>FAQ and What to Play

FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34

What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas

pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

>Roguelike News:

Latest Infra Arcana build:
jii.moe/ry6i-QmPe.7z

New IVAN update: 0.5.8, adds a new dungeon, a new win condition, new god effects, new items and bugfixes:
github.com/Attnam/ivan/releases

Poschengband update to 5.0.5:
angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8223

Poschengband 5.05 competition:imp skillmaster:
angband.oook.cz/competition.php?showcompo=201

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account

User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

You stand your ground! - →

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/dt64cxzyb5c91fm/DCSS UM Mod 0.15.2, V5.rar
youtube.com/watch?v=IJNR2EpS0jw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

friendly reminder to never play Xom or your a pedo weaboo

This seemed to generate some interesting discussion last thread, so I'll repost it here:

Grinding is a term derived from RPG's where you would have to loiter around an area you've already explored/completed, killing more monsters than necessary, in order to gain levels/items to tackle the next stage of the game.
However there is also forced grind, where the game forces you to participate in repetitive tasks/actions in order to progress. Forced grind would be a game that forced you to kill 10 of a certain monster one after another, when 5 would have been fine. This is usually done to artificially lengthen the lifespan of a game, and is also called "padding".
Contrary to what some might say, the grind of these types in a game like PCB is actually minimal. However there is also subjective grind, which is far more common and what PCB suffers from. Subjective grind is game progression that FEELS like padding because of the repetitive nature of it, but is different. The problem with PCB is that the game has a single objective and everything before that point is essentially just gaining levels and loot, the primary purpose of true grinding. However PCB has a range of quests and dungeons to explore and a wide variety of enemies, and procedural generation means that almost every scenario is different, meaning that you never need to retread old ground, making the grind purely subjective.
DoomRL has different progress markers, but these do not form any type of grind. Challenges force you to play the game in a different way and under different circumstances, and each is like a different game in itself (though naturally similar). Badges and medals are things you can achieve in any one playthrough, or sometimes cumulatively, but they are purely optional and act more like achievements. Aiming for them can be another way to play, but cumulative achievements (build 10,000 assemblies) aren't designed to be grinded and therefore the fault lies with the player, not the design.

wut
I don't know what you just said but the combat in PCB is horseshit, the main appeal of the game is loot and numbers. And DoomRL combat is literally "fire into the darkness to not die from attrition from hitscan weapons". A game with actually fun combat with complex mechanics doesn't feel like a grind even if you fight the same opponent multiple times in similar environments.

ded
last bump in the night

mfw woke up, refreshed old thread and it was dead with less than 700 replies

deader than dcss

The discussion was about what constitutes grinding and what doesn't, not the quality of roguelike combat. I also said in the last thread that DoomRL has great combat unless you're a faggot who thinks you're meant to play it by spamming shotgun fire from around corners, in which case you're simply playing it wrong.

it's exactly as dead as dcss
shitposting about crawl is the lifeblood of the general
everyone shitposting about crawlbadgame actually took their own advice and stopped playing, and now thred will be ded forevermore

Previous one died at 420 or something

>I don't know what you just said but
Why would you reply to a post that you don't understand? Learn to read you fucking child.

oh no, new things

Oh right. Can only customize star sign with jewmodo.

Maybe I'll go back to prerelease 20 later.

And doing the healing quest I remember how shitty the default ADOM keybinds are. I need to get my other hard drive set up again.

Page 10 randompicbump.

>not using superior graphics in ADOM

Last 2 threads died the moment I commented in them.

ugh I haven't had the spark of desire to play roguelikes for months now

I mean I shouldn't at this very moment anyways because I have work to zugzug, but in general I play for a bit and then realize I'd rather do something other than make my RSI worse while driving myself to despair losing characters

oh Ludia, nonexistent muse of gaming, why has thou turned thy face away from me and stolen my spark, my fire, my lust for battle

Well, finally understand why extended Crawl (specifically Pan/Hell) have very specific ways of dealing with shit. Regen+ in some form is a must, super fast attack speed is quite good, etc.

But even just from dipping into Pan and dying after getting the demonic rune, I wouldn't call it fun/interesting.

user pls. You're the only person in these threads who likes it.

Regen isn't a must, you're just bad. Not having fun with things that you're bad at is just natural.

