Embrace the progressive future of motoring!™

You don't need to drive yourself go- guys. Enjoy traveling again with all the freedoms and without all those annoyances of car driving!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xGi6j2VrL0o
youtube.com/watch?v=FAvQSkK8Z8U
latimes.com/projects/la-fi-automated-trucks-labor-20160924/
youtube.com/watch?v=T7Os5Okf3OQ
youtube.com/watch?v=eAal0juXXzU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>tfw this isn't the future we chose but we're getting it anyway

Fuck you. I'll install my own goddamned wheel.
>Tfw you were born early enough that you will live to see shitty bubble cars from the 2000's become classic cars.
Hold me.

People that were alive when model t was sold didn't live to see them become classics either
commuters will never ever be a classic except for the 30 year definition or whatever

I don't see the issue.

Good. Time spent driving in any setting except empty back roads or on a track is basically wasted.

Yeah, I forgot this is the car hating forum

I don't follow.

I love cars and driving them in fun ways. Most driving isn't fun though, and since I also enjoy reading and chess I'd rather do that stuff than drive on cram-packed commuter highways.

>You mean you don't like driving in a straight line for eighty minutes a day? Why do you hate cars so much?
By the way, that's my commute. 40 minutes of plain, flat freeway one direction, 40 minutes of the same featureless freeway on the way back but in reverse. I'd rather do homework, read, shitpost, or play Dorf Fort.

I'm fine with automated personal transport, as long as I get to drive my own car when I want to.

youtube.com/watch?v=xGi6j2VrL0o

I can't wait.

>as long as I get to drive my own car when I want to.

LOL
As if you have a choice.
It will be fucking expensive to insure a manually driven car.
Just think about it for a moment. By then, manual driving will be shilled as being more dangerous since the computer can execute far more shit at once and they won't shut up about how well this works for planes.

You will either be one of the plebs who drive in these bubbles or you're lucky enough to be one of the few who can afford getting your old shit road legal.

>tfw my daily commute has corners and shit

Yeah, sadly anyone still driving themselves will be seen as a menace to society.

Good for you, but not everyone's commute is like that.
Or the vehicle can get grandfathered in and you can put a cheap weekend only insurance on it.

i can enjoy driving in straight line too m8y

youtube.com/watch?v=FAvQSkK8Z8U

>car accident in 2035

>self driving cabin sperged out being not creative enough to figure out clusterfuck city traffic situation
>t-bones manual driven car

>numale in selfdriving cabin is ok while manual driver has to pay for the damage, livelong neck pain money of the numale in the selfdriving cabin and has to go behind bars because he didn't pay the thousands of dollars a year for insuring a manually driven car

>I'm fine with automated personal transport
Then ride the fucking bus or train or call a fucking Uber or whatever...as soon as this takes place, autonomous cars, you don't get to choose any more. This is the "we know best" mentality sticking it's nose into yet another part of our World and taking away yet another choice. Enjoy your "drive".

take that trash back to /n/ fagoot

you guys really live in a fantasy world if you think it's going to be that dystopian

what about pickup truck drivers who need to haul loads
what about rural areas
you guys need to think of that before you start crying about this unrealistic shit

>self driving cabin sperged out being not creative enough to figure out clusterfuck city traffic situation
As more self driven cars take to the streets the clusterfucks will be less and less common. It'll be the manually driven cars that will t-bone the automated cars, not the other way around. Already there has only been a single at-fault accident with all the millions of miles driven by Google's cars. Tesla hasn't gotten one that wasn't an idiot pushing it past the limit.
>you don't get to choose any more
And how do you know this? Can I see that crystal ball of yours?

Traffic snarls are caused by bad drivers though. If all the drivers/automated cars follow best practices in the first place, then there's no chaos.

>And how do you know this? Can I see that crystal ball of yours?
Nice digits.
The only way self-driving cars can function perfectly is if every car on the road is a self-driving one. As you said, the human element is the most dangerous part of any car/driver combo so it should be eliminated where possible.

>what about pickup truck drivers who need to haul loads
>what about rural areas
Those jobs will be the first to go...
latimes.com/projects/la-fi-automated-trucks-labor-20160924/
youtube.com/watch?v=T7Os5Okf3OQ

They function well enough already though.

youtube.com/watch?v=eAal0juXXzU

It'll only get better as the technology matures and more unpredictable human drivers are replaced.

