That'll be $35,999 plus tip

>that'll be $35,999 plus tip

never known this feel because i buy harbor freight and flea market tools
if its one of those things you dont cheap out on, its makita (even though harbor freight replaces your shit when it breaks)

Top: Everyday
Bottom: Christmas

Are Snap-On tools really that expensive? I've bought a couple thus far and it's honestly not bad at all especially considering my tools will last until the universe implodes on itself.

>mfw no truck brands in my box, yet still manage to tighten and loosen bolts.

Look at the price for a good set of sockets and add a zero to that price. Add two zero's if you're looking at a tool box.

Didn't Snap-On or Marco get bought out by Ingersoll?

*Matco

Try over $1000 for a set of spanners. But their warranty program is fantastic and they make a lot of niche tools that are hard to find else where.

are you nuts? YES.

They're expensive to the point of ridiculousness.

They make good tools, sure, but most of the time they're simply not worth the fairly insane price they ask. When I was a tech I had some snap on shit, but there' just no way you can justify the price of most of their shit with the benefit you get out of them.

Example. I got a 3/4 drive socket set from harbor freight for $30. A snap on set would have been $550. I could break 10 sets of the hf junk, and still not justify the snap on price.

the HF set held up to about 5 years of professional use too behind a 600 ft/lb gun, and I still use them at home, never had a problem.

Is the snap on set, better quality and stronger and all that? Sure....does it work any better, in practice, than the HF set? No. So naturally, it isn't worth almost 20x the price to me.

Some things they make are worth it, like my gear puller set was like $500 but it's the only gear puller I ever owned that didn't fall apart after three or four uses. But you always got to seriously study if the price is worth it before you buy from them, 90% of the time it isn't.

Part of the price of snap-on tools is quality control. HF tools have poor/non-existent QC, to the point that while you're socket set held up fine I could go buy the same thing right now and the sockets could shatter the first time I stick them on an impact. Further more HF "impact" sockets are actually just CR-V steel which is basically as bad as using chrome coated sockets on an impact gun. That said I don't by snap-on, I prefer "industrial" brands like PROTO. Sunnex has been good too.

Harbor Freight has pretty much the same warranty except they're not cunts about honoring it.

>want to buy 2 2 inch drawers to replace my 4 inch top drawer
>somehow the drawers are going to cost more than the entire box

The price isn't that ridiculous if you're a professional mechanic using them every day to make a living. HF tools don't handle those type of conditions and abuse too well.

Snap on is overkill for the average home mechanic.

Heres the thing.
If you use your tools for commercial use, ie working in a shop fucking go ahead and buy the snap on stuff.
You might get two to three uses out of harbor freight shit at the maximum.
I bought a fucking bubble flare tool for brake lines once from harbor freight, the thing literally disintegrated in my vice when I was tightening the ears on it.
Harbor freight is straight garbage.

I've known a few people, besides myself, who used HF tools professionally, none of them had problems.

It's pretty rare that you break any tool on the job, losing tools is always the big concern, and no warrenty covers a lost tool.

That's another problem I have with snap on, their warranty is great in theory, but it all comes down to how willing your local snap on guy is about warrantying shit. Mine would do it, but he'd act like a total dick and try to passive aggressively talk you out of doing it all the time, blaming you for breaking the thing. You'd get your tool replaced if you could stand putting up with his shit for half an hour. I eventually just started going to a snap on guy from a neighboring town to get my shit replaced, and he had no problem with it.

>He actually bought a $40,000 toolbox

Some of their specialty tools are shit because they're literally only designed to be used once. All of their regular hand tools (with just a few notable exceptions) will last halfway to forever as long as you don't pry on your screwdrivers and hammer on your sockets.

>The price isn't that ridiculous if you're a professional mechanic using them every day to make a living

Uh...yeah it is. You know how much techs make? It's not a lot.

>HF tools don't handle those type of conditions and abuse too well.

Some do, some don't. Their sockets do.

>You might get two to three uses out of harbor freight shit at the maximum.

