Would you buy a Toyota GT86 if from the factory it had a 3.0 V6 diesel engine that revved to 5100rpm...

Would you buy a Toyota GT86 if from the factory it had a 3.0 V6 diesel engine that revved to 5100rpm, and made 370lbs-ft of torque and 250bhp?

>diesel

No. I would buy it if it had a 2.0L inline 4 with 200hp though

just kys

Spotted the Amerifats.

A car weighing so little and with such thin tyres would be an absolute drift missile with that much torque, it would be a riot. Probably wouldn't get traction until you were in 4th gear.

>3.0 V6 diesel that revs to 5100rpm

Show me an engine like this

You mean that's high or low? Most of the BMW and Audi diesels in the past 10 years will happily go to 5000rpm, but they make peak power a little less than that.

I don't want my sports cars to drive like underpowered trucks. I guess you don't have much choice in Europe though

No. Now if it had the iForce 5.7, that'd be a different story...

>Probably wouldn't get traction until you were in 4th gear.

he said that like its a good thing, fellas

> 5100rpm

8k redline or bust.

All it needed was the successor to the 3sge beams. I guess Toyota lacks the capacity to develop a sports car now though, since Subaru did 99% of it.

Fuck no. Diesels don't belong in cars.

said like someone who's never driven one

>hating on super illegal low mpg
>while being more powerful and robust than pedro engines

High

Fucj

Said like somebody who's never experienced real torque from a big V8.

I don't want any more mileage than a small 2l gas engine gives you. Modern diesel's aren't "robust" when they need 50 computers, 20 miles of wiring and 100lbs of emission DEF bullshit to run.

A modern turbo 4 produces as much torque as a diesel anyways.

i'd actually consider a GT86 if it was a Camaro

>Said like somebody who's never experienced real torque from a big V8.

>said like someone who's never experienced fun going around a corner and instead needs a car that drives harder and faster than their dad's cock

if you're talking late model don't even bother

my dad got a '17 with the V6 and the thing is fucking awesome.....

except the transmission sucks, the interior sucks, and his fuel sensor died on him the other day after 7000 whole miles and it shut off the fuel pump.

Holy shit faggot, you're trying to hard, pig fat can be fun, but just like bitches, you can like skinny and thick.

and yet you think diesels don't belong in cars

If it's in a truck, sure.
But for a "fun" or "sporty" car it's just out done and out dated compared to modern 4 cyl turbos and v6. Do I think a hektic turbo diesel Volvo is cool? Oh yeah, but you can't argue that a cucked diesel that needs twice as much engine to keep up with a 4 cyl turbo is ever going to remain relevant in modern cars.

Do you want your GT86 to be front heavy ? Because that's how you get a front heavy car.

Also diesel =/= sports car engine, because low revs, weight, turbo lag, shit noise (diesel convertibles should be outright banned), and tons of other reasons.

Listen to me americans : you only want diesels because you can't get them, but their only place is under a truck's hood, or in whatever workhorse vehicle. End of the story

d-d-d-do you think that IC engines are going to remain relevant in modern cars?

How about double all of that?

I'd have still bought the car if it had 120hp. being able to buy a car ''similar'' enough to an AE86, MR2 or S-chassis in term of price, power to weight, and aftermarket is exactly what I'm after.

200 is plenty for me, especially in a country where straight roads doesn't exist. getting more of that power to the wheels with boltons and tune won't run you much more than 800 bucks and a couple hours of labor either.

almost traded it for a cayman once in the 4 years ive owned it, sort of glad I didn't.

IC engines are not going anywhere as long as the barrel doesn't reach at least 200$.

>shit noise
6 cylinder diesels can sound mint pal

Weren't you going to sell it?

This

guy wanted to trade his 08 cayman for my BRZ last summer.

did all my research on the porsche, made sure it wouldn't have IMS issues, checked out its service history with porsche, all that.

ended up not going through with it. I wouldn't have been able to properly care for the cayman either way. and I like to fuck my cars up, and the 86 is a car you can fuck up.

>V8
>real torque

4 wheelers. Lol

Because you can get more torque and HP out of a stroked and supercharged LS with less weight and a more usable powerband. VW diesel a shit.

>gt86 is like an mr2
That's enough internet for me today.

>V12 diesel

why

> in term of price, power to weight, and aftermarket

in which we learn how to fucking read

Because they won Le Mans.

No seriously.

No

The whatever displacement V6 petrol engine they have in their lineup would have fitted in the engine bay quite nicely though and they would have sold faster then they could make them.

God I hate it when the Japs get all obsessed about one little thing. Obsession over low centre of gravity stopped this car from being as incredible as it could have been.

its faster than a golf GTI of the same year, while being cheaper, RWD, much lighter WHILE being on prius tires

it's not a supercar, it's just a fun little sports car.

>its faster than a golf GTI of the same year
Umm, no sweetie. Golf GTI would piss all over a GT86.

Doesn't mean it's a better car though.

I'd buy a Camry instead. Gt86 gets smoked by 4 cylinder Camrys and absolutely rekt by a v6 one.

>shitty VAG diesel found in cars
>TDI lemans engine
they have nearly nothing in common but the name faggot

They literally built that V12 and put it into the Q7 as a celebration for winning Le Mans.

Get a twin turbo i6 diesel from a BMW and fuck yeah you can sign me up. Almost 500 torques in a car that small would be godly

And where did you find this mythical stock 4 cylinder Camry that manages a 6.5s 0-60 time?