>more unpredictable human drivers are replaced.
Little nugget of Truth for those of you paying attention...

And the only way to get it 100% perfect is to replace all unpredictable human drivers.

If inbred white trash can drive it, so can an AI

Here's to hoping that the rise of popularity in self driving cars within the coming years will divert lawmaker attention away from manually driven ones. It would be nice to see a halt in fucking absurd government overreaches dealing with the modification of manual cars (similar to the ones reversed by the RPM act) while lawmakers are chin deep in shit from having to legislate new laws to cope with the new technology.

will people be living in basically moving apartments? like a self driving rv type thing?

Oooorrrrrr they could just outlaw manually driven cars altogether. No "who's at fault" bullshit to deal with if the system is 100% automated.

Good thing we don't need 100%. If we did we wouldn't let people drive at all.

Oooooooorrrr the fucking moon can fall out of the sky and kill us all and then we never have to worry.

Possibly, though that sure as hell won't happen in our lifetime. Do you realize how incredibly difficult it would be to fully outlaw the hundreds of millions of manual cars already produced in America? What do we do with all of the scrap and what about the people who can't afford a self driving piece of shit? More than likely, it's going to take many, many years to even come close to fully outlawing anything like that, at which point, I hope I'm not alive.

They can't do shit to guns but somehow cars are fair game.

>And how do you know this? Can I see that crystal ball of yours?
Because I'm an "old guy". I have seen this shit before. Follow the money. Always, follow the money. The separation between those that have and those that do not, is becoming greater everyday. The "middle class" is increasingly a smaller and smaller portion of the population. People "in power" always want more control over the rest of us; the idea of, "don't worry, your needs will be taken care of" is bait to get you to give up your freedom of choice. Wake up. There is no easy path. Life is HARD and anyone who tells you they can take care of your needs is just whispering sweet nothings until the rape your freedom of choice.

Fucking W O K E

I'd rather have an example and concrete proof, not an insane rambling conspiracy.

>I'd rather have an example and concrete proof,
I'd rather not have to use my brain to solve problems and have to connect dots...

funny because the instant shit goes wrong in a plane the pilot takes over

Wtf is this shit mate. Imagine how much shit you have to remove just to change a faulty sensor or switch that can't handle the Australian 6 months of summer heat

Literally everyone who drives our E Class (or rides along) is impressed by the automated stuff and says they want it in their next car. From the parking to autonomous overtaking (actually the feature I use the least, but still).

Most of my commuting is already autonomous. It's roughly 60km of freeway and pretty straightforward city driving. A tap on the gas pedal at traffic lights and occasionally maneuvering is all I have to do.

Right now you still need to have your hands on the wheel for it all to keep working, so that does make it far from perfect but by the time we get our next E Class it will probably no longer be required.

Thing is, autonomous driving has been creeping into cars already and practically everything about it is welcomed by people who experience it.
Blind spot assist, adaptive cruise control, auto-braking, self parking etc have been around for a few years now and I've yet to meet someone who didn't like it in their car.
The more advanced features won't take that long, and people will love that as well.

And it'll take decades for mainstream autonomous cars to completely remove manual input, pretty much every manufacturer has admitted to this.

you find the "concrete proof" by being a bit less ignorant towards what happens around you

What's so bad about getting shit drivers out of behind the wheel?
Auto cars will be like moving chicane on the highway, so much fun

Planes have had autopilot for decades yet planes still require a fucking pilot copilot and crew
Idiot

As someone who has never owned a car newer than 1981 and does my own work on them, I would hate to be legislated into driving one of these overly technological pieces of crap that -when something breaks- you're SOL because you sure as hell can't change any parts out on that car yourself.

I'm ok with that.
I just want someone to put in paper, and signed by all the powers in the world, to ensure that no matter what, I'll be able to still drive by myself outside -designated automated areas-.
So, other than the city streets and highways, I want to be able to drive my car everywhere else.
I don't mind if cars become like horses, where they are relegated to either incredibly specific tasks or just entertainment. But I want to be granted that they'll exist and I will be able to enjoy them.

