I want a Porsche 911. I can afford the Carerra S but the Turbo S is so tempting. Is the turbo s really worth it...

I want a Porsche 911. I can afford the Carerra S but the Turbo S is so tempting. Is the turbo s really worth it? Could I just mod a normal Carerra?

Should I just shut the fuck up and get a GTR?

Other urls found in this thread:

carthrottle.com/post/an-idiots-guide-to-understanding-the-porsche-911-range/
reddit.com/r/Porsche/comments/3w89qb/whats_the_difference_between_911_carrera_s/
youtube.com/watch?v=nuVUOB6D6-w
youtube.com/watch?v=94T9zlIv480
youtube.com/watch?v=YpIHHV2u3Ro
youtube.com/watch?v=CHFu-2irrig
youtube.com/watch?v=ojrZfbNjQDY
porsche.com/all/comparemodels/Compare.aspx?pool=usa&language=none&model1=991110_480&model2=991430_250&model3=&compTab=0
jalopnik.com/the-2017-porsche-911-gts-is-a-supercar-slaying-parts-bi-1792005622
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You should just shut the fuck up and get a GTR.

Depends, what do you want to use it for?

If you just want to park on the road and look cool and impress girls in high school, and pay out the ass for repairs, buy a GTR.

If you want to drive along mountain roads and enjoy the feeling of clean crisp gear changes and heel-toe braking, buy a Carrera S

If you want to drive around town and take off fast from stoplights, buy a Turbo S.

>Could I just mod a normal Carerra?
of course. do some research on rennlist.

this.

I want a brilliant driving machine that doesn't attract too much attention, but doesn't fly under the radar. Something that corners well and has decent acceleration. I have an FRS that I daily drive so this car is mainly a toy. I was considering an M3/M4, as well. I've always loved Porsche but if I got one, I'd really want the full on turbo and I'd have to stretch to afford that. The GTR does everything I want and I love it, but it doesn't have that spark that Porsche has.

I'm a bit all over the place.

You want a Carrera S. It is among the best driving machines ever produced. Honestly the Turbo is for Arabs and people who like to do 160 mph on public roads.

just buy a previous gen turbo and boost it faggot

Would you care to elaborate just a bit?

I love Porsche but I haven't been able to find much information about the differences between the Carerra and the Turbo. Im concerned about the handling. I'm sure the Carerra will be fine but is the turbo on another level? Does the turbo have anything that I couldn't do with an aftermarket kit and a build with the Carerra?

the GTR attracts the most attention. stay the hell away from it.

Even more than a damn 911? I assumed the GTR would be seen as a 370z with a body kit or something by everyone except boy racing fags.

Aftermarket parts for Porsche are so expensive that you're always better off buying the trim level above.

Friend of mine has a 911 Turbo pushing 500hp+ with just an exhaust and ECU flash.

On second thought, I should have known, my FRS gets a fair bit of attention. Mainly people asking what it is and how fast is it?

I just say it's a Toyota and it's faster than I need.

It isn't fast...

But hey, I like driving twisty mountain passes and I don't need acceleration for that.

>I love Porsche but I haven't been able to find much information about the differences between the Carerra and the Turbo

You have the entire internet at your finger tips and you can't find any information?

you sound like an idiot so here are websites for idiots

carthrottle.com/post/an-idiots-guide-to-understanding-the-porsche-911-range/

reddit.com/r/Porsche/comments/3w89qb/whats_the_difference_between_911_carrera_s/

>choice between NA Porsche and Turbo porsche
N/A because if you're choosing Porsche you are because you like them as a brand better than the competition and if you like Porsche as a brand you recognize that their N/A engines are superior products compared to their turbo offerings

Used or New, what gen?

I like the looks of the turbo more. The price is just nuts.

Also just test drive both

I was thinking of buying a used 991 or 997.

I own a 2014 991 C2S. ama

I'm not an idiot, I just don't know TOO much about Porsche. I know I like them, I just don't know the tuning potential and the massive differences between the turbo and Carerra. I know the basic ones but you know how cars have slight changes that are never mentioned but cause issues. That's all.

