Is law school truly a meme?

is law school truly a meme?

I'm very interested in business law + international law

don't want to get memed though

It's a really saturated field. If you don't attend a top tier university, get amazing grades, and make connections you may have wasted a lot of time and money.

It's a total meme. Life isn't The Good Wife. Have you even LSAT? Ofc not. user pls.

Now go get your kneepads.

This

there are more people in law school right now than there are lawyers out in the field. Its over-saturated as fuck.

Most law school grads are paper pushers who review contracts. Not actual lawyers or anything of the sort.

How would one get into politics with a law degree?

get rich then go into politics

otherwise you will need to sell your soul

It sucks and is currently saturated.

Best case you open your own firm and do well, or work for another firm that hopefully does not work you to death.

But yeah the work itself sucks.

My first job after graduating law school was working retail for the holidays. it freaking sucks man

What this user said is true:
"It's a really saturated field. If you don't attend a top tier university, get amazing grades, and make connections you may have wasted a lot of time and money."

Save yourself the torture of 1L, Bar prep, pretending to care about a bunch of rules that you know are made up bs, and a possible life of poverty with massive debt.

i'm sincerely advising you user. Unless you LOVE the law or are in a top-tier school and have connections, it's not worth it

wow.

What school did you attend? And what are you doing now?

Dont want to give private information on Veeky Forums lol but it was a Tier 4 school and i'm mostly doing clerical work now and attempting robinhood moon missions on the side.

And actually one of the most frustrating things was i've had plenty of experience and many places wanted me to intern for them.
But i could only go so long being an intern cuck working for free. i got billz n stuff

It's so bad that i remember this one place had you pay them if you wanted to intern for them lol

what is the most profitable specialization would you say?

Securities law

what about tax law?

Jesus.

Please God make our government create an escape from student loan debt.

That sounds terrible. Condolences user.

bump

People respect certain kinds of lawyers tbqh. Like environmental or possibly prosecutors maybe real estate. You can do that awhile then get into local politics and have fun if you don't care about being some big shot a TON of political jobs exist like State Legislator, Representative 9th Ward, Assistant District Attorney, stuff like that.

One scam I found out about is that sometimes states will even get uncontested jobs, so if you can find one that is empty you could just waltz right in and nobodys going to challenge you because they assume you are a badass lawyer who's going to ruin them so you just get it for free.

Just finished my first semester as a 1L at a T14 school.

What other anons have said is mostly right: field is saturated, debt is astronomical, it's a ton of work (both school and practice).

Worked at a law firm before I went to law school. I highly recommend doing that. If you see attorneys stressed and miserable, working 10 hour days M-F and occasionally on the weekends, and still want to be an attorney, then go to law school.

Corporate law. But you have to have connections and be really good at Jewing every single penny you can for the company.

As for tax law, the average person can just simply go to TurboTax. If you're going to do tax law you better do accounting as well. And again, gotta think like a Jew to save your company money. I dont say this to insult the Jews, but they've really mastered the art of getting money out of nothing

Fuck off
You don't have to use low interest gov't loans for school if you don't want to repay the debt

Low interest?? Mine started out at 7%. Trying to bring it down to the current rate. It's a freaking scam

It is a meme for most. If you can get decent scholarship money from a T14 school then maybe its worth it.

what about UT Austin?

UT is probably fine if you want to work in the Southwest. Will be harder to get good work in major markets like DC/NYC/Chicago/SF.

I assume you want to work in BigLaw because of your interest in Intl/Biz Law. That pretty much limits you to Dallas/Houston, maybe Phoenix. I'd do some research on firms you might want to work for, and look at their professionals page. You can usually search for lawyers by school and you can see how many people they hire from UT Austin.

Also, top-law-schools dawt com forums have alot of information for you. I did alot of research on there before deciding to pursue a different career.

I graduated in 2015 with a law degree from the University of Iowa. I'm a paralegal working for $14.50 an hour. I will never earn enough to survive and pay off student loans.

If you have a family member working at their own firm, do it. If not, don't.

Dude stop being a retard. The longer you stay there the worse it's gonna look. Take a job at a law firm SOMEWHERE there is bound to be one that hires you.

What would Tier 4 be?? 50th-75th best schools?

Mine are at 7%

And if everyone at my local college hadn't promised me 1000 times the degree was totally worth it and jobs grew on jobbies, and the career was awesome I would not have GOTTEN THE FUCKING DEGREE.

If I could give the degree back tomorrow AND pay $1,000 I would gladly do it to get rid of my debt.

At least with a mortgage you CAN GIVE THE FUCKIN HOUSE BACK.

All I want to do is law f a m. This is my passion. Ya'll are bumming me out. I know 100% I can graduate the top of my class if I go but idk how good of a school I can go to. I'll probably graduate with a 3.5-3.6 from a state Uni. I'm studying to take the LSAT this summer but I'm really good at tests like this so I think I can get to at least the 90th percentile.

Also I'd love to be a criminal prosecutor

Any tips?

>there are more people in law school right now than there are lawyers out in the field
This is a stupid and false meme you read on facebook and started repeating without giving it a moment's thought. People like you should be euthanized.

ya i heard that the number of people going to law school has dropped pretty hard since the 90s

But there are many more people in law school than new job openings for lawyers

>new job openings for lawyers
You have to define what you mean by "new job oopenings." If you mean jobs in an established private-practice law firm, then you're probably correct. But there are in-house law jobs, government law jobs, and public interest law jobs. There are lots of quasi-law jobs in banking, finance, real estate, accounting, investing, etc. Not everyone with a J.D. wants to go into private practice, or even to practice law at all.

