Mother's Retirement

My Father just died and left my family about 1.5 million usd including life insurance and gains from the stock market. My mother wants to protect this money for her retirement and my education. Before my father died he mentioned putting all this money in ira cd accounts.

Is this the best way to keep the money safe and earning a little interest?

Thoughts on low risk investments?

Other urls found in this thread:

pprnoteco.com/invest/
us.axa.com/axa-products/life-insurance/questions/is-annuity-investment-or-insurance.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Go to an established firm. This board is garbage.

CDs really don't pay shit anymore, neither do annuities. Ask a financial advisor that you trust about treasury securities and corporate bonds. May or may not be something you're interested in.

Put it all it TIPS(like cash but will hedge inflation) until you figure out what to do. Talk to a pro that has a fiduciary obligation.

>Thoughts on low risk investments?
gov bonds will mostly keep up with inflation if you don't know what you are doing.

put 20% in index funds that are stock heavy. long term they should have 10+% gains on average.

Pay a proper person to manage it. 1.5 is a lot if it is liquid. Can net around 80k a year at low-moderate risk.

Go to bogleheads.org
seriously, don't listen to these wanna be carpet baggers

Here's where I have a significant part of my cash.

pprnoteco.com/invest/

You get 1% every month deposited into your account. For 1.5 mill, that's fifteen grand a month.

You're welcome

I'm in the exact same situation, get a few professional opinions before you make a decision. Pay close attention to how they charge to invest your money.

usually this but the US is expecting a pretty major rate hike. them shits will be devalued like a motherfucker

dont buy IRA CD's. You can purchase an annuity that will pay your mom a monthly amount, so she has steady income, just like when your dad was alive.

In the event of my death, I have in place an insurance policy and instructions for the purchase of an annuity that will provide monthly income, just as if I am alive for my wife and kids.

The fuck is this shit?

Whatever it is, OP would be nuts to drop his whole inheritance on it.

OP: first and foremost, what does the goddamn will say. Any explicit instructions will stand unless you think you could successfully contest them. Any preferences or recommendations made by the old man before his death should be taken on board too.

Second, get real advice, not the semi-trolling fantasies of NEET losers. 1.5mil is a decent sum that should be wisely invested in a diverse portfolio primarily for income to support your mothers retirement but also with a view to leaving you a decent nest egg. Considerations would include your mother's age, health, working status, homeowner status, and not forgetting the initial point about how the will allocates the inheritance. A reputable financial advisor will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Basically, you're made for life unless you fuck up. Don't fuck up.

OP here thanks guys I appreciate the help. I think the general consensus is that I should go to a financial advisor, which is what I'll do. My mom is mainly concerned about not losing money on the stock market.

My father didn't leave any instructions, he just put everything into a trust for my mom, which will pass to me when she dies or isn't able to manage her own finances anymore.

We don't have much debt and are just gonna pay off our house mortgage and any debt that we have once the accounts are unfrozen.

If you guys need any more info to provide further advice please ask, I'll take any advice I can get.

Give it to me.

I'm assuming you are american. You can try a swiss asset management company, some banks will work with you at this amount. They will charge very minimal fees and will give good returns. Is it all in liquid assets?

>swiss asset management company

You mean like in Switzerland?
I would prefer to deal in person, I'll just have to shop around my region for a financial adviser. Yeah It's all liquid.

Sorry bro, no handouts only handjobs

>notes: all the risk, none of the upside
Jesus, you're a fucking retard.

>You can purchase an annuity
Recommending insurance products as an investment vehicle? Kill yourself now. Seriously.

Annuities are fixed income instruments, not insurance instruments. They are offered via insurance companies but that doesn't make them insurance products any bit more than swaps are insurance products. Think about legality and not conceptually.

>Annuities are fixed income instruments, not insurance instruments.
Nice quads, but you're 100% wrong. Annuities are pegged to life expectancy calculations. Any "investment" vehicle with underwriting tied to life expectancy is an insurance instrument.

