/srg/ - speedrunning general

speedrun.com
speedrunslive.com

lol!

Reminder to report and ignore shitposting.

Bounceyboy is a better SM64 speedrunner than Squid.

What are their PBs? They speak for themselves.

Bounceyboy's pb is 2:02. What's squids?

I'm asking you. Are you retarded?

I can't find Squid's pb anywhere. I'm assuming he must not have one. Thus, bounceyboy is better.

Squid is a God Gamer, Bounceybald has nothing on him.

Then why would you make this claim? Faggot.

Because it is fascinating info!

I did find one Squid pb, but it's in a category that includes less than half of the game.

This makes Bounceyboy objectively better at SM64.

You mean you knew that all along? It's funny because BounceyBoy also runs that category with a time that is minutes slower, so now we have an actual comparison, you have your final outcome. Wrong again!

I'm talking about who is better at SM64, not who is better at less than half of SM64.

Things are heating up in the Super Mario 64 fandom

Who /papermario/ here?

I am. But I don't know enough about it to talk about it at length, and I don't speedrun it either. I just enjoy watching other people speedrun it

you can't speedrun JRPGs

Fuck off faggot. I bet you don't even speedrun.

Why did you reply like that to obvious bait?

No, you moron, you are talking about who is better at the 120 star category, which is obviously BounceyBoy, seeing as Squid doesn't even run it. In 70 star it is Squid who is better.

Getting an extremely sloppy 120 time doesn't instantly put you above every 70 star player, especially if that persons 70 star time is worse than the comparison.

Because I can faggot. Tired of newfags in these generals who don't even speedrun.

>you are talking about who is better at the 120 star category
Aka the whole game.
>In 70 star it is Squid who is better.
Yes, squid has grinded less than half the game more than bboy and has achieved a slightly less awful time.
>Getting an extremely sloppy 120 time doesn't instantly put you above every 70 star player
2:02 in 120 star is harder to get than 54 in 70 star.

When will Squid admit that 70 star is a joke category that only becomes hard when you're going for a 48 or better?

name one 70 star main who has an even remotely decent 120 star time.

grindxmonkey

Bounceyboy is shit. Apollo exposed him as a snowflake with thin skin.

Cosmo, if you're reading this, please end it already so this board can get back to trannyposting.

2:02 in 120 is babies first run with no major deaths. They both do 70, BounceyBoy has the worst time. You wanted a comparison, there you go.

Why don't you ask him?

If they are considered a 70 star main then they are not going to have a good 120 star time. It is a shorter category, you do the 70 star stars in 120 but not vice versa, so what do you expect?

BounceyBoy has been known shit for a long time. He flip flops, he's only played a few Mario and Zelda games, whiny and passive aggressive. The fact that he has a hugbox is mindblowing, he knows nothing about speedrunning and is a blatent jew.

>getting a 2:02 in 120 star is more difficult than getting a 54 in 70 star
>2:02 is over 20 minutes slower than the record in 120
>54 is 6 minutes off the record in 70
>

>2:02 in 120 is babies first run with no major deaths.
What do you think a 54 is?
>54 is 6 minutes off the record in 70
What does that have to do with anything? 70 star is literally "waiting to go back into the painting: the category"

120 star is not only much longer, but has a much higher gameplay to downtime ratio.

The biggest hunk of bait I have ever seen.

>tfw a bounceybald stream monster got blown the fuck out

But everything in that post makes perfect sense.

>getting a 2:02 in 120 star is more difficult than getting a 54 in 70 star
120 is roughly 5x harder than 70 star, so your ratios check out.

You'd have to be pretty fucking dumb to think that 120 and 70 star have an identical skill gap between bad players and WR.

Autist

You've been blown out, BounceyBald nuthugger. You wanted a comparison between two players and were trying to act like BounceyBalds 120 runs trump all, but didn't think that they both also do 70, so we had a fair comparison, and BounceyBald falls short.