It seems like many strong players agree with you that 15 rune runs are not actually that fun, and it's instead more interesting to focus on getting in fast/underlevelled/underpowered 3 rune wins.

Listening to the opinions of people who have played the game to death was the start of crawl's decline.

It wasn't really interesting. Just a bunch of babies that refuse to accept that any gameplay that requires killing more than 1 goblin is considered grinding. The tedium that they so despise is the one that they're unconsciously indulging in everyday.

Feels good to be a burglary rogue.

Page 10 randompicbump.

That was fast!

Ring mail of Cold resistance near the beginning of the game

You mean everyone just disagreeing with you en masse? I can see why that wouldn't interest a complete narcissist. Just in case your mental illness isn't bait though, I'll ask a question for clarification - if this is your definition of grinding, then what games do you play that don't have it?

play and post rogue likes you faggots

>A game with actually fun combat with complex mechanics
Yes but we're talking about roguelike games, which are strategy games in which you control a single character in an unknown environment against zombie-like enemies. Nobody has figured out how to make that fun in the past 37 years.

Because the thread is dead you nigger-loving kike

PCB possessors aren't as bad as they sound

Decent start I guess.

I have decided that Gozag is better that Sif for Spriggan casters. Funding book shops is more likely to get you good spells than waiting for crap artifact spellbooks.

what a steal

their main weakness is the 4.0 blows/turn cap (obviously not including extra blows from items), but a) even so they are capable of melee and b) they are super fun and get really neat options

I've yet to get far with a caster-spec possessor but I keep thinking about it.

The whole "you can be knocked out of your body, and then the body may or may not dissolve" thing is a serious danger however, especially as an incremental risk in the lategame. Mimics don't have to deal with that, but OTOH mimics often have a rougher time getting the forms they want, particularly uniques.

>smart fucking kobold
that game was hard as balls

The strongest melee forms hit stupidly hard despite four blows, so it's not as bad as it sounds.

The worst (well, least fun) thing about the possessor is that you are basically locked to a good corpse once you use it, so you can't mess around and try out weird bodies.

yeah I wish that intentionally leaving a body didn't have decay risk because it really punishes the player for trying things out and exploring

>ywn possess a caaws

No excuse to not actually read what you're replying to first you double nigger

>yw possess an ultimate magus in your lifetime

Let's play Warsim, /rlg/.

Hey user playing ADoM. I was just about to start a game of that myself. any tips for a complete newbie. like i've never really gotten past the first dungeon newbie. Also you said something about improving the keybindings. any tips on that?

Let's play Mount & Blade!

We should pick Insane, since that's what a REAL roguelike player would do.

No arena scumming allowed!

Is this a roguelike
Is it fun

It's got ASCII so it deserves a fair shake

No.
Yes, but it's unfinished and you'll run out of content quite soon.

Not much we can do right now, not with these resources, but like all TRUE roguelikes, we can exploit bugs and powergame later.
Of course it's a roguelike. Do you think a non-roguelike would show up on Roguebasin? It's even got pretty ASCII. and almost everything is procedurally generated.

I tried to play Smart Kobold but I couldn't turn off my tabmode and died

Whoops! Almost forgot to save!

After looking at this cropping, I can say for sure that it's a bonafide roguelike.

The guy playing it is shit at cropping so it must be a roguelike.

At least do the hex edit that removes the nagware.

Oh no, I lost. I guess I need to start over...
Or I could just reload my save. I'm glad that this ROGUELIKE added that feature.

Permadeath only exists in roguelikes because of tradition. It was never a fun feature, but in 1980 they weren't able to implement saved games.

Was that all? Seriously? Come on guy, at least post some actual gameplay.

It's difficult to find gameplay worth showing.

Two of you isn't en masse. A game without grinding doesn't exist making it a pointless buzzword and it's just a natural occurrence like how there isn't a human that was born with 5 hands. A roguelike that sends you to max level, drops all obtainable items in the game at your feet in a single kill and only has a 2x1 map size would just be silly after all. Tedium is inevitably a part or a requirement for proper game design no matter how short the said game is.

Man, I love roguelikes, but sometimes I wish the really fun challenges weren't kept far apart by long stretches of nothing. Especially when the game will drop a lethal situation on you without so much as a --MORE-. It sucks having to remain extremely watchful at all times and succumb to boredom, so you don't die to pressing the move keys too quickly.