Do NOT buy a 2012 991, they have panel melt, and gluing issues. The side door melts, and is $1200 to replace.

of course. when i say you'll attract attention in a GTR i mean youll attract teenaged boys/and young men 21 years old+ taking pics of your car and possibly following

while 911's are pretty conservative style wise and way more refined.

just look at this 911 turbo S. It makes 580hp 518 ft lb tq, its pretty much on that supercar status without being flashy at all. I mean yes its a Porsche but still no aggressive lines or crazy colors(thats saved for the GT3/GT3 RS which are track oriented)

read read read.

Rennlist is a great place to start. I dont know too much about Porsche and I can't afford one at the moment but I enjoy reading up on them so when I get into that position where I can buy one, I know what I'm doing.

Porsche is a Supercar for the man who wants people to know he's rich but isn't a cock about it (Lambo, Ferrari)

>everyone who talks about the turbo talks about its horsepower

its horsepower is literally its only good feature, aside from that it's just another 911

buy a carrera S if you actually enjoy driving

buy a turbo S if you want to film yourself doing 30-120mph pulls and post them on youtube because they're so cool

sorry guys, i love the Turbo but it has no other good points besides that engine.

well the 911 Turbo S and 918 Spyder are the only supercars in it's line up but Porsches are more refined sports cars if anything.

But... I want to do both

I know I was just using the Turbo S as an example. It's not my first choice at all if I had that type of money but still I was just saying that Porsches aren't flashy compared to other supercars and especially the GTR.

How many videos do you see of kids "carspotting" surround 911 turbo S'? Shit even GT3's with wild color's dont even get that type of attention. Only GTR's and Ferrari's and Lamborghini's etc

It's not really the HP, the low end torque is the biggest difference. It is lacking in my C2S.

OP watch these videos dude looks like a nerd but they are extremely informative

youtube.com/watch?v=nuVUOB6D6-w

youtube.com/watch?v=94T9zlIv480

youtube.com/watch?v=YpIHHV2u3Ro

youtube.com/watch?v=CHFu-2irrig

youtube.com/watch?v=ojrZfbNjQDY

Because 3.9 to 100km/h is slow or what?

The Turbo S is a fuckton more expensive. Its a lot faster too but its not like a Carrera S is going to have much competition on the road either.

The power steering in the Turbo is better than in the C2S, it's the same system but they cuck it in the base models.

porsche.com/all/comparemodels/Compare.aspx?pool=usa&language=none&model1=991110_480&model2=991430_250&model3=&compTab=0

Depends on what you want. If your goal is absolute fastest car on a track, 911 Turbo. If you want a 911 for 911 and you plan on driving through snow, 911 Turbo.

If you want a 911 and AWD/speed is not your greatest priority get the Carrera S.

If speed is not the only thing you care about but you want AWD and the most practical car the 2017 GTR is a good call. It's not perfect but front engine means the trunk is sizeable and you also get the back seats for extra cargo space. 2017 is comfortable too. It also has hydraulic steering, if you look at Chris Harris and Jethro Bovingdon reviews of the 2017 GTR they all say that it provides more feedback than the 991 Turbo.

Personally, I would say GT-R. There are problems with it but it's like 60k less than the turbo. With 60k you could put a ton of money into carbon fiber body panels, carbon ceramic brakes, etc to cut weight and you'd still be ahead.

I assume you have money since you're looking at two expensive cars. If you go with the GTR, parts can be very expensive. I'm not saying Porsche parts are cheap, but when compared to a GTR they are.

Just save up a little while longer and buy the turbo

Cayman

Thise stupid burger-bumpers at the rear...

kek

Another thing about the GTR is insurance. My C2S costs $1050 a year to insure, the quote I got for the GTR was $4200/yr.

If you're under 25 expect to get fucked hard. GT-Rs tend to attract shitty drivers.

Yes, my agent told me the GTR is the most expensive car to insure under $500K. If you are under 25, you are looking at close to $10K a year to insure a GTR.

the fuck man this can't be real. I know US bumpers of that time were retarded but that's too much to be real.