>making up random statistic and ratios to look like you are in the know

Stop posting.

bounceyboy

more like

gassinggoy

BounceyBoy coming into /srg/ to try and shit on our 70 star runners is pretty low. Especially when he has a worse time.

Anyone have anything to discuss that isn't sm64 related?

Cyberbots: Full Metal Madness

Whatever happened to that speed run drama podcast with the sperg sounding aussie.

Videos were just google hangouts. Cyber was on one.

retro was the guys name

cyber isnt epic enough anymore so it got canned

cyber is literally our girl though

>didn't think that they both also do 70, so we had a fair comparison, and BounceyBald falls short.
For that comparison to be fair you would need to factor in how much time each runner has put into 70 star attempts.

We're talking about who the better SM64 player is here, not how well each one has peformed down to the second of how long they've spent on the game. You started the comparison, bud, and you have a clear answer. Back to your hugbox.

who is the trihex of speedrunning?

I'm pretty confident that if bounceyboy spent more than a week on 70 star he'd cake a 54-53, but he's been running pretty much only 120 star since the start.

Running 120 star exponentially increases your rate of improvement at 70 star. 70 star is stagnation incarnate.

He has spent more than a week on it, nuthugger. He even does runs of it now, when he doesn't have time for 120. If 120 helps you improve so much then surely he would have a better 70 time by now. It's all well and good saying 'h-he would have a better time if he tried!!' but that doesn't actually mean anything, it's just nuthugging gibberish.

You wanted your comparison and you got it. You were incorrect, as always. You should keep your mouth shut when it comes to speedrunning, the only thing you're good at is suckling BounceyBalls.

>doing something different helps you improve
it doesn't work like that

There's no point arguing with this newboi BounceyBald nuthugger. He's been here a few weeks and acts like he is a professional on SM64 after only watching BounceyBoy and a little bit of Cheese. He is almost always wrong and sucks the ever living hell out of Bouncey's Bald Balls.

>He has spent more than a week on it, nuthugger.
Not since he switched to N64 he hasn't.
>If 120 helps you improve so much then surely he would have a better 70 time by now.
For that to happen he would have to do attempts, though. He did do some attempts one day a few weeks ago and beat his VC pb by 2 minutes.

Soo, when did /srg/ become so shit?

Yes he has, I have seen it myself.

He also hasn't improved his 70 PB in a very long time, despite the attempts. He can't even improve his piss easy 120 time. By your logic he should be 'caking' a 53 after playing the skill-improving 120 full game category, but it's not quite working out like that.

>Soo

It's only new to you, reddit

>Yes he has, I have seen it myself.
You've seen him do a week's worth of 70 star attempts since he switched to N64?

Bullshit. You don't get to just make things up and have them magically be true.

>reddit meme
Upboated!
Now go back to ecelebposting

Not a weeks worth, no one plays for 'a week'. He has done attempts though.

>You don't get to just make up things and have them magically be true
That is literally what you do everytme you post about other people but BounceyBald playing SM64

Nuthugger scum, you have been decimated.

ok reddit

Imagine nuthugging BounceyBoyy of all people. Clueless, doesn't even like video games and only thinks Mario and Zelda exist.

noone is nuthugging bounceyboy, he's obviously awful at the game too. just not quite as awful as squid.

Grav's approach with Doom 64 is incorrect. Being 11 minutes off SOB in a 53 minute run is not right.

It's fine if he has like 50 splits lol

That is never fine.

Hotline niggas be warned yo
XCOM niggas be warned yo

Cuz yalls done woked up a trill nigga frum his sleepz yo. Dumb ass niggas...

Cran comin

its a unique circumstance because the game has been innovated by about 7 or 8 minutes in the time between my last PB. 3 or 4 more of those minutes are just being better at the game too

Then why have you not finished out more runs to get that free PB by minutes? It will do you better than resetting over and over for perfection.

I would do exactly that if there was someone else to compete against. I finished a 48 minute time that i just basically pretend doesnt exist... because zelllooo got a 48 something and I wanted WR back.

