Geo tracker

I want a cheap 4wd car. I really like Tacomas, but I found the tracker...

>Cheap
>lightweight
>Reliable
>unique.
Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ThblWDgQydE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's an old car. If you don't know what that means then you probably should not consider buying one.
Interior space is pretty tight. For some time they were equiped with 3 speed AT which sucks devil's balls.
You will be able to get through snow easily but for serious offroad you'll have to spend great deal of money.
Also they are pretty bad on pavement and if you'll spin out of control you probably crash badly, the safety is obviously pretty lousy.

Hmm interesting...
So no a great commuter or every day car.

They've stood the test of time here. Which is saying a lot in this salty and rusty hellhole. there's still a lot of them left on the roads.

Thoughts on their overall daily road worthiness? They aren't very fast...

Merging onto highways is going to be stressful with the average minivan pushing 300hp, don't think about passing on the highway.

Dad has one with a 5 speed manual with 1.6 efi engine 2'' lift and 235\75R15 muds/ats

goes places even on well worn tyres

they good

What engine they put in them in usdm? Jdm Escudo equiped with 1,6 and 2.0 inline engines. They are sturdy af.

Japanese mmmm

You wont be going anywhere fast in one, but they are fun and super reliable. My little sister has a 92 and she loves it. Gets hreat gas mileage, does amazinv in all weather conditions, is zippy with the 5spd. The only problem so far is that they are kind of hard to work on being so small. If you go after one, look for rust. The rear part of the frame like to rot out, but my sisters has a very thick undercoating which looks facotry and has done a great job protecting it. Overall 8/10, would buy another.

They have 1.6 and later 1.8 Suzuki engines. They had 8v and 18v versions.

This.

I have a 97 little mountain goat that I use for offroading. I can do 70 on the highway ok, but at altitude (10,000+ feet) it won't go much over 45 uphill. Takes me pretty much anywhere, though. Reliable and easy to work on.

got a 94' a few months ago. here are the biggest issues for me

Rides TERRIBLE. The last owner cut the springs so it rode like an absolute piece of shit. No stock springs available anymore, so had to get $200 lowering springs that still ride like ass. Parts are hard to get.

Mine has manual steering so it's a pain in the ass to steer. It's scary trying to keep it in my own lane sometimes, since whenever you hit a good bump it tries to swerve into a ditch. Absolutely get power steering.

Geared pretty low of course. First gear is useless except on a steep hill, but would be good for pulling shit. On mostly flat ground I just start in 2nd, which gives me a pretty long starting gear which is actually nice for getting up to speed. In fifth gear you're going to be 4000 rpm at 65 mph. Interstate travel is not a good idea unless you want your engine to blow up.

why no interstate travel?

The only thing I've got to add is that one of my buddies in high school had one, and we took the thing through an automatic car wash with the top off and everything still worked afterword.

I had a 97 Vitara 1.6L , Geo trackers are super rare here, And it ran pretty good in city its kinda small and easy to park but in highways over 90 km/h was a a gas eater monster, 8-9 km/lt. As on off-roader, i keeped it stock, it was capable I tried it on sand, mud and some snow and it performed pretty well. The suzuki engine G16 its not too powerful but suerly its bulletproof, same as the Aisin 4x4 trans

I dont know but if you can look for the Chevrolet Tracker, same as the 3 door Grand Vitara, you can get the same thing in a more daily-friendly use, had better sound isolation, a little more space for things and a softer suspension.

I've been looking for one of these little gems too. I've heard they kind of drive like bricks on the highway.

How about this (Lada Niva) ?

Engine screams at 70+.

Wrong file

That is the Jimny/Samurai because of the leaf spring suspension, the Tracker/Vitara used Gas Shocks, so the highway driving is acceptable

ctrl+f jimny, thank god Veeky Forums isn't completely dead

This is what stupidity looks like. Look, dude, I had fun hooning with the 3.8L V6 in my mom's old Caravan when I was a teenager, but I've never had a problem getting up to highway speeds in the 80hp fuckbox I got myself stuck in. Nor do I have any problem passing.

I *can* do 90mph if it's flat. But the engine is near red line at that speed. Outside of high mountain passes, it's fine for highway driving.

I've got a Chevy tracker, the generation after these. Rides much better, optional V6 or 2.0 4. 2.0 is more than enough with the 5 speed manual. I like my car quite a lot, extremely reliable, good mileage, etc. The second gen is pretty boring looking when compared to the first, but its still possible to get a convertible 2 door if thats what you want. They just look mutated and retarded.

Buy it.
I can get a 95 ranger 4x for under a grand out here, GEOS have crazy ricer tax and people won't let a shit one go for under $5k.

>Jimny/Samurai because of the leaf spring suspension
>Tracker/Vitara used Gas Shocks
>leaf spring suspension
>Gas Shocks
Are you fucking retarded?

Owned 2
Look for the non-interference engine
you will not enjoy the sounds it makes on the highway at 5k rpm but it should be fine

fun and capable

If you find one a good marker of how the vehicle was cared for is if the battery holder is still there its a fragile part that goes missing

The intake tubes degrade and crack

Do you have a lift on that? Looks cute, I may buy one

2 inch spacers with longer shocks. Swapped the auto hubs for manuals also.

I really wish we had something like the Niva stateside. Older CJs are fine and all, but sometimes you want to care for a bare-bones mountain goat through its entire life cycle.

You clueless idiot, Niva is worst possible shitbox you can imagine.It rusts with the speed of light, transmission can't hold more than 160Nm, if you converse it to part time the rear differential will die after 7k miles, it's terribly noisy even if in perfect condition, spare tire under the hood will be glad to come inside and kill you in frontal accident, overall it's unreliable piece of soviet engineering from the 70s.
youtube.com/watch?v=ThblWDgQydE
People in Russia buy them dirt cheap and fix them with wire and duct tape because they have no money fro new parts and overall dont see a reason to spend money on this piece of crap.

Manual steering has nothing to do with swerving after hitting a pothole.

It either has a bad wheel bearing or loose steering linkages.

Geo Tracker a best

prove me wrong