What is Veeky Forums's general opinion on manuals?

What is Veeky Forums's general opinion on manuals?

whats that?

they're gay

rather have an automatique for driving daily, merci beaucoup

A dying technology that is both "needless" at this point while still going to be sorely missed

Veeky Forums's opinion: It's a racecar!!!

Opinion of the industry and market: It's the budget option that became a niche for entusiasts.

i think its fun and it let me get a car for shit tons cheaper than it was worth because previous owner went hurr MUH options and then slapped a 5 speed manual in it, meaning when he traded it in the car sat for months with no interest

They're becoming obsolete in favor for automatic transmission. Thank fuck for that too. It's time for such a shitty redundant transmission to go already as it's 1000x inferior than automatic. Now watch as Manufags sperg over this.

It's fun and engaging but ill suited to the appliance cars of today. While I hope it remains an option in the future for sportier models I kinda expect it'll be phased out for DCT relatively soon.

There used to be a consensus on here 5+ years ago, but now lots of ppl are pussy-assed automatic drivers who try justifying it by saying manuals are bad / slow / annoying / difficult / whatever.

I've had 5 cars, including an SUV, and they've all been manual. I'll probably never have an automatic as long as I am physically able to drive a manual. I'm getting in my upper-20's and marriage still seems like something I never want to do so I probably won't be forced into getting an auto "family car" ever so yeah.

I just can't imagine wanting an automatic. And yes, I've lived in large, hilly cities with long commutes before and it's never bothered me - probably because I'm not a lazy fatass neckbeard and I actually like driving.

the best way along with "opinion on brz" to weed out all busriders and benchracers from Veeky Forums
Seriously, just ask those questions, ban everyone who says negative things and Veeky Forums will be filled with true enthusiasts.

Strange and foreign, and therefore scary.

>worthless cumstain that has nothing going in his life tries to feel superior because he uses outdated equipment
lmao

ur a retard m8

i drive a manual in my fun stuff and my daily. but my pickup truck that i use for towing is automatic as fuck.

fuck manual in suvs and trucks

This

Fun but slow

I have a mechanical engineering degree and a computer science degree. Next thing, you anons will be telling me that stability control is good because not having it is "outdated." Little do you know I worked as a quality engineer in a plant that makes ABS / traction control / stability control units and I know exactly how devious those fucking devices are. M/T is "outdated" because of economic reasons - most ppl don't have fun driving and just want auto.

Manual trucks are way more fun though... Also:
>Implying automatics are somehow "better" at towing.

but they are m8

no one wants to haul a trailer up a fucking mountain pass in a manual

this is how I picture you when you say manuals are engaging and makes you one with the car

> doesn't know how to drive a manual properly.
> posts a pic of testicles on a blue board.

You're a classy guy, user.

clearly he is wrong because that isnt dragon dick like this board culture dictates it should be

Sure, automatics are arguably better in almost every way now, but I don't care. A manual just provides a much better driving experience, no matter what the car is.
>but what about traffic???
Don't be a bitch

exactly, how else are you supposed to text and eat while driving??

Sure is "dead" in this thread

but I'm sure over half of you have no ideas who dead even was

If you're talking about Dual clutch, yes manual is inferior, but so are other automatic transmissions

Spot on, expect my GTR will have to be autotragic because it's the only option :(

For me personally they're the only way to go. It's just a preference thing at this point. If you're wanting to be a red light racer or you have a long stop and go commute you'll probably be happier with an automatic but for me manual is just fine. Actually waiting on the mail dude to bring a new sparco knob right now. Should be here Wednesday and I can't fucking wait. I love projects on or for my shitbox. Even the small ones.

I love manual trucks, but it is almost impossible to find the one i want for good price. I am now stuck with automatic truck.

>haul a trailer up a fucking mountain pass in a manual

I don't want to have to buy the A/T towing package and worry about overheating the tranny. I'll take the stickshift, thanks.

Gay as fuck. Slower than autos. Overall retarded.

If you are a poor civic boy, then u love it. Otherwise u drive an auto like a real man.

I find them fun and engaging.

kek'd
This has to be bait

Truthpost

>probably because I'm not a lazy fatass neckbeard
hey i'm a lazy fatass neckbeard and i love manuals and driving you cunt

I'm sorry about your loss guys, hopefully one day you'll move on from your autotragic experience

>I worked as a quality engineer in a plant that makes ABS / traction control / stability control units and I know exactly how devious those fucking devices are.

Care to elaborate?

Meh.

What happened to him?

>putting a computer in charge of your car

Autocucks, not even once

This person knows what he's talking about. All that traction control shit has almost gotten me into accidents by making my car act in a certain way it shouldn't. I almost always turn it off except in rainy weather.

>hit some stones that fell off some truck when making turn.
>car thinks it's losing traction corrects my car into going straight
>fucking heading for a pole
It's like a passenger grabbing my fucking wheel when I'm driving.

W/O traction control my back end would have slipped a bit and I'd be merry on my way with a smile on my face. Instead I was just pissed off, and immediately turned traction control off.

It scares normalfags, especially the ones on Veeky Forums who will argue about it to still fit in on a car board while defending the appliance transmission

As an enthusiast I prefer driving manual daily no matter the condition. I acknowledge it's outdated tech and CVT transmissions nowadays are faster, but I frankly don't give a fuck. I'm not fixing to beat chad in his PDK Porsche at a stoplight. I drive manual for myself and the blissful experience it offers me.

>4

>putting an autist in control of your car

Don't even think about it. It's second nature to me ever since I learned to drive a car anyway.

t. non-american

t. Auto fag that can't drive manual

since we're talking about old Veeky Forums, does anyone remember that faggot Equinox?

Every bit of my stuff is manual shift, except for two vehicles, for two reasons:

- the vintage (one is a 1931 Model A Ford, another is a 1941 Fordor Super Deluxe)

-the preference (sports cars, durability in heavy trucks)

I do own two autos...they are strictly for long distance commuting (Lincoln Continental) or schlepping kids around (Honda Odyssey).

Each trans type has its place. I sure wouldn't want to have to shift gears in the Odyssey while trying to whack kids in the second row seats.

Manuals are for people that like cars and driving. autos are for people that have no point being here other than asking if they got ripped off when their mechanic charged them several hundred for changing their headlights

It's weird how manuals are a niche thing in America while everyone in Europe knows how to drive one and they're by far the most common cars on the road.

Maybe Europe is just too poor for fancy luxuries like automatic transmission.

Sure. Traction control, stability control, hill assist, etc are all built into your car's ABS module which uses magnet valves to control the pressure and flow of brake fluid to each caliper. The modules' ECUs are tuned so that this happens. The system thinks you're taking a corner too quickly or it detects slip on any wheel and it hits the brakes, forcing you to understeer which can totally be more dangerous than letting a wheel slip.

In the US all cars 2012+ must have ABS, traction control, and stability control as mandated by federal law. When that was announced, management in the plant I worked at went apeshit with glee. I got very sad. If you know how a car is supposed to handle, these systems will fuck with you hard.

BTW, when companies advertise their buzzword for stability control, please know that third-party manufacturers make and tune these systems, the car makers just request it then give it a fancy name.

Thanks for the explanation.

Since I'm an europoor student,I drive a car that has no "driver aids" whatsoever and I don't think that I'm missing out on much,but I was still wondering how can something that's supposed to help be devious

>In the US all cars 2012+ must have

Back to old cars or trucks. Law of unintended consequences bites the US in the ass again as they wonder why they can't get all the pigfat beaters off the road.