Are titanium lug nuts a meme Veeky Forums ?

Are titanium lug nuts a meme Veeky Forums ?

why would they be burnt?

'Cause dem rims are fire?

It is a meme if you want it to be one OP, like the ancient saying goes 'maymays are in the eyes of the beholder'

yep, weight is less important the closer you get to the centre of the wheel / hub

but what about durability? are they any better than regular steel ones?

bump

If your lug nuts are significantly weakened after a short period of time, it's not because they are made of steel and switching to exotic materials won't help.

i never had a problem with steel lug nuts

if its a question of rust why not just stainless steel lugnuts? Its just a way to throw more money at the car. Get them if youre a fuckboy with some 3000 dollar work wheels and you need to impress the goyim at the local scrape and vape meet.

Most oem lug nuts are chrome plated which provides excellent rust resistance.

This

>My Neon is best Neon because titanium lug nuts...

Good steel will generally be stronger and have better wear characteristics over titanium.

can anyone confirm this?

>ITT: the fox doesn't need titanium lugnuts, chrome plated ones are easier to reach

>good steel will generally be stronger
wrong, titanium has a higher strength to weight ratio
>better wear characteristics
*doesn't rust
*known for tolerance corrosion

>bonus round
*lightweight
*high heat resistance

Bullshit.
The rust builds up on the steel underneath the chrome and causes them to swell. Plain steel last longer because it doesn't have a chrome cap sealing in water. Here in the rust belt chrome gets pitted because of salt, causing it to look like shit anyways.

Yes. They're lighter than steel but don't actually need to be particularly strong so aluminum is lighter still. Plus, it's a lot easier to replace a stripped lug nut than a stripped stud.

nuts + studs in general are a fucking meme

That burned shit gotta stop. Same with burnt exhaust tips.

You need to see the whole assembly instead of just the nut. You get what's called galvanic corrosion where the more noble metal causes the less noble one to corrode.
And while titanium is stronger by weight, it isn't by volume.

Titanium is very close to the same strength by volume as steel, though the specific alloy makes a difference. This means that titanium lug nuts are the same strength as steel nuts, because you're not adding any volume to the threads. Titanium is less dense than steel though, so you will trim a few grams.

Sure on paper, but It is more complicated than that. I'm no expert by any means and the limited knowledge I have comes from the firearm industry verses the automotive one. Look into why the most essential parts of firearms are still made of steel and not titanium and you may get better info than I personally can impart.

Titanium is more brittle than steel, ductility is a very desirable property steel has

>wrong, titanium has a higher strength to weight ratio
Titanium is more brittle than steel, it is far more prone to cracking or shattering because it doesn't have the ductile properties of steel.

Why did you repeat my first 6 words?

yes, but a really cool one

Why not use copper/brass?

If you're buying titanium lugnuts off ebay they probably aren't actually titanium. Real Ti lugnuts are expensive and have to have super tight tolerances. You shouldn't even spin them off with an impact after breaking them loose because the heat can make the nut expand and gall the threads. I take them off and put them back on completely by hand. There's really no benefit to having them, there's no conceivable way you will notice a performance difference, you can't use an impact so they suck for a track car that you swap wheels on all the time, and a set of quality ones is $600+

As someone who's steel lug nuts rust to shit every couple years I like the idea. But it's still cheaper for me to buy new steel lug nuts every year instead.

Who said anything abut a chrome cap? What the fuck is a chrome cap? Nigger you are talking about plastic lug nut covers on hub caps aren't you?

>titanium
>fatigue resistance
Would not even consider.

Yes because any part of my car is going to get over 6,191°F.

Steel acorn nuts with chrome caps like pic related.
Commonly found on Chryslers (pre-Fiat) and Fords.

I bought gorilla lug nuts and they're pretty good, if for nothing else than color matching and a little added wheel security since they require a specific driver.

Depends a lot on the alloy.

Titanium has high fatigue resistance like steel. Aluminum does not, and it's still a suitable material for lug nuts.

>Prone to expanding due to the metal under the chrome rusting

Yeah, smart fucking idea...

Throw these away if you still can.

Titanium's type of strength is different from the type of strength you need for lug nuts.