I'm starting college at 21, is it too late?

Going to college late?

> be me
> 20 y/o
> just about to start college, May '17
> economics/politics degree with minor in CS

> Is it too late to start college Veeky Forumsbros?

I feel I am way more mature now with my thinking style, and that I can form better arguments, have better talking points, overall just more "evolved" than I was at 17/18 like my friends who went at that time.

Will it be hard for me to succeed since I'm starting late?

Thanks Veeky Forums, been lurking since 17, learned a lot of neat stuff, and read countless college threads, finally asking my most pressing question.

Canadafag btw.

Other urls found in this thread:

zerohedge.com/news/2016-12-21/college-student-earns-40-gpa-then-drops-out-you-are-being-scammed
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is it a Bitcoin college?

Not sure what that means, but it's a university in Southern Ontario Canada.

You can roll your eyes all the time anybody says anything and constantly remind people that you're WWAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY older than them and definitely not a huge fag

What university are you going to? York? U of T? Ryerson? Waterloo? Brock?

You're not starting uni late as I'm sure you've heard people go back to improve their education in their late 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's. I have single mothers in my program.

One thing I can say though is starting uni at 21 may impact on your school work ethic. It may become sluggish and slow overtime compared to younger individuals. You may seem not to care as much anymore. When your younger, you're able to go through the education system a lot easier. As you grow older your thinking changes and you start thinking about things other than school (i.e. money, job, family, girlfriend, car, future). When you're 18 going into uni, you don't think of that stuff very often. That's what I've noticed going into uni at 20.

Brock

And I see, yeah, my 'rents are pretty dope, don't have to worry about a car or house, all the way till my Masters even

But I agree, some things in some classes may become too immature, or things could move too slowly for me but the right pace for younger people, makes sense.

So did you go to one of these uni's too, and was it recent or has it been a while?

I wouldn't worry about it OP.

I stayed in halls with 5 other guys in my corridor ranging from 19 to 25, we all got on like a house on fire. It was fucking great. There was no issue in age, degrees ranged from power engineering to pure mathematics. No one judged on the age, whether someone was acting like a cunt was more important.

A friend of mine went back to university at the same time as I did - he was 30 with an applied math degree, he shared with a 50 y.o. man and another 30 y.o + two younger guys. I've seen old people in my science classes before - like 'white hair' old - but I had NEVER at that point seen a 50 year old staying in student dorms. I think that was a bit too far, but those old folks in my class were based as fuck and helpful (fountains of knowledge) and great chat.

I would worry rather about the type of degree you are doing as opposed to what age you are, remember you're going there to become something out of it and not primarily for the bantz (although that too). So no one cares.

It's never too late.

But I strongly recommend not going back to get an Econ degree.

Yeah - to add to this, choose something more practical like finance w/ economics, unless you've got really good contacts. Some mixture of finance, accounting courses with economics thrown in (rather than having it as a major) should open a shit tonne of jobs for you than vice versa.

Nice.

Your parents helped you buy a car?

If not, as you grow older you see these things as a necessity (car, home, girlfriend, friends, going out, money etc).

When you're a little bit younger you don't care as much. I noticed this going through uni start at the age of 20.

I'm in my final year at Guelph and I'm turning 23. But I'm deciding to do my final semester part time while I work full time.

In terms of classes, even your work performance will become slow. You won't care to try as much especially on papers or on tests.

In the real world, a degree is just a piece of paper and is only to help you land a decent job. Nothing more.

Yeah, I mean it's not "mine", we have 2 cars for a 4 person household, but we'll buy a third one when I start I think.

I see, so now knowing this, I should be able to focus more on things than before.

I lovvve Guelph, just a little too far for me, otherwise it would probably have been where I was going. Their Biomed program was very cool

It's a combined degree with Politics & Econ, plus I'm going to do the minor in Computer Science, but yes, I like Finance and I will definitely tailor my program to Finance as well as network for a Finance job

I do have connections to places as well!

50 year olds change careers and go to college now, i'm thinking 21 is probably okay

I've recently graduated, and from my experience, older people in my classes cared more. They valued education to a higher degree than everyone else. And when I say older I'm talking 30s, going back at 21 isn't old at all.

i disagree

when you are young you think about your free time more and have less value for education (because you go through one system to another)

when you grow old you understand how important education is.

Na go to a CC load up 15-18 units a semester since classes are a joke. Xfer with 70-80 i for get the max. doable in about 2 years. Go to uni/state, pick a ez degree like business or liberal arts. grad with 120 units in a year and half.

I graduated in 4 years with a total schooling cost of like 12-15k. Just paid for it with my own money no debt. Was 20 or 21 and graduated before some of the people who went there out of college who spent easily over 50k and are in debt.

But now we have a degree from the same place and you can just say u went there and not the CC.

meant to say 20 when I started and left at like 24.

Well at least if you have something to drive daily, pick up friends and girls with, you're fine.

Staying at home is fine too.

Guelph is good. Has it's ups and downs. Nice girls here though.

Main point is that you start focusing on other important things.

Not to say education isn't important. Just more important things to focus on when you're older.

Have you ever been to a University campus? There are people of all ages.

I got out of the military and started at 27. Basically I was just so worn out and wanting to be a NEET for a few years on my GI Bill's housing stipend. I got a meme Business Administration degree and I'm now 3 months into my first civilian job ever as HR at a Target Distribution Center.

Absolutely not at all.

I'm 32 and I only have AAS. I plan to go back to college soon to major in Business Admin as that would open up more doors for me and is flexible enough to apply to various of jobs.

Make the best out of it.

do the smart thing and drop out. Learn some actual job skills, not the useless theoretical garbage you'll never use on the job and SJW indoctrination that modern college has become.

zerohedge.com/news/2016-12-21/college-student-earns-40-gpa-then-drops-out-you-are-being-scammed

Canadian military?

4.0 at Kansas State is nothing lol

>GI bill
>Canada

I don't think so.

It's never too late for anything. Hard work always pays off in some way. The universe always sees to it.

How is going to college at 20 late? The median age of going to college in Finland is 21

In North America pretty much everyone goes at 17/18, at the latest 19, anything above that is unusual at least in the cities near where I live and most of my province

>> economics/politics degree

In my hick college town, I regularly encounter failures, fucked up people, who are 35, undergrad degree. What the fuck. And you talk to them and they inevitably: did drugs, prison, or fucked around changing their majors a bunch. If your only 21 you're still cool in my book, so many dumbfuckistan "red shirting" parents that you could probably fit in for your first two years, and honestly after that you'll have made all the friends your going to make in college.

Too late is like 34