>miata pics and vids
>miata feels
>miata questions and answers
>miata hair styling tips and tricks

FAQ:
can I fit?
>if you're under 6'2" and aren't overweight you can fit without modification

can I daily drive one?
>yes most people can daily drive a miata no problem. I have commuted in miatas for 3 years now

even in the snow?
>yes miatas can drive well in the snow. (with four snow tires) Just be sure to spray off your undercarriage afterwards

last thread: →

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tJAMBbsIPsk
farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets5.html
miataturbo.net/suspension-brakes-drivetrain-49/warning-take-fat-cat-motorsports-spreadsheets-grain-salt-71140/page2/#post1397495
miataturbo.net/suspension-brakes-drivetrain-49/better-bilstein-ebay-coilover-thread-78451/
miataturbo.net/suspension-brakes-drivetrain-49/miata-bushing-megathread-heirarchy-diy-delrin-dimensions-info-discussion-87573/
949racing.com/miata-race-alignment-info.aspx
miataturbo.net/general-miata-chat-9/anyone-have-any-brake-questions-81577/
forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=363284
blackartgraphics.com/pages/mx5-brake-bias-model
tceperformanceproducts.com/dual-bias-calc/
miataturbo.net/race-prep-75/tire-hierarchy-chat-76811/
miataturbo.net/race-prep-75/2017-tire-updates-200tw-crew-91658/
forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.php?p=5704021&postcount=24
forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=551662
forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=449286
lrbspeed.com/product-category/mazda/miata/
nashville.craigslist.org/cto/6030078406.html
miata.net/garage/stuckreverse.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

WOULD A MIATA MAKE A DECENT OFFROAD CAR

TELL ME

Any of you guys watched the Rudnick live stream? Surprised they even held the event given how fucking cold and shitty it was.

youtube.com/watch?v=tJAMBbsIPsk

No, but they might not be bad for rally with a lift kit.

Are the big brake kits worth it? Like the willwoods and shit?

Depends on what kind of offroading you want to do. Miatas are very popular in rallycross, and you don't have to lift them for that. If you want to go on trails with the big boys in jeeps then you'll have some trouble keeping up even with the 3" lift kit.

what if im 6 foot 4 and 300lbs tho

Here's some reading material if you want to make your car better without just buying the entire Flyin' Miata catalog, or just learn more about stuff. Enjoy.

>Suspension
farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets5.html
miataturbo.net/suspension-brakes-drivetrain-49/warning-take-fat-cat-motorsports-spreadsheets-grain-salt-71140/page2/#post1397495
miataturbo.net/suspension-brakes-drivetrain-49/better-bilstein-ebay-coilover-thread-78451/
miataturbo.net/suspension-brakes-drivetrain-49/miata-bushing-megathread-heirarchy-diy-delrin-dimensions-info-discussion-87573/
949racing.com/miata-race-alignment-info.aspx

>Brakes
miataturbo.net/general-miata-chat-9/anyone-have-any-brake-questions-81577/
forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=363284
blackartgraphics.com/pages/mx5-brake-bias-model
tceperformanceproducts.com/dual-bias-calc/

>Tires
miataturbo.net/race-prep-75/tire-hierarchy-chat-76811/
miataturbo.net/race-prep-75/2017-tire-updates-200tw-crew-91658/

>NA Power
forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.php?p=5704021&postcount=24
forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=551662
forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=449286

Mind if I shill my buddies company? He makes alot of aero parts for miatas.

lrbspeed.com/product-category/mazda/miata/

I'm 6'4 and 260. I wonder how much modification I would need to fit.

I am 210 @ 5'7 and I am starting to kinda max out the lateral space I have (at least comfortably).

i can drive a 2007 civic and a Chevy sonic with no discomfort. are miatas far smaller than subcompact cars interior wise?

really want an na miata as a project car because dem pop ups and rwd

NA Miata is about 20% smaller driver's space than 07 civic. Mostly in headroom and steering wheel height.

the biggest issue you're going to have isn't but just managing your legs. its gonna be right up against the window roller, right against the steering wheel, up against the console, etc....

try it

i guess i can just drive with no roof :(

head is about 2 inches from the roof in my civic

Why not get an s2k instead?

