[ D a i l y B i k e T h r e a d ] - /dbt/

[ D a i l y B i k e T h r e a d ] - /dbt/

The true progenitor of the sportbike you fucking idiot edition.

Motorcycle Questions & Answers
Motorcycle Routes & Meetups
Motorcycle Gear & Accessories
Motorcycle Adventures & Blog Posts
Motorcycle Pictures & Webms

/dbt/ map
google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=z7CKLSFiJH_M.kMZoQpBOKipI

Motorcycle Ergonomics Simulator
cycle-ergo.com/

Are you new to bikes? Read this:

Weeb bums with sound
Previously on /dbt/

Other urls found in this thread:

visordown.com/features/road-tests/road-test-cbr954rr-vs-zx-9r-v-gsx-r1000-v-yzf-r1
youtube.com/watch?v=JKdBiXT97cg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

1st for our beloved tripfags

Second for r1 is best beginner bike

>not the H2
Can't take a pillion, so you can focus on solo riding skills first.

zx9r has 20 more hp than cbr954

You have that the other way around user

>954RR
>146bhp@11,050rpm

>ZX9R
>130bhp@10,200rpm

visordown.com/features/road-tests/road-test-cbr954rr-vs-zx-9r-v-gsx-r1000-v-yzf-r1

>not h2r

This nobiek again

>not supercharged busa
It's easiest to learn when you don't have to use the throttle because peak torque is at idle rpm

Don't be silly, you need to be able to take it on the road. You won't get used to traffic by bumbling around Laguna Seca.

keeno is trap user

H2R can be road legal with a few simple mods™

>The true progenitor of the sportbike
Gixxers were heavy piles of shit with a strong motor and poor stability before Baba literally defined the sport motorcycle as being ~200kg that was easy to ride in addition to being fast.

Before the 900RR sportbikes were hodgepodges of parts while trying to make as much power as possible. They were still trying to figure out how to make motorcycles handle well. Uncomfortable and unrefined built specifically for a racing class.

With the 900RR and every bike after it they were purpose built and designed from the ground up to shave every gram of weight for the sake of handling while maintaining fit and finish as well as ease of use. It was properly sorted similar to how all modern sportbikes are. Bikes that worked on the street and handled well without being wonky or shit.

Suzuki still hadn't quite gotten it right by the late 90's with the TL1000R.

>Before 1992 people didn't know how to make motorcycles that handled well

uh huh

you're american aren't you?

we're talking 100+hp bikes here fag. Not scooters.

There is a signficant difference between putting 130hp to the ground and being controllable and putting 40-50hp to the ground.

>merely pretending to be retarded

yeah this is boring, have fun user.

piece of shit suzuki 1100 engine was pig fat and they recycled it until like 2008, and was a kawasaki z900 rip off.

Back then 750cc+ bikes did not handle well. I'm sorry you're too young to know this and somehow think a 250 shitbike is relevant when talking about 750-1000cc sportbikes, but that's not my fault.

youtube.com/watch?v=JKdBiXT97cg
Movie time, dbt. Go watch Mondo Enduro. Tasty adventure awaits.
>ywn push your motorcycle to the absolute limits of its durability

About to buy a chopper (a used one because I don't have the money to buy a new one) thinking about a Yamaha XVS 1100 or Triumph Speedmaster. Both from 2005 and around 30k kilometers. The XVS is more customizable but the SM looks better from the stock. I like the style of both and riding them feels really good but are there any other good options I'm missing? Which one would you prefer?

CBR is pretty much done. Colour matching for new fairings is in progress.

I need to raise the needles slightly as it's running a little lean below 10,000rpm. Also an exhaust leak at the mid-pipe flange I need to fix. Running pretty much perfectly besides that.

RS250 used the RGV250 engine. There's a few of those that were tuned up to 100hp. A lot of power for such a light bike. An RGV250 with a good tune is a weapon in the twisties.

A friend of mine used to have a worked KR-1S that made 85hp and weighed about 270lbs. Peaky as hell but pretty quick.

>Comparing 2 smokes to 4 strokes

This guy posted a two-stroke. I was responding to

Fuck off cuckold

Um?