When its just me, my goal is my goal and i can only achieve it using the specific set of strategies required for it. Using different strats for a worse time for a PB just to feel good (this doesn't even make me feel good) only makes it take longer to actually get my final time. Its just skipping the baby steps because the natural evolution of time in this game isn't very linear like other games where you can just change a couple tiny things. The difference between 46 to 44 and 44 to 42 and etc is an entirely different ammo route and a change of approach on at least two thirds of the 25 levels

okay but seriously we can all agree that sm64 is boring trash at this point right

like grow up

>I am an inconsistent grind monkey

well im inconsistent because i die, but my pace is almost identical every run which is nice

It's objectively the deepest speedgame.

lol jk anyone who thinks that is batshit retarded.

It is unironically the deepest speedgame.

Define "depth."

well that's a bold claim to make unsubstantiated.

You can't call game that is almost all grinding predifined movements deep. The only thing that requires improvisation in SM64 is random coin spreads and that always leads to autistic screeching, if it doesn't go 100% as planned.
Forbidden Memories is a deep game, because you need to come up with a strategy on the run and every second spent thinking counts against you.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Deep in the context of speedrunning means potential for optimization and skill ceiling. The movements aren't predefined. People keep finding ways to go faster, even without changing strats. The corners you can cut in SM64 are nearly limitless to the player.

Of course, this type of optimization depth isn't limited to SM64. Anyone who thinks that is stupid. There are all kinds of 3d games with a similar type of ceiling.

It's just that SM64 is competitive enough to have runners that really push it as far as they can. Most of the games that have a similar ceiling haven't been pushed as far because they don't have the brute force required to do so.

will titty skittles make me a better speedrunner

You mean WhiteAris finds a way to do it slightly more optimized and then Cheese copies the movement 100% and grinds it until he gets it exactly the way it is in WhiteAris's video unless a random coin is involved, in which case he will autistically screech at his TV.

This is absolutely not true. You obviously do not understand anything about SM64.

Get out.

>You mean WhiteAris finds a way to do it slightly more optimized and then Cheese copies the movement 100% and grinds it until he gets it exactly the way it is in WhiteAris's video
It's more like Cheese copies the strat and then improves Whitearis' time by seconds by optimizing the movement better, and then Toastrider improves Cheese's time by another several seconds by optimizing the movement better, and then Xiah improves Toast's time by seconds by optimizing the movement better, and then the human theory TAS optimizes it by seconds again and it still isn't perfectly optimized because it's a deep game.

>This is absolutely not true.
Explain to me how it isn't true.

You can run SM64 at a top 5 level without putting any thought into what you are doing just from copying strats and grinding. Fact! Can't do that with Forbidden Memories.

Because SM64 has so many different movement options and ways of interacting with the environment, optimally rolling out of dives, using different frame wallkicks to your advantage, keeping speed with speed kicks etc. No other 3D game can compete.

>top 5

You have absolutely no idea how much practice and runs you would need to do to play at that level. No idea.

>Because SM64 has so many different movement options and ways of interacting with the environment
This isn't exclusive to SM64 at all though lol. This is like what someone who only runs SM64 would say.

It isn't, no. But the level of depth is.

>sm64 is the only game with lots of tech and movement options
holy fucking shit imagine being this stupid

D-dayum this nigga went in

No other game has the depth that SM64 does.

Rekt

Sure thing buddy, keep on asserting that without substantiating it in any way. We're all taking you very seriously.

Everyone who knows anything about SM64 knows it is true. I don't need to convince mad stream monsters that their meme game they ran a few times isn't as deep as SM64.

I know more about SM64 than you do and I happen to know it isn't true. If you don't care what we think, why are you even here talking to us?

>I know more about SM64 than you do
That is incorrect, stream monster.

>why are you even here talking to us?
Why are you even here crying about playing inferior speedgames?

>That is incorrect, stream monster.
prove it. ask me anything about the game.