10/10 Architecture

10/10 Architecture

Depressingly ugly

Cool

Ew

>ew

exactly

>it's an 'everybody post gaudy fascist crap and hypermodern metal tumors' thread

i swear to god there's a level in a ps1-era Tomb Raider game based on this place

It's a timber framed shack but damn do I like it.

What are those even?

imam mosque in iran

Does anybody ever long to see architectural styles that don't currently exist?
I would love to see a building that blends Japanese architecture and California Mission style. It would be comfy as hell.

yes. and would definitely love that combo

Architecture doesnt necessarily have to be buildings, you guys should explore this

what do you mean?

Everyone shits on brutalist architecture but still find something strangely attractive about it.

Brutalist architecture is one of those things that it's so ugly that it's good.
I like the ideas and concept behind it if they just used different materials or something.

then design something mate
don't let ur dreems be dreems

The funny thing is i actually am trying to build a model to get a rough idea of what it would look like.
Problem is while my field (urban planning) is heavily familiar with and connected to architecture. I am not an actual architect.

Nigger are you even trying?

That doesn't stop us architects from pretending to be urban planners, keep at it and good luck

the problem is mainly the materials usually used, iirc a lot of Brutalist structures use really cheap concrete that wasn't meant to last and so it by now most of them have been weathered down and have been discolored by these really garish stains due to rain along side attracting moss

it just doesn't age well at all so with the rundown appearance coupled with the aggressive design it just depresses most people

I find the movement interesting, but I think it's a terrible choice for say government buildings that the general public has to interact with everyday and act as a monument/landmark meant to inspire

Neoclassical is fucking dogshit. It's such a fucking tryhard, tacky architectural movement for unimaginative nationalists.

Art Deco imo is probably the most aesthetic architectual movement, along with Art Nouveau.

Brutalism can look absolutely fantastic, but a lot of Brutalist projects come off as sterile and ugly as fuck. I honestly think that Brutalism looks better from the interior, than exterior.

for some reason I find this image incredibly disconcerting

Look up Mies van der Rohe for a minute and you might figure out why neoclassical architecture is so bloody important.

Bauhaus and early modernism are absolutely stunning by the way and often misunderstood, although I do agree art deco is perfect in every way (and that art nouveau comes pretty close to that).

Brutalism is monolithic, a monument to structure and power. People often underestimate it. It has "ruin value" without being ancient, it manages to look "out of time". So many qualities.

>collapse

>fucking radio tower got build anyway

nice detail

I want to build an alt history setting where WW2 developed into a cold war instead of ending just to have a world seperated into Art Deco, Nazi, Italian fascist and Soviet architecture, and by Soviet I stuff like Palace of Culture and Science and Karl Marx Allee. I don't even have any stories to tell with it, just think it would be cool. Looking at the world and be able to discern who rules where and with what ideology just by looking at their buildings.

>Look up Mies van der Rohe for a minute and you might figure out why neoclassical architecture is so bloody important.

I understand architectural history, I just personally find Neo-Classical tacky shit and basically "We wuz kings n shieeet" the architectural movement because that's generally how it's used.

The whole point is to use simple concrete, as a form of honesty, purity and effectiveness (in particular as a government message) however with new tech many of these can be restored and added protective layers to keep the concrete in good condition. You keep the concrete and the wear and tear but without compromising the building.

Pic related a brutalist classic in a tropical, very humid country that receives proper maintenance, the angle of the pic is a bit bad tho.

Those are in Uzbekistan not Iran
Samarkand

nvm I lied looks similar tho

That's breathtaking, where is it from?

Because the Timurid empire was a persianate and samarkand was (and is) mainly a tajik city.

I think the same holds true for any architectural style that begins in "neo" or ends in "revival"

I find central-european baroque & rococo to be the comfiest shit, though

>I just personally find Neo-Classical tacky shit and basically "We wuz kings n shieeet" the architectural movement because that's generally how it's used.

Then you've forgotten the point of neo-classical architecture, which is to return to a time tested formula, such as modest forms, human proportions, and 'non-useful' details.

Often, the optimization you see in modern architecture serves absolutely no purpose, other than to make buildings bland and ugly

thats basically whats the world looks like prior to western dominance / colonisation

>to return to a time tested formula, such as modest forms, human proportions, and 'non-useful' details
you're talking about proper Neoclassical, i.e., 1750-1800

I think what he is talking about is the later 1800-1900s "neoclassical" (not capitalized) stuff, which is the exact opposite of what you just mentioned. that stuff is indeed super tacky and nationalist

>optimization
>serves no purpose
literally what are you trying to say? do you not know what optimization means?
>its purpose is to make buildings bland and ugly
wow, so basically you're just retarded and have no argument. nice.

>also gonna post some more nice baroque so my post isn't just arguing

but we was kings
before modern architecture, architecture is seen as vital part of a nation civilisation, and supposed to express certain moral value
modern architecture is form follow function and ignore the notion of meaning in architecture, everything is sacrificed for function

past architecture: form follows meaning
modern architecture: form follows function

there's some exception to this, mostly on religious architecture which of course have to touch people heart, but aside from that, architecture these days are either utilitarian corbu's box or curvy gehry's crap

This is best

Deal with it

That is nice, but this is better

>tfw conservative but like modern architecture
its a weird kinda feeling

imagine the condensation in a building like that

>1681500

Height of western civilization

>2016
>falling for the Futurist meme

At least you're not posting Le Corb

I like this style best.

Best castle coming through

>all that incredible wooden/earthen architecture throughout history that we'll never see or even know existed
Bad vibes dude.

where is that?

Shingle style best style. It's as good as residential architecture gets, plain and simple.

I seriously want to attend that church.