth, FM, AUX and A/C, I don't care how it looks or feels.

I'm from europe and I'm in market for a new cadillac and after test drives and analizing cadillac I will tell you this. Dont buy the fucking ats, its the worst cadillac on the market right now(still not bad though) and cts is basicly the same thing. XT5 is preety good but I hate fucking crossovers. Cadillac escalade is amazing great gerabox, engine, well equiped car and reliable but a bit to expensive for me to own over here but I didn't have any complaint about it, really loved that car. Since you want a sedan I would strongly suggest you a ct6 and for the size is very sporty and all and all well put together. Unfortionatelly they somehow don't sell XTS here and thats a shame since its next to escalade the only proper cadillac at the moment. Becouse its not avaliable here I test drove it in USA and its great. Looks great, roomy but not big on the outside, trunks space is great, well equiped, drives like a dream, gerabox is great and price is on point... xts really is a solid , proper cadillac, real american luxury sedan (escalade too but its an suv) build quality is great just like in the escalade or ct6 but xts is an honest comfy sedan just be sure to buy a v6 model becouse just like in every car you can have problems with turbos sooner or later. ats and cts are more performance orientated but unlike the XTS, CT6 or escalade they are built like shit and to stiff on some ocassions becouse of "muh sporty feel". Cue is not bad I think is just fashionable to talk how bad it is(I am a bmw owner at the moment and its way more complicated electronics and annoying at times). And some caddy dealrship statistic from USA where the sales man said to me that a huge percantage of costumers that came to buy a ct6 rather bought XTS. I strongly advise you to buy an xts with NA v6 or base model ct6 or escalade if you can afford it . cadillacs are really great cars just dont buy the ats or cts, just go for the XTS god dammit and report later when you buy it

and here is a video of what I found out when i test drove the ats and cts in germany(I'm not the presenter though)
youtube.com/watch?v=eKR5Gbm78Kc&t=893s
check the build quality at 14:05
also the stitches are horrible in the ats/cts just and not completely straight unlike in ct6, XTS or escalade

I just made all this shit up. I have never been under the hood of a car. Did it sound believable?

not rally you were wrong about suspension, brakes, turbo lag, headers, power steering pump. But you were on point with turbo unreliability

No, user bellow you pointed out all the things you got wrong so it's not really beliveable

the reason why there isn't much info on them is because not many people have bought them. Cadillac sells less cars than Chrysler which has maybe 2-3 cars verses Cadillac's many more. Less cars on the road = less data to work with.

From my understanding, the ATS is basically a camaro with 4 doors and handles like so. Its better than anything in its segment when it comes to performance but fails to also be luxurious which is what most people want when paying $40k-$50k for a car.

caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-cadillac-ats-sedan-v-6-test-review

Article above pretty much sums up the flaws of the car in 1 page. Its a great performance car but suffers to actually be compared to a 3 series or C-class when it comes to interior quality.

IMO, i think its an Veeky Forumstist's best sports sedan. It handles great, isn't a badge whore car, comes in stick, rwd, standard limited slip diff, and decent aftermarket.

I appreciate the feedback, my good European user. I will just have to make my decision when the time comes to test drive cars. I wanted to know if there were any deal breakers about the car. Nothing I have seen in this thread has been, so I will give the car an honest shot.

>This is what I don't get, how are we supposed to drift like our Japanese lords and saviors did in the 90s without affordable rear wheel drive power?

At least apply yourself if buying a Cadillac

Serious question, why not go lurk on an ATS forum? Forums usually do agood job of highlighting problems because actual owners go to them to complain or find remedies for their issues if out of warranty.

I doubt anyone here actually knows anything about the ATS in general.

I didnt like it because its sole existence was to be a 3 series fighter, and there was no real drive to offer anything unique or refreshing about the experience than to post magazine numbers that beat a 3 series.

>BMW M// series
>40+ years of engineering and development

>Cadillac V//
>Decided to compete with BMW a little over 10 years ago
>Already kicking their ass

Thats all well and good, I just wish Cadillac marketed it in a different way in addition to its performance offering.

Id like to think of the ATS as a stand alone car, not juxtaposed against a 3er in such a way that makes it also seem like the 3er is already the car to beat.

I dont know if that makes sense.

Yeah, sure. I've thought about the coupes but I despise that they have backseats that might as well not be there for how useful they are. That, and the ATS is significantly lighter than any muscle car.

not guy youre talking to, but ive never thought of it like this, and actually agree

meant for

So what the fuck do you want Cadillac to do? Just because there is a 3 series Cadillac can't make a compact luxury car? You want Cadillac to stop improving their chassis and engines because they compete with M cars? This makes no sense. The ATS allowed the CTS to become a bigger car.

it's a great car especially for the money. Really is.

Source: Someone who ACTUALLY drives and owns a car on Veeky Forums

*gasp

Ok you clearly dont get it, i am criticizing marketing strategy not the car, its performance, or its innovation.

You probably are exactly the type of person the strategy of the marketing tried to reach, and that is why you dont understand my point.

But while the marketing reached you, and made sense to you, you arent actually buying the car are you?

The image of the ATS should stand on its own, but it never really has. Its image is in relation to and dependent on the 3er, which is a mistake in my opinion.

Most of what the marketing did while trying to show everyone how good it performed, ironically, was help reinforce the flawed idea that the 3 series is the current industry standard in the segment.

In other words, the marketing strategy helped legitimize the image of the 3er instead of upset it.

There are some used ATS going in my area for $16-18k right now, really tempted to get one.

>how are we supposed to drift like our Japanese lords and saviors did in the 90s without affordable rear wheel drive power

buy a second hand car? see used FR-S, 350z/370z

upgrade the internals on the FR-S obviously because it makes dogshit for power.

there's nothing inherently wrong with it except the fact that as a luxury american car you can certainly get something from japan or german for the same price or less, that's better in every measurable way. and many harder to measure ways. there's a reason you probably are seeing a comparatively small amount of information on it.