I've gotten years of professional and personal use out of my hf sockets.

>I bought a fucking bubble flare tool for brake lines once from harbor freight

Funny thing about flare tools, is most people don't actually know how to use them, and end up destroying them. I had someone destroy my snap on flare set because he didn't read the directions or listen to me.

>Harbor freight is straight garbage

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

Like snap on is worth it sometimes, a lot of times it isn't. Sure, they're tools are great, but are they worth the cost? Not usually.

Most techs you'll see who got the snap on box, and full tool set are 10s of thousands of dollars in debt, and if they ever loose their job, all that shit is getting repo'd.

My tools were never the greatest, but they got the job done, and I actually owned all mine.

I've been using stanley and gear wrench for years with out any issue. The only snap on stuff i've got is thing that are difficult to find elsewhere.

I work as a tech. I make good money doing flat rate. Most of my tools are snap on, yet I don't owe them a dime. It's really not hard to afford if you're a decent tech.

If you don't have any school loans, rent, car insurance, health insurance, food, clothes, ect.
Yeah if I lived with my parents my 44k/year tech job would pay for all the snap on tools I'd ever want but in the real world it makes no damn sense half the time.

I enjoy snapons ratchets and their screw drivers are really good on phillips screws for whatever reason.
But the 600$ air gun from snapon that's half as good as my 250$ IR gun is down right laughable.

Then you're spending a LOT of your income on snap on.

If you don't mind paying a lot of money to be able to work...then cool.

If you're only making 44k a year I understand buying cheap tools, but if you are flat rate and that's all you can manage it's probably a good thing you don't have much money invested in the trade.

I'm 5 months into flat rate and it's the winter.
I've got 3 ASE certs.
Takes more than zero time to make good money in this field.

44k a year, where i live, is very good money for a tech, flat rate or no flat rate. If you say you're making more than that, I'm instantly skeptical.

Most make at least 10k lower than that.

being a tech is sort of a young person's job. At some point, a lot sort of realize, the entire point of going to a job is making money that you can apply elsewhere in your life. It might be cool to be 20 with a full snap on box and tools, and nothing else, but try doing it when you're 35 and have kids and a house payment, etc...

I'm 30 with 12 years in the trade. I guess location makes a huge difference in this discussion. Up here in Canada the government sets a minimum hourly wage for the trade. And only the bottom of the barrel guys make the minimum. And if you can beat the labor times you can make a killing.

>roommate used to work at a shop
>still making payments to snap on
>$120/week
>only $80/week was going towards his account
>snap on guy was pocketing $40/week

Tool truck guys can be shady motherfuckers, that's for sure. Snap on was generally the most trustworthy for me, but even a few of them were cheating pricks. One used to get damaged boxes and sell them full price, he'd deliver them to the shops when the techs were off that day or something, so they wouldn't notice there was a huge dent in int, then if they complained he'd just say they must have damaged it themselves.

is there a base wage that you're paid each week if no work comes in? I used to be a flat rate tech and there were weeks, usually during the winter, where nothing but 0.3hr oil changes and 0.2hr warranty bullshit were coming in the door and their owners weren't buying jack shit. Needless to say gas to/from work cost me more than I got paid during those pay periods.

Some places do base pay, some don't.

Most don't, and work pretty much exactly the way you describe.

I had the opposite experience. The Matco guy that came to my last shop was the coolest tool guy ever but I've yet to meet a Snap-On rep that wasn't a smug piece of shit.

>snap-off
too heavy, not a joy to work with for many hours

If I have no work I can keep myself busy doing cleanup or just trying to be helpful. I get $18/h as long as I stay busy and $36/h for billable hours

>Look through snap-on catalog, laugh at prices
>Spend that money instead buying a new shitbox

That's good, it's nice when a shop doesn't leave it's guys to starve when work slows down.

Not a professional mechanic
All my tools are Craftsman
Feels good desu

Stearlership I used to work had a guarantee, they got rid of it though.