What is this? A Honda? The new Si will have a 7k redline, LESS than the GT86.
>tfw when Toyota has more rev-happy engines than Honda

That's not how torque works. You'd get the same effect from lower torque and shorter gearing, and then you wouldn't need a pigfat iron block V6 to hold those insane chamber pressures, and you wouldn't need a heavy flywheel to even out the power fluctuations due to lower RPM, and you wouldn't need a transmission that could hold that much torque, etc, etc.

Now, if it had a 300 horsepower 2GR-FE, I'd definitely consider it.

>That's not how torque works
It is.

No, but I'd buy it if it had a flat six that revved to 9k rpm

It would still be ugly and the only diesels I would consider are old Benzes and Volvos.

I need an answer here Veeky Forums. I know a guy at work who swears up and down that this car (stock FR-S specifically) understeers like a motherfucker. This goes counter to most things I hear about it, and the design goals of the car. But he's very insistent that it does. I think he's probably just a normie idiot with bad tires or something but idk since I've never driven it.

If you've driven this car, how much understeer have you experienced?

>diesel
No.

>rotary
Yes.

Diesels aren't for sports cars.

Rotary should be for no car.

I never said it wasn't seems to think you're lying though.

all i'm saying is that the 86/brz with a good toyota V6 would be gods gift. probably would have been cheaper than developing the FA20 as well

It's possible. He probably doesn't know how to agitate the car into a slide very well though.

Just because the car has low grip levels doesn't mean it oversteers easily. the chassis can be setup for oversteer easily but I doubt the factory made it wildly tailhappy. Your guy is probably plowing into corners and giving it a few turns of lock really quickly which doesn't translate into oversteer. Tell him to learn how to trailbrake or clutch kick the thing in the wet.

That's what I'm thinking, that he's turning in really hard and expecting to whip the tail out easily. I think he's probably exaggerating a bit too. Also, apparently Scion tunes the suspension differently compared to Subaru and makes it "more fun"

toyota/ scion has a 10% softer spring at the front compared to the subaru.

I'd take the subaru. probably a bit more balanced handling with the slightly stiffer front end

>5000rpm, but they make peak power a little less than that.
yea like just above 3k rpm

Diesel is just not fun
It does it's work in a shitbox, and as always powerful diesel will be more fun than a weak one, but even then diesel is diesel

what if they finally unravel those ceramic rotors that will finally not shit oil everywhere and not need rebuilding every 30k they have been talking about for a decade?

the rotors don't matter, its about having a reliable fool proof oiling system that supplies enough of the right oil. with some sort of system that tells people that its nearly empty and reduces power so they actually do something about it. why couldn't mazda just make it so if it ran dry or something wasnt right it would shut down and tell them why? people would be pissed but no more broken engines.

either that or make the housings and seals out something compatible and make them self lubricating. some sort of super low friction coating on the housings and seals that requires no excessive oiling

>Can create more power with just a turbo

This idea is retarded and so are you.

>Diesel is just not fun

hmm...
>super short gearing means you have to change gear every 3 seconds, perfect if you have autism
>muh torks for ez wheelspin
>hugely loud engine even at idle, revving it out sounds like amazon vans making hektik deliveries
>hugely polluting so you get to poison everyone in traffic
>smoke from exhaust is always cool
>massive flywheel/hesitancy to rev means heel-toe takes a solid 5 seconds, again good for autistic people
>that excitement when its cold about not being sure if your car will start
>hugely rough so you get to feel what RPM you're at by the vibrations through the footwells
>choke means they drive themself when cold without throttle inputs

There are joys in diesel motoring, they are just a bit different.

Bmw x35d or x40d cars would rape most of your shitbox. Even concerning cornering.

>he thinks corners matter
This isn't an anime and you aren't on the touge pal.

It's not. Power at the engine and power at the wheels are the same (assuming magical lossless power transmission). Torque at the wheels can whatever you want, but more torque means less RPM. First gear is low RPM, high torque at the wheels and fifth gear is high RPM, low torque. Meanwhile, the engine is making the same amount of torque at the same RPM.

Yeah but with a diesel the torque is available more of the time since you have less revs to climb. The trade off is stupidly short gears.

No way

>That quote
what did he mean by this?

No, you need taller gears so you can convert the lower engine RPM into the same wheel RPM. And you don't "make torque available," because it's power and not torque that matters. And gasoline engines typically have wider power bands than diesels because they don't redline the moment they rev past idle. Diesels are just really efficient inside their narrow powerband, which is why they're used in highway cruising semis and boats and generators running at a constant RPM. It's also why they do so well in industry standard fuel economy tests, and never do as well in real life.

never trade it away senpai.

It doesn't work like that.
Diesel engines can't be used in a drift missile. I looked into it years ago. The issue is revs. Drift cars, whether entry level or professional, never stay at a set RPM and are constantly changing thousands of RPMs every second to keep the wheels spinning at the appropriate speed.

Diesel engines can't rev fast enough to be of any use. For fast revs, you need a fuel that can burn quickly, not just efficiently. Because diesel fuel takes so long to burn, the engines can't rev high, or rev fast enough to be of any use. The 2.0L flat 4 in the 86/BRZ now would be amazing at drifting compared to a diesel engines 86

Owner of a slightly tuned BMW 335d here.

You are chatting shit m8

You can rev some of them hard, but that doesn't mean there is any power up there. Most are out of puff by 4000 rpm. They have very narrow powerbands, that is why pretty much all of the powerful ones are automatics - plant your foot and let the gearbox keep you in the effective range. Perfect for making effortless progress. The manual ones are fine, but you are wanting to make progress you will be changing gear a lot