Modern car audio

Is this an appropriate topic for this board?

I need to install a stereo system into an old (i.e. outdated) car I bought. I'll be reusing my classic MB Quart speakers, A/D/S sub, and PPI PowerClass amps from back when those brands were great.

But what's the deal with modern head units?

Modern car stereos are retarded from the factory. Who wants to pay $500 extra for an already outdated, slow GPS paired to a slow, low-res touchscreen?

Here's my ideal: a basic AM/FM/aux car stereo with a hardware volume control that also has a touchscreen. The touchscreen would be primarily intended as 1) a backup camera display and 2) a fully interactive screen for my Nexus phone.

I'd be okay with losing the AM/FM functionality, but it's a nice, bare minimum, oh-I forgot-my-phone source.

I *don't* want one of those Chinese Android head units. The goal is to minimize the amount of quickly obsoleted tech installed into the car. This is a double-DIN, by the way.

Any thoughts?

I feel like anything that isn't a DVD screen in a double din just looks like ricer shit. If it doesn't it generally costs a hilariously large amount

I have an Alpine CDE-W296BT. I think it looks decent for what it is. And since the button lights are RGB, I could adjust them to look like the other interior buttons, so it looks way less ricey.

Personally, I don't really care for a touch screen. I don't have a backup camera and I don't really look at the screen. All I want is Bluetooth calls, audio and USB playback.

Pioneer

Normally, I heavily recommend the Joying android headunits that you don't want. Not the most recent version of Android, But I honestly don't think anyone will be able to spot the minuscule differences between versions in 10 years time. I've had every single Android version since Gingerbread, and even have the recent Nougat version on my phone.
I just can't tell the differences, and 98% of people won't either.

As to something else that isn't an Android headunit... Well anything that isnt' a touch screen is pretty much already outdated honestly, but if you have to forgo touchscreens, then Pioneer is probably one of the best choices.

I'm not going to even recommend a specific stereo because they're all going to do very similar things in a very similar manner. Of course you cover the basics like looking for specific amp classes or CEA-2006 certification, which is important, but aside from that, just look for a double DIN used stereo that when you look up the model does what you need it to

I'd recommend relying solely on your smartphone and bluetooth for sourcing. MHL is not as useful as it's ever been intended to be. learn to configure alternate button assignments to control your playback without turning the screen on, or download a dedicated car dock app you maybe activate with an NFC tag or something, that way all you do is pop your phone on its dock.

this way you minimize unnecessary tech and connections in your car and the possibility of needing to install addl equipment (GPS antennae, additional radio antennas, microphones, etc)

just google pioneer double din touchscreen you simpering idiot

It's sad, but I understand why they aren't making things that look good in older cars. Too small of a market.

For some reason all aftermarket headunits these days look ridiculous. You can't get a plain, stock looking stereo. It's like they aren't even on the market. The market is flooded with ricer boiracer shit that looks like it was designed by a 12 year old. Cheap buttons and displays are common in even moderately priced units. I have no idea what is responsible for this trend, but it totally baffles me.

Generally most head units are made for a global market, with different programming for different languages.

Pioneer 7800BHS, just bought one myself. Least rice-y deck I could find with 6 2v pre-outs, minimal buttons, and full features. Crutchfield has it for like $20 off normal list price right now too.

>just got Focal PS 130V 5.25" component set for $200 off normal price from Crutchfield
>as well as a Kenwood 900.5 5 channel for $250 as a manufacture refurb

Sony XAV-AX100

>using in car audio

>Not wearing noise isolating audiophile tier earbuds when driving

>Wanting long term hearing damage

>Not wanting your shitbox to be as quite as a luxobarge

I want to hear my car's various soundtrack and bonus songs when I drive.

Instead of some that listen to music and are oblivious to wheel bearing starting to give in a couple of hundred kilometers, serpentine belt starting to slip, cams giving away slightly more noise due to various things related to oil/temps whatever.

Appreciate the cars self learned music and you'll hear when the car tells you if something is wrong.

>driving with noise isolating earbuds
>being this aspie

he's probably just poor

I was more thinking
>Son, you know I pulled you over because you can't be wearing noise blocking earbuds while operating a vehicle in the great state of New Arolinaware.
>But officer if I listen to my anime music on my speakers the audio quality doesn't allow me to fully capture Munsuke's passionate lyrics about climbing mountain of love so I need these and I need to get to my job at McDonalds so just LET ME GO LET ME GO REEEEEEE

This is dangerous af because you can't hear shit outside

fuck off tripnigger

>LET ME GO
>INTO THE NIGHT
>LET ME GOOOOOO
>OUT OF THE LIGHT

>REEEEEEE

Yea but my shitbox has perfect visibility thanks to no safety standards, and I focus better with music/no road noise.

I can still hear everything, it's just a bit quieter.

True
It's definitely illegal where I'm at, but I've seen cops look at me and they don't care.

This is actually not too far off from what I wanted.