Nothing beats sitting around making no money.

My poorfag tools are better, they're MasterCraft

I'd switch up memes but then stuff wouldn't match. I think if I started from nothing today I'd go all Kobalt

I have a small Kobalt Ratchet set I bought over ten years ago
Ratchet still works but there's putting in the sockets
Don't they still have lifetime warranty?

Oh man, last shop I worked at the service manager would walk around when it was slow going "got time to lean got time to clean" then he would chuckle and go back to his climate controlled office. Mind you this was a flat rate only shop, no pay for anything else. Fuck that shop, everyone in the service dept was making bank from getting a percentage of parts sales and there were bonuses for hitting a certain amount of general sales each month, EXCEPT THE MECHANICS WERE EXCLUDED FROM ALL OF THAT. Further more the service advisers would give shit away for free "to build trust with the customer" but take it out of the mechanics backside by cutting the labor hours. Never mind though I'm just ranting.

Meh, I'll take my Craftsman over Kobalt. Kobalt tools just feel cheap in the hand.

I feel you, craftsman is timeless design. I'm concerned about Sears going under though

7 years in the field, have a decent Snap On Classic78 box with a hutch full of Snap On tools any MAC, Matco, Cornwell Etc. Pay 26$ a week.

Just need to buy tools when you actually need them and not go over board.

That being said I never had any problems with my Snap on dealer. I just go to the one guy I've delt with from the start in my hometown, however the Guy at my shop is a total fag and I never buy from him.

It boils down to who your dealer is and if you're getting jewed on tools.

$600 Snap on impact? I have a MG725 I got for $360 new off the truck in 2009 and it still is ripping shit.

Some lube tech at my shop got jewed into the same gun with over $600.

I paid less than that for my Electric Impact from my other guy with batteries, charger, and tool bag.

Yeah, most snap on guys are smug assholes, whether or not they're trustworthy, but most you can at least depend on and not screw you over

Other tool truck guys are a mixed bag. I never had luck with mac guys. I had like two matco guys who were drug addicts or something, show up like once every six months and look haggard, looking shady as fuck.

That's pretty much how it works at any shop. service writers give discounts all the time, at mechanics expense. I remember one used to tell me, "But....we can't charge them THAT much!" like...motherfucker, that's what it costs! Money obviously didn't come out of their pocket, so they didn't care.

If you're smart, you'll wise up at some point and realize being a mechanic is a really shitty job, though, and get into something better.

I wouldn't take either these days. Craftsman used to be good, is complete overpriced garbage now. Kobalt is cheap, but I've had more than a few tools break the first time I used them.

I buy snap on only from 1 guy I known for years, yet at my Shop the Mac tool guy is by far the more cool and non-douche tool truck available at my work.

>tipping the tool guy

Nobody does this not even in America.

New snap on air tools are good i guess, though expensive as fuck. I'm betting top of the line IR tools are just as good for much less.

Back in the day Snap On used to sell these total garbage quality Blue Point tools for air tools, which were basic made in some asian hellhole sweat shop brands that they'd slap a snap on price on.

sure they do.

ever check the interest on your tool truck account?

>If you're smart, you'll wise up at some point and realize being a mechanic is a really shitty job, though, and get into something better.

That's what I did. The older guys were non-stop in telling me to get out while I could, guess you could say they red-pilled me on the realities of the field.

Apparently the Snap On guys just take 33% of your payment as a tip, without telling you.

Wouldn't be surprised Snap On guys are smug pieces of shit

Fleet work is fucking gravy. I know guys knocking down close to 100k for fleet management. There aren't many careers where that level of pay is available without a college degree and especially not something that is somewhat enjoyable.

I won't ever buy snap-on tools because of their shit business model.

It's basically Mary fucking Kay for men.

>It's basically Mary fucking Kay for men.

What does that even mean?

you are completely right, A majority of my tools are snapon, matco, and cornwell but you will never see me with a snapon air tool, those things are complete garbage that shits the bed within a year even when you take care of them.

