Used 4x4 Truck

I need a 4x4 pickup that will be my 2nd car.
Budget $7K. Have been looking between Ford Ranger and Dodge Dakota. Never owned a truck before, any tips/advice appreciated.

Here's one I was looking at:
chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ctd/6039613915.html

Other urls found in this thread:

chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/6032658323.html
youtube.com/watch?v=OmefDEgbka8
youtube.com/watch?v=nTkktsSpaz0
youtube.com/watch?v=y6q5DmcVPek
ourismancdjalexandria.com/used/Dodge/2002-Dodge-Dakota-9f7cdd450a0e0ae73edd85545b0109b7.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_PowerTech_engine#4.7
youtube.com/watch?v=1iTAFcygLyU
youtube.com/watch?v=J6m7cd9fWDo
youtube.com/watch?v=0FBq7C1qYkE
youtube.com/watch?v=BLT0sudAGtU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>another burgerfat wanting a truck

just die already, we all know you arent going to use your truck for work related purposes. (no loading your groceries isnt "work related")

Just get a small corolla, or if you need something big get a old explorer or minivan and shut up. we don't need another faggot with a truck in this shithole country.

why do you need a truck? why do you "need" 4x4?

He wants a small pointless truck anyways.

If you buy a Dakota expect the whole front end being shot before 100k.

>Ranger
Don't play yourself with that piece of shit car, get a silverado with that kind of cash

>Ranger
>built to be thrown away
>Dakota
>transmission issues the truck

My current car is a SLK250... so I need something to be able to handle snow.

chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/6032658323.html

Get snow tires

Avoid 2005+ Dakotas. They're trash. Older first and second gen Dakotas are good though.

As for trucks, I'm hesitant to recommend the Ranger because everyone I know who's had one just had problems over and over.
I would look at the Ranger though, the Chevy Colorado, or GMC Canyon. Bonus points for the 5 cylinder (3.5L or 3.7L) or V8 (5.3L) engines.

>so I need something to be able to handle snow.
Why not Subaru?
They're popular up North for a fucking reason. Go anywhere in the Northern US, and the things are fucking everywhere.
youtube.com/watch?v=OmefDEgbka8

Subaru even has their fun and sporty models like the Legacy GT, Forester XT, Impreza WRX, and Impreza WRX STI.
So you can keep your manhood.
youtube.com/watch?v=nTkktsSpaz0
youtube.com/watch?v=y6q5DmcVPek

get a civic for 3k as your winter beater and get snow tires.

Not OP, but gonna hijack his thread.

I'm in the market for a used truck under $10k. I found this: ourismancdjalexandria.com/used/Dodge/2002-Dodge-Dakota-9f7cdd450a0e0ae73edd85545b0109b7.htm

Why shouldn't I buy it?

it's a chrysler product
it's a shitbox at a dealer
shit mpg

>Magnum V8
That should make it either the 318 5.2L or the 360 5.9L.
In either case, a great reliable engine. I say go for it.

according to the VIN, it's actually the 4.7L. Wikipedia says it made some top 10 list in 1999. I think I'm still gonna buy it assuming I can haggle the price down a grand or two.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_PowerTech_engine#4.7

The Vin says 4.7, but the Magnum name shown in the small picture of the engine bay says 5.2/5.9.
Either way should be a good engine, but IIRC, the 4.7 has no aftermarket support if that's what you want.

that's interesting, thanks

>wanting to get stuck in anything over 6 inches
Wew

the only reason it's priced that high is because of the low miles, which means it won't be as long until shit starts falling apart, for that money I'd rather buy a tacoma or tundra with higher miles

Suburban

I have the 2001 version of that truck. $10k seems pretty high for it. If you test drive it, turn hard a few times and see if the front end is fucked. The 4.7 is pretty decent and it's a pretty good hauler so far but I've only put a few thousand miles on mine in the 2 years I've owned it.

>Subaru
>stuck
pick one.
youtube.com/watch?v=1iTAFcygLyU
youtube.com/watch?v=J6m7cd9fWDo
youtube.com/watch?v=0FBq7C1qYkE
youtube.com/watch?v=BLT0sudAGtU

It's a 4.7. From the article:
>They are also known as Next Generation Magnum in Dodge applications.

That and the coil packs gave it away. Pic related.

Is this nigger serious?
I can youtoob vids of stuck subarus too.
Its usually the most stuck car in my area because people are stupid and over confident in their AWD. When the reality is the ground clearance is too low.

>busriding eurotrash shitposting in a truck thread
Just another day on Veeky Forums.

They plow the roads don't they? If they don't where the fuck do you need to go?

the 4.7 is a slow gas hog and the v6 is a dog. guy at work just bought a v6 4x4 dakota like op's pic and all i can say is why?

my late father's truck was a lowrider 4 door red dakota before the edgy faggot last gen design and while it was fun to drive, it wasn't much of a truck. we replaced it with a ram 2500 (5.9) which gets the same mpg as the old dakota and can actually haul a 5th wheel camper without breaking a sweat.

my bad it's the hemi 5.7 not the old magnum 5.9, idk wtf i was thinking. the magnum 5.9 wasn't much more powerful than the 4.7.

The 4.7 is damn near literally Russian roulette. They are either pretty good or total shit.
If it ever gets hot, no even a bit above warm, expect head issues. Either warping, cracking, or dropped valve seats.
The 545rfe transmission extremely tough though.

I had a 2004 Dakota. I sold it with a little over 200k miles and it was trouble free. It currently has 250k+ miles and remains trouble free. It was. 2wd 4.7. I had a 4.7 in a jeep that is dig shit

I would get a nissan frontier or 5.3 GM pickup.

Rangers are great trucks OP. Very easy to fix and you can get them a hell of a lot cheaper then a dodge. Just get the 4.0l.

Had mine for 5 years. Nothing but minor repairs. Pigs on gas though.