Public Education History Sucks

ITT: Things you learned in high school history that turned out to be accurate

>julius caesar wasn't the first emperor of rome
>julius caesar wasn't even an emperor
>just now finding this out

Fuck me...

Know that Christopher Columbus guy?

Turned out to be a terrible person.

George Washington was never offered a crown to be King of the United States that he didn't accept.

hahaha who the fuck taught you that

Africans were the original Saxons.

really made me think / check my privilege.

Public school in rural Tennessee.

No, but there was a plot by some of his soldiers that wanted to overthrow the congress and install him as king. He sternly rebuked them.

This thread is now about bullshit you were taught in history class:
>Rome fell due to lead plumbing
>Native Americans lived in perfect peaceful harmony before the Europeans arrived
>Germany started WW2 because Hitler wanted to conquer the world
>In The Dark Ages everyone was fucking retarded and ate mud and basically nothing relevant happened for 1000 years.
>Byzantium did not exist (we weren't taught about it)

Communism doesn't work because it's never been tried.

I remember back in like the 1st-3rd grade (early 2000s) my teacher taught that the world was flat and Christopher Columbus proved it was round.

Also

>Natives were mainly killed by Whites due to actual murder
>US Civil War was purely about the moral question of slavery and all Confederates were slave owning evil racist scum
>American Revolution happened because taxes were too high and only because taxes were too high
>Hitler only killed Jews
>Rome fell because muh opulence and orgies
>Lol what are the Ottomans? (not taught)
>Portugal was never an empire (not taught)

The first ones were corrected and expanded upon later in high school thankfully.

Still feel like shit for not knowing who the Ottomans were for the longest time.

>"Before we begin the Islam unit, does anyone have any questions about Islam and its culture"
Who's the president of Islam?
What's the weather like?
Do Islams eat meat?

Yes that was the same for me, we were not even taught about the ottomans, not one word. Really weird. They had such an impact. Also:

>US Civil War was purely about the moral question of slavery and all Confederates were slave owning evil racist scum

This one is crazy, and also it's funny because you'll find people on this board who actually believe this.

Some of the worst for me were
>Franz Ferdinand kicking the bucket in Sarajevo was the only reason WWI started
>America would've stayed completely out of WW2 had it not been for Pearl Harbor
>The Soviet Union doesn't exist until they're the big baddies
>absolutely nothing happened in Europe between 1815-1914 (not taught)

Not once in 12 years of schooling did any history class mention Napoleon, outside of the brief footnote of the Louisiana Purchase. Based burger schooling.

The public schools must be nice over there.

>
to be fair militarily speaking pretty much fuck all did happen, things got so backwards that people were flat out refusing upgrades to military thought. It took that long for upgrades in tech like using gunboat torpedos and improved hull design, or stopping the use of attack cavalry, and even that only happened when the stubborn fucks who refused to upgrade got massacred

>>Portugal was never an empire (not taught)
How did you explain all the Portuguese-speaking countries currently in the world?

dont spread the "we wuz king aind shit" here

they dont teach germany having an empire in most places too, even germany, cause they want to forget

>Germany started WW2 because Hitler wanted to conquer the world

Why did he start WW2?

yo estoy a a eyaculo en tu madre

True, but I remember I did a talk on the colonization of Africa in 7th grade or something, and the kid's lexicon I used had a map with all the German colonies (as well as all the others)

>implying wars are the only important things

Also a whole bunch of shit happened militarily
>what is the steam warship
>what are bolt action rifles
>what are machine guns
>what is breechloading artillery

thats exactly what im saying though, those upgrades were designed but generally ignored by the stubborn commanders of the time till a good machine gun assfucking/torpedo-ing of "invincible" battleships to change tack

But I mean

At one point there were literally monarchists who wanted to crown Georgie in the continental congress, albeit a small minority.

And his soldiers literally wanted to pull an Oliver Cromwell on Congress when they wouldn't (read: couldn't) pay them.

Lots of shit on the founding fathers basically

>they were all united paragons of virtue participating in dignified debates about the future of our country

>Main focus of history (and literature class for at least a quarter) for 8 years was the Holocaust
>When I was younger, the meme that Jew soap/lampshades were taught, until it was quietly dropped
>Hitler only killed Jews, while also wanting to remove anyone from Germany/world that wasn't blue eyed/blonde haired
>American Revolution was caused by high sugar/tea taxes, farmers/common person revolted. Everyone in the 13 colonies sans Benedict Arnold were patriots.
>WW1 was only caused because Franz Ferdinand died

He has a nice tomb though.

this as well. It's a real shame.

>>American Revolution was caused by high sugar/tea taxes, farmers/common person revolted

This is... true? I mean, it was one of the larger causes and the lower classes absolutely got involved.