>Wake up. There is no easy path. Life is HARD
I mean, I wouldn't call it easy as shit since I still have to do stuff, but come on.
There are toilets, I have drinking water, there's electricity and internet, education is easy to get. Unemployment is at alright levels and it only hurts those without preparation or with disabilities at most.
I'm not rich, I'm not poor, I can indulge in pastimes, I haven't gone hungry in 6 years, I have my own place...

MY 2013 is actually pretty friendly to work on

hell its easier than my 99. and less clusterfucky than my 1990 just because it doesnt have a maze of vac lines

Thankfully, most of us can either afford repairs or have warranty on new cars.

>my entire experience of vehicles are of some of the most notoriously unreliable hunks of shit ever built

>Literally everyone who drives our E Class
And there it is...the "HAVES"....you paying attention, "HAVE NOTS"?

Grandpa, take your pills.

By the way, technology always starts from the upscale models and then propagates to the lower end. Bluetooth is found even in Versas now.

i'd be quite happy for my self-driving car to tow my track car to the track

>life is hard

What? Other than some setbacks (deaths of people I cared about) there hasn't been anything hard about life, and there hasn't been any risk of it becoming hard either.
Maybe if you had ANY education whatsoever, you'd be financially stable enough to get out of whatever setbacks life throws at you.

What? Can you rephrase that because I don't get what you're trying to say.

It's not entirely because it's cheaper, though it is nice when an hour in the garage saves you $300 over taking it to a shop, but it's also just enjoyable. Personally, I love spending time working on my cars. And when you take them to the track often, things break and it's not the cheapest thing to take it to the shop every time you need a small repair.

Depends on the engine. Most are still based on old engine blocks, simply reconfigured to allow for newer shit.
So you'll have OBD2, maybe a tarbo, more electrical wires, but other than that engines are still pretty much the same, just more precise in their timings and specifications.
Unless you buy a new bmw, which are made so that you can't work on them, or require that you basically buy a whole plant of components to do it, most cars are just fine.

Ecoboost is just the same old inline with a turbo with a different name.

Even the bmw blocks are basically the same, just maybe different materials, like full alu instead of iron and other stuff put in there.

You'll live many more years grandpa, since all that salt will preserve your old meat.

Honestly, I can't say I have a whole awful lot of experience working on newer cars. But if these autonomous drivers look anything like the picture included in the post, you're going to have a hard time fixing anything.

Fair enough, I'm cool with that.
But I don't think that will be impossible/banned for a long time. Don't worry...yet

>What? Can you rephrase that because I don't get what you're trying to say.
E Class Mercedes refers to "Executive" Class. Here you have someone who is clearly distanced enough from the everyday problems of the working class, that they are out of touch with other people's hardships and realities. The phase, "let them eat cake" comes to mind...

Look, people who will get or use fully autonomous cars won't be the ones who'd ever WANT to work on the car.
Also, most companies agree that fully autonomous cars will primarily be shared cars (from couples, families, friends all the way to company shared cars and taxis).
There won't be a lot of hobbyists with such cars. These things will almost all be just for practicality.

Yeah, that's what I said in another post. I'd be willing to be that neither of us will be around by the time driving is fully outlawed.

>there hasn't been anything hard about life, and there hasn't been any risk of it becoming hard either.
Then it (Life) hasn't touched you yet. You will know it when it does.

>Maybe if you had ANY education whatsoever, you'd be financially stable enough to get out of whatever setbacks life throws at you.
So what you're saying is, rich people are smarter and poor/middle class people get what they deserve...so HAVES vs. HAVE NOTS? Thanks for making my point.

Tell me where did Life touch you.

The only reason people like autonomous cars is because they themselves are a fucking disaster waiting to happen at any point in their life that requires them to physically do something. Those of us with the faintest hint of competence have no need for it.

I wasn't trying to brag, and for the record, it's one car that my gf and I paid for, our offices are nearby. We're not super rich or anything, we work hard and that has its rewards. It does mean we don't have a lot of downtime and once kids are coming (and we want kids soon) we will end up working less, ditch the E and change our expenses overall.

Anyway, besides that, my point was that all the shit our car has, people love. Without exception. And as always, these features will all trickle down to more affordable cars.

The new Smart cars (the cheapest related to Mercedes) have things like crosswind assist, self braking, adaptive cruise control and even DCT transmission (even if it's a shit one).

