Has anyone done an engine conversion?

Has anyone done an engine conversion?

Looking at swapping my mk4 1.3 Fiesta engine for a Ford Puma.

Any tips?

>Has anyone...
A lot of people user. But you won't, because it's very difficult and costy. Also don't mod this shitbox, buy a decent car (not that I have anything against fiesta being a commuter car. It's just not made to be fast, and it would be costy to turn it into it.)

I am going to do it regardless, lad. Thanks for the advice though. I am confident in this having potential given the amount it has been looked after prior to me buying it -- feels brand new given it is a '99 model.

I have stripped seats and spare wheel and already notice a difference, let alone adding puma engine into it.

Does the engine drop right in?
Is there a well documented tutorial somewhere?
Have people done this before?
Do you need to fabricate your own engine mounts?
Do you need to make changes to the wiring loom?
Will it pass inspection?
Do you have the right tools/location?
Are you sure you want to sink money into a fucking fiesta?

Not OP, but the Puma engine is basically a larger displacement version of what's already in there. It should be relatively straightforward.

>Do you need to fabricate your own engine mounts
Nigga just cut some cast iron pipes
>Will it pass inspection
As long as it is not shaking, it should pass smog anywhere

>only inspection is about emissions

>Fwd
>potential
Wew laddy.

people have definitely done the swap.
did you come to Veeky Forums for advice on how to use google?
illiterate dickhead

Why so salty, you little cuck? If (((google))) had offered what I was looking for, would I try this shithole of all places?

Learn 2 logic before learning to use a Capital letter at the start of each sentence.

Fiesta-specific forums are gonna be a lot more helpful than Veeky Forums, mate.

I had a fiesta such as the one in the pic and used to lurk around fiesta clubs, I know of a few who did the swaps.

Supposedly it's literally bolt on as far as engine mounts go if you are swapping from a Zetec engine (1.2 and 1.4).
Endura engines such as your may have different mounts that you can't reuse, but the supports in the chassis are there and the engine fits just right.
The puma was based on the Fiesta chassis so the spaces are pretty much identical.

You need to also get the control module, the wiring harness, the ignition barrel and possibly even the original keys from the donor car for it to be an easy swap.
You should lurk around fiesta clubs, it's a popular swap and one that works, you'll find plenty of helpful tips.

yeah i used my logic and concluded you're too stupid to know how to use google
lol you thick twat, typical fiesta owning moron

>Puma swap on fiesta

IIRC, both 1.4 and 1.6 drop straight in.
VCT needs the ECU, loom and MAF sensor from the donor car.

well, MOT will also rev your engine to 2500(or half max RPM if lower than 5k) and check for major leaks, but that is all as far as the engine goes

True, but it never hurts to find that little gem of a post you can only get on 4chin.

Thank you very much. It will be a good beginner job for me. I should sell it on to someone for more than I paid, so I won't lose too many shekels.

i have an old civic (is 95 old?) that I picked up for like $600
know nothing about engine swapping but i looked into some b18s
is it common to spend more on engines or mods in general than what was spent on purchasing the car? didn't realize shit was so expensive, kinda turned me off

yes, especially on old ass shitboxes

>is it common to spend more on engines or mods in general than what was spent on purchasing the car?
if you're buying $600 cars, ~5% of the initial purchase price, do you expect everything else to depreciate by 95% to keep your broke ass happy?

I don't know what country you come from, but some places have so much bureaucracy involved in engine swaps that you may very well be unable to.make it legal.
Here in Italy, for example, swapping engines without having it approved by the equivalent of the American DMT equals to tax evasion with nasty consequences if caught, because taxes are paid by engine power so, using a more powerful engine than stock means you are evading taxies.

Also the process to make it legal is long and painful and most of the times such projects are outright rejected because nobody wants to take the responsibility to approve them, so you are.forced to go abroad, have it plates abroad, inspected in that country (usually Germany) and then brought back with Italian plates and special homologation as "one-of-a-kind" which is expensive as hell. So a €1000 project becomes a €4000 one because of all that shit.

That said, nobody here checks if the engine is the same so most people just don't have it inspected.

I spent £350 on my Feista and can get hold of a Puma for £150/400.

Only prob is tools and space but if you have them, what does it hurt? Gives you something to do and you can get your car moving about quicker with a spare engine to sell and a quicker car to move on for more than you paid for it.

if you're hellbent on doing it hen i have some good tips for you.

-make sure that the engine bolts right in to the tranny/gearbox
-you might want to drop the subframe because you have little clearance in that small engine bay.
-try to disconnect as few clips as you can and make sure to mark them
-i've heard that people on here have JB Welded their engine mounts in place. it should hold, knowing that you can lift a vw beetle with 92 of the stuff

this is going to be more trouble than it is worth but if you have the time and space for it then why not.
just ask if you need more info

of course not. I know/knew nothing about the value of car engines, I guessed that they'd be cheaper than $1k+ before I did any research

Why would it be more trouble if you don't mind me asking?

If I can get a cheap Puma, surely the only headache would be the manual work -- which is what I am wanting to do. I have the time and potential space soon, so I want something to think and work on.

Much appreciated on the tips anyway. I will look into as much as possible prior to getting the Puma.

>pic related

Is that your car?

honda engines are in high demand as they keep blowing up and need replacing

and they keep blowing up because people push them too hard?

no they're just hondas, it's what they do

the main reason i say it will be more trouble than it's worth is because it's an inexpensive econobox. i can't even count how often i stood over my project and thought "why the hell am i doing this". it would have been worth it if i got it running but doing a subframe swap from another car is really hard when bolts don't line up

it might be worth it to take the puma harness and swap it over to the fiesta. that's what i did and it's the reason i don't know anything about wiring. it's a shortcut that might lead to more mess but i don't know. if you're swapping out the tranny then make sure the halfshafts can reach the wheels

>Is that your car?
yeah, i swapped a 1.6 and an awd gearbox into it and got it running but i later realised i wouldn't be able to swap out the rear independent suspension for an axle so i threw that shitbox away and i'm in the process of swapping it into an older galant

sorry i have to go

Forums are always helpful with more in depth info go find a Euro Ford forum

>I should sell it on to someone for more than I paid, so I won't lose too many shekels.

You're in for a bad time. Unless you're doing it for gaining experience and having a good time, build to sell is never worth it, you will almost always lose money on the sell.

Same in Portugal, swaps are illegal, but what most do is swap engines that look like the old ones, and as long as it doesn't go ham on emissions you're good.
But like I said on financially alone it's never worth it. Take my example, I'm planning a C16SE swap on my Corsa only because I intend to keep it, would never waste time and money if I wanted to sell afterwards

Nah, there is always someone out there willing to pay for a quick run about car. Besides any money is better than none given the beauty I got for £350.