>just registered the fz6
>officially hasbike
>weatherforecast shows no more rain

Maybe I'll pick her up today instead of next week, will be gone for next week tho and didn't buy a lock yet

I hope you dont crash

hey /dbt/, i used to lurk here a while ago but haven't come in a bit
anyway, i currently have a bike that hasn't run in about 5 months. I put it away in a garage with a tank full of gas and just left it there, a few days after buying it. it was my first bike.
It was running absolutely fine before being put away. It's a carburated bike (GS500).

Is there anything I should do before trying to start it today? I'm guessing I'll have to charge the battery, but other than that I have absolutely no idea.

Thanks in advance for the help bois

Oh and before anyone asks, the reason i left it unused is because a lot of shit came up in my life just at the moment i bought the bike, and i had a lot of other stuff to spend my time and thoughts on. I've been feeling bad about letting the old girl unused so long, since it was ridden just about every day before I got it... now things have cleared up and it's time to get back in the saddle

Clean carb if it was left with gas in the bowl, and change oil

>Clean carb
i need to take the carbs off then? fuck
>if it was left with gas in the bowl
i don't even know what that means so i guess it was.

You could probably just give it fresh fuel, check the spark plugs, hook a battery up and try starting it. Good chance it'll run fine once the fresh fuel is flowing through. While you probably should think about giving the carbs a clean it's probably not completely necessary.

>give it fresh fuel
i'm sorry i must sound like a retard, but i pretty much am when it comes to engines and shit.
so do you mean putting the fuel thing on "prime" to fill up the carbs, or actually draining the tank and filling it up with new fuel?

>don't even know what that means
float bowl is where the gas sits in the carb. Old gas leaves residue that plugs the jets
>draining the tank and filling it up with new fuel
do this and mix in some STP/seafoam, see how it runs

>draining the tank and filling it up with new fuel?
This one.

>find perfect bike
>your price range
>looks exactly like you wanted
>over 300 miles away
>over 600 miles in total
>gas is expensive in your country
>turns out it's a pretty bad deal if you count in the gas money and time

???
seriously, go get the fucking bike. what is 600 miles as a fraction of what you'll do during ownership of the bike?
fuck.
you're lucky enough to have found the bike you want. go get the damn thing, ride it, and fucking well enjoy it, whether you like it or not.

Grab a friend and road trip it dude, don't let that pass you up!

>i commute 1300km/ 800miles on weekends, less than 100€ in fuel

I guess there are only a few countries with gas prices significantly higher than in germany

are scooters allowed itt?
i want a honda ruckus to go around town in but i need the Veeky Forums opinion on them
i'd need to try and get it up to at least 40 mph

There is literally nothing wrong with a scooter

>>>/scoot/

Apparently indicators/signalling is optional for fuckin car drivers

>approach roundabout
>car is going to exit into the lane I want to get in
>dumb woman driver isn't signalling
>assumed she was going to keep going around the roundabout rather than exit into my lane becaue she isn't using the fucking indicator
>she nearly runs into me
>honks at me

Was I in the wrong? maybe I should have stayed where I was rather than assume, after all I am not a fucking psychic.

>Grab a friend
i don't have any friends
the thing is that you MUST see it with your very own eyes before you buy it, just like cars. If something will go wrong i will lose quite a bit of money and i will be no longer able to afford a bike.

Other thing is that gas price and other things like transporting it back home cost money which quickly adds up. I might add that to my budget and buy something more expensive.

I don't know what to do anymore.

Is buying a pit bike a good way to assist in self teaching about carburettors?

>he doesnt assume all cars want to kill him

Should I buy my gear from a big name brand or my local dealer?

My local dealer is cheaper by a mile but they stock brands that you don't hear about like 'Lindstrand', or 'Biketek'

>this

Cagers are dangerous, you see one you ride away from it at high speeds.

how do i bypass ignition lock?
i have a possibly stolen minybike with no keys

They're generally pretty weak but a scooter is pretty good for commuting. I owned one for a while because registration was pretty much nothing and you can go a long way with just a few dollars of fuel. Unless you put a LOT of work into it, a scooter is what it is though. Learn to wheelie it and you will impress girls more than pulling a wheelie on a bike in my experience because noone expects the scoot.