Everything will end up in the affordable cars pretty fast. If the first fully autonomous Mercedes hits he streets in 2025, then all Mercs will have it by 2032, and manufacturers of affordable cars won't be far behind.
Affordable cars are getting better tech faster and faster with every new model/facelift now.

Thread.

The Supra and Skyline are classics in enthusiasts eyes. That's good enough.

Your Mom and Dad still married? Still alive? Still able to function on their own?

For reason.

For reason?

I want this so bad

fuck commuting

Move closer or find a new job.

oh I hate any driving that doesnt involve breaking the law

I wouldnt care if it was only a 5 minute drive

There's nothing keeping people from making a career.

My parents weren't rich. Neither were my gf's. We worked with what we got, with dedication, and now we live in a place we both love, have a car we both enjoy driving and are working to continue growing in our careers.

I don't have an insane IQ and I didn't have a financial head start from my parents or whatever.

If I can do it, anyone can.

The only HAVE NOT I see so far is HAVE NOT TRIED

4resin

>4resin
I speak English, not autism.

also lol @ the drones going on about money and jobs

youre all the real losers in life

I seriously have no problem with it as long normal driving and petrol cars are still allowed.
In citys it will help to have a more fluent traffic.
Also you wont get killed by 18yo stacy in SUV texting.

Maybe. I mean I haven't had anything happen personally that was out of my control. No sickness or something like that.

I worked for all I have and never took anything for granted. If, somehow, my gf and I break up, and I lose my job AND my house, I'm confident I'd still land on my feet. Because I'd make damn sure to stay dedicated to following my wishes.

Maybe you had some shit luck in your life, I don't know. But to me life isn't "hard", it just requires dedication and purpose.

Good things happen if you work for it. They don't come falling out of the sky.

Stop seeing work as hell, and you might not sound so pathetic next time you post.

4raisin

the irony of this post

good goy

This is one of the faggiest things I've ever seen. Just imagine being a young m/o/torist, and possibly never getting to drive.

>I don't have an insane IQ and I didn't have a financial head start from my parents or whatever.
>If I can do it, anyone can.
So why would you take away the chance for someone who wanted to be a truck driver or a taxi cab driver or anything else autonomous AI is going to replace? You got your's, now everyone else can fend for themselves?

>mfw I just replaced the intermittent ignition system on my carbed DD with a electrical one
>mfw not even have a battery
>mfw no other electrical systems except for 3 incandecet light bulbs an a horn
>mfw mechanical drum brakes

well i mean, France already banned old cars made before the 90's from entering the city, its not too far fetched for a far left ultraliberal govt in the US to ban cars.

Are you seriously trying to imply that there's anything wrong with having a job you enjoy doing? Because that's what it seems like and it makes you appear as a 12 year old, or some broke loser who thinks he's making a point against the "big evil government".

its cool

a happy drone is a good goy

>4raisin
I don't even..... just...... I'm so.....

Nobody WANTS to be a cabbie. It's just the best (or one of the best) options are that point in their life.
Without these specific jobs available, they'll go with other jobs.

Some Dutch cities ban diesels from 2001 and earlier or something.
Thing is, these cars are piles of shit. If you can't afford a diesel from 2005 or whatever, or a petrol car from before then, you seriously fucked up.

Right. What is it you do, if you don't mind me asking?

/thread

how sad is it that people think their job is "what they do"

sad

glad I get to do living

Not only that but imagine how much easier it will be for muggers

>dindu jumps in front of car with other dindu's surrounding the car
>kill the occupants
>take their shit
>??????
>profit

>But to me life isn't "hard", it just requires dedication and purpose.
Ha. Clearly you don't drive anything for a living. There are a shit-ton of people out there who will be out of work if "autonomous AI" takes off. The only reason AI hasn't taken over McDonald's is that (so far) it's cheaper to pay a human minimum wage (that is until they raise minimum wage). As to your "dedication", dude you have a girlfriend..that's not not dedication; that's "I like you the most right now until something goes wrong". Please. Look at Life with a little more long term approach. Eventually, people who you have looked to for advice and a financial/emotional parachute, will start to break and you will be called upon to carry their load...they're not weak, they're not bad people, they just had Life hit them and now you have to step up.