There are, perhaps, a tiny handful on situations where an annuity makes sense. Usually it involves people with diminished mental capacity who do not have a capable guardian capable of looking after their financial interests. But unless you're literally retarded, annuities are a poor choose. It's the least scammy of all insurance products, but still a scam nonetheless.

Its worth a trip.They'd structure it all well tax wise give good returns and you still have access to all of it.

Same situation here. My stepfather passed away and left my mom $150,000 life insurance. She doesn't know what to do but doesn't want to blow it all so she's putting it into CD for now. I told her that anything beyond that is gambling, came to this board to see if anyone had any tips.

Not saying you are wrong but I disagree..
>us.axa.com/axa-products/life-insurance/questions/is-annuity-investment-or-insurance.html

>2016
>going to an insurance company website to ask if annuities are a scam
Look user, I realize not everyone on this site is financially intelligent, but let's not be complete morons.

In an annuity, the insurance company is making a bet on how long you'll live. Outlive their projection, and you got a good deal. Die at or sooner than their projection, and they make money. That's Underwriting 101.

Know what other product has those EXACT same characteristics? A life insurance policy.

lol so an annuity is basically a bet on when you'll die? That's fucking awesome. I bet there is a way to game the system on this one.

>lol so an annuity is basically a bet on when you'll die?
That's exactly what it is. It's a contract that says for $X lump sum payment to the insurance company now, the insurance company will pay you $Y/month until you die. You can dress it up with extra features and benefits, but at its core its just a bet on how long you'll live.

>I bet there is a way to game the system on this one
Maybe, but the insurance companies are really good at predicting these things over large populations. They're very good at making money off these bets.

The only time insurance companies get in financial trouble is when crazy things happen to property and casualty policies (hurricanes, earthquakes, etc.). No insurance company has EVER lost money on life insurance.

Tennis shoes go on a person's feet to protect the bottom of their bare-feet from the harshness of the ground. They come in a variety of brands, shapes, sizes, colors, and materials. You know what else has those EXACT same characteristics? A pair of sandals. Sandals are tennis shoes dumbass.

>this is the logic you're using, stop making assumptions and calling things by the wrong name

>inb4 but but but that's not what I meant

The stock market will of course have fluctuations but as long as you diversify sufficiently, civilization as we know it would pretty much have to cease existing for her stocks value to be wiped clean. And if that happens then you'll be too busy fighting off radioactive mutants and Mad Max gangs to stop and ponder how your investments are doing.

Sounds to me like your mother would be best served by one or more broad all-market tracker funds supplemented by reliable income stocks, treasury bonds and some cash. Maybe some exposure to property too. Basically, unexciting but reliable investments which will keep her ticking over until she passes away, at which point you'll be free to blow the lot on Bitcoins and hookers.

Anyway, this will be a very familiar scenario to any good financial advisor. See one asap.

I'm curious if you can post proof that diversification does anything besides encouraging lazy investing and soften returns. Not being an asshole, just curious.

(and I mean div. across multiple market sectors, not div. across multiple asset classes)

>Sandals are tennis shoes dumbass.
They're both shoes. Thanks for proving my exact point.

BTW, that was probably the worst argument I've EVER seen on Veeky Forums. You apparently put considered effort into that, and you came up with the sandal/tennis shoe example? Jesus, what's it like inside your head? Are the echoes loud?

CDs are basically what you Americans call bank bonds, right? If you're totally risk adverse at least see how treasury bonds compare. They're backed by (you guessed it) the treasury so the chance of losing your capital is practically zero.

Suffocate your mother and take it all

To be honest it's such widely accepted advice I'd never challenged it.

possible, but long term it shouldn't really matter.
what goes down comes up eventually.

Put it in the bond market and DRIP (reinvest dividends). Bond market is going to the moon soon. For the next 6 months maybe. You're welcome.

Then why come here?

Put it all on AMD.

If you had bought AMD a month ago with 1 million dollars you'd have 1.3 million dollars now.