/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

acceptance edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of date. Alpha version available, expect issues if you use it.):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
Alpha: github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.43.05-beta1
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Macro
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>tfw a burly female dwarf will never dominate you and force you to pierce her dimple cup with your plump helmet

DFHack beta, which is just about done, and really won't need the "expect issues" stuff:
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.43.05-beta1

Are the skins out of date as well? I'm too casual for this shit

OP is updated.

The what? tilesets? Short answer: no. They're up to date, but the automatic installer ("starter pack") might not. No idea honestly.

Yea I don't mind the newb pack being out of date, the only thing I want are the tilesets

Reminder that the correct way to play Dwarf Fortress is with whatever graphics you want.
ASCII or Graphics, both are fine.
Squares or Rectangles, both are also fine.
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, because they are wrong.
There's also nothing wrong with posting screenshots of your preferred style in /dfg/. Again, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

What about custom css like dark themes in your Veeky Forums screenshots of funny /dfg/ posts?

Literally this. It's all about your imagination anyways
That being said
square ASCII masterrace

Fuck off cucks.

I'm not sure what that has to do with playing Dwarf Fortress at all

Square ASCII masterfailrace more like.

I'm part of that masterrace with you bro. Which set do you use?

Reminder to report and ignore this guy.

Dwarf Fortress will never be finished

This is a fact

Neither will the Linux kernel or Windows ever be "finished", what's your point?

Windows is finished for me.

>will never be finished
Welcome to the majority of games on the market

You're a good man, OPFAG.

Better than the Grinch at least.

21/2/10/10
Bah!

22/3/10/10

I read that webcomic and it's pretty fucking cool. I have to admit at first the sheer nearly appalling garishness of it made me shy away the first few times you posted images from it here. But it's really interesting/cool. How often is it updated?

A few times a week, usually wed/fri, sometimes sun/wed/fri, which is nice after the old week/two week/month periods we usued to get. It's big and silly and fun and maddeningly frustrating trying to get something as simiple as big fucking gods in charge of civs.

>tfw fell for the ranged weapon meme

Crossbows are my favorite weapon but they are so fucking useless in adventure mode I HATE IT

Throw them, or be sneaky and plink from far away, or be a flier, or climb up a wall and snipe, then skyhammer people off the wall (grab them > let go of the wall > BAM!) after they come find you.

Wait throwing bolts is a viable strategy?

Throwing lions is a viable strategy.

W-well yeah but lions are much bigger than bolts.

That's a lot of lions.

Yeah that's another thing, Lions aren't exactly a reliable source of ammunition. Although maybe as I level up my throwing skill, I could just similar large mammals.

Yeah but what if you throw them during the night?

Ah yes I understand completely now.

is it possible to rely entirely on throwing as your main combat ability?
maybe supplemented by some close combat martial arts/wrestling

what's with troggos and cage traps? it's like they run straight into them

meanwhile the cave crocs are surprisingly good at dodging them

I just tried to use throwing in a fight but the bolt only went for like five tiles before falling to the ground. I'm so disappointed, I thought they'd go super far if I got up to the talented level with throwing.

Where did you aim it?

You gotta breed lions.

>Where did you aim it?

At an enemy more than 5 tiles away, and I saw it appear on the floor a short distance from me, having never gotten near my target.

Was it copper? Are you a wimp?

MAN UP THADLEY, ELBOW DROP THE UNIVERSE UNTIL THAT BOLT PIERCES YOUR FOE!

What stats do I need to increase to up my throwing range?

Str/agi, probably kin/spa as well.
Sometimes a bolt falls short just from an inaccurate throw.

Nice thing is you can macrospam throwing bolts for skillups.

How do I make a macro?

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Macro

Oh thanks

Also

>tfw the mod I'm playing adds magic spells like fireball
>tfw I want to be wizard
>tfw fireball use is tied to throwing skill
>tfw the only way to play as a wizard is to be FUCKING JACKED

I use Taffers mainly, although I am taking a liking to CLA's square floors

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA
WHEN IS THIS FUCKING UPDATE GOING TO BE DONE
i bet the artifact release wont be done until July at least

That is likely. I also feel like July or August.
Don't hold your breath.

Reminder that one town in DF is bigger than an island in GTA3.

>GTA3
geez, a town in DF is practically more interactive than that thing

Of course.

And unlike the towns in literally ALL gta games and most gta clones, towns in DF actually make sense. Whenever I play gta games or gta clones nowadays, I'm always baffled by how an infinite amount of people can live in a town with so few residental buildings.

I also hate how almost all of those take place on islands which are geologically impossible. Pic related: why the fuck would a natural archipelago have such a perfect square shape?

I always thought they were supposed to be built islands, like those in dubai

That might explain Liberty and Vice City, but not San Andreas.

dorf

>tfw alone in the thread for two hours straight

Im lurking, dont worry senpai

When will computers become good enough that Toady can release his super secret version of DF that he developed in secret which lets you interact with the generated world intelligently like with an a.i.?
I heard they tried to run it on one of those CIA supercomputers that's the size of a small country but there still wasn't enough computing power.