The basics are all there but most carbs on pit bikes are quite simple compared to a car or a late(as late as carbies go) model sportsbike. There's definitely something to learn there, but maybe consider swapping on a more complicated carb from another bike to challenge yourself.

how about like a 250?

Sup nigga.

Should I get a good textile jacket?

I already have one, but it was cheap (£40), pretty poor build quality, not 100% waterproof.

Just dunno if it is worth it. I would be lookinh at spending at least £120 or so.

I am a poorfag that only makes about £60 a day from my job.

I suppose you're talking about the pit bike but if it's cheap enough just go for it. You'll learn about carbs for sure I just mean it probably won't be a CV or have any pressure and vacuum lines hooked up and a need to balance etc like you would find on something complicated.

Just make sure you will be able to find parts for it that you might need.

I have a Dianese textile jacket and it's been lovely for the last 3 years. A boost in price is almost always a boost in quality for bike gear it seems.

>TFW want to get up early and hit the twisties tomorrow
>all the good rides are blighted by fucking cyclists on weekends
How busy do your favourite roads get?

Not unless you're poor or disabled.

Scooters are really a regional/situational solution for DUIs and pooinloos. In civilized countries and higher social classes, the definitive "just get around" bike is the cruiser. Loads of torque, gobs of style, tonnes of places to loud down with cargo without looking ridiculous, comfortable seating position, enough power to accelerate on-par with modern traffic instead of holding it up, and more luxury add-ons than you can budget for.

Pls guise i need to find a way to hotwire this cunt

Cruisers are a bit big for getting through tight traffic but there are a lot of bikes that can do it better than scooters anyway.

give it back to the rightful owner and they can start it

it just feels like it might be a bit of a waste.

I already have a waterproof jacket, even if it is a piece of shit.

I am just so indecisive and it sucks sometimes.

Fuck it I'm going to at least go to the shop today and try some out.

Who knows I might find something good on sale.

Cruisers are narrow enough for american lanes. In yurop, they have narrower, taller standards for people who aren't poor or drunk.

Where the fuck do you live

On freeways it's fine but inner city traffic on a cruiser would be a challenge to split/filter/whatever you want to call it

Anyone recommend a rear tire. I'm looking for something more budget and longevity oriented then grip and performance. 180/55zr17

>Inner city traffic

In the US, two nissan titans, a nissan armade, and a ford F750 will make splitting on anything impossible anyways

Pic related.

>US

>"freeways"
>"inner city"
>"whatever"

You're one "dude' away from sounding like an american dude

American lanes are really, really wide. You don't eat this many burgers and have tiny streets like yurop

>£60 a day
>poorfag
I wish I was that rich, I could basically buy whatever the fuck I want.
Are you paying an entire rent or something?

>Mfw i made 50€/day
>Wr is still 2€/hr

>make 20 bucks a day by riding for 2 hours on weekdays

Feels good, get into delivery work kids.

If you already have a textile jacket why don't you get a used leather jacket instead? It will actually protect you and it will cost like that new shitty textile jacket you want to buy.

Just park it in your living room.

Pilot Road 3 or 4.

For future stints of your bike just sitting there, shut off the fuel drain the carb float bowl, pour fuel stabilizer in your tank and top it off with fuel.

The stabilizer and a full tank will keep your gas from going to shit and an empty carburetor wont get gummed up with shitty fuel.

Too late, already stolen it

alright well you put your wrist between the chain and sprocket and keep turning the wheel until you learn to keep your hands to yourself KYS degenerate

good to know, thanks

>What did he mean by this

>Make 10 dollars an hour worrying about a schedule in my days off
My time is worth more than that my dude.

Speaking of stolen motorcycles, if there is a deal that is too good to be true, is there any way to verify if a bike has been stolen.

Basically Ive found an HD 1991 FXR for like 1500 bucks, looks like its in good shape, he says he has the title.

But thats way too cheap for a bike like that.

