/Subaru General/

Ask all Subaru questions here
Post your Subaru vehicles
Discuss future plans

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2182086
subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/tcm-experts-ideas-wanted-tcm-code-76-persists-264938/
auto.com/cars/subaru-wrx-limited-2017-jf1va1j64h8809743
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nice cars, what's done to the brz?

uel headers and pilot supersports

I spy with my little eyes, another blobeye

Just bought it in September, Alot of fun on the backroads

Would you recommend a BRZ over a hot hatch?

depends what you expect from the car, if you just want something to commute to work with highways and such with i'd probably go with hatch. If you want something fun to drive that offers alot more control i'd go with the brz,wrx is a great car too at the price

Yeah, fair. I guess, since I'm looking at a daily driver, I'm more concerned with its ability to commute. I've always liked subes, and the BRZ is really damned appealing. It just may not be particularly practical for lugging shit around and regular tasks.

WRX does seem nice, though.

get a base wrx if it's mostly commute, it's very practical with plenty of room and has alot of adequate power when needed. base models are great deals too, was about to buy a new 17' WRX for under 27k out the door about 7 months ago you can now get even better

Forester XT vs WRX STI?

Subaru techs WW@

Anyone know if the sti is getting a new clutch and shifter for 2018? I thought i read that somewhere

what are the downsides of the boxer engine ?
seems they have funky exsuast pipes and perhaps weird piston loading

>BUG EYE
but on another note did America impreza outback sport ?
just that they are like warts around where I live
unlike the 1997 Ford Taurus wagon that seems to have vanished overnight

What would vehicle be used for? I'd go with STI but here's a few things to consider.
>STI ends up almost double the price with all fees
>drinks plenty of gas even when trying to conserve
>Stiff ride that gives feedback from uneven/bad roads
Give more details on use.
Not sure, driven a few new STI's and they shift fine. What are your gripes about the transmission?
Earlier 2.5 engines on Foresters and 2.5 rs are known to have headgasket issues, went to see a 2000 RS coupe with 90k miles that to no surprise had a bad headgasket. Few say it's a defective oem headgasket. Ad far as older Outback sports they are out there just not common and usually beat up

Dealer wants to charge me 660 dollars for 60k mile service on STI without even flushing radiator or replacing spark plugs is this right???

only other thing that comes to mind with Subaru is to be careful with the head studs and make sure the two half's of the block are well sealed where they meet

>so many gaskets tho
forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2182086

>older Outback sports they are out there just not common and usually beat up
the ones here are pretty much immaculate
but they do get stolen and thrashed allot

Did somebody say blobeye?

That's a clean blobeye, how many miles?

If, like me you want a new sti but don't like the current offering. They are updating to sti completely for the 2020 (end 2019) model and will use the much newer 2.0 f4 they have in Japan. I'm waiting till then.

Pic related, what I'll stick with till then.

Just cracked 88k. Not my daily though

Do those Japanese models with new engines still use UEL headers or that's thing of past like with new WRX's?

86 or wrx for touge?

2002 or 2006 WRX? They're both for sale in my area.

Clutch has a clumsy, abrupt engage point. Shift throws are too long imo. Same with the wrx.

I wanna buy a 2017 wrx premium. Are there any good tips for this car or anything I should do to help maintain it better? I ideally wanted a sedan type car with awd and manual and currently only the Subarus and some more pricy BMW has these things that I want

Is it worth getting g the premium version or should I just get the base model?

The new wrx has a new engine, is this engine still susceptible to head gasket meme?

The new wrx has a new transmission, is it still susceptible to the glass transmission meme?

Go for the 2L over the 2.5L.

>Is it worth getting g the premium version or should I just get the base model?
I think at that point you are spending STI money. If you want the stuff that comes at that trim then it might be worth it to you
>The new wrx has a new engine, is this engine still susceptible to head gasket meme?
That's not really a thing anymore
>The new wrx has a new transmission, is it still susceptible to the glass transmission meme?
pretty sure its the same 6speed they put in the STI

OP here, the BRZ is more rewarding around tight curvy roads and offers alot more steering control than the WRX. It's not as secure as the WRX so you may lose traction. WRX is stable at high speeds,brakes better,plenty of acceleration but suffers from loose unresponsive steering it's planted and secure on turns. I think the WRX would hold value better too, just comes down to wanting little more practicality
Whichever has lower miles and service records
I don't get this feeling at all, even in my 2005 sti the shifting feels alot more secure and durable than my brz. Clutch is nice and heavy too so you get a nice engagement.
New wrx's aren't the prettiest but they are a great deal for the price, the engines have been reliable new WRX 6spd is good. I'd honestly go base since I like sporty cloth seats and hate sunroofs, all preference

Well a wrx premium is 27k and a base wrx is 25k in my general area, the cheapest base STI is 32k and I'm just not sure if I'm getting the best thing for my money at the 25k-30k mark

Get base wrx or base sti

Why do you say that?