Because the NC is a better vehicle and usually cheaper, probably.

>But the NC is the worst Miata!
Sure. But what does that say about the S2000 when the NC is objectively superior?

don't be delusional

Unless the s2k is a salvage, there is no "usually" about it. NCs in great shape can be had for under 6k

I'm not. As I've pointed out many tines before, the only advantage that the S2000 has is power from 6,800-9,000 RPM. There is no other metric in which the Miata loses: it's lighter, it's stiffer, it handles better, it's more comfortable, it has more power at any given RPM up to 6,800, it has more usable storage space due to a larger trunk opening and more rectangular trunk space, it's available with a retractable hardtop, and it even has more power potential due to being able to bolt in an Ecoboost engine with the only change necessary being a firewall modification to accommodate the HPFP.

The delusional people are the Honda fanboys who think the S2000 is somehow better than the NC, when it was barely a match for the existing NB Miata (based on a decade old platform) when it was first released.

>tfw a squirrel chewed a hole through your NA's soft top and a new top costs you a cool $1500

Listen, I am as big of a Miata fanboy as the next, but the S2000 for all intents and purposes is better than a Miata. It retains virtually all of the handling characteristics, suspension geometry, and all in the same roadster package. Oh, and it produces double the power while also revving to 9k.

But that isn't the point. The car costs 2x-3x what a NA/NB/NC does and can easily be matched by simply adding a turbo to the equation

I was at this event. jfc I have never been so cold in my entire life. It was around 15 degrees but felt like -5 with the wind.

the only Miata there that could perform well was this K20 swapped one

>tfw no bumper cut

nice.

How impractical is a miata as a daily driver if I don't regularly have passengers during work and my buddies have sedans so we ride those as a group.

How slow is the NA vs NB?

How expensive is it to add power to a miata?

NC vs S2000 is a bit less clear cut. For what I've put into my NC I could have had a S2000 (though I'd probably end up spending more on mods on the S2000 too). I'm about 20% down on power, but to me things like having a retractable hard top whilst still being lighter and the other stuff that mentioned more than make up for it.

One big difference is that the S2000 is considered a modern classic and has been appreciating in value. But then the question is should I prefer that car just because other people prefer it.

I do like the S2000 digi dash though.

- Pretty practical. Dailying my NA for half a year and couldn't complain.

- Both are slow but NBs 1.8l engine has somewhat more power

- Cheap if you use stickers only

Been dailying my NA for the last few months and honestly have no complaints. I am a manlet so the stock seat is super comfortable for me. Despite the age of the car, there is no insane rattle or shakyness on the highway. Plenty of passing power if needed although I just chill in the slow lane at about 70mph. I sit at around 3.5k-4k rpm in 5th and it's not unpleasant at all.

My biggest complaint right now is that the wind noise with the soft top is pretty bad so it's difficult to listen to music. I really want to add a hard top soon which I hope will reduce wind noise and will also add a little rigidity which will help on windy days.

any good looking bodykists for na or nb?

Hardtop won't do anything for stiffness. It will help wind noise a bit, but adjusting or replacing your window seals will do more.

There's a couple of great unibody kits out there.

anyones that preserve streetability and the soft top?

Not really, no.

how about a detatchable windshield on a stock body?

Hey guys, do you think this NA is too much? Miata prices in Tennessee are kinda fucking weird.

nashville.craigslist.org/cto/6030078406.html

is this worth it and how would i fix this shitty capote

>is it too much

what?! thats perfectly priced. I'd offer $3k and work from there.

What type of areo/body kits are you looking for? Like pic related which is perfect if you are looking for that aggressive japanese drifter style.

looks like dogshit
the miata is all curvy, they just taped a lip all around

I guess you could buy this car, but you'd probably prefer a brand new Porsche for that price.

and thats your opinion you are entitled to. ;)

And windshield off.

this would be a Miata with a lip all around it.

