Who pays for the damages in an accident involving more than two cars? Is it just the person that caused the accident...

Who pays for the damages in an accident involving more than two cars? Is it just the person that caused the accident, or doesn't everyone just get fucked?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/B0MxJkp7KsU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

insurance companies

There's a thing called "following too close." That means everyone who piled into the initial crash is also libel for damages. It could happen that one of the cars stopped, and got hit from the back and shoved into the crash before them, but that might be hard to prove.

It's pretty much treated like individual collisions. The insurance of the guy you hit goes after you/your insurance company. Your insurance company goes after the guy that hit you, and so on.

Interesting question.

I would imagine that the fault would be split somewhat equally unless there was clear proof of what led to the accident.

Whoever got fucked up the most pays the least, and vice versa.

Everyone involved in the accident is responsible except for the person in front because they didn't hit/rear-end anybody.

Everyone is going to claim that, though.

Is there a source on that gif? Looks fucking brootal.

Everyone would get rebutted with "you were driving too fast or too close to properly respond to the situation then" except for the guy in front
unless of course there is very distinct evidence, like cameras

As a highway technician, seeing that pic makes me rub my hands together. All that overtime just setting up cones then waiting for the police, fire squad, rescue squad, and wrecker crew to do their job. Easy money taking a nap in my truck.

Here ya go young blood.

youtu.be/B0MxJkp7KsU

if you are stopped in the middle of the highway and you cause a pile-up why wouldn't you be liable for damages? there is no parking stopping or standing on a highway and the minimum mph is usually 40 so you would have been breaking the law. When you rear end a stopped car the ticket an officer writes you says "striking a LAWFULLY parked vehicle"

>russia
kek, of course

>Fire squad
They're called Firefighters
>Rescue Squad
They're called paramedics
I have a feeling that you arent from the US, but seriously get your shit together.

Did you really expect anything different?

Good ol' dashcam. Never drive without one.

>Everyone is going to claim that, though.
That's why you get a front and rear dashcam with time/date markers. It makes it hard for those chronic liars to make you the guilty party. Be careful that the other people don't enter your car and snatch your dashcam in order to eliminate the evidence. That's happened before.

Lol what does he have to get together? He has a job and a truck unlike you, bus rider

In Massachusetts, the last person to hit the pile.

What do icy road conditions mean for these kinds of things? If there's black ice and cars/trucks slide all the way down the road regardless of braking distance is it the drivers fault still? I know it's rare that you will but I've seen enough YouTube videos to know it can happen. Do insurance companies ultimately take the hit or do they fuck the drivers up?

Rescue rigs are firefighters lmao, Engine Ladder Truck Rescue etc

Russian is like black, but wrong color.

Up to the police, judges and insurance companies to decided based on the evidence.

Friend of mine got involved in a accident with 4 cars, although a simple one.

He was waiting at a red signal. There was a car behind him that stopped very close to him. Another car that was very close to the second car too. And finally a car with a drunk fag that crashed at a high speed on the third car. The third car crashed on the second and the second on my friends car.

My friends insurance didn't pay anything.

Second car insurance payed 20% of my friends car repair, because the driver stopped too close and the damage could have been avoided if he wasn't tailgating.

Third car insurance also paid 20% of friends car repair + some percentage I can't remember for the second car, same reason as above.

Drunk driver car insurance paid 60% of friends car repair, some percentage of the second car repair and all the repair and hospital costs of the third car. Plus the driver got arrested.

How would you know that? Did baby hit a parked car while texting?

what bullshit is this? that's not how it works at all.

Typical greedy blue collar cuck

>if you are stopped in the middle of the highway and you cause a pile-up why wouldn't you be liable for damages?
usually people don't just stop in the highway. It's usually a breakdown, medical emergency, etc, which is perfectly justifiable. Therefore the guy in the back is at fault for not paying attention and following to closely.

>usually people don't just stop in the highway.
poor people do. Poor people are really shitty drivers.

>because the driver stopped too close and the damage could have been avoided if he wasn't tailgating.
That's fucking bullshit. If everyone stopped a single car length back traffic would be worse from all the wasted space.

There is a difference between a car distance away and hugging the bumper. Normally 1-2 meters distance is advisable, just in case someone does hit you in in the back.

Also, with that space it's easier to get going, as you have some margin for speed differences without needing to actually slow down if you're slightly faster.

You shouldnt put yourself in a situation where if the person in front of you were to suddenly brake and come to a complete stop, you would not be able to avoid them.