Progress thread

alright niggers,
what's your car and what do you have to do on it?
What have you done on it lately?
>car
Peugeot 106 1.0 '98
>to do
replace the rear axle, a lightbulb in the front right headlight, set the front left headlight correctly, do a brake system purge and put my correct silencer on my exhaust
>done
brake pads and discs and started taking down the exhaust

>tfw I have 5 vehicles and could write a small novel listing the shit I need/want to do.

>car
2003 Toyota Hilux
>to do
Replace all four brake shoes & pads, both rotors and both drums
Replace clutch slave & fluid
Fix the rear dent & put on a new reflector
Clean underside and cover it in lanolin
Construct a better mount for my rearview camera screen
Construct a large custom toolbox to keep in the front of the bed
Remove rust on the rear end and repaint. Bed hatch will be completely repainted

Everything will most likely be done the coming weekend, or atleast everything except for the rear-end painting/rust removal

I got my bike running and functioning 100 percent after it had sat for 7 years and I just bought a timing cover for my 302 build I'm starting soon ™

Car is pic related with 150k miles.

I think it needs new spark plugs, gotta check and possibly replace those

As soon as I get money I'm getting a CAI and doing something with the exhaust

And a tune up after all that.

I know nothing about cars but my dad has the tools and as soon as I get a paycheck I'm going to get under the hood and start learning.

Any tips for a newcomer? Is there anything else I can do to the car to keep it healthy?

Any advice is appreciated, I'm hoping to get into cars as a hobby starting with mine.

Pretty new to cars as well but this is what I think

>Change tires (winter to summer (Canada fag))
Teaches you to use jack/torque wrench
>Change oil and oil filter
>Change wiper blades
>Add windshield washer fluid

It's all basic maintenance so If you can't be bothered to research and learn to do those things by yourself this isn't the hobby for you

After that whatever you car needs to be fixed. Get one of those dash warning light readers if you get a light on.

>car
2003 SVT Focus
>to do
Driver side tie rod end
Driver side sway bar end link
Rotors and pads
IMCR work around till I open the box and try and fix it.

I just finished with the CFM thermostat housing and 180f thermostat so no more leaks, the old housing was completely fucked.

maintenance always on time or a bit earlier if you can
dont hesitate on buying good products instead of the cheap brands
check forums to see what are common issues on your car to do preventive maintenance
you'll learn by yourself as you wrench, dont worry about that

Car: 107
Done: Oil change
Yet to do: Valve clearance
Moped: S51
Done: Carburator overhaul, VAPE ignition, lowering to stock, stock exaust, new original cylinder+Barikit Piston, derusted tank, gear oil change
Yet to do: new tires, ingition system fix, 60ccm 4channel cylinder

>107
>S51
are you french user?
also
>107
rip in piss

a little

cute
the awd equivalent to a twingo
does it go well offroad?

>car
01 malibu
>to do
ignition starter switch, blower motor resistor, breaks(squeeky af), coolant flush + new radiator(old one has some hot spots so i bought a new one), maybe wash it
>done
lower intake manifolds, rear drum to disk conversion, struts(had to change rear struts for the disk break conversion)

>breaks
its clearly fucking 5am i mean brakes.

It's one of the best offroad machines in the world. It's basically 2200 pound wrangler

Nope, I'm german.

close enough
do you really have a motobecane/MBK or is it another kinda moped?

A 1999 W202 with a failed alternator, currently sitting outside.

A 1986 W126 with only a few fixes to do, nothing major.

'04 Opel Astra 1.6 Twinport.

Oil change is due in a couple of thousand km. I also wanna change the transmission and power steering fluids since I don't know if they've been changed and the car has 260k km on it. Also valve clearences should be checked and maybe adjusted, but that's a pain in the ass to do.

In the recent months I've changed the coolant and muffler.

It's a pretty reliable piece of shit.

>car
'99 Acura Integra

>to do
Touch paint up on front bumper, wash it for the 2nd time this week, restore the rims, fix the oil leak, clean the engine bay, get the stains out of the carpet, fix a tail light, replace tires, wax and seal the paint, get the FUCKING WATER SPOTS OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>have done
Washed the floor mats, repainted it a few months ago, replaced the driver's side switch for the window, armor-all'd the dashboard

Car
>1986 Toyota MR2 SC, bought "mechanic owned"