But of course you wouldnt know that because you are an idiot.

that is a pretty good price. because its a Tennessee car, i am willing to bet it has minimal rust (if any) which is a good thing. i personally hate that color but there are some autists that go ape for that british green + tan interior combo

offer $3k no beeswax tell him youll take it immediately wont even test drive it

Are NBs that bad? Its the only mx-5 I can get in my country with an LSD within my budget

No. Why would you think that?

NB's are literally better than NA's in every way shape or form

t. NA owner.

buy an NB and enjoy it.

Nope, go for it. Also NA owner here. Biggest reason I had for NA was turbo build and local emissions laws meant the older car is 100% immune and legal. Newer NB would be no good and have to pass emissions and I would have to rip out the Megasquirt to replace with the stock ECU every year. Lots of mods people have to do to the NA are just stock on the NB.

Protip: don't rely on CL ads that say "LSD" in them. Look up what trims came with them and how to identify those trims. LSDs are very common on several years of NA.

Pls guise

>Outside
>Top is up but not latched, presumably broken
Maybe, do you live in a desert?

>Mid Italy
Might as well be
Never snows, but rains sometimes, can It be easily swapped?
I like the convertible, but otherwise i can find an hardtop on the cheap
>also, i'm 6'3". Will i fit?

>also, i'm 6'3". Will i fit?
It will be tight. Your forehead will definitely be at the height of the windscreen frame unless you modify the seat.

>another week of rain

I just want my convertible feels.

Dunno
I fit in a yaris
I can't imagine a more tight car

>mfw clutch kick on gentle corner with cold tires

try fitting in a caterham
makes the miata look spacious

>$1500 for a soft top
u wot m8. That's even beyond scalper prices for hard tops. Is that in canadabux or something?

Are NA miatas increasing in price?

Slightly, but that might just be my area

Just shut the fuck up. You have no idea what kind of bullshit I am dealing with here in New England. I patiently sat through the bitter days of February expecting Spring to hit at the beginning of March. The last week of February we got hit with brutally warm weather (65-70F) and I sincerely believed that winter was over.

You know what happened next?

The biggest assfucking I've seen in the last 15 years I have lived here. The weather took a straight nosedive down into the sub 20F with insane wind chills and it's been like this since the beginning of March.

Most of the salt was washed away from the roads from the rain but they just salted the fucking shit out of it again now that we have 14 FUCKING INCHES OF MOTHER FUCKING NIGGER SNOW COMING TOMORROW FUCK YOU GOD YOU PIECE OF SHIT AND NOW THE WEATHER FORECAST AND MY HOONING IS FUCKING ALL LOOKING LIKE SHIT

I really wish I was somewhere else. It's always cloudy here and cold as fuck.

You gotta get out to Nevada man. It's just beautiful, temperate, and consistent weather year round. It certainly gets cooler in the winter but nothing like New England. You have every type of road a man could possibly dream of. Flawlessly paved, unscathed, wide open desert straights or the twisty roads of the grand canyon, hoover dam, or mt. charleston.

After this year of university I'm either going down to Maryland or Georgia, which should make it a lot better. Since I'm an AeroEng major, I'll probably find myself in the DC metro area or out west in someplace like Nevada, which is comforting.

not the person you replied to but I am also from New England ( Connecticut) and what to move out West

where in Nevada are you from? Maybe I'll say fuck it and get a job at the Tesla Factory.

I am not from Nevada but I visit the Las Vegas area several times a year and have been to the Reno area a few times as well which is where the Tesla factory is located. Both are great areas to live for car enthusiasts but you'll have to learn to deal with the desolation of the desert landscape and literally the same weather year round. Day in, day out, it's just the sun in the cloudless blue sky.

Probably not a good area to live by yourself without knowing any friends/family nearby

>Probably not a good area to live by yourself without knowing any friends/family nearby

What a weird way to think. Why is it not a good idea for you?

Personally I dont get to see family much rn and I make friends easily wherever I go.

>same weather year round
We have 2 seasons (FUCKHOT SUMMER and winter) broken up by mini-season buffers of perfect weather and/or lots of fucking rain. Also the drivers here are truly awful, but if you're from the northeast you're probably used to daily vehicular near-death experiences already.