7% is a pretty low fixed rate given the loan amount and your (probable) low credit rating. Unless that 7% is actually an adjustable-rate loan for student debt, in which case get ready to get ass-fucked as rates go up lad.

Utilize the School Debt as a Tax-Reduction strategy.

Since you can't take it back - might as well maximize the return / gains you can get from it now even if it's a debt.

Depending on the amount of the debt you have - it might make sense if you could get a personal loan that has a lower APR rates and use it to pay off your student loan in full. The terms might not be as favorable or it might - depending on your situation.

Paying off a loan with a high interest rate using a second loan with a lower interest rate than the initial loan is not smart unless the second interest rate is stupidly low. Otherwise, you've basically refinanced your debt (incl. interest) with a second interest rate so instead of paying say $40,000 at 7%, you're paying $40,000 plus 7% interest PLUS the lower interest rate.
Student loans also offer a very long payoff schedule as opposed to personal loans which require payoff much sooner.

Stop giving bad advice.

what about real estate law?

Don't go to law school. Biggest mistake I ever made, I even went to a top school but the job market for lawyers is just absolute shit still.

The market sucks but there is hope for enterprising people who do all the right things, like getting good grades, making connections, going on law review, getting published, getting letters of recommendation, knowing how to interview and make a resume, etc. It might not be as high profile and glamorous as you would hope but I wouldn't necessarily discourage somebody from trying.

That said, I have an interview tomorrow and the next day for internships that I am desperate to get. Kill me

I considered this, but my instincts say it's not a good idea.

From what I can tell the student loan debt department is pretty soft when it comes to collecting. You can delay the shit forever and worst case scenario they will garnish your pay (which they can't because I am self employed).

Where as a bank can flex a lot of power to make me pay or take my stuff if I don't.

Although, could I pay the student loan with a bank loan, then just declare bankruptcy? I know this would fuck my credit, but I'm probably not ever buying a house anyway.

You'd be hard pressed to find work in the world of business or law with a terrible credit rating and a bankruptcy on your back.

>From what I can tell the student loan debt department is pretty soft when it comes to collecting. You can delay the shit forever and worst case scenario they will garnish your pay (which they can't because I am self employed).
>Where as a bank can flex a lot of power to make me pay or take my stuff if I don't.

That's playing with fire user. For the gvt student loan, what they sometimes do now if you piss them off enough is call you to court so if you don't show up, they can arrest you for disobeying a court order.

As for getting a bank loan to pay off your student loan then declaring bankruptcy, it makes sense in theory but practically speaking they could possibly get you for fraud or something like that.

But that's stupid. Why would you go through another 3 years of school and put yourself around $100,000 if you still have to bust your butt and be enterprising just to make ends meet?

Might as well just become an apprentice plumber for a couple years and then open up your own plumbing company. You'll probably make more if you're enterprising enough without the insane debt

So i hope the user who started this topic gets the point, considered that every single person in this thread who has gone to law school and has had to struggle in the market can tell you how much it utterly sucks

I really don't see either of these things hurting me if I have the skills for the job and nail the interview.

But God willing I'll never work for another man for the rest of my life.

Self employment is the dream my man.

Hey man, I'm this guy: My other major option was a full ride from UT. UT is a great law school, but don't expect a job anywhere outside of Texas. Most firms in Texas like to see UT on your resume though, and Texas' legal market is much stronger than most areas'.

Crim law is not for the faint of heart; the hours are long and the pay sucks. It's also super political, so get in with the party in power.

What fucks me up about criminal law is that the state defense attorneys stop giving a fuck almost immediately and the prosecutors aren't even slightly concerned about "justice", it's how many nigs can I put behind bars and then get elected to a high office.

schools are required to measure post grad employment and, except for the top law schools, many schools are barely managing to get 50% of their graduating class in a job that requires a law degree

As I said in the post you replied to, not everyone with a J.D. is seeking a job that requires a J.D. A J.D. can open doors into quasi-legal positions where knowledge of the law is helpful, but that don't require you to act as an attorney (real estate, business, tax, financing, banking, etc.). It also makes your resume look a lot better than your competition.

So if you were trying to refute my post, do understand that all your really did is prove I'm right. Thanks for your contributions to the thread.

You have to be trolling.

If you are seriously suggesting that the reason so many JD grads don't have jobs that require a JD is because they never wanted to practice law in the first place then you are simply retarded.

>If you are seriously suggesting that the reason so many JD grads don't have jobs that require a JD is because they never wanted to practice law in the first place then you are simply retarded.
You seem to have some reading comprehension problems. You replied to my post, which was discussing the fake statistic that "there are more student in law school than jobs available in the whole legal field." I was never discussing the state of employment market as a whole.

Maybe next time you won't stumble into a thread, cherry pick a single comment, fail to read it in context, and barf out a stupid reply. It just lowers the quality of the thread and annoys everyone.

Protip: companies run background checks and credit reports on all potential employees before they even consider you for an interview.

Don't fuck over your future due to young ignorance.

My original reply couldn't have been any clearer. You then ask for a definition of "new job openings". And you say that I'm cherry picking. Lmao. Obviously I'm talking about jobs that require a JD. But please tell me all about the hordes of people going to law school not to practice law but to make their resumes look better :D

I just finally settled a case. Made a million dollars on this rip.

But it took me 10 years of bullshit to get one.

>But please tell me all about the hordes of people going to law school not to practice law but to make their resumes look better
Fifty percent of lawyers do something other than the practice of law within the first five years after getting their J.D. I'm not sure if half of all J.D. recipients qualifies as a "horde" but it does tend to prove that you're a fucking idiot.

what about real estate law and admiralty law?