Catalytic Converter?

I have an '05 Tacoma, and my friend told me to take the catalytic converter out to make it sound better. Don't know much about cars, but isn't this illegal? Should I do it, and if it is illegal, what are the repercussions and likelihood of being caught?

Illegal.
Will throw CEL
You wont gain anything

>make it sound better
your friends a faggot
also yes its illegal

>tfw no obd 2 vehicles.
>Tfw no face

Fuck cats.

>tfw using a tuner to delete the light for it

>tfw no inspections in my state

It's only illegal if you get caught and the o lying time someone looks is at inspection even then if your state doesn't do emissions tests no one will know

The only thing it'll do is raise your gas mileage by a bit that's how vw got slammed

>not just letting the light burn out
It's not a problem if you can't see it

Legality depends entirely on where you live.

Likely won't make it sound better, simply louder - perhaps raspier

Should you take out the cat? Nah.

Should you shop for a proper aftermarket exhaust set-up like new headers, and decent properly made pipes? I would, but I have a budget for car shit, do you?

>led
>burnout

id be waiting till i died for it to go away

also my dash also shows the actual code so i can look it up

>
Yea I'm a broke 16 year old with no job, so not looking to spend a lot

>Tacoma
Your cat probably rusted away with the frame

How much?
it currently gets 15

In that case, just keep the cat - as removing it may suddenly cost you more than you were interested in spending if you snap some bolts or the exhaust hangers are fucky

Don't do it. Your car won't sound any better and will run like shit. The engine checks the oxygen levels before and after the cat and uses the data to make adjustments to the Air fuel ratio. If it detects a missing cat it will likely go into a default safe mode that will cost you both power and fuel mileage.

>delete cat
>CEL comes on
>runs richer
Mpg goes up how exactly?

I removed my cat because o2 sensor is in front of it only, it reduces low end torque slightly but drastically improved high end power. On the new Tacoma's if it has an o2 sensor after it I wouldn't mess with it.

This

If you want sound, have an exhaust shop remove any resonators you may have or just swap your muffler. It's legal and actually makes a difference.
With modern cars you're just going to make it run worse unless you feel like running a test pipe with software to keep your stupid truck from running like shit and throwing codes.

Illegal
Immoral
CEL
Your car will smell like a fucking boat
No substantial performance gain

>also my dash also shows the actual code so i can look it up

What car is this user?

>Yea I'm a broke 16 year old with no job, so not looking to spend a lot

Underage b&