>schedule
Works like uber, just open the app and take deliveries if your bored. Money when you want it, days off when you don't. Bare minimum is one delivery every three months.

Name of business? Sounds almost too good to be true.

Like I said, is not worth my time to be piddling around wiring about someone else's schedule for $10 an hour. I'm sure you enjoy it, but there's better used for my time when I'm not at work

Idk user I lane split on my cruiser pretty ok

He means plastics are broken probably fairings
Needs new gas tank and headlight..

It's called Postmates, easy as fuck to sign up and become a courier. What area you in in the US? I'll check the fleet map an see if your area operates.

I would do this if its available in SE michigan.
sounds like a great way to get paid killing time.

Not in the USA it's too bad because I'd be into that

We've been through this but even though scooters are mostly narrower it is not just the space between lanes especially in tighter streets like in cities if the traffic is too tight to filter such as two buses then a scooter or similar bike can turn far tighter than essentially any cruisers which can let you move around an obstacle in splitting a lot easier

Damn, 'fraid not. Though you could try something similar, Door Dash, Uber Eats maybe? I don't have any experience with those but it's worth looking into.

K. Well like i said, I lane split on my cruiser just fine. Thanks for that opinion though

Ill check somethings out man thanks
I never thought of delivering before.

If Bong, get Triumph. If Burger, get Yamaha.

srs guise how do i start this stolen biek
furze makes it look so simple

Get the fuel stabilizer INTO the carbs by treating your fuel, then running it for long enough (short ride will do) to fill the float bowls with treated fuel.

THEN drain the float bowls. Your low speed jet and emulsion tube would thank you if they could speak.

It's free. Grab it then inspect and fix or part out. Tanks are easy to swap and if the damage is only cometic, just ride the fucker.

>opinion request
I parked mine for the winter. It's in an unheated garage.

My prep was just new oil, lots of stabilizer in the gas, ran it until it got hot, topped the fuel up to the tippy top, removed the battery and left it under a breathable dust cover.

Think I'll really need to clean the carbs? My hope was the stabilizer would keep it from glazing between ~November 10th and early April, so about 5 months as well.

Should add that I added the stabilizer to a full tank, and only topped up with whatever it used to get to temperature (not much at all). Figured with more fuel in the tank there was less room for condensate and it might not break down as fast.

If he has the title, match the VIN to the frame stamping. It should also match the engine number but title follows frame, not engine, on FXRs.

Sounds like a scam but prices is high enough he may just be mad at it because no start.

If there's an ad, post it. No one on /dbt/ besides me knows anything about FXRs. You are safe.

Title should have no unreleased liens.

I'd haul ass to go look at it and I mean immediately because deals like that do happen.

Bring a bright light to see VINs, but don't sweat the condition for 1500 because the frame is worth that. Just grab the motherfucker and calmy split. BTW always immediately go to your DMV and transfer the title to your name so it's in the system, and get a hard copy printed on the spot to save in case the system fucks up. That saved my ass once.

FXR stamped VIN location is on steering neck, right side. Stamping is shallow and sometimes painted over. Pocket knife will reveal. VIN sticker on right front downtube near highway peg mount has VIN too. Sticker isn't legally required but if it's there bike hasn't been repainted. No one fakes those on FXRs.

If I don't answer you here, posting to Chop Cult is a good way to get answers as is the vtwinforum FXR section.

Any tech questions can be answered in the above forums. This is not an FXR forum.

I've had my 1988 since new. They are practical, comfortable rides and easy to work on.

People in Burgerland were lanesplitting on Harleys before anyone here was born.

I fill tanks and run to treat carbs with the stabilized mix, then drain them. Highly reliable.

You only need to clean a carb if it observably malfunctions such as bike requires enricher/choke to run after warmup or you have a "dead" cylinder.

Warm up bike. If runs fine, be happy. If not, and you don't have a temp gun, a very nice way to compare exhause pipe temps is to spray some very soapy water/dish detergent mix on the pipes about 4" down from the exhaust port.

You'll see a noticeable difference between live and dead or weak cylinders with this very old method. I learned it in the 1980s.