New MR2 coming

>That means a new Supra, the GT86 taking the place once held by successive generations of Celica, and a spiritual successor to the MR2 in the form of a lightweight sports car. Tada-San expressed Toyota’s desire to have the trio in production together “As soon as possible”. With other performance ‘specials’ like the new Yaris GRNM hot hatch, Toyota’s driver-focused offering should soon be unrecognisable from the barren period of recent years.

evo.co.uk/toyota/gt-86/19033/toyota-will-produce-three-strong-sports-car-lineup

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ug0yfA3ZXj0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

So the pigfat bmw, shit box toyobaru, and some smart roadster tier mr2
Fuck Toyota

You beat me to it, you bastard. I've been trying to get the word out

So is the the S-FR? I always thought it looked like a front engine MR-S. Or is Toyota actually making another mid engine car?

They're acting like they're sure it's a new MR2 and mid engine. They either confirmed that it's not the SFR, or they're just being shit journalists. Both are equally possible tbqh.

>The confirmation of a new MR2 is fantastic news for driving enthusiasts, and should at last mean some competition for the Mazda MX5 in the segment.

>Given he was ‘Mr GT86’, it’s no surprise that Tada-San is trying to make the new MR2 as simple and light as possible. However, to meet forthcoming emissions regulations Toyota is working on incorporating the hybrid tech from its LMP1 racers into the car, which means it’ll almost certainly retain the mid-engined layout, as battery storage in the overall package is easier. While the MR2 may not be a hybrid from the start, Tada-San says Toyota is “Working very hard” to make the hybrid roadster a reality.

>mr2
>hybrid technology
i thought the point of the mr2 was to be mid engined as well as affordable

youtube.com/watch?v=Ug0yfA3ZXj0

never ever forever

>which means it’ll almost certainly retain the mid-engined layout, as battery storage in the overall package is easier
I missed that part, but it sounds like wild speculation. It definitely doesn't sound like the S-FR, though, so the picture is looking like this:
>New design
>2 seater
>Probably smaller than the FR-S
>Probably 2600-3000 pounds
>Probably starting around 35-40k to slot in between the FR-S and Supra
>Probably mid engined
>Possibly convertible

I hope it's the spiritual successor to the Mk1 MR2, it's the best one.

Throw the 1.8L SC engine from the new Hot Yaris, boost it to maybe 220hp, put it in a 2500ish lbs chassis, should be fantastic.

Actually stock SW20 is better by miles from both AW11 and ZZW30.
AW11 is something I'd drive when I was 20 year old. Its a cheap sporty car with a peppy engine.SW20 is something I would definitely consider tackling when 30+. It feels much more refined car (later versions of course).

dead link

SFR seemed like a mule name desu considering it's literally an anagram of FRS

>If you take care of the car, the car will snap oversteer on you regardless.

Only if you're a bad driver.

They haven't said it's a MR car, just that they want to have three brothers again. Before that was the Celica, the Supra, and the MR2. Today is probably going to be the GT86, the new Supra, and hopefully the SF-R. I hope it's the SFR because if they come out with that, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I'm all about that hot Yaris for a daily

>Toyota is working on incorporating the hybrid tech from its LMP1 racers into the car

lost interest there. light weight, my ass.

>pigfat

While the SW20 was great car, it kinda got away from the light weight and tiny form factor of the AW11. That's why the ZZW30 ended back up being small and cute and light just like the MK1.

The SW20 tried to hard to be an affordable supercar. The AW11 and ZZW30 were always a driver's car for the masses.

It's going to be Japan only i bet

The Prius is pretty affordable though.

>Hybrid

>2700 lbs

>hybrid
So it's not the MR2, which has always been 'take FF shitbox stuff we already have and bolt it into a mid engined car at a reasonable price'.

I think you guys are the missing the part where they say it's a spiritual successor.
It's not going to be mid engine.
It's most likely going to be the SFR.
So they will have the Supra at the top, the FRS, then the SFR.

Leaked press image of the new MR3
Many lives were lost to bring you this picture.

>trying to be funny
eat shit and die faggot

>tfw buying the most driver oriented mr2
>tfw new gen will come out as a hybrid meaning it will respark interest in mr2 and repopularize zzw30
>tfw can propably sell zzw30 for more than I bought it

I kinda agree.
AW11 is a cross between sw20 and
zzw30
superlight, storage space and dangerous and great 80's styling.
SW20 is absolutely gorgeous looking and most practical but it is heavier and bigger than other two.
ZZW30 is a pure drivers car it gives away everything it can get away with and only gives you engine in the middle,just enough power to the rear, great controls and lightness.
I'll be getting a zzw30 soon. I think it's the worst looking of all three but it was the first car to beat doriftu kingus ae86.