Peugeot buys Opel and Vauxhall from GM

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-06/gm-said-poised-to-sell-opel-vauxhall-to-psa-for-2-billion

How much of a shitshow is this going to turn into?

How many years before French taxpayers money is used to bail out this garbage company?

did GM get a good deal?

Losing a huge chunk of R&D for their FWD platforms doesn't sound like a good deal to me.

>tfw abused children can be taken into custody but abused car makers can't
>General Menace

good maybe theyll usher in a new age of cheap rwd shitboxes
>lol suuuuuure

Peugeot is doing good and Opel is a healthy company here.

You have to consider the political strategy aswell, France has a goal set by Europe to create a certain amount of jobs.

>implying they didn't gut Opel before they sold it

Patent-wise they probably did, but unless they literally moved all the engineers over to Chevy the R&D capabilities are gone.

>French taxpayers money

They're gonna have to get more R&D from Korea now

Is Trump going to allow that?

they got rid of a loss making budget car brand/manufacturer so yes

PSA is either going to have to piss off all the unionised workers or ditch it themselves all whilst making the Opel group actually sell well again.

Wish they would drop a ton of cars and focus on making their few popular models better and more profitable - the Corsa, Astra, Insignia. And make the Mokka not complete trash.

Hasn't PSA been sneakily scaling down European manufacturing and sourcing everything but the final assembly from its Chinese subsidiaries?

oh... and I'd like to see them ditch the Vauxhall branding and just use Opel. Plus I like their badge more. Might as well simplify things

No idea, I don't know much about the auto industry other than its laughable in Britain and I got myself onto a small manufacturing course when I was unemployed - was taught by a man who worked for Rover as it died and did some of the production line management for BMW Mini.

Honestly, how much R&D needs to be done on FWD by now?

PSA were planning on using more of their own engine with Opel's hybrid tech.

Yes

Quite a lot if you don't want your car to be bottom of the heap in every test

>with Opel's hybrid tech.

How exactly does PSA plan to achieve all this when GM sucked every fucking patent out of Opel before selling the hollow shell?

But there's nothing more to learn about FWD? There hasn't been for many years.

Opel-Peugeot-Citroen.

Literally all shitboxes.

Did they set a goal to make the most boring and unreliable shitbox?

Peugeot had their day once. They still flirt with previous passion now and again.

Citroen too, never forget the comfiest suspension on the planet.

That was so long ago though, last good one was the 205.
The 206 and the rest of the line since then were absolute shit, I remember the 406 being cute, and the coupe of it was good looking, but the platform was shit.
The [ ]07 lineup is incredibly boring and the current one is "who?", the 208 is better than the 206-207 but the gti never made an impression, I doubt people even know it exists.
I mean, granted, they were always meant to be cheap. But people don't even consider buying one these days when there's ford europe, skoda, vw.

>french
>hard working taxpayers

I don't think so Jim

Also now we will see even more rebadged mini cars like the VW up!, now only on the Adam base.
Well maybe this bring us new Twongi and thus new memes

So this completely destroys the Imported Commodore deal
Good, now they can put the name to rest with local manufacturing