I'm thinking about getting the Toyota 86. Is the BRZ better?

Literally same car, I think BRZ looks better

ive got this fucking problem with my 04 forester xt

in 4th gear on slow acceleration, the rpms barely want to go up, and the engine has this shaking sensation, until i either let go of the gas, or jam the pedal down. its also a lot worse in the rain

what the fuck is the problem with it its driving me nuts and ive got it at the shop right now and they are telling me they arent sure, im about to bring it to a dealer tho and i know im gonna get ripped off either way here, anyone know whats up?

are you lugging your engine in the wrong gear?

its an auto

well I'm not sure then. a wild guess would be the something electrical that gets more moisture on it during the rain. Computer for the trans or something like that

Increased diameter of the cylinders means a thinner sidewall. Overheating can deform the cylinder block and cause leaks through the head gaskets.
Also if you intend to increase the power the EJ255/EJ257 is susceptible to rod bearing failure.

Of course the EJ205/EJ207 have their own issues, but are the better engines overall.

Afaik they are equal on the jdm version but willing to be wrong and too tired to check

How does the fa20 compare?

I think I do wanna get the premium version though. It has heated seats, the sunroof and fog lights. I intend on it being my DD even in the winter so those heated seats will be great

Like other guy said, at the price of limited out the door it's almost base sti price but if a comfy fun daily driver is all you want then yeah go limited

Limited is like 31k, the premium is 27k

For some reason Subaru decided to go with that naming scheme of base

Hope It's okay to ask diagnostic questions here, don't know if you'll be as helpful as the rest of 4chin though.

So I have this 2001 Subaru Forester that my mom owned for 15 years before giving to me. It's currently got 135,000 miles and I Redid the headgaskets this summer, changed out diff fluid front and back, replaced both front CV's, did a tranny fluid change and have done multiple oil changes and all.

Driving back to college in Bozeman MT from Seattle WA, halfway through the tranny AT oil temp light started flashing after getting gas.
I checked AT fluid, It's all good. I pulled the code, It's some brake duty solenoid. So the car didn't shift out of 3rd gear, down or up - the whole second half of the way back to MT. I also Lost my cruise control at this point.

when i get back, I go to the dealer, get the solenoid, and tranny filters, and a new gasket, replaced the solenoid, drained all the fluid, and sealed it all back up well ( It doesn't leak or anything.)

After doing all this, The problem was left unresolved, so my roommate unplugged the TCU/TCM unit for about half an hour and the problem cleared up for about two weeks. For about since then I've been able to do that whenever the car starts acting up to get it to shift properly.

This past week however, I can't get it to clear up. The trannsmission is still throwing the same code, even with the replaced solenoid.

I believe the problem is electrical, that either my TCU is bad, or that I have some issue in my wiring harness after reinstalling my engine from doing the headgaskets.

What do you think fellow subaru enthusiasts? I would love to manual swap it, but it appears to be a major pain in the ass, and I'm very very short on funds.

It sometimes happens with computer parts where you get a lemon, are you sure your solenoid wasn't defective out of the box? It happens sometimes

I measured resistance of both and they were the same, I guess I didn't bother to check what the spec of that was, but that would be really unfortunate, I really don't want to drop the pan again.

heres someone with same issue
subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/tcm-experts-ideas-wanted-tcm-code-76-persists-264938/

>TCU is bad
seems like that would be easiest fix.take old one out new one in.
>some issue in my wiring harness
also sounds plausible how are the connections between everything?
like this user said as well was the solenoid was confirmed to be 100% working?

with having no idea at all i would guess TCU

I've gone over the connections a little bit, but it's been real cold here and I haven't had a chance to go seriously in depth.
The solenoid was brand new, I haven't considered that it could be defective, but i want to keep that as a last resort of dropping the pan again because that was a PITA.

I'm going to hit up a subaru graveyard and see what a different TCU would do

Just to make sure we're on the same page, The TCU is that box, about the size of a couple loafs of bread with two big multipin connectors going into it, under the steering wheel and in the cabin?.

couple slices of bread.

This thing.

The guy who wanted to buy a 2017 wrx again

I found this
auto.com/cars/subaru-wrx-limited-2017-jf1va1j64h8809743

It's a (virtually) brand new wrx limited for the price of a premium. It's at this infiniti dealership with only 6100 miles but I'm skeptical

Why would someone buy a brand new car then turn it in for an Infiniti? I wanna call up about this but is there anything I should be wary about?

>hits vape
>exhales totally sick cloud
Suhhhhh bruhhhhhhs
>hits vape
>...
>...
>...
>exhales huge cloud that looks like a burnout as i drive off in my 2.5RSTi

its an auto with paddle shifters. that's why they traded it in

user, don't buy an auto WRX

Aww fuck it's an auto I didn't even look. I got so excited

Try autotrader

I want a 97-01 impreza wagon. Where do you guys look for low mileage cars?