It's not cheating if I mod the game and add those --MORE-- prompts myself, right?

No one is forcing you to play real roguelikes. You can play those games with Save Points so you can just load your game whenever you commit a lethal mistake due to boredom or whatever excuse you can think of.

Speaking as a repentant cheater, no.

Point out the grind involved in chess

The need to require more than 1 turn and 2 tiles to play it obviously.

That's why DCSS is so popular. Push o, get a situation that requires some nontrivial human input, repeat.

what no
the majority of fights in dcss are very boring

Still beats navigating through a hallway or through an empty room.

navigating empty rooms isn't the majority of the gameplay in any roguelikes i can think of user

>DCSS
>2017
>still can't dual wield

Majority of turns taken, minority of time spent.

Picture unrelated.

>gyre and gimble don't exist

Someone made a fork for that actually. Formicids were especially baller, because they could duelwield twohanders. I'll post an upload for it in a minute.

better said as "doesn't exist" because it's a single item
not like quickthorn/littlethorn

Actually I found the link that I downloaded it from, no upload necessary.
mediafire.com/file/dt64cxzyb5c91fm/DCSS UM Mod 0.15.2, V5.rar
Also buffed mummies, and returned Lava Orcs and Djinni to the game.

What about Sludge Elves

Man, Caves of Qud suffers so much from "open world syndrome," or whatever you'd call it.

He let them RIP
Ostensibly the changelog is incomplete, but I don't know what else he might have changed.

That said, he also re-added zealot backgrounds, but they get 9 fewer stat points (-3 each) than everybody else so it's not worth it.

Does dual-wielding actually make combat less boring?

we all know that feel.
>moving through a long diagonal corridor in Brogue
>can't use shift+direction
>tapping up-right-up-right repeatedly
>You die...
>message log says a H popped out of a statue a bit farther on the way and murdered me in 2 keypresses worth of time

adding a more prompt to shattering statues could be a good idea actually, i'm going to do that

The trick is to use the mouse to travel long distances in brogue.

Now, waiting for caustic gas to dissipate and whoops it spread onto my square and sssss dead, on the other hand.

What are all the bugs associated with PCB deathswords again?

You have to *identify* yourself whenever you evolve to reveal your slays on the character sheet, is the only one I know of.

I don't know about bugs but I know getting your essences drained by disenchantment is the literal worst

or press enter instead of using mouse

it's whenever you get a new slay/brand, not just when you evolve

also the various race-specific telepathies like "sense orc" don't show up on the character screen (although they still work)

I don't know about you but bumping enemies and point to clicking enemies for exp is the very epitome of boring which is unfortunately present in all roguelikes.

Define please
Is that where the game allows the player too much freedom and no focused goal such that the player just fucks around on the map, ala C/DDA or Elona/+?

Not quite. More like there is a lot of room to explore and whatnot, and yet it all feels so empty. You're right, but the problem I'd say is that, aside from the unique locations, everywhere else is so samey. I've only played the free version, so I don't know how much more complete the Steam version is. For example, the mountainous regions distant from Joppa have very similar monster spawns to areas not far from the early game.

For whatever reason, I have recently created a character with no purpose other than to destroy everything in an area.

I found for myself a new song to listen to while playing roguelikes
youtube.com/watch?v=IJNR2EpS0jw

I think this should be our virtual memeball song instead of crawling in my crawl

Alrighty. To your first question, define just how open you are to spoilers. And for the keybinds, you change some self-explanatory values in Documents/ADOM/adom.kbd

What is the best summoner combo in DCSS?
Is it still Sif Mummy?

So let me get this straight. Your argument is basically that grind and content are the same thing. By definition of these words, as already demonstrated, you are objectively wrong. The closest approximation to your perspective is that you personally find all content tedious, and thus would label it as grind. This is rather sad, and it makes me wonder why you're here at all.
If you wish to continue arguing your case, please at least understand that your central point hinges around a word meaning something different than what it actually means, and provide something new.

If your only real incentives to go Translocations is Phase Shift and Warp Weapon, is it worth the EXP?
-t. Formicid

ants can use Passage of Golubria as well
one of the only ways they can actually put distance between themselves and monsters

apportation
disjunction
singularity
mass banishment