Best Mythology

What do you think is the best area of Mythology?
Personal I'd have to say Greek or Norse mythology.

Other urls found in this thread:

norse-mythology.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_(weapon)
mega.nz/#!
mega.co.nz/#!
youtube.com/watch?v=8xJSIc1HmU8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Best mythology
>Norse
Terrible meme. Everything interesting in Norse mythology is told better in Celtic mythology or Slavic mythology. Greece is fine, it's a standard, but it cribs so much from the Near East it's kind of annoying. Go back to early Mesopotamian mythology, Epic of Gilgamesh level shit, now that's based.

I tried to read a book on Norse mythology, and it was incredibly convoluted

Aztec. It's insanely complex with deity interactions, but is also strict, unlike some more animistic mythologies that have a lot of deities. And most of it is about gods killing themselves and each other.

Zoroastrian.

And also the classic greco-roman mythology, of course.

I need to study more semitic/middle eastern/mesopotamian since I only know the basics but the Bible and make it seem very interesting as well. In fact, I could mark biblical mythology as one of my favourites (I'm not christian).

this

Aztec or Maya.

Norse mythology is hollywood thrash, the best mythology is the roman one

>roman one
Other than Romulus and Remus what mythology are you talking about?

I gotta look more into Celtic and Slavic mythology. Celtic is even more animistic than Norse if I remember right from cursory reading months ago.
Same. I think I'll try reading it again soon since It's been like 6 years since I bought it. This site is a lot more concise.
norse-mythology.org/
Hollywood took it because a lot of it is "badass", and because it's the best account of pre-Christian European religion.

Would love to get a book recommendation, or just a name of an expert on Slavic mythology.

What should we call the specific brand of Catholicism/Classical mythology syncretization you find with certain authors? That, or more generally every type of localized folk Catholicism.

>best mythology
What the fuck does this even mean?

Catholicism desu

Cultural fanfiction

You mean like Dante?

Wow, i didnt realize that even Veeky Forums had posers

Anything so long as it's not American """"""""""""Mythology.""""""""""

And no I'm not talking Native American.
>Opened a book on "Myths of the World."
>Ameriniggers dared to put the fucking US there and shit like "Paul Bunyan" or "Johnny Appleseed" as mythology.
Cringe as fuck.

Japanese mythology is pretty dope.

Aboriginal
>how did all these mountains and rivers get there?
>they're the tracks of a giant snake
It actually makes sense that you'd assume that other than some weird Greek shit with sky people.

Zoroastrianism's is pretty cool

That link you provided is really good, i was reading a bit of it just now, im going to continue later but thanks for the link mate.

>satan
>baal
>marduk

Wut. Norse mythology isn't that similar to celtic and slavic. Not the theological tales. Things like lokes trickery and shit is ace. When in celtic mythology does a god get raped by a horse?

Hindu mythology

There are no stronger gods

There are no philosophical gods

There are no numerous gods

He means favorite, most likely.
>Personal I'd have to say Greek or Norse mythology.
That is pretty much the only you know of, ain't it so?

I personally hardly know African and Aboriginal mythology, only the spider trickster when it comes to Africa.

Tricksters are my favorite part of mythology and they are pretty much universal.

I always found it funny that one of the supreme deities and probably most important one of the Aztecs was a troll.

why were there 4 Tezcatlipocas?

Aeneid maybe?

Astras are pretty cool.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_(weapon)

Could you recommend a good introductory book on Aztec mythology? :)

>best mythology
>What the fuck does this even mean?
It means Greek mythology.

Old Testament/Jewish Mythology

The four directions I assume, and it was the number of the sun. Tezcatlipoca himself was a sun,

cool, was there a fifth one?

Nanahuatzin (Our current and final sun). Later changed to Huitzilopochtli by the Aztecs to elevate their unknown minor deity to a central sun deity when they sought to define their imperialistic agenda.

The Mesopotamian one for being OG
The Norse one for being the one I can identify with the most

I would like this too.

Literalism is cancer.

An Illustrated Dictionary of the Gods and Symbols of Ancient Mexico and the Maya

mega.nz/#!
rMMnCTwR!daKfOmq9YuSuDINVwVoTBAL3xCrq2qyqxeTTIw9_ym4

Aztec and Maya Myths (Legendary Past Series). Karl Taube

mega.co.nz/#!
J5kBnY5B!RQcaVAkueodR0cLGpfZr_WT0o5RO0mArXBeH9-nC1SQ

Also check out the Aztecs by Michael E Smith
and Tamoanchan, Tlalocan: Places of Mist by Alfredo Lopez Austin and look into the Legend of the Five Suns. This animation is actually pretty decent:

youtube.com/watch?v=8xJSIc1HmU8