They implied that was the sole reason that the American Revolution happened. French Revolution wasn't even taught outside of AP European history, and the latter had a far larger impact on the world (Napoleon and independence of Latin America for example).

I think it was also taught that 5th of May/Cinco de Mayo was the independence of Mexico from Spain too, lel.

>Jews believe that every person is equal before God
Holy shit, they're not even trying to be subtle. Just taking a Christian tenant and claiming that's what the Jews believe? I know public school is bullshit, but come ON.

Oh yeah, that's absolutely wrong. The French Revolution being skipped over is also fucking retarded, we basically ignore everything outside of the US unless it directly involves the US.

From my limited experience with Judaism I was under the impression that this was true. An "everyone goes to heaven in the end" type deal was what the Jews believed in. Is that wrong?

Only if you're Jewish. It wasn't until the arrival of Christ that a New Covenant was formed with humanity to allow all people to enter heaven, not just Jews.

Also, just to inform you guys that retardation is not exclusive to public schools

>go to Catholic K-8 school
>literally didn't even know the Protestant reformation existed until high school
>Columbus proved the world was round!
>The pilgrims fled from "religious persecution" (with no details involved)
>the founding fathers were literally flawless
>the Conquistadors were a positive influence on heathen Amerindians

The amount of misinformation I learned in that school was fucking astounding.

Where else would you go? I thought the Jews didn't have a hell or any other afterlife besides heaven/purgatory.

>Where else would you go?
Purgatory. Paradise is reserved for Jews only. And before Christ joining the Hebrew covenant with god required making some pretty steep changes to your lifestyle. As an ethnoreligion converting to Judaism involved a lot more than just changing who you pray to and which temple you visit, there were lots of lifestyle changes you had to make and it also meant being accepted into the Jewish society.

Errr, my history teacher fucking loved history I guess and covered almost all the errors in this thread. He even tried having us sympathize with pre and throught WW2 Germany and as an American I can only imagine what one kid could do to ruin his reputation now a days. Only thing that stuck out to me was how rushed chinese history was to make room for other things. Its so bad I guess that most people I meet that also like learning history usualy tribute a game or movie to sparking their interest history while I'm usualy the boring one that says "my history teacher". I'm guessing this is because you guys all just had one "History" class that you learned all of history in and because of that it was mostly generalized?

Romolus Augustulus wasn't the last emperor.
He wasn't even the last Western emperor, Julius Nepos was.
Roman Empire actually died in 1453.

I see a lot of people complaining about stuff like "we were never taught about the Ottomans (for example). One thing that really hurts me is that we were actually being "secretely" taught about some of those powers, at leats me, but in a way that made it impossible to learn they existed.

So, for example, I was taught about the 30 years war and about the spanish war of succession, but not about the Holy Roman Empire. The teacher called it fucking Germany all the time. The same with the Ottomans, it was Turkeyand I had no way to guess that Lepanto was fought against an empire that spawned from Vienna to Baghdad. Napoleon was fighting Austria, but nobody explained me fucking tiny Austria was a giant empire at the time. And he was fighting Prussia, but nobody explained me what the fuck Prussia was and that it would become Germany. For those two examples, at least I was told later when we learned about World War I, but I'm sure nobody in my class would've ever learned that Austria was massive if they didn't have the nice detail of changing the name to Austria-Hungary before the Great War.

I mean not to defend public schools or anything but trying to explain the holy roman empire to 8th graders sounds like an exercise in frustration.

Just call it The Empire so the brats won't be confused by the roman thing and say it was in modern Germany and populated mainly by germans so they can know what's the deal with that empire.

>never taught about the Ottomans or Byzantium
What fucking school did you guys go to? I learned that shit when I was a freshman

One day russia had a revolution to oust their mean rulers and became communist
Literally nothing happened in russia prior to that aside from steppe warfare from the mongols

Literally all schools desu, I learned about Byzantium in art history when I was doing my non-obligatory pre-university education (I don't really know the equivalent in american/anglo version). And that's because the teacher wanted to teach the Ravenna mosaic, she didn't need to, it wasn't on the university access tests.

This too except because mongols didn't exist and therefore they couldn't fight Russia in case it existed in the middle ages (we don't know). Well I guess the russians also fought Napoleon with muh winter and the kaiser before Lenin.

I was talking to my younger brother whos in highschool about his classes and apparently, within one week of school he has already been exposed to john green and jared diamond in his history class

Even after that new covenant, Jews still hold the belief that only Jews go to the highest circles of heaven.

Non-Jews go to lesser levels of heaven, while wicked people first spend time in Gehenna, which is basically Jewish purgatory, before eventually moving up to heaven.

Man how could I forget about russia's winters that seem to slay armies by itself and Rasputin