To do:
>bleed brakes and possibly install new lines
>install prothane bushing kit
>replace the broken ISCV
>finish removing the EGR system (Previous owner removed all the vacuum lines but left everything else)
>remove AC hard lines and condenser (previous owner removed the compressor but nothing else)
>replace camshaft seals
>replace front main seal
>new struts
>possibly new springs
>possibly new head gasket
>possibly new engine mounts
>eventually fix the rust
>replace all the various snapped studs, missing bolts, duct-taped shit and vacuum leaks left by the previous owner

Done:
>water pump and timing belt
>distributor o-rings
>oil filter plate o-rings
>shift lever bushings
>shift linkage bushings
>new braided oil cooler lines
>speedometer cable (replaced twice)
>valve cover gaskets
>oil pan gasket
>repainted trim
>new plugs and wires
>new alternator and battery
>new voltage regulator
>new coolant hard lines
>replaced a bunch of gaskets on the throttle body/intake system
>re-calibrated the TPS
>replaced a trailing arm that snapped in half for literally no reason

The ride never stops.

Car
>w211 e55 amg

To do:
>brake fluid
>replace factory analog tv tuner with a digital one

Done:
>valve cover gaskets
>breather cover gaskets
>oil
>oil filter
>tyres
>windscreen washer fluid
>air filters
>throttle body gasket
>fuel pressure damper
>supercharger pulley bearing
>supercharger belt
>spark plugs

>Any advice is appreciated, I'm hoping to get into cars as a hobby starting with mine.
If you're keeping the car for a long time get a Hayne's manual for it or something similar.

>car
2008 VW Polo
>to do
Wait for my brother to get off his arse and order a new bonnet already so I can replace it for him.
Touch up paint just above the windscreen.
>done
Front brake pads and discs

2010 Focus
>to do
full service
>done
Nothing yet.

1997 MX-5
>to do
Keep pulling parts out to sell. Up next are the doors.
>done
Removed the rocker cover, all of the exhaust system, all brake pads and discs, boot lid, front wings, both bumpers and crash bar, seats, seatbelts, steering wheel, airbag, dashboard, centre console, air intake, radiator, alternator, intake manifold, injectors, headlights, sidelights, taillights, and front tow hooks. Think that's everything so far.

>car
1989 Mustang
>to do
figure out what a noise is, possibly clutch/flywheel/throw out bearing. I've gotten multiple possible answers online
replace tie rods
>done
spilled a bit of hot chocolate on the shift boot

>Any advice is appreciated

I found the hardest thing for me when I was first getting into wrenching was just working up the balls to actually start tearing my car apart and trusting that I would be able to get it all back together again when I was done.

If you have a somewhat decent understanding of how cars/engines work and a good repair manual, you'll find that a lot of the repairs aren't as difficult and scary as you might think. It's not some living, breathing thing you're performing surgery on, it's just chunks of metal rubber held together with fasteners. Bolts come out, and (most of the time) bolts go back in. Just work slow and patiently, keep things organized, and don't be retarded about it.

Starting with something small like changing the plugs is a good idea and you can work up from there. I started with a oil change and ended up ripping the alternator a week or two later. It's been just over a year and a half now and I've slowly worked up to fixing all of this stuff:

car
> '87 acura integra

to do
>fuel injector leak
>find water leak in back hatch
>fix vacuum advance
>valve adjustments
>fix climate control arm
>fix rear defroster
>new door handle
>turn signal cover
>front bumper alignment

done
>oil/filter
>front struts
>hatch lifts
>spark plugs/wires
>valve cover gaskets
>distributor timing adjustment
>rear window wiper adjusted

still can't figure out how to stop it from misfiring. Hopefully it's just my leaking injector. The vacuum advance seems really off though.

>car
'05 rx8
>to do
>Replace gear in window motor
>Fix the bose amp in the driver side door
>sound keeps cutting out
>have to solder a new relay onto the board
>ez

>replace apex seals
you missed one

That's pretty fucking cool

>Vehicle
Cat 793F, 84.8L C175-16, 2012?

>To do
Wonder why site ignores service updates to liner seals.
Strip and inspect heads for damage due to leaking liners.
Complete quote for repair to 501 standard and watch customer try to squirm their way out of it.

>Done
About 1/2 way through the heads

Pic related, its a few thousand hours of coolant leaking into the combustion chamber and solidifying in the water jacket. It's also very corrosive.

The S51 is a east german Moped, but is allowed to drive 60km/h since it is from east germany but drives more like 75km/h stock.

>Vehicle
Volkswagen passat, 1.6l 1999.

>To do
Fix exhoust, is rusted.
Fix interior lights.

>Done
Changed engine, old one died.
Got new one and it was broken.
And again got new engine, and now it runs well.
In progress i changed head gasket.

And i learned it by myself. And google ofc.