Is there a way to wind down the electric windows with no power in a mk1? Looking online just keeps throwing manual to powered upgrade guides.
Would it just be a case of removing the door cards and pushing it down by hand?

This, I love my NB.

I honestly just want to lower it a tad and then do autox, that's it. The clear coat is so ugly but the car itself is pretty low mileage. I love this car more than anything

Getting a miata to learn 5 speed on hopefully this week :)

I'm so excited yall!

Yeah, probably. The electric motor's don't like to be worked backwards though, so you might as well slide the window out of the rail

>that license plate
>not a baka

Should I buy a miata or an AW11 for the same price but the MR will need a paint job and rust control

You should be able to find a much nicer aw11 for the price of an average NA.

From experience I can tell you that any kind of "rust control" is the worst fucking thing to do. It's difficult, annoying, and easy to fuck up. Never start with a rusted out chassis. If it's a body panel or whatever that at least can be replaced. In any case, stay away from rust.

>the MR will need a paint job and rust control

Well no, actually for a running and in order but with body issues AW11 you have to pay around 7K€
You can have a Miata NB in great condition for 5k€

Yeah plus there's something more, I'll have to find a drivetrain and an engine+gearbox for the AW11

Why though, in a few years the MR will value much more wouldn't it ?

damn miatas in America are expensive
In the UK I can get a decent NB for like 1k

So i have a problem i just put a 1.8 in my NA6 and it won't crank at all i hear the fuel pump priming and when i try to hear for the starter clicking i just hear fuel overpowering it, so i can't really hear anything how can i just check the starter easily i already tried smacking the shit outta it, the starter has been sitting for a month without use please help spring breaks here and i wanna take my miata to the beach before its over :(

I'm looking at a miata, but it needs extra force getting out if reverse, should I go for it if I'm broke and won't be able to fix tranny?

Also forgot to mention it's an NA

>extra force getting out if reverse
Are you fat, forklift? elaborate what does this mean, you needa thrust it into gear? or higher rpms?doesn't want to go into reverse? grinds?

I don't know about the US but I live in France and Japanese cars are overpriced and rare here because of a ban during the 80's - 90's

Seller didn't say. Just says it has trouble getting out if reverse and would need extra force

Reread, he just said it gets stuck

if it does get "stuck" and its a 1.6 it might just be the reverse light switch problem and its a easy fix

How would I go about fixing that and how would i ask the seller if that's what it might be. It's a 91 with I think a 1.6, and they said it has a new clutch and was rebuilt.

It's a 1.6, right? The early transmissions had a problem where they could slip a fork and get stuck in reverse, and the dealership fix made pulling the car back out of reverse really stiff. It won't cause you any other problems, just give it a good whack to get out of gear.

Yeah, it's a 1.6. so if it needs extra push to get out of reverse when shiftedto I should be good and not worry about my tranny crapping out?

miata.net/garage/stuckreverse.html
if your saying this it's probably not the above problem then if it just needs a extra "push"

Yeah, that just means it has the preventative fix done by the dealership. Apparently it's questionable how effective the fix is, but the actual problem itself is fairly rare and it's unlikely that your transmission would be affected if it's gone this long without shitting itself.

Yeah that doesn't seem to be like anything he's talking about.

Alright so if I get it I should be good, and just probably have some muscle building.

No, it is.
>The deletion of these washers is a factory attempt to increase the detent spring force by increasing the compression of the detent spring.
If you ease it out of reverse slowly it can get stuck in reverse. The fix tightens up the reverse detent so it's impossible to ease it out, you have to slap it out.

Yeah, just give it a sharp whack with the heel of your palm. You'll get used to it.

Sweet. Thanks.

It's probably the battery. If it's the the battery, you wired in the starter wrong. If it's not the wiring, you have a bad starter.

Have fun!

I have a miata that I bought for 1000 bucks. It's shit but drives. What do to make it rally ready? I wanna tear shit up. Also how do you dry the seats. They're soaked