Lol yeah sure, the turbo is wider, has awd, a different block than any of the other models of 911 save the gt3 and cup cars, and considered the flagship 911.

Now if you just want to burn money you can buy a C4S, buy a metzger long block ($$$) and pick your turbo, or go full retard and turbo an old c2 but itwont last long.

Have you driven a 911? Why does it have to be a turbo?

I think you should buy a gtr.

heh

Can pretty much beat anything on the road

Lewd

?

Regardless, it's really hard to ignore the price differential.

If you're fine with paying for the Turbo and won't miss the extra money it's objectively the best car but the R35 is the more practical option.

Get a Carrera GTS.
The new ones come with turbos.

read this

jalopnik.com/the-2017-porsche-911-gts-is-a-supercar-slaying-parts-bi-1792005622

this

Porsches are for people just learning how to have money, and stupid people.

Which are you, user?

And here he is.

Veeky Forums's resident Porsche hater.

Thanks for not denying the truth :)

The prevalence of 911s in old-money enclaves seems to disagree with that assessment. They're usually old 911s but still.

Magnus' work is terrible. All of his ***mods*** are a slap in the face to vintage Porsches

whats great is just like an asshole, everyone also has an opinion.

There's nothing really to argue about. It's just going to be meaningless back n forth banter

>a different block than any of the other models of 911 save the gt3 and cup cars
I think this isn't the case anymore. The 997 GT3 RS 4.0 was the last Mezger-engined Porsche.

the eu double bumper is equally gross though

CTS-V

If you can afford a Turbo S, why would you not buy an R or GT3RS?

Not an expert but aren't the 911's in general quite reliable compared to the GTR ?

Also they don't need to get a complete service after each track day, while the GTR cost a lot to run. Insurance is also stupidly expensive like the other user said

So I say, carrera if you plan a long relationship with your car, GTR for hooning 1 year and be done with it.

911 R's are sold out and have been sold out before they were delivered.

as for GT3 RS' its also another car thats a bit hard to get but why the hell would he get that? Thats a track oriented sports car, not made for Daily Driving at all.

Im not sure if you are stupid or just ignorant.

in your position i would get a 997 GT3

not as comfy as a turbo s when it comes to daily driving

Not OP but i would def take a GT3 as well but i dont think thats what he's looking for.

OP stated in another post that he daily drives an FR-S and this car will be his toy.

word, that being said, its stupid hard to get a GT3 RS if you dont have connections or own a bunch of Porsches already

Only mod needed is changing the plastic shifter bushings because they're shitty

>wants a fun to drive car
>suggest 4300lb supercharged sedan

>big smokey burnouts aren't fun

>mod a Carerra
Don't fucking do this.

Pretty sure you can just walk into a dealership and ask them to order you a GT3RS. And it's not a racecar, it's a street car that's competent on the track without modifications. The racecars are the GT3R and GT3 Cup.

You'd be surprised, even the regular Carrera engines can make pretty awesome power if built properly.

this

>Pretty sure you can just walk into a dealership and ask them to order you a GT3RS.

No you can't. Trust me.

When I say that I mean there is a list you need to get on and other people are in front of you in that list. If you get on that list now you wouldnt be able to get your car till 2018/2019

I dunno why everyone says this. After a track day go to the dealer or someone with Consult software. It will tell you what fluids need to be changed. Brakes and tires may need replacement depending upon how hard they were used.

If you intend on doing 10/10ths runs for 24 hours then yes you need additional cooling and the stock brakes aren't up to task but for normal track days it's really not that bad.

The only expensive thing about the GTR in normal maintenance is the DCT fluid which is universally expensive. Most things are just Nissan parts bin shit. If you blow a transmission yeah expect to pay out the ass but for the most part it really is just a Nissan and never will be anything more than one. Fanboys will pretend it's some godlike thing but it really isn't amazing anymore.

The 991 GT3 is just ready to go from the factory for said 24 hour runs. The R35, like the 911 Turbo, needs upgraded cooling if you want to go more than ~45 minutes of hard driving without cooldown laps on a real road course like Laguna Seca.