That's a commission, not a tip. There's a difference. Ask your tax agent.

My last job as a tech was for fleet management, but I didn't make anything close to 100k, or know anyone who did.

Ours was a rental fleet, my main job was noting damage to vehicles and making customers pay for them. Tiny screw in our tires? Looks like you just bought us a new one!

Tiny dent in the box panel? Well Me and another guy will take all day to unrivet the panel and rivet a new one in place, just to charge you for it.

If I was making 100k for that, I'd still be doing it, but that was one job where I finally though: what the fuck am I doing with my life?

Do any of you tip your snap on dude?

I tell him to fuck off and take his $400 1/4" drive breaker bars with him. Does that count?

No, commission is paid by the employer. A tip is paid by the customer. If the customer pays $120 towards a bill and you pocket $40, that's either a tip, or stealing. If a customer pays $120 towards a bill, you put it all towards the bill, and your boss gives you $40 for collecting it, that would be a commission.

that's why if you do buy snap on, for the love of fucking god, don't charge it up on the tool truck account.

The assholes I know with the 20 or 30k tool truck bill didn't even have a clue what was ever going on with it, they'd just throw a hundred or two a week at the snap on man and never think of it. If I was them I'd want an itemized fucking report every damn week with interest and where it's all going, all that. Of course I wouldn't be dumb enough to put myself 30k in debt just so I could do my job, but w/e.

IF YOU HAVE TO BUY YOUR OWN TOOLS THAT ARNT SKREW DRIVERS OR A HAMMER YOU ARE EITHER IN THE WRONG TRADE OR YOU ARE GETTING ROYALLY FUCKED BY YOUR BOSS

ANY MONEY YOU SPEND ON TOOLS YOU NEED FOR WORK CAN BE ITEMIZED AND DEDUCTED WHEN FILING YOUR TAXES MEANING THAT HERE IN THE USA YOU WILL BE REIMBURSED FOR ANY MONEY YOU SPEND ON SHIT FOR WORK

ANY GOOD EMPLOYER WILL BUY YOUR TOOLS FOR YOU

ANYONE WHO MAKES YOU BUY YOUR OWN TOOLS DOESNT TRUST OR BELIEVE IN YOUR ABILITIES AS A WORKER

That's a tip for anyone who buys from them. I have a few snap-on tools but some people just go nuts it's so fucking expensive

You generally can't write off tool purchases unless they're more than your standard deduction. Most techs just throw it all on the snap on account anyway, and have no idea how much they paid.

Almost no employer will pay for tech's tools btw. My one employer gave us a $0.25 an hour tool allowance, and thought they were generous for doing that.

That's not how tax breaks work. You get reimbursed for the tax you paid on them, not for the total cost.

but they don't have bosses slim it's a franchise if snap-on is anything like matco the franchisee pays snap-on for the tools if they even buy them from snap-on and does whatever the franchisee wants with the product

Oh, so a business model that breeds corruption and attracts crooks?

i can only assume you aren't a regular here on Veeky Forums

The concept is still the same. A tip comes directly out of the customers payment. A commission is paid by the company, it's not charged to the customer.

I should have specified agriculture fleet work although I believe ups and FedEx pay their guys pretty well too.

People don't mind paying somebody to fix a piece of equipment that makes them money.

BERNY 2021!!!

SOCIALIZE TOOLS MOTHERFUCKERS!

Funny thing about fedex: apparently yeah they pay their techs well. But I guess their techs have a reputation for being bad, taking way too long, and just being lazy fucks in general. Because I worked at a place and we would work on all the fedex owner operator trucks, because none of the dicks who actually owned their trucks wanted the fedex techs to touch their stuff.

Are they union? That would explain why they are lazy and bad.

>$293

Yeah, they are.

I actually tried to get hired there too. In the interview i was like, "Listen, I work on all these trucks all the time anyway, that one's is bill's, that's fat fred's, that's timmy one ball's, why don't you just hire me, as they want me working on them anyway, and I make more money and we all win.