Rough idle that can be easily fixed with modified ECU software, and loss of engine oil pressure caused by a cam gear issue can cause stalling.
Apart from this, you're supposed to change the engine oil twice as often as recommended, and use the best fuel you can. That's about all I know of the FA20.

Just lurk Craigslist a few months you'll find an overpriced one with low miles and service records

Also considering a new WRX, I think I want to limited because LED lights and power seats, to make it a comfy daily.

Should I get a used one or wait for the new 2018?

Wait for 2018 models and buy a 2017 for cheap

A "rough idle" what does that mean? An idle so low its prone to stalling?

>loss of engine oil pressure caused by a cam gear issue can cause stalling
is this a problem thats on ALL FA20 engines? or is it just a problem you get if a cam gear goes bad? Is there a fix beyond best fuel and twice as often oil changes?

hey Subbie people

I'm relocating for work in illinois and planning on leasing a 2017 impreza as a daily.

any thoughts about it as a dd?

yes, im considering a lease because i might be relocated again in 3-5 years.

just did some googling
it seems the issue about rough idling was fixed with an ECU update for the FRS, 86 and BRZ, and knowing the wrx having the new FA20 engine that too

as for the oil pressure issue I can't really find much on anything after 2015

Don't they accelerate like old people fuck?

Can't fault it as a dd. Just put snow tires on come winter, as with any other car.

Truthfully I don't know the FA20 too well at all. I assume the idle is caused by the ecu, not the cam gear.
I'm guessing the cam gear is a weakness and not an outright fault. I don't know much more than that.

what if i dont put snow tires cause im a normie?

you can drive in snow on summer tires. it just is not fun and it doesn't grip like it should

A subaru impreza wouldn't come with summer tires

so can i still use the snow tires in summer? or do i have to change it again considering that its a lease

Don't use snow tires in the summer, they have a special compound and they wear out really quick when used on hot dry pavement

If you crash the car because of inadequate tires it'll cost you more than buying a set of steelies with winter tires.

Worth 3 grand or nah?

I'd need a 2k loan lol

But god damn I'd love to have this. I love 80s cars, my buddy just got RHD imported wrx and everyone agrees it shits on my supra, I'd love to roll into work with this and get the reaction.

Clean looking interior. I've been drinking and I have the # for my loan girl ready to go, idk man

>I'd need a 2k loan
user, you shouldn't need a loan on 3k shitbox

I know, but I recently depleted my savings on another shit box. I just don't want to let this rare shit box slip by.

So, not worth it? I could probably sell my winter beater for 5, maybe 600.

Want to import a 2000 WRX STI Type-RA into Canada to use as a daily driver. Anything I should know ahead of time?

What kind of coils are y'all using

in your vapes

Where at? I got 3k

user pls. No. Unless you're buying it for me? It will earn you my gratitude, I am a powerful psychic.

It's in PA though. Gl

get ready for the maintenance previous owner neglected

You are fucking up hard in life if you are getting a small loan for a shot box.

Ree

Alright, no subaru. Who knows, maybe it'll be there in a month when I have 3k in cash to spend.

I want to see it if it ends up in some user's hands though, pls post here.

Fuck off, this isnt NASIOC

>Veeky Forums constantly filled with shitty threads
>few generals to contain threads/questions
Why is it the Subaru one triggers you?

Finally a Subi thread that isn't
>LEL BRZ ID SO SLOW XXD

Pic related, mine

stock?

Yup, leased a manual hoping for the sti version to come out, which will never happen. Probably going to buy a different shitbox when my lease is up that I won't mind tracking.

won't even consider buying it out? if not whats next

new faster model i would guess

its a smart move if there's expected to be a new generation coming out in a few years with a "better" motor

>new faster model i would guess
>its a smart move if there's expected to be a new generation coming out
>if
that's the problem, if not the 86 what's next? and when is lease up?

I've considered buying it out and putting a turbo/brakes/suspension on it but for that kind of money I'd rather have a shitbox I can practice on a track regularly with no fear.

I absolutely love this car but for learning how to race in the cost would be just obscene. Imagine blowing a motor or crashing it? That would fucking suck.

>graduate college
>parents want to buy me a new Crosstrek
should I do it bros? I don't want to drive fast, but only 148 hsp kinda scares me but I just want a dependable awd car that'll last forever like my 2002 Honda CR-V

Lease up in August btw

only if you get the manual, CVT a shit

i understand it's a huge step but i think with a solid 10k you would easily have a reliable 350whp, weather you wreck your shit or not is different story. Either way i wouldn't daily drive a car modded with such

I plan to get a 2-4K car and save the rest for tires, parts, and the inevitable kaboom (tranny/engine)

Veeky Forums memes aside how bad is the CVT? I can understand other brands making shit CVTS like nissan but I've heard the linertronic is really reliable, plus it's lighter and better mpg.

>parents would buy you a new car
Hahahha enjoy having more money than me faggot

>Veeky Forums memes aside how bad is the CVT
user, it's not a meme. Get the manual and learn