When multicore support is added

There is no way to discover the size an tile at dwarf fortress.

Some tried to assume human walking speed is realistic and tried to find the tile size based at that, but you have all kids of conflicting stuff.

One thing toady should do is to decide what is the size of an tile, and then change the entire game to fit with this size.

Actually this should be the first thing he should do (after this patch), it would speed his deveopment process after it, but not having to guess stuff

>an tile

>he doesn't know

No need to get that salty. Most people here are ESLs, and you can't expect everyone to know English perfectly.

If you are a native English speaker, then mocking ESLs like that kinda makes you an arrogant cunt.

Not an argument

'never' takes less keystrokes to write user

he made a grammar mistake, you chose to be an anal cunt about it, despite grammar being completely irrelevant to what he tried to say.

I am an ESL myself and my main goal in life is to educate native English speakers on the difference between "awhile" and "a while".

DIIIIE PIIIIIGS

I'LL KILL YOU ALL

I'LL KILL YOU ALL

Not

An

Argument

nuffen eprsonel kiddo

That's gonna take a while.

I think it's "awhile"

I remember someone writing here that it's best to schedule a squad to only train for a month and then inactive for two and so on or they'll get exhausted.
I can't find anything about this on the wiki so can someone explain the optimal schedule to make a squad train, please?

Also another question, I have a walled-in werebeast in my hospital, will he eventually die or live forever and go mad like vampires?
Please respond.

If you can replace it with another adverb it is awhile.

Can you help for a while?
Can you help for patiently?

Just wait awhile.
Just wait patiently.

The second one.

it will live forever. if you want to use the hospital again, you'll just have to send in your militia just when he turns. (don't deconstruct the wall until he turns though, or he'll run right into your meeting areas/taverns/food stockpiles)

Thanks, I got super lucky since he was unable to walk so I waited for him to transform and afterwards just took everything out of the hospital and walled him in again but more snugly.
Does this mean that even if I lose all my dwarves in this fort except for this walled-in guy that migrants will keep coming?

Yes

But I don't expect him to last long

I had another fucking weremoose come to my fortress and now I walled in two more dwarves again.
Fuck I hate werebeasts the most out of all the monster enemies in the game.

So how the fuck do I make a godly army now?

Back in 40d I just drafted everyone as wrestlers and had them spar for years, then I gave them weapons and they spared and got their skills up super fast.

Have I been doing something wrong or is military not supposed to be so easy to train anymore? All my dwarves do is Individual Combat Drill, which only slowly trains up their assigned weapon. Can I train dodging and so on?

I don't really want to use danger rooms or other things I have to manually control

I've never played a gta game, but I take issue with the comparison you're making. While SOME smaller settlements in DF will have enough buildings to accomodate its population, they're the exception by far. If a city in gta has even a single medium-to-large apartment building, then it probably has a greater residential capacity than any city in DF.
DF is probably better than the gtas for a lot of reasons, but realism in building-to-population isn't one of them.

Why is this such a problem for so many people? I would've expected DF players to be more patient.
Just wait. They'll start sparring eventually. In a matter of seasons you'll have your click-here-to-kill-anything easymode military.

Because I've been playing since 40d and all the years after that I've never been able to train a godly army with the new system. Even for fortresses that have been set up and run for years.

>then it probably has a greater residential capacity than any city in DF.
Yeah, as it fucking should, considering GTA cities are supposed to be ultra-modern megacities. The DF towns are more sparsely populated.

Also, while DF towns may not have an entire house for every family, they still all have somewhere to go when they want to sleep.

Of course, the most ridiculous case is little Haiti in Vice city. It's a shanty town where the Haitian diaspora lives. You encounter and kill hundreds of gang members from there throughout the course of the game, yet all of them supposedly live in a few dozens of small shacks. Seriously, despite the shanty town consisting of thirty shacks tops, you encounter infinite people who supposedly live there.

WHY WON'T IT JUST DIE!?

vanilla DF combat is really unbalanced
Im trying oldgenesis changes to corporal tissues and its much realistic and deadly

>they still all have somewhere to go when they want to sleep
They all go to a few buildings and sleep in piles. And that's just the comparitively small number of citizens of a town that actually load when you go there; the abstract population of even a small town in DF is radically larger than its residential capacity.
I don't doubt that gta is absurd on that front, but DF is too. It's a video game convention that's necessary (for now, at least) with any game that tries to simulate a large open world.

gotes and botes bumping in harmony

Botes in dort fort when

when i stop fukin ur mom

multi-tile gotes when

can wyverns starve of bleed out? or drown?

ive got this wyvern trapped between two drawbridges and i want t know if it will ever be safe to go outside again (its the only way outside)

intredasting

Depends on the mod that added them. Wyverns aren't a thing in vanilla.
Things that aren't citizens of your fort can't starve or dehydrate (except in one or two special cases), and I don't think any mod can change that.

well, a desire that I wanted from the time I played adv. mode for the first time has been made real
I dunno how to feel

>I got a thing I wanted to have

Pretty sure happiness is the appropriate response.