They never even gave me a call back.

That's a markup, not a tip or a commission. That's how businesses make profits.

Doesn't work like that when your a franchisee

Fuck unionized jobs, I applied to a factory that was unionized and nailed the interview only never to get called back, fucking sekrit club more than this fucking place for sure

I get snap on tools for half off cause I'm a student in my colleges automotive tech program and they're still expensive as fuck. Fuck snap on

I've never actually gotten a call back from anywhere, ever. Every job I've gotten I was a shoo-in and only sent in a resume as a formality.

Fucking hate the mg725 but love this guy

No, a markup is on the price of the tool.
Dealer gets tool for $60, price to customer is $100. That's a markup, and it's invisible to the consumer. It's entirely different from what's being discussed here.

Customer paying $100 towards that same tool, and tool truck guy pocketing $40, putting $60 towards account is either a tip, or theft. You cannot define that as markup.

That's how it works regardless of whether or not you're a franchise. A Mcdonalds franchise doesn't charge you $1.59 for a double cheeseburger then throw on an extra $10 commission to pay the employee. The overhead to pay the employee, building lease, electricity, and water comes out of company funds and is figured into the sales price of the item.

If you list something for sale for $100 that you paid $40 for, and someone buys it for $100, then that transaction is complete. The $60 you made covers your profit and overhead operating costs. If it doesn't, then you go out of business. You don't pocket all of the money and then tell them they still owe you $40 for profit/overhead after the fact.

I only use Snap-on ratchets and screwdrivers. Once you use them, you'll see how they are worth every penny.

Now, that said, I can't afford them off of the truck. I buy mine second hand from CL, Facebook, or eBay. I've saved thousands like that. Everything you see here I have gotten for about $300. At those prices, there's no excuse to suffer with Horror Fraught or Crapsman.

Business buys material at $1750, marks it up to $2000.
Business pays out $1500 in labor, charges $2000.
Business adds in another $1000 for profit and overhead.
Customer gets bill for $5000, and pays $5000.
All employees are paid, and company made $1750 to cover overhead and profit.

That's how a company makes money.

Business buys product for $3500
Customer gets bill for $5000, and pays $5000.
Business and/or franchise individual made $1500 to cover overhead and profit.
Customer gets another bill for $1500, because markup?
Please explain this

Snap on refused to send the paperwork to the college I went to, I guess because it was a big program and they didn't want to actually lose the money.

We were constantly bitching about that actually, but snap on just totally stonewalled our school.

back when ebay was kicking, I used to do that too, I'd even buy broke snap on stuff and just warranty it with the snap on guy.

he bitched a lot at me for doing that, but he still did it, so fuck him.

You've never heard of Mary Kay? It's a pyramid scheme (sue me Mary) company selling cosmetics.

>Customer paying $100 towards that same tool, and tool truck guy pocketing $40, putting $60 towards account is either a tip, or theft.
Oh, yeah, that's theft. Tips are voluntary.

>bragging you spent $300 for that pile of used dog shit

dude, do you know how many tools $300 would buy at a hardware store?

>too poor to even afford used Snap-on

my nigga. Use that Air Hammer to replace leaf spring bushings on Toyota Tacoma Recalls all day every day. most guys need to press them out.

I always just use a torch with a pretty small flame, and just zap a line through spring bushings like that. Bushing material melts way easier than spring material, doesn't take much heat. Then you can even pop them out with a screwdriver after that.

I was wondering how much bushings could take heat, I powdercoated some shock bodies with the bushings in yesterday (400 degrees), they smelled a little weird but seem to be in good shape, we'll see if they wear prematurely

>dad's friend was boomer who died
>mechanic who bought mostly snap on when younger
>sockets, ratchets, wrenches, tool box, impact
>got him for free in will

Pretty fucking quality tools but I would never buy them

Friendly reminder that if you don't use Harbor Freight sockets, Gearwrench ratchets, Ingersoll Rand air tools, and Metabo power tools, you may well be mentally retarded.